Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Movie Identification (Post here if you're looking for the name of a movie)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Thanks,but having looked up the details I'm pretty sure it wasn't any of the Quartermass films,TV series.I actually remember it being kind of dull and eventless and not much happening in it,harldly any special effects apart from the beam and I don't remember seeing any aliens in it.
    It still sounds like the 1979 Quatermass - no aliens, no special effects - the "bad guy" is just a bright light, and Quatermass even thinks it is just a machine, not an intelligence,

The show is mostly just near-future dystopia with street gangs and young people these days gone to the dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Yester

Afternoon all. I'm looking for a film I saw a while back on TV. It is a british historical period drama set in a big country house. The master of the house (who is a right prick) basicly swaps identity with someone else who spends most of the film pretending to be the master of the house. Ring any bells?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,822 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

2 movies I saw way back when and cant remember them now

first one is a western type , probably 50's or 60's . the plot is a group trying to find a massive amount of gold that is visible from the side of the canyon , the only scene I can actually remember is them trying to get out on horse back on a narrow ledge with their saddlebags filled with nuggets, either being chased by "bad guys" or earthquake

second one is a diamond heist from a DeBeers type outfit that skim part of all the diamonds they process to keep prices up. If I remember the end the thief is persuaded to bury most of them is road concrete so as not to crash the diamond market? probably a 60's or 70's movie.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote:
    2 movies I saw way back when and cant remember them now

silverharp wrote:
    first one is a western type , probably 50's or 60's . the plot is a group trying to find a massive amount of gold that is visible from the side of the canyon , the only scene I can actually remember is them trying to get out on horse back on a narrow ledge with their saddlebags filled with nuggets, either being chased by "bad guys" or earthquake

McKenna's Gold
    silverharp wrote:
    second one is a diamond heist from a DeBeers type outfit that skim part of all the diamonds they process to keep prices up. If I remember the end the thief is persuaded to bury most of them is road concrete so as not to crash the diamond market? probably a 60's or 70's movie.

11 Harrowhouse

• Registered Users Posts: 17,822 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

^^ wow Thanks, you know your older movies to be able to get both of them

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

Yester wrote: »
    Afternoon all. I'm looking for a film I saw a while back on TV. It is a british historical period drama set in a big country house. The master of the house (who is a right prick) basicly swaps identity with someone else who spends most of the film pretending to be the master of the house. Ring any bells?

Bumping myself. Trying to think of this is really annoying me.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Sounds like some version of the Prince and the Pauper, but I wouldn't know which one.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭jamesieliz

Yester wrote: »
    Bumping myself. Trying to think of this is really annoying me.

this started annoying me , since i read your post , because i watched it probably a year ago and i couldn't remember the name of it either ;

anyway i went looking for it and it's called :

The Scapegoat (2012)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ExMORTIUS

I am looking for the movie described below.

copy from another site but is what I am looking for.

"I believe this was from 1990s because I recall the images being sleek, like the re-make of Outer Limits. Not grainy. Not cheap film. Not foreign either (like Italy); they spoke English. Pretty sure this was on a cable channel too. The production was slick, but there was also a cheesy feel to it.
    Here is what I recall:
    Two women, one of them in uniform (brunette?) and more sophisticated, the other more relaxed like normal fashion clothes (blonde? skirt?). Both very attractive and in their 20s. We're in the future from the look of the nearly spaceship sleek room (although I don't know that we're actually in space).
    The woman in the uniform/pantsuit is explaining about a device that another scientist is working on, perhaps she works for this scientist. I believe the device was like a small arc or perhaps like Star Trek's transporting device, but the idea was that it disturbed/altered the space around it and one did not have to necessarily walk through a gateway or anything. Purple glow was a part of how its effects took place.
    The other woman talks her into turning on the device (although it hasn't been working?) and we start to see purple glowing things that eventually look like fish -- strange-looking prehistoric fish that are translucent, one's hand goes right through them like ghosts.
    The darker-haired woman explains how dimensions work, that they are on top of each other, so this is all happening at the same time, one doesn't have to walk into another dimension because it is already there and this device allows that to be revealed. She believes the dimension we're looking at to be perhaps like primitive Earth and therefore it is under the ocean.
    At a point we see a human-like form, in what appears to be an astronaut uniform type deal (if I recall that correctly) and inside the helmet is a face that looks part fish and part human; sentient, but transparent too like the regular-sized fish. This understandably distracts and amazes them, although the being doesn't say anything or act violently, nor can we see it completely clearly or in full color.
    At the same time, one of the fish with the razor sharp teeth seems to get more life-like, less transparent and goes for the face of one of the women.
    This causes them to unplug/turn off the device.
    Something is said about the fear/possibility that the beings could've perhaps crossed into our world (since the inhabitants should not have seen us?). And I think the darker-haired woman is excited that the device worked so well.I've tracked down so many obscure things in my life that I enjoyed, but I never did get to see the end of whatever this was (late night on a school night). I hope that I remembered things accurately enough. I usually do. Anyway, I'm really stumped and have searched regularly without luck of the right key words..."

It is not "From Beyond", "Xtro", "TerrorVision", or any "Piranha" film despite the alien fish's similarity to them.

jamesieliz wrote: »
    this started annoying me , since i read your post , because i watched it probably a year ago and i couldn't remember the name of it either ;

anyway i went looking for it and it's called :

The Scapegoat (2012)

Excellent. That's the one. Cheers jamesieliz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

A film I remember seeing in the 80s on video. Science fiction. Main character was Bollard. One scene with a semi naked lady swimming in a lake (which made it memorable for us young boys). :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

darkdubh wrote: »
    I asked about this one before but I'm still none the wiser so here goes again.1970s movie about a Hispanic/Purto Rican teenage boy set in ,I think,New York.He buys a guitar and goes playing and singing in clubs.With the money he earns he buys presents for his parents,when hes presenting the present to his father which he says is "a moustache mug,from England" his father grabs the guitar and is about to smash it but the mother persuades him not to (I think he was ashamed at his son supporting the family financially).A street gang hanging around outside the familys apartment block hassle the lad when he is walking his young sister to school and take her teddy bear off her.Another scene has him trying to avoid the gang by going down the fire escape or something like that.I saw it when I was about five or six so it deffo dates from before 1980 (the teenage boy had a big Jackson Five type afro).

Also bumping cos this is driving me mad,still none the wiser.As I've said before it is not

Purple Rain: Or any other movie starring Prince.It is also not La Bamba. .

Time it was made,almost certainly late 70s.

Very strongly think it was a made for TV movie.

Main character looked very like a slightly younger version of Rembrant from The Warriors.Dosent appear to be that actor though, Marcelino Sánchez.He seems to have done very few films and none matching the details of the one I saw.

LG_the-warriors-cena_1418375607.0115.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Rigardo

Movie like The Burbs... Ok, what I remember about this movie is that it was either from the late 70's or early 80's. The lead was a young black kid maybe 10 or 12 years old. My "Burbs" reference regards the neighbors. I remember an evil mother and her daughter, an innocent girl.

I remember on scene in the movie, as punishment for something, the mother putting her daughter into a bath filled with scalding water. Shortly after (near the end of the movie) the black kid sneaks into the house to rescue her. He gets to her room and her skin is bright red from the hot bath.

This wasn't a super scary, horror movie as I remember seeing it when I was young and not being very scared. I'd say it was a PG or 12's movie.

Thanks for your help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Rigardo wrote: »
    Movie like The Burbs... Ok, what I remember about this movie is that it was either from the late 70's or early 80's. The lead was a young black kid maybe 10 or 12 years old. My "Burbs" reference regards the neighbors. I remember an evil mother and her daughter, an innocent girl.

I remember on scene in the movie, as punishment for something, the mother putting her daughter into a bath filled with scalding water. Shortly after (near the end of the movie) the black kid sneaks into the house to rescue her. He gets to her room and her skin is bright red from the hot bath.

This wasn't a super scary, horror movie as I remember seeing it when I was young and not being very scared. I'd say it was a PG or 12's movie.

Thanks for your help

People Under The Stairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭drake70

darkdubh wrote: »
    Also bumping cos this is driving me mad,still none the wiser.As I've said before it is not

Purple Rain: Or any other movie starring Prince.It is also not La Bamba. .

Time it was made,almost certainly late 70s.

Very strongly think it was a made for TV movie.

Main character looked very like a slightly younger version of Rembrant from The Warriors.Dosent appear to be that actor though, Marcelino Sánchez.He seems to have done very few films and none matching the details of the one I saw.

LG_the-warriors-cena_1418375607.0115.jpg

I never saw your original post until the bump, but your description reminded me of "New York City Too Far From Tampa Blues", an ABC After School Special

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Rigardo

People Under The Stairs.

Spot on! That has been wrecking my head for ages now. Only dawned on me to reach out to the ever helpful Boards community.

Thanks again!

drake70 wrote: »
    I never saw your original post until the bump, but your description reminded me of "New York City Too Far From Tampa Blues", an ABC After School Special

Thats it!Nice one,thanks for that,mystery solved after more than 35 years.The scene I described where the Dad is threatening to smash the guitar starts from 37.30.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

ok, am desperate here so hoping you guys can help me out. the wife seen an advert for a film on irish tv a few weeks ago, she forgot to sky+ it and relied on me to find it.

the problem is she only knows the plot, not the name or actors. it was a 90s film where a woman is separated from her child, when the child is returned she swears its not her child and ends up being sent to an asylum. ( i know, sound great fun ) she is doing me head in to find this film. any suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

soups05 wrote: »
    ok, am desperate here so hoping you guys can help me out. the wife seen an advert for a film on irish tv a few weeks ago, she forgot to sky+ it and relied on me to find it.

the problem is she only knows the plot, not the name or actors. it was a 90s film where a woman is separated from her child, when the child is returned she swears its not her child and ends up being sent to an asylum. ( i know, sound great fun ) she is doing me head in to find this film. any suggestions?

I haven't seen it, so not sure about the asylum part, but sounds a bit like Eastwood's Changeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

thank you so much, she is over the moon, and off my back.

she had me searching for a 90s film ffs, it was 2008. i would never have found it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭Alonso77

jasonb wrote: »
    Hi there...

Not a lot of info to go on for this one, sorry! I was in a local record store today, and in light of yesterday's sad news, they were playing Bowie's 'Low' album. Specifically the instrumental track 'Art Decade':

The moment I heard it I thought it was from a film, and even asked the guy behind the counter. But a Google search has shown up nothing. The melody starts about 12 seconds into the song. It strikes me as something I might have seen in a Film/TV program/Trailer back in the early 80s, kinda Blade Runner/Tron/even Betty Blue, but I know it's none of them. Anyone any ideas if it was used in Film/TV?

Thanks...

J.

Reminds me of the music in Alan Parker film Midnight Express (1978)

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Santan

Very little info to go for on this one but here it goes, the ending of this film is two women are in a house and one of their husbands leaves for work or something. They then proceed to a door in the floor boards which they open and start to lower down a large bucket full of what I can only remember is rice to a guy who is locked up down there. The camera pans to his face and that's it. I think this is a 1980's film but not sure. Cheers if anyone can think of anything

Thriller from 70s or early 80s,can remember very little about it but that it starred a big name actor and he has a showdown at the end of the film on a beach with the main protagonist who has a bodyguard,a big silent fella with a beard and long hair.Main character is fighting the bodyguard and is mostly getting his arse kicked till he gets the better of him and yer man falls down and gets impaled on an anchor thats sticking out of the sand.Thats pretty much all I can remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Gadge

Ben_Nevis wrote: »
    How's about this one:

I remember as a kid a movie I watched, might have seen it once or twice, for the life of me cannot remember what it was called.

It was about a kid and I think he jumped into a cartoon world - it isn't the one with Macauley Culkin but similar. All I remember was at the end seeing those red and white swirls that you see at barber shops, and when he came back to his 3D regular world, although he had been gone for hours, he had in fact only been gone a very short time.

Any help?!

Sounds a lot like this:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Anyone know what 90s space/astronaut film had the line "you think I'm going to quit? We never quit!"?

I've a feeling it's either Apollo 13 or Armageddon and I've another feeling that it's a deleted scene which was in one of the trailers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Ageyev wrote: »
    Anyone know what 90s space/astronaut film had the line "you think I'm going to quit? We never quit!"?

I've a feeling it's either Apollo 13 or Armageddon and I've another feeling that it's a deleted scene which was in one of the trailers.

I'm an idiot. It's Armageddon - 1:58 into this trailer

Any ideas why this scene isn't in the movie?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 DavidKeane

Animation, possibly from the late 80s/early 90s (though could've been from earlier).
    Anime in style to the best of my recollection, or close to it. It was set in a dystonpian world where nuclear power (or something similar) had destroyed everything and radiation was contaminating the land. I think it had fairies/elves too. I've wrecked my head looking for it in the past but to no avail. I know the description isn't much to go on but that's all I can recall. The radiation was portrayed as a red dot that flashed AFAIK. It was for kids but definitely on the darker side. It was on "piped" TV a lot (at least in my memory)

DavidKeane wrote:
    Animation, possibly from the late 80s/early 90s (though could've been from earlier). Anime in style to the best of my recollection, or close to it. It was set in a dystonpian world where nuclear power (or something similar) had destroyed everything and radiation was contaminating the land. I think it had fairies/elves too. I've wrecked my head looking for it in the past but to no avail. I know the description isn't much to go on but that's all I can recall. The radiation was portrayed as a red dot that flashed AFAIK. It was for kids but definitely on the darker side. It was on "piped" TV a lot (at least in my memory)

Could be Wizards from Ralph Bakshi

• Registered Users Posts: 49 DavidKeane

Could be Wizards from Ralph Bakshi

Just googled that and I think it is it! It certainly looks very familiar. Thank you.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 barryegan

Trying to place a film I saw in the 80s. There was a scene at the beginning (I think!) showing a man being tortured by somebody pouring boiling hot water over his hands. Something tells me it might be The Last Emperor?

Advertisement