Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Running phoenix park

• 20-10-2014 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi

I want to start training for a 5k , I'm hoping to go twice a week Tuesdays and Thursdays in the evenings for 8 weeks and I live close to the phoenix park so it makes sense to train there.

Does anyone know of any groups / clubs I can join for people looking to start training ?

I know of one but its €128 and it doesn't really make sense to me to pay for it.

It would be great if anyone knows of a group of a few beginners that would be up for it ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Donore harriers fit 4 life

They'd let you join in for a couple of sessions to try it out I'm sure

• Registered Users Posts: 32 tkam2014

looks good I might give these a call later , I am completely new to running and very unfit ha so hopefully they have a beginners option for me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

tkam2014 wrote: »
    looks good I might give these a call later , I am completely new to running and very unfit ha so hopefully they have a beginners option for me

Always the option of downloading the couch to 5k app and following that programm. Would be easier on the pocket, as in free.

Running by yourself might be easier at the start as if you're with people fitter than you, you might be tempted to push yourself more than your current fitness level to keep up. The main thing at the start is to go slower than you think you should.

ye just dark evenings in the park on my own doesn't sound like the smartest idea ! ha

I need motivation to get up and go , i know once I go home and it even looks like there might be a rain drop coming netflix is being switched on ! where as if I know there is a group there and going ill get up and go no matter what the weather

I wouldn't like to be put in a really fit group and then be completely put off it , I done couch to 5k last summer and enjoyed it but I'm basically starting from the start again

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I don't know anything about the Donore group specifically, but the Fit4Life groups are all supposed to be for newer/less experienced runners, an easy entry way into running

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭whelzer

hey op google dublin runners and meetup.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭ooter

ye just dark evenings in the park on my own doesn't sound like the smartest idea ! ha
    I train on my own in the p park regularly but wouldn't dream of heading in once it gets dark,conyngham road would be perfect though,especially if you're only training for 5k.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Chesterfield ave is fine on your own. Lots of other runners out and well lit (ish) + plenty of cars going up and down that keep it lit.

Advice there would be to run on on the path with traffic. Some idiots put their headlights on and they'll blind ye!

Im on the opposite side of the park, Navan road area ashtown gates are closest to me , maybe I can try the navan road rather than the park might be a better idea now that its getting dark so early

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭overpronator

Im on the opposite side of the park, Navan road area ashtown gates are closest to me , maybe I can try the navan road rather than the park might be a better idea now that its getting dark so early

I run around that area quite a bit, you could use the Navan road and cut down onto Blackorse avenue to make nice loops of varying distances. There are always plenty of people and traffic on those roads too so it's very safe I'd guess.

• Advertisement

I run around that area quite a bit, you could use the Navan road and cut down onto Blackorse avenue to make nice loops of varying distances. There are always plenty of people and traffic on those roads too so it's very safe I'd guess.

Great Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Great Thanks :)

I've also ran a good few different loops. I have 7k/10k/13k/22k loops of the city, all including Phoenix Park, from Phibsboro.

The side of the park which you are on generally feels most open and safe.

Here's a route you could try:
    https://www.google.ie/maps/dir/53.3719099,-6.3319214/53.370912,-6.3335157/53.3692973,-6.3339127/53.3667174,-6.3262577/53.3646624,-6.3236077/53.3602896,-6.3262255/53.369782,-6.3486114/53.3708767,-6.3336366/53.3719176,-6.3321654/@53.3650152,-6.3306768,15z/data=!4m2!4m1!3e2?hl=en

It would be darkest when crossing from along the side (bottom right of the map in the link) to the middle (bottom left of the map in the link). Some deer were under the trees there one night and the reflections of their eyes scared the crap outta me for a minute until I realised what they were.

No harm getting a light. It can help you see or at least let other runners/cyclists/cars know you are there. Lidl have armbands with lights in them at the moment. Maybe buy one in there. You can also get lights for your head (and probably armbands with lights) in sports shops and/or online.

Slydice wrote: »
    I've also ran a good few different loops. I have 7k/10k/13k/22k loops of the city, all including Phoenix Park, from Phibsboro.

The side of the park which you are on generally feels most open and safe.

It would be darkest when crossing from along the side (bottom right of the map in the link) to the middle (bottom left of the map in the link). Some deer were under the trees there one night and the reflections of their eyes scared the crap outta me for a minute until I realised what they were.

No harm getting a light. It can help you see or at least let other runners/cyclists/cars know you are there. Lidl have armbands with lights in them at the moment. Maybe buy one in there. You can also get lights for your head (and probably armbands with lights) in sports shops and/or online.

This looks great thanks a mill for this defo gonna try it :-)

Advertisement