Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BMW 318 e36 vs e46

• 07-06-2007 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭

ok after driving a few Golf GTis and not being very impressed I've moved towards buiying a 318 coupe.

Went to drive an BMW e36 318 coupe yesterday but it had been sold so decided to try out an e46 318 ci that was on the lot. VERY impressed. It was much nippier than I expected and very smooth.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=695530

Problem is; my budget is up to 11k so I reckon I'll be limited to e36s.

Is there much difference in performance and overall comfort?

The interior doesn't look great on e36s, one thing that impressed me in the e46.

I'm trying to find an e36 on carzone that i can try out today.

btw, i'm looking at coupes only.

bavarian-boards visitors might have seen this thread, posted there when boards was down.

since posting this i've reconsidered the 323i. insurance isn't much more so the only downside is the extra tax. Problem is, a clean 323i coupe is very hard to find here. So i guess the same question applies. e36 323 or e46?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭fletch

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

yep, sorry, fixed that.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'd go for the E46 on safety alone. Have a look at www.euroncap.com - the E46 is OK to good, the E36 is really awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Linford

I would have thought a Golf GTI would be nippier than a 318ci.

I have an E46 325ci and I tested a 318 before and wasn't that impressed. I wouldn't let a few hundred euro turn you off buying the likes of a 323ci, it is a much better car than the 318.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I depends which engine the e46 318ci has - the older ones have 1.9 litre engines that get about 115bhp. The newer ones have 2.0 units that get about 140bhp. I was really looking in to getting a 320ci myself but I don't think I could afford to run it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,103 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Yeah the 318Ci got the much better 2.0 litre valvetronic engine in 2001 afaik.

If you could stretch to the 320Ci then might get it cheaper due to the slightly higher running costs of the 2.2 litre engine. Here is a nice high spec one: http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=661850

Alternatively you should go over to the UK and buy a higher spec 318Ci yourself. Plently to choose from over there.

the e46 318ci has 118bhp versus the 140bhp in the e36 318is but its actually faster than the e36!

e36 0-60 10.9
    e46 0-60 10.1

I have to admit I was surprised when i got home and found it was only 118bhp..., it felt a lot faster than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭Elessar

bazz26 wrote:

If you could stretch to the 320Ci then might get it cheaper due to the slightly higher running costs of the 2.2 litre engine. Here is a nice high spec one: http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=661850

Alternatively you should go over to the UK and buy a higher spec 318Ci yourself. Plently to choose from over there.

That would be my ultimate car, except it's automatic and doesnt have climate control.

OP: The 318Ci is indeed nippy, especially at higher revs. However, I'm driving a polo so anything is nippier. But if you're not a speed demon, a 318 will do you fine.

My head is currently wrecked thinking about getting either a 320Ci or 318Ci! 318 is cheaper to run and has everything anyone needs really.

Get the E46, the e36 design is showing its age now imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭Elessar

quarryman wrote:
    the e46 318ci has 118bhp versus the 140bhp in the e36 318is but its actually faster than the e36!

e36 0-60 10.9
    e46 0-60 10.1

I have to admit I was surprised when i got home and found it was only 118bhp..., it felt a lot faster than that.

I know what you mean. It felt like the one I was test driving had a turbo installed (which it didn't of course). Leaning towards a 318 here..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

bazz26 wrote:

that 320 is suspiciously cheap!!!

if its genuine looks like serious value!

this is a nice e36

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=379677

Cyrus wrote:
    that 320 is suspiciously cheap!!!

if its genuine looks like serious value!

this is a nice e36

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=379677

I think once you go over 2.0 litre (especially 4 cylinder engines anyway)your really limiting your potential buyers in this country. This plus the fact that it has 86k on the clock. While not huge mileage on a 7.5 year old car, a years driving or so more and your at the magical 100k mile mark which puts alot more buyers off.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,703 ✭✭✭✭unkel

bazz26 wrote:
    I think once you go over 2.0 litre (especially 4 cylinder engines anyway)your really limiting your potential buyers in this country. This plus the fact that it has 86k on the clock. While not huge mileage on a 7.5 year old car, a years driving or so more and your at the magical 100k mile mark which puts alot more buyers off.

Get the much better and higher specced car for less than its simple sibling. Just like magic :)

unkel wrote:
    Get the much better and higher specced car for less than its simple sibling. Just like magic :)

Indeed. Good if your buying, not so good if your selling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Elessar wrote:
    I know what you mean. It felt like the one I was test driving had a turbo installed (which it didn't of course). Leaning towards a 318 here..

Are you sure that e46 0-60 figure isnt for the later E46 318ci's with circa 143bhp?

• Registered Users Posts: 44,972 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Andrewf20 wrote:
    Are you sure that e46 0-60 figure isnt for the later E46 318ci's with circa 143bhp?
    if you click the link, it says teh 10.1 figure is for the 99 model with 118bhp. When did the later version come out?

Andrewf20 wrote:

yes, my mistake, the newer engine had a better 0-60 http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/specs/data-detail.aspx?deriv=11712

edit: sorry that was for the e36.

for the e46, the engine was upgraded to the 143bhp model in 2001.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_E46

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Wasn't the 318 E36 Coupe called a 318iS ?

Doesn't this have 136BHP???

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The 318i in coupe form was the 318iS. However, there was a saloon 318iS as well as the 318i.
    There was no 318iS in the convertible, touring or compact version but there was a 318i (or 318ti for the compact).

quarryman wrote:
    ok after driving a few Golf GTis and not being very impressed I've moved towards buiying a 318 coupe.

Went to drive an BMW e36 318 coupe yesterday but it had been sold so decided to try out an e46 318 ci that was on the lot. VERY impressed. It was much nippier than I expected and very smooth.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=695530

Problem is; my budget is up to 11k so I reckon I'll be limited to e36s.

Is there much difference in performance and overall comfort?

The interior doesn't look great on e36s, one thing that impressed me in the e46.

I'm trying to find an e36 on carzone that i can try out today.

btw, i'm looking at coupes only.

bavarian-boards visitors might have seen this thread, posted there when boards was down.

since posting this i've reconsidered the 323i. insurance isn't much more so the only downside is the extra tax. Problem is, a clean 323i coupe is very hard to find here. So i guess the same question applies. e36 323 or e46?

just wondering what put you off the golf? i had one and liked it well enough :) i had mine chipped to 200bhp so was plenty quick, had the black recaro leathers which look great and i lowered it and fitted some BBS Chs, simple mods but people liked it a lot

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

kbannon wrote:
    The 318i in coupe form was the 318iS. However, there was a saloon 318iS as well as the 318i.
    There was no 318iS in the convertible, touring or compact version but there was a 318i (or 318ti for the compact).

The 318ti had the same engine as the 318is in either the Coupé or Saloon, not the standard 4 pot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭MarkN

The GTI has 150 bhp and a fair chunk of torque, it's undoubtably quicker than the 318ci but only by a FRACTION! They also handle like Jade Goody.

I would go for the BM as it's a classier car and I owned a MKIV GTI by the way.

Having said all that, there is no way in the world I would buy anything less than a 6 pot BMW. If you can't afford a proper BMW for the moment then hang back for a bit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

I have a 320i ( 6 cylinder) and I have to say that that the 318 ( 4cylinder) was better.

In what way? 320 has more power, sounds way better and has similar fuel economy, haven driven both i cannot agree with you, imo 6cyl is the only way to go in a bmw

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

I have a 320i ( 6 cylinder) and I have to say that that the 318 ( 4cylinder) was better.

I'm only hoping you got that the wrong way around. :eek:

Hj

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

HungryJoey wrote:
    I'm only hoping you got that the wrong way around. :eek:

Hj

Me too! Nice sound / performance out of the 6 cylinder

Advertisement