Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Running with the birds or for the birds?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Dory Dory wrote: »
    I would LOVE the Guiness bread recipe. I make a chocolate stout cake (with Guiness stout) that is deadly. I'll share that recipe if you don't already have it.

Yum.... I do not have that recipe, I'd love it, sounds fab.:D

450g/1lb Coarse Wholemeal
    2 level teaspoons Bread Soda
    25g/1oz Pinhead Oatmeal
    4 tablespoons Demerara Sugar
    100g packet Chopped Walnuts (optional)
    50g/2oz butter
    1 tablespoon Treacle
    400ml Guinness Method:

1. Preheat oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas 5. Lightly grease a 2lb loaf tin.
    2. Put margarine and treacle into a saucepan over a low heat and allow the margarine to melt.
    3. Meanwhile, put the Wholemeal, pinhead, sugar and chopped walnuts into a bowl. Sieve in the bread soda and mix well.
    4. When the margarine has melted, add the Guinness and stir.
    5. Add the liquid to the dry ingredients and mix well. Transfer mixture to prepared tin and bake for about 40 to 50 minutes until risen and when tapped underneath has a hollow sound..
    6. Wrap in a clean tea towel and allow to cool.
    Isn't it nice to have the time to share recipes rather than just training tips now that we are "between marathons":) I'm sure we'll be asked to take this to the baking thread (I presume there is one), this must be a breach of some charter;), discussing baking on here.
    Although to be fair Guinness Bread is a fantastic way to carb-load

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Marthastew wrote: »
    Isn't it nice to have the time to share recipes rather than just training tips now that we are "between marathons":) I'm sure we'll be asked to take this to the baking thread (I presume there is one), this must be a breach of some charter;), discussing baking on here.

Although to be fair Guinness Bread is a fantastic way to carb-load

It is nice to have time to share....and I agree, we are discussing carb-loading, which we all know is so important to race performance. PLUS, skip on over to Krusty's thread - he's doing a pimped version of reviewing various brands of beer and how they relate to various running distances. If that's not a stretch!! ;)

Here's the chocolate stout cake recipe - I do increase the icing by 50% (increase to 3 cups heavy whipping cream, 1.5 pounds bittersweet chocolate) because I feel it's too skimpy as is and I am a certified choco-holic! It's a very dense cake, which I like.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Chocolate-Stout-Cake-107105

It is nice to have time to share....and I agree, we are discussing carb-loading, which we all know is so important to race performance. PLUS, skip on over to Krusty's thread - he's doing a pimped version of reviewing various brands of beer and how they relate to various running distances. If that's not a stretch!! ;)

Here's the chocolate stout cake recipe - I do increase the icing by 50% (increase to 3 cups heavy whipping cream, 1.5 pounds bittersweet chocolate) because I feel it's too skimpy as is and I am a certified choco-holic! It's a very dense cake, which I like.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Chocolate-Stout-Cake-107105

I have one word for you...... YUM:D
    that looks delicous. I can't wait to make it.

Saturday April 28th
    Recovery 6.31 miles avg pace 8.48 min/mi
    I ran the DLRBay 10K route again for this and I took it nice and easy and enjoyed the wild windy sea views for the first mile. This route definitely gets easier in the second half as I noticed my pace creeped up with the same amount of effort.

Sunday April 29th
    Rest day
    15 minute abs and some foam rolling.

total miles for the week 34.83

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

you could always bring samples to some of the races and we'll test the recovery ability as the carbo loading will be too late by then!!!!! hopefully we'll get to meet sometime:D

i'll have to get back to baking..sometime!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

What a terrible waste of good Guinness :mad::D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Younganne wrote: »
    you could always bring samples to some of the races and we'll test the recovery ability as the carbo loading will be too late by then!!!!! hopefully we'll get to meet sometime:D

i'll have to get back to baking..sometime!!!

+1 I'll be happy to test the recovery qualities of your baking too :p

Emer911 wrote: »
    +1 I'll be happy to test the recovery qualities of your baking too :p
    skip on over to Krusty's thread - he's doing a pimped version of reviewing various brands of beer and how they relate to various running distances.

My sister-in-law has also made Stella Artois bread, maybe we could steal some of the Klown's special beer and turn it into good carbs for himbiggrin.gif

digger2d2 wrote: »
    What a terrible waste of good Guinness :mad::D

Digger - they make Guinness every day. Plus, what could be better than both drinking AND eating Guiness at the same time?? (don't answer that!! ;))

Monday April 30th
    LT Tempo run, 2.01 mile w/u (@8.49), 5.03 mile @ 7.22, 1.01 mile cooldown (@8.48)
    One hour Body Pump class

Another new speed session for me to try out and as I started out all I could think was how the meaning of the word “session” has changed considerably in my vocabulary:D. With my college drinking sessions a distant memory I decided to do this on a flat route and as I love the sea I headed in towards Blackrock along the coast. During the warm up I pretty much figured out that the wind was definitely at my back but my new way of running is to take each mile as it comes so I put all thoughts of slower miles on the return out of my head. I was aiming for 7.15 min/miles and of course this was no problem for the first 2 miles with the wind at my back, my average was 7.07 but I was sort of trying to bank a few seconds for the return (I’m sure this goes against tempo runs and most definitely the "one mile at time" mantra). Sure enough when I turned round my pace slowed and it was hard work. “At least it’s not raining” I thought and then of course it started to rain:) My pace slowed during the third mile but I picked it up a little for the 4th and 5th mile to average 7.22. While the pace wasn’t great I’m most pleased that I didn’t give up (I kept suggesting to myself that 4 miles would be enough) and although I wouldn’t say I enjoyed this run I’m glad I did it and I felt fine during the cooldown. As I headed back into the gym I bumped into a guy I’ve been seeing out running for the last few months, you know when you cross paths with someone on a daily basis and you wonder what they’re training for? This was the first time we’ve met when we’re not running so it was great to have a chance to chat, turns out he’s Spanish, working in in a restaurant locally and was training for Madrid marathon which he has run 8 times and he got a PB this time:D I was delighted to share the fact that I had been training for an Ultra so we patted each other on the back and off we went. I’d love to say his name was Manuel (a la Fawlty Towers) but unfortunately it was José:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,491 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

My sister-in-law has also made Stella Artois bread, maybe we could steal some of the Klown's special beer and turn it into good carbs for himbiggrin.gif
    Just so we're all clear: Stella Artois should not be referred to as beer. The permissable terms aree pi$$-water and dregs (but never this).

Just so we're all clear: Stella Artois should not be referred to as beer. The permissable terms aree pi$$-water and dregs (but never this).

"Me and my partner used to drink Stella all the time - and every time we'd end up in terrible arguments," offers one (female) (Emer911???) correspondent on an internet discussion board (boards.ie???). "4 years ago we decided to drink a lighter beer and eversince [sic] we have not argued like back then."

Very brave of Mrs Klown to share her story in such a quality newspaper..... Well done to both of you for switching to Miller Lite, excellent choice of beer, makes for a much calmer household

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

"Me and my partner used to drink Stella all the time - and every time we'd end up in terrible arguments," offers one (female) (Emer911???) correspondent on an internet discussion board (boards.ie???). "4 years ago we decided to drink a lighter beer and eversince [sic] we have not argued like back then."

Very brave of Mrs Klown to share her story in such a quality newspaper..... Well done to both of you for switching to Miller Lite, excellent choice of beer, makes for a much calmer household

ummm... no! :confused:

(and both of those are just muck anyway! :D Give me a 5am Saint or a Galway Hooker any day)

Tuesday May 1st
    Dip in the 40 Foot
    45 minute lower body class
    Rainy recovery run, 6.01 miles @ 9.08 pace
    45 minute Pilates reformer class

I haven’t been down to the sea for a dip for a week because it has been too rough but it was high tide this morning so I knew there’d be plenty of water to make it safe enough. luckily I had said I would meet a pal there as it started to lash rain just as I headed out the door and I was sooooo tempted to turn back in the door and turn on Jeremy Kyle:pac: (I do not watch that programme)

By the time I arrived down to the beach I was so wet from the bike ride I really should have just jumped in in my clothes… the water was actually lovely and it’s always good fun when it’s choppy and bouncy. Jumped on the bike and headed up to the gym where I dried off, did lower body class then out the door into even heavier rain for my recovery run. The first day in a long time that I haven’t met any other people running, I did meet one or two walkers and I saw three abandoned umbrellas.
    I worked hard at keeping the pace 9 min/miles or slower as I have to start getting more disciplined with my paces (work harder on hard days, easier on easy days). Back into the gym for another shower and then a super Pilates class with lots of core work.

Not a bad way to spend a horrible rainy morning:D

Digger - they make Guinness every day. Plus, what could be better than both drinking AND eating Guiness at the same time?? (don't answer that!! ;))

I'm trying soooooo hard not to ;)

Emer911 wrote: »
    Give me a Galway Hooker any day)

Now we are talking my language :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Tuesday May 1st
    Dip in the 40 Foot
    Rainy recovery run, 6.01 miles @ 9.08 pace

I haven’t been down to the sea for a dip for a week because it has been too rough but it was high tide this morning so I knew there’d be plenty of water to make it safe enough. luckily I had said I would meet a pal there as it started to lash rain just as I headed out the door and I was sooooo tempted to turn back in the door and turn on Jeremy Kyle:pac: (I do not watch that programme)

By the time I arrived down to the beach I was so wet from the bike ride I really should have just jumped in in my clothes… the water was actually lovely and it’s always good fun when it’s choppy and bouncy. Jumped on the bike and headed up to the gym where I dried off, did lower body class then out the door into even heavier rain for my recovery run. The first day in a long time that I haven’t met any other people running, I did meet one or two walkers and I saw three abandoned umbrellas.
    I worked hard at keeping the pace 9 min/miles or slower as I have to start getting more disciplined with my paces (work harder on hard days, easier on easy days). Back into the gym for another shower and then a super Pilates class with lots of core work.

Not a bad way to spend a horrible rainy morning:D

I need to go lie down after reading all that!

as it started to lash rain just as I headed out the door and I was sooooo tempted to turn back in the door and turn on Jeremy Kyle:pac:
    jcsmum wrote: »
    I need to go lie down after reading that!

I know, it's shocking that a SoCoMom would watch that tripe :D

Wednesday May 2nd
    90 minute hot Yoga class
    Round 2 recovery run, 8.57 miles, avg pace 9.45

The hot yoga is tough going and if I didn’t think it was really good for me I don’t know if I’d stick with it. I definitely found it a little bit easier in this class but I have a long way to go before my poses look anything like the instructor’s:D
    My friend who ran Paris marathon has had a little bit of the post-marathon blues and this wasn’t helped by the recent torrential rain and a flu she’s just recovered from. She is lucky enough to be injury free and has been dying to get out for a run and wanted company so I abandoned my planned intervals (I'm ashamed to say I didn't need too much convincing:)) and said I’d go with her. We took it nice and easy, I wanted to add on a few miles as the pace was so slow and she insisted on coming even though I told her she should probably not do more than 4 miles first time out, like most of us runners she is stubborn and doesn’t take advice easily so she stayed with me;)

Thursday 3rd May
    CrossTraining; 45 minute boot camp class, 45 minute lower body class, Half hour spin class
    I’m taking advantage of no set schedule at the moment to get in as much strength building as possible so I decided to make the most of this running free day. Jelly legs at the end of the day.

Friday May 4th
    Dip in the 40 Foot
    LSR 15.41 miles avg pace 8.44
    My dip in the sea was medicinal in that I was slightly hung-over, nothing like a jump in the sea to clear the head.
    One of my swimming pals had the water thermometer with him and apparently it’s almost 10 degrees Celsius now, it still feels very cold.

Nice easy, relaxing run into Sean Moore Park and back again, perfect day for a run, not too windy and only a little rain. I really enjoyed an old marathontalk podcast with Paula Radcliffe and I kept a close eye on pace, I’m determined to get into the habit of sticking to pace from now on.

• Advertisement

Saturday May 5th
    Rest day.

Saturday dawned and I found myself making “hang sangwiches” for the pinnacle of my oldest son’s GAA career;), Féile. His strengths lie in rugby but 8 years on he is also still with his GAA club, his team has had many ups and downs, in fact mostly downs and they have had two years without a single win but they continue to play and for the most part enjoy it.
    So we headed off to our Féile location with parents and children all fully expecting loss after loss again. Our schedule had three matches on that morning and the semi-final and finals were to be played on Sunday morning; we were looking forward to a lie-in on Sunday;)
    Saturday turned out to be a reminder to us all to never give up, they narrowly lost their first match then went on to win the next two matches, to say the coaches and the parents were proud would be an understatement. A very happy, tired squad of 23 young men left those pitches full of hope having won a place in the semi-final:D

Sunday May 6th
    Recovery Run 8.74 miles avg pace 9.15 min/mile

Up bright and early making more “hang sangwiches” I decided that I’d better get my run done early so I came up with the plan of Mr Stew driving the car and boys while I would run to the semi-final in Sandyford, I wanted my run to be at least 6 miles so I took a little detour which turned out to be a little longer than expected as I managed to get a lost. Recovery pace was easy enough as I was gradually running uphill after three miles.
    I arrived about 10 minutes into the match convinced that my son and his team would be in the throes of being destroyed but they were hanging on for dear life; both sides were well matched and were playing very well. Half time had our team down by one goal and two points but we were all so happy to have made it this far we didn’t really care. With one minute to go we were only one point down and we scored a point, hallelujah:D Extra time of five minutes each half and all of the boys were exhausted, but somehow we scored two goals and one point! They had won a place in the final:D:D:D
    Into our cars and over to Blanchardstown for the final and on the way I warned my son that the next match would be really tough and that all he could do was his best, the team we were playing were the team they had lost to the day before.
    What a final, we were winning, then they were, then we were… both teams played their hearts out but in the end we lost by only one goal:( Although we were disappointed we were all so happy for our sons and their “never give up” attitude and they were thrilled with their runners up medals and the other team was very gracious in victory.
    But the day was not over yet… He still had a rugby final to play! Having both parents as marathon runners means that our son is not lacking in endurance so in the car on the way back he got changed into his rugby kit while eating and drinking what he could, we arrived at the grounds one hour before kick-off and I had time to fly home and have the shower I’d needed since that morning:o
    Again both teams were well matched and our son and his team played their hearts out. He has always loved playing rugby and luckily in this case this passion is translated into talent.
    At the end of a long weekend (and subsequently this VERY long post, sorry:))...........this time the final ended in a WIN!!!! Definitely a day to remember for us all:D

First let me say that I am so jealous of the uber cool classes you get to attend, like...hot-to-trot yoga, booty-licious camp, sinful spin class, and so on....

And second let me say, HAVE YOU SEEN THE NEW QUALIFYING TIMES FOR NEW YORK??? :eek: Here they are....gulp....

new guidelines for guaranteed entry

And huge congrats to your son (and his mom and dad) for such fine accomplishments this weekend!! Superbly done!! :D

First let me say that I am so jealous of the uber cool classes you get to attend, like...hot-to-trot yoga, booty-licious camp, sinful spin class, and so on....

And second let me say, HAVE YOU SEEN THE NEW QUALIFYING TIMES FOR NEW YORK??? Here they are....gulp....

new guidelines for guaranteed entry

I KNOW!!!! They are Horrific!
    luckily for me, some wonderful boardsie started a thread this time last year warning of the changes that would happen for 2013 and I went to Berlin last year hoping (and failing) to get a quailifying time. I toed the line in DCM not knowing what the effects of Berlin still in my legs would be but I definitely had New York in my mind. From 20 miles on when it became obvious I would make the qualifying time I was smiling all the way.

Poor MrStew says he will never make it to New York and is plotting a bank robbery so he can go with a travel company

And I do love all the fun classes and I feel that the strength I get from them helps keep me injury free. You have your pool, I have my bootylicous Camp:D

Total miles for last week 46.8

Monday May 7th
    rest day:D:D:D

Tuesday May 8th

Dip in the 40 Foot

McMillan 10K workout total 10.89 miles
    My legs were quite tired during the lower body class and I realised I hadn’t stretched since Thursday:eek: so I headed out for this session not knowing how I would get on as it was the first time I’ve done one like this and my legs were even more tired after the class.
    Nice day, not too windy and the rain only came and went. Again I took the easy option of in and out to Sean Moore park, nice and flat.
    2 mile warm up, avg pace 8.48, followed by 3 X 2 miles at 7.04, 7.03 and 7.03 pace with 3/4 mins easy between each 2 miles. 2 mile cool down at 8.08 pace.
    I actually really enjoyed this session and the sense of achievement I got from not giving up was quite surprising. I did have to spend a lot of time fighting my inner lazy-self who kept saying such things as “take it easy… you’re meant to run slow…. who cares how fast you run…. etc.”

I followed this with a much needed Pilates reformer class and the stretching was almost joyous:)

Wednesday May 2nd
    General aerobic 7.61 miles avg pace 8.46
    Recovery run 8.67 miles avg pace 9.11
    I had made arrangements to meet a friend of mine who I used to work with in the airline but the 1000 mile challenge is still on my mind so I decided to use this as an opportunity to get some miles in by running in and out of the city. I took the quick not so scenic route on the way in and I managed to get there first as she had trouble parking the car:). She of course thought I was mad as she couldn’t (and wouldn’t) run to save her life;) In fact she is so far removed from the world of running that she asked me if there was "some sort of run" on in London a couple of weeks ago as she had passengers on the plane going to it:o I tried to explain how wonderful it would be to run in the London marathon but it fell on deaf ears.
    We had brunch, two coffees and a breakfast crepe for me, we chatted for a good while and then I was on my way home again. I took the longer more scenic route and stayed by the sea the whole way home. About two miles into the run I realised that the breakfast crepe was maybe not the best idea, I was parched with the thirst.
    All in all a very successful way to combine running and catching up with non-running pals but next time I’ll stay away from the bacon and maybe have some water with the coffee:)

Thursday May 10th
    90 minute hot Yoga class
    No running
    Still tough going but I am definitely getting better at this, my legs felt great after the class.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Brown soda bread report - hubby lovedlovedloved it!! Woo hoo! Thank you so much for the easy and tasty genuine recipe. It's a keeper. :)

Hi. I robbed this recipe at the time too but only got around to trying it this week - the kids loved it ! Thanks . Now if only I could get a fraction of your running dedication, working on it ! - great log. C

kit3 wrote: »
    Hi. I robbed this recipe at the time too but only got around to trying it this week - the kids loved it ! Thanks . Now if only I could get a fraction of your running dedication, working on it ! - great log. C

Hi C,
    Glad you enjoyed it, my kids love the bread also.
    I'm very lucky, my kids are in school til 2.30 every day so I have no excuse not to be dedicated:) Any races in the future for you? I usually find the races keep me dedicated. Kildare Half for me this Sunday, I'm really looking forward to it

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭jonny99

Hi C,
    I'm very lucky, my kids are in school til 2.30 every day so I have no excuse not to be dedicated:) Any races in the future for you? I usually find the races keep me dedicated. Kildare Half for me this Sunday, I'm really looking forward to it

Word of warning..Dont let Kit3 fool you Marthastew,theres a serious hardcore there beneath that exterior..Her baking, i cant vouch for..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Hi C,

Yea, find the same thing with races. Doing Kildare half as well but don't know what to expect to be honest. For once I have enough long runs done but still unsure. 3 kids & working fulltime so most runs are at lunchtime & have had a bad spell with badly timed meetings etc. Still , no excuses :rolleyes: looking forward to it. Safe to say you'll be well home before me :) after that aiming fir Dublin half and a second crack at DCM. Can't wait

Advertisement