Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to cook monkfish

• 02-05-2013 8:21am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've got a couple of monkfish fillets (about 200g) each.

It's such a tasty fish I don't feel the need to overcomplicate things, I just want to season and cook.

I was thinking of just frying in the pan for a couple of minutes either side and then placing in the oven at 150 degrees or so for 8-10 minutes.

How does this sound? I just want to make sure not to overcook it.

Does anybody have any tips/hints to get the tastiest results?

PS I bought these in Kish Fish in Smithfield, is there a fishmonger of similar quality in D2/4/6 area?

THANK YOU

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,664 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

ebixa82 wrote: »
    Hi,

I've got a couple of monkfish fillets (about 200g) each.

It's such a tasty fish I don't feel the need to overcomplicate things, I just want to season and cook. I

I was thinking of just frying in the pan for a couple of minutes either side and then placing in the oven at 150 degrees or so for 8-10 minutes.

How does this sound? I just want to make sure not to overcook it.

Does anybody have any tips/hints to get the tastiest results?

PS I bought these in Kish Fish in Smithfield, is there a fishmonger of similar quality in D2/4/6 area?

THANK YOU
    I like to slice it into medallions and quickly pan fry it in neutral oil or oil and butter. Make sure you get the silver skin off. Lightly season before cooking and squeeze a bit of lemon on after.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

I like to slice it into medallions and quickly pan fry it in neutral oil or oil and butter. Make sure you get the silver skin off. Lightly season before cooking and squeeze a bit of lemon on after.

That's the simplicity I was hoping for.

Is there any need to coat in a bit of flour?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,664 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

That's the simplicity I was hoping for.

Is there any need to coat in a bit of flour?

You can do but I usually don't bother. If you don't have a decent non stick pan it might be better to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

The Kish website has a decent recipe for what they call "blackened cajun monkfish" that we make now and again.

You might want to keep the seasoning simpler than that but would recommend it anyway. Usually have it with potato cubes and home-made salsa (simple salsa of tomato, onion, coriander and chilli)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

I slice mine into medallions too and do it in a lovely white wine cream sauce on the hob, eaten along with crusty bread with loads of butter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

I remove the inner silver skin , cut into medallions, coat in flour with loads and loads of black pepper, and fry on a very hot pan until a crust formed, which is only a few minutes. I serve with a red pepper sauce.

That has given me an idea for the weekend

BTW, how much did you pay for it ? Its a wild price, these days.

huskerdu wrote: »
    I remove the inner silver skin , cut into medallions, coat in flour with loads and loads of black pepper, and fry on a very hot pan until a crust formed, which is only a few minutes. I serve with a red pepper sauce.

That has given me an idea for the weekend

BTW, how much did you pay for it ? Its a wild price, these days.

I got it on offer at 25e/kg

My friend has just told me he bought some in Mortons in Ranelagh for 35e/kg, that is scandalous.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

smoke it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

I got it on offer at 25e/kg

My friend has just told me he bought some in Mortons in Ranelagh for 35e/kg, that is scandalous.

€25/kg is a great price.

€35/kg is a standard price for monkfish a lot of the time.
    Savage, but hard to get it cheaper than that.

huskerdu wrote: »
    €25/kg is a great price.

€35/kg is a standard price for monkfish a lot of the time.
    Savage, but hard to get it cheaper than that.

Kish Fish had it on offer at 25, I think it's normally 30e there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement