Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

M11/N30 - Gorey to Enniscorthy [open to traffic]

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

L1011 wrote: »
    The website version of Google Maps (and satnavs with no live traffic) simply multiple road segments lengths by the speed limit to determine a time. They don't account for tractors, no overtaking opportunities, roads with inappropriate or otherwise unobtainable limits etc.

They are no use to compare to real life

I don't think that is right. Google allows you to time with or without traffic - at least it does on my computer.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I don't think that is right. Google allows you to time with or without traffic - at least it does on my computer.

Estimated, and itself useless. Traffic figures from 5pm Friday won't match other times of day, etc. The more rural a road the worse the source data is too.

Look - you were using a google guess to try counter actual experience. It doesn't work, no matter how you try to package it up its total guesswork.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Dr_Bill

jd wrote: »
    I think this was considered initially. I suppose going east it makes for a faster trip Rosslare/Wexford to Dublin.

http://www.wexford.ie/largefiles/M11_Gorey_EIS/M11%20G2E%20EIS%20Volume%201%20NTS.pdf (page 14)

Where's there's muck... there's money! It all goes down to economics and essentially how much muck has to be moved to build the road. If material has to be imported onto the site to build the road the cost goes up significantly.

So while geographically it might not appear to make any sense, financially it makes a whole lot of sense to you and me the taxpayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭VR6

So much for Cllr Hore's announcement that the contract would be signed within the first 2 weeks of October. They have come and gone, like so many hundred's of false dawns for NRA projects before them.

Why do we have to put up with this rubbish ? I will eat my hat if the contract is signed this year and I will not be surprised if work starts before Spring 2016 or even later.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,680 ✭✭✭jd

VR6 wrote: »
    So much for Cllr Hore's announcement that the contract would be signed within the first 2 weeks of October. They have come and gone, like so many hundred's of false dawns for NRA projects before them.

Why do we have to put up with this rubbish ? I will eat my hat if the contract is signed this year and I will not be surprised if work starts before Spring 2016 or even later.

To make it worse Eamonn Hore is not a politician - he's the Director of Services for Wexford CC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,629 ✭✭✭✭josip

Now that there's no possibility of a November election it would be madness to waste the positive PR around contract signing and loadsa jobs now.
    Better to wait until a month or so before the election and the new will still be fresh in everyone's minds.

Looked into this :) , very reliable source.
    Sod being turned Enniscorthy By-pass on Friday.
    New Ross By pass to follow next month

Sorry don't believe a word of it !

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Mellifera

Reckon Contract will be signed before the end of the year. But, you're right, the work won't likely start before spring 2016. Aside from difficulties muckshifting in winter, the scheme itself still has to be detail designed and signed off. That all takes time.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭highwaymaniac

Financial close for this project was achieved today according to Yvonne Jones of BAM PPP. She was speaking at an Engineers Ireland lecture this evening on the N7 Newlands Cross Grade Separation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Nothing happens until the European Investment Bank sign the loan over and as of right now its still only approved.
    http://www.eib.org/projects/pipeline/index.htm?start=&end=&status=&region=&country=ireland&sector=

The contracts for the Gort-Tuam road were signed the same day the EIB signed.
    http://clareherald.com/2014/04/gort-to-tuam-motorway-contracts-signed/

http://www.eib.org/projects/loans/regions/european-union/ie.htm

Well Brendan Howlin's Wexford office saying first sod being turned tomorrow. We'll see!
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10208128009786398&set=a.2234414988284.136611.1485233030&type=3&theater

Well Brendan Howlin's Wexford office saying first sod being turned tomorrow. We'll see!
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10208128009786398&set=a.2234414988284.136611.1485233030&type=3&theater

Somebody is having a laugh here. Absolutely NO chance of this happening tomorrow !!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Somebody is having a laugh here. Absolutely NO chance of this happening tomorrow !!!

You do realise that the sod can be officially turned tomorrow without construction starting immediately don't you?
    The sod was turned on the M17/18 in May 2014. Construction only started last spring.

You do realise that the sod can be officially turned tomorrow without construction starting immediately don't you?
    The sod was turned on the M17/18 in May 2014. Construction only started last spring.

Yes of course, you are right about that. It's the fact that no official notice has been given for a sod turning, neither on RTE nor in any newspaper of the NRA website. For such a large national infrastructure project this is unthinkable.

That said, I will be very happy to be proved wrong !

Friday makes sense - Dail doesn't sit, Kehoe and Howlin get their pictures in next week's local newspapers. Rinse and repeat for New Ross next month!

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭annfield1978

Contract was signed yesterday

Fact

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

This guy works for Brendan Howlin, so I very much doubt that he would put something like this up on facebook if it wasn't true. And as others have said, just because the sod is being turned tomorrow does not for a second mean that construction is going to commence any time soon (as the M17/M18 Gort to Tuam shows).

• Registered Users Posts: 11 delaido

Contract
    signed!! Yipee

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭sonnyblack

delaido wrote: »
    Contract
    signed!! Yipee

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/construction/consortium-led-by-bam-signs-350m-motorway-deal-1.2393750

The sunny south east gets closer and closer to Dublin

• Advertisement

sonnyblack wrote: »

I expect the sod will be turned in January and not today. The Irish Times article also states that the new road will be operational in August 2019 and not 2018 as claimed up till recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,629 ✭✭✭✭josip

I expect the sod will be turned in January and not today. The Irish Times article also states that the new road will be operational in August 2019 and not 2018 as claimed up till recently.

Yes, they need to extend the finish date to be closer to the next general election after the Spring 2016 one.
    If they finish in 2018, the feel good factor from the new road opening would have diminished by the time the subsequent election comes around.
    Finish the road in 2019, election in 2020. Everyone happy.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

josip wrote: »
    Yes, they need to extend the finish date to be closer to the next general election after the Spring 2016 one.
    If they finish in 2018, the feel good factor from the new road opening would have diminished by the time the subsequent election comes around.
    Finish the road in 2019, election in 2020. Everyone happy.

Next election after will either be later in 2016, when an SF/associated left/mess coalition fails to agree a budget; or 2021 if either the current government or an FG/FF coalition goes in. It won't be 2020.

? I will eat my hat if the contract is signed this year
    Pics please :)

Pics please :)

My indigestion is too bad !!

My apologies - your information on the contract was 100% accurate, but I haven't seen any evidence of sod turning yet.

My apologies - your information on the contract was 100% accurate, but I haven't seen any evidence of sod turning yet.

Other than the photo in the post above yours?

OOPS too late to retract !

I'd say all we see this side of Christmas is some prep work eg site compound for equipment etc

• Advertisement

I'd say all we see this side of Christmas is some prep work eg site compound for equipment etc

The upturned sod will be well re-grown by the time the diggers move in !

Overall great news though. Any inside info on the New Ross bypass ?

Advertisement