Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can haz general discussion?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

Can't hurt to hand in a CV or ask for an application form. Let me know if they are?

Of course:)

Ah hell Roe, I need a part-time job damnit :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

How far are you willing to travel? Debenhams in Blanch shopping centre are hiring. It's only about 40 mins from Maynooth on the train and then walking.

How far are you willing to travel? Debenhams in Blanch shopping centre are hiring. It's only about 40 mins from Maynooth on the train and then walking.

Hmmmm....hours depending, thats not too bad a commute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

IKEA
    IKEA will tear us apart.
    Again.

A messy house, huge arguements, deadly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Teabag!

If ya time it right, you can do it in 22min (yes i have tried it) :o:o:o

you get the train to clonsilla, and the bus to the centre.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Train to coolmine, walk to centre!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

The Hitler of grammar Nazi's:

http://www.lamebook.com/inkensitive#comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

No apostrophe required in 'Nazis'.

More importantly, har!

Damn. Thats always the trouble with posting something related to grammar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭gra26

Teabag! wrote: »
    If ya time it right, you can do it in 22min (yes i have tried it) :o:o:o

you get the train to clonsilla, and the bus to the centre.....

WTF you can get a bus to the centre from the train station!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Teabag!

gra26 wrote: »
    WTF you can get a bus to the centre from the train station!!!

yes, the 39 directly across from the station. Or the 236 once in a blue moon, both stop outside dunnes in the blanch centre

As far as I know, you can officially canvas for or against the Lisbon Treaty as of..... 31 minutes ago.

As for the Blanch centre, its fantastic. Makes Liffey Valley look weak. I hate living so near Liffey Valley, its a horrible place.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Saw some pure bullcrap from Coir today. Like, awful bull.

WARNING:LONG AND BORING POLITICAL POST

^ True that banquo,they're a bunch of mentalists.

To be honest, Coir isn't an organisation so much as a front group. They operate out of the same building as several pro-life organisations.

Check this out (Copypasted from various sites)
    Coir:
    60a Capel Street, Dublin 1, IRELAND T: 01 8746858

Youth Defence:
    60a Capel Street
    Dublin 1
    Ireland
    T: 8730463

TruthTV
    60a Capel Street
    Dublin 1
    Ireland
    T: 8730463

Mother and Child Campaign
    60a Capel Street, Dublin 1, IRELAND T: 01 8746858

It's more or less a Youth Defence campaign, that needed rebranding because their name is in the mud for years now .Youth Defence fascist Justin Barrett got outed for his far right connections in GERMANY of all places a few years back (During Nice II) and YD'ers once famously attacked a bunch of choicers with hurley sticks too, so it was more or less decided front groups were the way to go.

A bit of Coir/Youth Defences history you wont find on Wikipedia (from the Irish Times, not exactly a red-daily)

Mr Barrett has attended conferences and spoken at an event organised by Germany's National Democratic Party (NPD). Two years ago he attended an NPD rally in the Bavarian city of Passau as a representative of Youth Defence. His name appears as one of the "honorary guests" at the event in Die Deutsche Stimme (The German Voice), the NPD party newspaper. The NPD described the rally, the largest by the party to date, as a day of national resistance. It was held in May 2000, and over 6,000 party members attended.

Other honorary guests included an Italian right-wing extremist and a former Nazi SS officer, who received a standing ovation.

For those reasons my stomach turned today when I seen they're using James Connolly on one of their posters, it's absolutely disgusting.

The £1.84 poster is hilarious. I am truly amazed they haven't said something about 'the turks' yet, maybe they willl before its through.

Its up to somebody like Jimmy Kelly (Unite Union, was involved with the Waterford Crystal occupation and holds good influence in union circles) or Uncle Joe MEP to come out and rip Coir apart early on. Unless Coir are taken apart early by the NO campaign, god knows what could bizarre story we'll hear next from them. They're going for two votes basically, the Christian right and the anti-immigrant vote.

My own organisation, the WSM, went straight for Libertas last time round and our story and exact findings, written by a journo, spread.

A particular gem from that was this:

"Industry insiders say [McEvaddy's] company has even approached U.S. intelligence agencies about tanking services for detainee transfers, to reduce dependence on foreign air fields." In other words, offering to provide inflight refuelling services to rendition flights so that they wouldn't have to stop over at foreign airports such as Shannon on their way to "interrogate" suspects. A very accommodating offer indeed. McEvaddy was also the figure who got himself appointed to the board of Knock airport with a view to opening it up to US military flights [4]. Although he failed in this venture [5], his willingness to personally champion unpopular measures such as this must no doubt have endeared him to his customers in the US military.

This year, Coir are Libertas. Its amazing how much influence Libertas had last time around.

Any referendum campaign will bring out the oddballs and misguiders. While Coir are my second favourite of the 'I'm mad' groups/individuals (Jim Corr is the best, he honestly doesn't believe 9/11 was carried out by fundamentalist islamists, or 7/7 for that matter, and he thinks Lisbon is part of some NWO) on the Yes side I'm very skeptical of Olivia Buckley who is behind the 'We Belong' group.
    Phoenix magazine (3-16 July 2009) and the Irish Daily Mail (22 August 2009) have both reported on the background of We Belong director Olivia Buckley. In addition to holding executive positions with the Kerry Group, she worked as accounts director for Murray Consultants, dealing with corporate clients such as Treasury Holdings. In politics, she worked as Bertie Ahern's director of communications. Phoenix also reported on We Belong’s funding: Buckley organised an event in the Shelbourne hotel where “various fats cats ... were bled for money to support a business friendly Europe” (Phoenix magazine)

Given Buckley’s ties to the business and political elite, it is deeply disingenous for her to claim, that one of the driving forces behind her organisation was “a group of young Irish people who are amongst the thousands of new unemployed in Ireland hoping for a job and a future in this country” (Irish Times, 28 July 2009).

The real gems will come from the dissident republicans. I got a Republican Sinn Fein leaflet about Lisbon last time around :rolleyes: Worse than the Brits is Brussels, worse than the Brits.

Aw, NUIM site says it has the 09/10 timetables up but it doesn't, it's last years ones :(

Bottom right of this page http://www.nuim.ie/students/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

PrivateEye wrote: »
    WARNING:LONG AND BORING POLITICAL POST

To be honest PrivateEye when I read that I did a :rolleyes: and thought to myself 'here we go, he's going to go on a long winded ignorant defense of these pri*ks and tell us more lies and to vote no' Sorry about that! hehe. I was very wrong.

Anyone else not bothered checking all the updated and new threads anymore? There's so many of them now!

Ooooh, creepy post count!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

I hear if you vote Yes for Lisbon that a snake comes to your house and eats all the children that live there and then the snake gives birth to an evil spirit who digs up the graves of your relatives and tells them you want to abort babies and then they turn into zombies with the sole intent of killing you and eating your brains and if they don't get you you'll burn in bleeding heart liberal hell. All fact I tells ya

To be honest PrivateEye when I read that I did a rolleyes.gif and thought to myself 'here we go, he's going to go on a long winded ignorant defense of these pri*ks and tell us more lies and to vote no' Sorry about that! hehe. I was very wrong.

Ha ha! To be honest, I think Coir as a group of individuals are a problem all year around, not just when it comes to the issue of the European project. They bring their own eh....unique input into everything from abortion, to marraige equality, to science research. They're funded by a mini-bus full of wealthy people, many of whom aren't even Irish. It's tragic. I'm expecting to see them on campus too, given the enthusiasm of the handful I've spoken to so far.

Truthfully, and its controversial enough to say so, if Lisbon WOULD lead to marraige equality and access to abortion services in Ireland, I'd be on the Yes side of the fence. In reality these issues have nothing to do with the treaty, so the debate should be restricted to the facts.

This time last year it was the Ganleyites and not the Christian Soldiers stirring it. There's amazing potential for laughs in a referendum campaign involving both Coir and Michael O' Leary.

libertas_reality.jpg
    ^See what we did thar?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭kaiser soza

I hear if you vote yes Mary Harney puts you at the top of the organ transplant list,Biffo will buy you a drink and Bertie gives you a signed brown envelope,no cash though,after all he worked hard for all that.

HALP.

Only asking because the old woman I live with (mam or something...) is nagging me.

Going into 2nd Year.
    1) I haven't heard a THING from the college about the registration fee for this year. How much to pay, where to pay etc. Is this normal?
    Do we get an email? Pay when we get back?

2)I'm doing History SH. I haven't heard a thing about picking modules etc. yet either. Is this normal?

The fact I can log into moodle etc. means nothing has gone wrong obvs.

Thanks*

*is not a noob.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

You'll get an email/something in the post.

When you register, you pick your modules. For now, read up on them on the departmental website/click through to them when you check your timetable (the new format is uber cool imo) and see which ones you like the look of so it's easier to pick out when it comes to re-registering (out of the optional ones, generally you have one or two that are compulsory)

Everyone will know when it's time to re-register, don't worry. :)

You Your mother will be registering online this year. Honestly can't remember when I did it last year, but I was living in Maynooth at the time, so its sometime over the next two weeks or so. Could be around the 14th.

As for price, no idea.

2 near instant responses and a Notification to tell me Teabag! was in with the info.

I love our little forum <3

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

I've got nothing from the college since the exam results.

the figure €1576 is ringing in my head for some reason, but I could be wrong. Obviously ignore this if you're a grant receiving bastard *shakes fist at your free monies*

€1577 this year so it is. Allandanyways you were so close!

wow i was actually close. my third eye is getting stronger!

• Advertisement

I know a Maynooth student with swine flu, is this win?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement