Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Running with the birds or for the birds?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Well done, fantastic time. Didn't even know this was on, must check out the events section more....on second thoughts, better not.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Marthastew wrote: »
    ...new 5K PB, 20.37, First in my category and finished 15th out of 225 runners:D:D

Wow. Great running - and with a hangover too :eek: You are unreal :D
    Congrats on the new PB (again!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Congrats on another pb, well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

jcsmum wrote: »
    Well done, fantastic time. Didn't even know this was on, must check out the events section more....on second thoughts, better not.
    :)

And congrats on your 5K PB also!! You've recovered well after Limerick.
    We'll have to get together for the next one... Sub 20 here we come:)

Total miles for last week 37.92

Monday May 21st
    90 minute hot Yoga class
    45 minute body Pump
    I’m actually starting to enjoy the pain that is hot yoga.

Tuesday May 22nd
    Dip in the 40 Foot
    45 minute lower body class
    45 minute Pilates class
    LT tempo run; 1.1 mile warm up avg pace 9.14, 4 miles avg pace 6.56, 2.3 mile warm down at 8.15 pace
    15 minute Pilates reformer stretching
    Glorious day for a run, even a tempo run.

In other news… the organisers of the Rathfarnham 5K have been in touch with my category prize… Dinner for two at wagamama in Dundrum:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

4 miles at 6.56? Good grief.....I wonder just how far sub 3:30 you're going to go!! You are flying!! :)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    4 miles at 6.56? Good grief.....I wonder just how far sub 3:30 you're going to go!! You are flying!! :)

My Berlin training starts next Monday so this week I'm allowing myself run whatever I like:)
    This time round I'm taking things very seriously and I'm going to stick to the plan (P&D) as much as I possibly can.

I know you've a half in about 6 weeks, what's next for you after that? Or are you happy enough running round your field with the cute cat then jumping in the pool with the frog? (I'm pretty sure I would be:))

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

My Berlin training starts next Monday so this week I'm allowing myself run whatever I like:)
    This time round I'm taking things very seriously and I'm going to stick to the plan (P&D) as much as I possibly can.

I know you've a half in about 6 weeks, what's next for you after that? Or are you happy enough running round your field with the cute cat then jumping in the pool with the frog? (I'm pretty sure I would be:))

Well, you are just going to blow that 3:30 to bits. Serious training and talent you have.

Yes, half on Achill in about 6 weeks. It's not a fast course with all its hills, so I am not going to fret if I don't PB...but I should certainly be faster than I was last year when I ran it. After that....well....I have been dragging my feet about signing up for a tri, but I really should, and there is one here in our town in August. Then I have a marathon I will be targeting and seriously training for in October. And then.....I've signed up for "the Goofy" at Disney in January. The Goofy is a half marathon on one day followed by a full marathon the next day. It's all about the t-shirts. ;)

I love the convenience and privacy and beauty of my field and pool and cat and frog, but the field definitely adds "drag" to my run which is good on the one hand (more bang for my buck), but is bad on the other hand (it's tougher to make my target paces). Once I start my marathon training, I may venture out of the field from time to time to see if the "extra work" is paying off.

Whew! Sorry for the long answer!! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭Alicano

I knew it was you!
    I started from the first page and all the dip in the sea stuff plus the positive tone and perfect grammer, had me thinking.
    And then I read about these three muskateer characters!?
    You were training like a beast for connemara. Wow!
    Look forward to a run with all of you guys sometime in the near future.
    Great thread too!
    Hope all is good with you and Mr.Stew.

Al. :)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Well, you are just going to blow that 3:30 to bits. Serious training and talent you have.

Yes, half on Achill in about 6 weeks. It's not a fast course with all its hills, so I am not going to fret if I don't PB...but I should certainly be faster than I was last year when I ran it. After that....well....I have been dragging my feet about signing up for a tri, but I really should, and there is one here in our town in August. Then I have a marathon I will be targeting and seriously training for in October. And then.....I've signed up for "the Goofy" at Disney in January. The Goofy is a half marathon on one day followed by a full marathon the next day. It's all about the t-shirts. ;)

I love the convenience and privacy and beauty of my field and pool and cat and frog, but the field definitely adds "drag" to my run which is good on the one hand (more bang for my buck), but is bad on the other hand (it's tougher to make my target paces). Once I start my marathon training, I may venture out of the field from time to time to see if the "extra work" is paying off.

Whew! Sorry for the long answer!! :o

Oh my goodness, the year is flying by... If Mr Stew doesn't book a holiday I'm hoping to catch you on your East coast stop of your tour of Ireland . As you know from my log, I am on a permanent holidaysmile.gif but the poor man needs a break with his family so we might be away.
    I have a friend who runs the Disney in January, he says it's good fun.
    And you MUST sign up for the Tri in August:D

• Advertisement

Alicano wrote: »
    I knew it was you!
    I started from the first page and all the dip in the sea stuff plus the positive tone and perfect grammer, had me thinking.
    And then I read about these three muskateer characters!?
    You were training like a beast for connemara. Wow!
    Look forward to a run with all of you guys sometime in the near future.
    Great thread too!
    Hope all is good with you and Mr.Stew.

Al. :)

How lovely to see you on here Al:D

Mr Stew and I are starting our Berlin training next week so we'll hopefully catch up with you for a long run over the summer. What's next for you after your fantastic marathon PB? Or are you too busy givng the music fans what they really want?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Well done on the 5k – that is a fantastic result. And given the dehydration party variables at play I reckon you’re closer to sub 20 than you think (if not already there on a fully-prepared/goal race day). We are really similar at the minute and I did MSB in 20:29 and then Leixlip in 19:57 7/8 weeks later – you’ll be on the round numbers table after your next 5k race no doubt! Delighted you placed first; that is just brilliant. Enjoy every little bite of that meal. (And if Mr Stew is busy, you know where to find me ;))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

Well done on the 5k
    I enjoy this log . I don't know where you get all the energy from. Sub 20 must be a goal somewhere along the line? Keep it going.

Well done on the 5k
    I enjoy this log . I don't know where you get all the energy from. Sub 20 must be a goal somewhere along the line? Keep it going.

Thanks, A sub 20 5K is most definitely my next goal and with some more hard work I hope to get there this summer.
    I'm surprised at how much I enjoyed the race as I had thought I really only enjoyed the longer distances.

Fabulous sunny weather:cool::cool::cool: so only a brief update as opposed to my usual ramblings and nonsense, plenty of time for that when the rain returns....
    Wednesday May 23rd
    LSR 16.01 avg pace 8.47
    A lovely day-trip to Bray promenade, I headed out at midday so it was hot but the sea breeze along the coast was super. I stopped briefly at 11 miles to buy a drink. Followed this with a high-tide dip in the 40 Foot, heaven!

Thursday May 24th
    Recovery run 6.07 avg pace 9.11
    Half hour spin class

Friday May 25th
    Medium Long Run 10 miles avg pace 8.36
    Out the door at 1pm and it was so hot I had to double check I hadn’t accidentally popped on an extra layer of clothes. My youngest son and I then braved the crowds and gangs at the 40 foot for a dip before yet another ambulance arrived to take a drunk off the beach, we'll have to get down early from now on while the sun is shining.

Saturday May 26th
    Recovery run 6.44 miles avg pace 8.54
    Filled the car with youngest son and three of his team-mates to head to magical Marlay Park for a GAA football blitz. Thoroughly enjoyed my run around and even had time to cheer them on for the last two matches.
    My runner's tan is coming along nicely.... white feet and shorts lines, Garmin strap mark, various vest marks... Just as well all I ever wear is running clothes anyway!

Sunday May 27th
    6.6 miles avg pace 8.40

Mr Stew and I went for a glorious easy run up to Killiney Hill and on down to the 40 Foot for a dip.

Total miles for the week 52.52:)

Monday May 28th
    Dip in the 40 foot
    LT Tempo run, 2.51 miles warm up @ 8.56, 4.07 miles @ 7.17, warm down 2.61 miles @8.34

Today marked the start of my Berlin training and I’ve decided (rather optimistically) to go with the 55 – 70 Miles per week plan. I’ll definitely stick with it through the first mesocycle and if I’m finding it too much I’ll drop back the mileage. The only reason I may need to do this is that I have a lot less time over the summer with the boys off school.
    Marvellous Mr Stew has now been elevated to Majestic Mr Stew as he went to all the trouble of personalising my plan and typing it out for me, he has also done a pace chart and a HR rate chart, I’ll need to revise the heart rate chart as judging from the few times I have worn the HR monitor I think my max is too low.
    I should add that although I know he loves me dearly I’m pretty sure he only did this cos he was doing his own plan:D
    The plan started with a rest or cross training day but I need that rest day on Sunday so I decided to do the LT tempo run instead. I also had another reason for heading out in this run…. it was to be a momentous occasion in my running calendar, so far this year I had run 9,995.5 miles:)
    As usual with a tempo run I stayed on the nice flat route in and out to Sandymount and I timed it that I would turn around and head back home as I hit 1,000 miles. It was fairly hot at midday and the song I was rather aptly listening to at that point was Snoop Dog “I just wanna make you sweat”, I’m sure the cars driving by were wondering what was wrong with the crazy woman covered in sweat throwing her hands in the air but I was so happy I didn’t care:)
    I found it tough but not too tough and I really feel that tempo runs teach me discipline as much as help me physically.

I’ll have to come back and reread this post in about 15 weeks’ time when I am tired and exhausted, but for now I’m enjoying the great feelings of hope and enthusiasm that come with the start of a training plan.

Tuesday May 28th
    Dip in the 40 foot
    GA run, 7.09 miles 9.02 pace AM; 2.19 miles 8.45 pace PM
    Today was a 9 mile General Aerobic run, I’ve read and reread P&D but I’m still not really sure as to what the purpose of a GA run is. According to my Mr Stew pace chart these runs should be run at 9.11 to 9.59 pace, which is even slower than LSR/recovery pace. Can anyone enlighten me?
    The reason my run was split up was I was on duty taking the school kids to a GAA match, my 11 year old knows me so well, he said to me “Mum you can just bring us to the pitch, go for a run then come back at the end”, so I did. I arrived back to see them get their trophy:).
    The second part of this run was done with my 9 year old who asked me to take him to the running track in Kilbogget as he wanted to “practice his strategy for the Community games and school sports day”:) I’m raging I didn’t time us properly as he asked me to race/pace him for 800 and I’m pretty sure it took us about 3 mins 30, I’ll definitely time us the next time. As we jogged back to the car he told me “I’m going to win a marathon someday”:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

GA run, 7.09 miles 9.02 pace AM; 2.19 miles 8.45 pace PM
    Today was a 9 mile General Aerobic run, I’ve read and reread P&D but I’m still not really sure as to what the purpose of a GA run is. According to my Mr Stew pace chart these runs should be run at 9.11 to 9.59 pace, which is even slower than LSR/recovery pace. Can anyone enlighten me?

To quote the great book page 141 :D
    General Aerobic runs in clude your standard moderate effort runs up to 10 miles. The Are slower than LT runs, shorter than ML runs and faster than recovery runs. The intenetion of GA runs is to enhance your overall aerobic conditioning through boosting your training volume.........For most runners the optimal training intensity of these runs is 15-25% slower than Marathon pace or 70-81% of max HR. Because the primary purpose of these runs is to increase your training volume; if you're too tired to do a hrad training session the next day then you are runing these runs too hard.

So they should definitely befaster than recovery. For me they are around the same pace as an LSR (mayne a touch faster).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Congrats on the 1,000 miles!
    If you're upping the mileage for the Summer then that will have to make you the favourite for 2,000miles so!

Regarding the GA runs, I was also a bit confused by this. Meno has pointed out what the book says already. There was a bit of a discussion about the same thing on my log:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056474071&page=14
    Check out from post 206 onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Well done on the 1000 miles. Judging from your log you should hit 4000 by the end of the year ;)
    Best of luck with the Berlin training.

• Advertisement

menoscemo wrote: »
    To quote the great book page 141 :D
    General Aerobic runs in clude your standard moderate effort runs up to 10 miles. The Are slower than LT runs, shorter than ML runs and faster than recovery runs. The intenetion of GA runs is to enhance your overall aerobic conditioning through boosting your training volume.........For most runners the optimal training intensity of these runs is 15-25% slower than Marathon pace or 70-81% of max HR. Because the primary purpose of these runs is to increase your training volume; if you're too tired to do a hrad training session the next day then you are runing these runs too hard.

So they should definitely befaster than recovery. For me they are around the same pace as an LSR (mayne a touch faster).

Thanks for that... very kind of you not to just say RTFM:D
    I'll have a read of Belcara's log also.... always some pearls of wisdom to be found there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Congratulations on 1000m, fair play to you, you'll be at 2000 before some of us reach the 1000, but hey thats the way it goes...Someday we'll catch up with you;)(in my dreams)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

I was at a conference out your direction yesterday. I walked by your gym and considered going for a 10 mile run, followed by a hot yoga for beginners class, followed by a cold pilates for improvers class, followed by a leisurely sail around the bay and a quick swim with the jellyfish, before making some chocolate banana bread and going back for the conference afternoon session…but then I realised I wouldn’t have enough time to redo my make-up if I did…so I just went for the coffee instead.. ;)

Wednesday May 30th
    LSR 14.02 miles; avg pace 8.38
    Plan called for 15 mile LSR but I was in a hurry to get to my friend’s house where I knew there were bagels and coffee so I sped up a little at the end and cut it short. As time goes on I know I will have to remain stricter on pace but it’s still early days….. My excuse and I’m sticking to it.
    The bagels were yum:)
    Thursday May 31st
    Recovery 6.04 miles; avg pace 9.14
    Rain:( so I decided to make use of the time and spent the entire day cleaning since I had abandoned the house in favour of the sun. I was wrecked in the evening but forced myself out on a recovery run (plan called for 5 miles but I was making up the mile from yesterday). Lovely Vico road for a lovely, lovely run.
    Friday June 1st
    MLR 11.08 miles; avg pace 8.48
    The boys also had to day off school so I was up bright and early with the birds for this one… Glorious way to start the day.

Friday evening I headed into the RDS to collect my number for the WMM on Monday, this will be my first Women’s mini-marathon, in fact my first 10K race. The expo was a lot different to others I have been to; fake tans, manicures, clothes, fashion shows….. I was in a rush so I bypassed all of those and registered, all the volunteers were really friendly and so enthusiastic. The lady who got my number was so sweet, when she scanned my page she said “Oh, you’re Elite” I burst out laughing and told her I wasn’t really that fast! McMillan gives me 42.50 after my 5K two weeks ago but given the reputation this race has for crowds even up towards the front I’m not sure what I’ll manage, I plan to give it my best but not get stressed, I get the impression the day is more about fun than times, that’s ok, I like fun!
    On the way out I stopped by the cookery section and learnt how to fillet a chicken…. Who says it’s impossible to be a runner AND a domestic goddess?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

^ You're right at the front, you'll be grand crowds-wise. Last time I did it (2010) I had the bog-standard sub-60 min runners number, got there reasonably early, and started literally about 20 feet from the front. Course is pretty fast, so give it a good lash :)

You'll also get the fun of seeing walkers jump in at Holles St and at the Belfield flyover just because they "wanted to beat the crowds" :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Best of luck for monday.
    I want to hear tales of pain and sufferring for once ;)

The course is dead flat and I imagine that up with the eilites there won't be very much congestion, you'll fly it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Enjoy Monday, as you say its all about fun, so make sure you have fun up the front;)

i'm with you on the bypassing fake tans, manicures, pedicures etc:p, not my scene give me a LSR anyday instead....natural runners tan and black & missing toenails;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

I'll be marshalling somewhere around Donnybrook so I'll be sure to keep an eye out for you.
    Best of luck with it. If you're registered as Elite you'll be grand. See you then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Good luck & enjoy it, its a great course. I did it the last 2 years and loved the atmosphere.

• Advertisement

^ You're right at the front, you'll be grand crowds-wise. Last time I did it (2010) I had the bog-standard sub-60 min runners number, got there reasonably early, and started literally about 20 feet from the front. Course is pretty fast, so give it a good lash :)

You'll also get the fun of seeing walkers jump in at Holles St and at the Belfield flyover just because they "wanted to beat the crowds" :pac:

I actually even know somebody who did that a few years ago, my neighbour was telling me about it today when I told her I was running on Monday.. she was suitably embarassed.
    menoscemo wrote: »
    Best of luck for monday.
    I want to hear tales of pain and sufferring for once ;)

The course is dead flat and I imagine that up with the eilites there won't be very much congestion, you'll fly it.

I promise not to chat to people and to suffer as much as possible.
    By the time I start you will be on your fifth/sixth pint?

Good luck on Monday, you and your team will have a super day:)
    Younganne wrote: »
    Enjoy Monday, as you say its all about fun, so make sure you have fun up the front;)

i'm with you on the bypassing fake tans, manicures, pedicures etc:p, not my scene give me a LSR anyday instead....natural runners tan and black & missing toenails;)
    I was a little tempted to have a fake tan spray to fill in the gaps from my runner's tan and also I was wondering if they could paint in some fake toe-nails.....
    Emer911 wrote: »
    I'll be marshalling somewhere around Donnybrook so I'll be sure to keep an eye out for you.
    Best of luck with it. If you're registered as Elite you'll be grand. See you then.

I'll be looking out for you and will look forward to a shout out... I'm hoping for clouds..... not so much for me but for you, I know you hate the sun:)
    DigiJem wrote: »
    Good luck & enjoy it, its a great course. I did it the last 2 years and loved the atmosphere.

thanks J, very, very best of luck to you on Monday in Cork, I'm sure you'll do really, really well...

Advertisement