Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Running without suppliments!

• 14-04-2014 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

Hi All,

I've been running for the past 15 months now. I've gone from 0 to my second marathon since Jan 2013.

My question relates to Sporting Nutrition. I don't take Protein or Whey or anything and I'm wondering would now be a good time to start. Here is some background. I started running really for weight loss. I weighted over 19st, lost 3st purely with Weight Watchers and then started running at 16st. I went on and lost another 4st to reach a weight of 12st.

When I started training for the Dublin marathon my weight fluctuated up and down 7lbs but I wasn't too bothered as I was running. Same happened with Connemara. My weight is around 12st 7lbs now but my body shape is completely different to what it was before the marathons.

I run a lot (5 times a week) and go to Bootcamp twice a week for my cross-training. I dont feel like I'm missing out on anything, but having never taken them - how do I know what I might be missing out on? (if you get me)

Should I be taking any sport supplements? What would ye runners recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭morceli

quinlivan wrote: »
    Hi All,

I've been running for the past 15 months now. I've gone from 0 to my second marathon since Jan 2013.

My question relates to Sporting Nutrition. I don't take Protein or Whey or anything and I'm wondering would now be a good time to start. Here is some background. I started running really for weight loss. I weighted over 19st, lost 3st purely with Weight Watchers and then started running at 16st. I went on and lost another 4st to reach a weight of 12st.

When I started training for the Dublin marathon my weight fluctuated up and down 7lbs but I wasn't too bothered as I was running. Same happened with Connemara. My weight is around 12st 7lbs now but my body shape is completely different to what it was before the marathons.

I run a lot (5 times a week) and go to Bootcamp twice a week for my cross-training. I dont feel like I'm missing out on anything, but having never taken them - how do I know what I might be missing out on? (if you get me)

No need to take anything if your getting everything from your diet. I'd stay away from supplements unless you have a need.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

thyroid

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

To be perfectly honest,
    You don't need them, just eat properly and you'll be fine

What sort of mileage are you even doing in a week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

If it's not broke...................

• Registered Users Posts: 24,550 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Supplements are just to supplement something you're not getting enough of in your diet.

Eat properly and you'll get everything you need.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭jane82

They do have calories in them. You have to remember that.
    You can get pretty much any supplement from a better diet.
    I wouldnt bother with them unless you felt you needed a certain foodtype and couldnt get it any other way.
    Id work out my diet ins and outs. Then Id find the best ratio for a runner. Then Id get that into me dietwise.
    For eg 30per cent protein 30 carbs. 40 fat.(this is just a wild ratio that counts to 100 google the proper one)
    If I couldnt get my diet to this and needed say more protein Id go with a protein shake.
    They arnt any better than food they just want you to believe they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

More protein with more exercise and you should be fine I have raw eggs in the morning, chicken breast for lunch and full fat milk. Took all that silly stuff too before. No need for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Something I have started to take is Beetroot juice once a week, its good for you overall.
    Get it in a juice shop in temple bar, contains apple,pear, beetroot,lime and other stuff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭jane82

rom wrote: »
    More protein with more exercise and you should be fine I have raw eggs in the morning, chicken breast for lunch and full fat milk. Took all that silly stuff too before. No need for it.

I could be wrong on this but as far as I know a boiled egg is better nutritionally than a raw one.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

jane82 wrote: »
    I could be wrong on this but as far as I know a boiled egg is better nutritionally than a raw one.

Not much in it it seems, 10% more fat in cooked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭quinlivan

I should probably focus on getting more protein into my diet from dairy but apart from that, I'll stay clear of them of now. Like I said I don't feel like I need them, but then imagine if someone says: if you had been taking them you could be so much better.

They seem extremely expensive and when I am not looking to bulk up, I don't know if I really need need them

Thanks for the input

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

I should probably focus on getting more protein into my diet from dairy but apart from that, I'll stay clear of them of now. Like I said I don't feel like I need them, but then imagine if someone says: if you had been taking them you could be so much better.

They seem extremely expensive and when I am not looking to bulk up, I don't know if I really need need them

Thanks for the input

+1 for the beetjuice, definitely have noticed a difference since I started drinking it. I take antioxidants after every run aswell and this has also made a difference, recover way quicker than I used to. I take Astaxanthin and superphyte, plus a fruit & veg smoothie every day.

SuperValu sell the good beetroot juice. Jack white. Good stuff.defo drops my heart rate a few beats.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

thyroid

Having spent a few years suffering from an over active thyroid gland this is so true :(

SuperValu sell the good beetroot juice. Jack white. Good stuff.defo drops my heart rate a few beats.

How much is it by the way? I get the same make(1litre) for 3.99 in dunnes but I've seen it at 6 quid in other shops.

tunguska wrote: »
    +1 for the beetjuice, definitely have noticed a difference since I started drinking it. I take antioxidants after every run aswell and this has also made a difference, recover way quicker than I used to. I take Astaxanthin and superphyte, plus a fruit & veg smoothie every day.

How often do you drink it? I tend to drink 500ml twice a week.

How often do you drink it? I tend to drink 500ml twice a week.

1 litre lasts me 3 days so its around about 330mls per day. I mix it with lemon juice and cold water to make a pint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

I use the concentrated version (beetroot juice) that I get in Nourish that you dilute. Is this as good as the stuff you pour straight out of the carton? It works out a lot cheaper for me.

Ososlo wrote: »
    I use the concentrated version (beetroot juice) that I get in Nourish that you dilute. Is this as good as the stuff you pour straight out of the carton? It works out a lot cheaper for me.

Have you tried the stuff from the carton ?

Have you tried the stuff from the carton ?

I have tried the Beet-It from the carton but not the brand you mentioned in an earlier post which seems a lot cheaper. Just wondered if the concentrated stuff would be considered as nutritious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Axiomatic

I found the best supplement I ever took and still do to this day is Cellfood.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

Axiomatic wrote: »

Based on the FDA warning, and other doubts, I'd steer clear! The claims all sound like what the homeopathy pushers were saying and use pseudo science to convince the gullible.

Did you have a look at the list of ingredients with the concentrated version? Personally I always go for 100% natural as concentrated drinks tend to have sugar(and other things) added. The beet-it juice is something like 90% beet juice + 10% apple juice, nothing else. I know its more expensive but for your long term health I think its the way to go.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

lgk wrote: »

Cooked egg protein has a higher bioavailability, so it's nutritionally superior.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Did you have a look at the list of ingredients with the concentrated version? Personally I always go for 100% natural as concentrated drinks tend to have sugar(and other things) added. The beet-it juice is something like 90% beet juice + 10% apple juice, nothing else. I know its more expensive but for your long term health I think its the way to go.

Never even thought of looking at the ingredients. Blonde moments...:o
    It's '100% concentrated beetroot juice. No added preservatives' so I guess it's just as good!
    Only downside, is that if it spills you're fc1ked as it stains so badly as it's so concentrated.

Never even thought of looking at the ingredients. Blonde moments...:o
    It's '100% concentrated beetroot juice. No added preservatives' so I guess it's just as good!
    Only downside, is that if it spills you're fc1ked as it stains so badly as it's so concentrated.

Ok it sounds solid enough. I reckon you'd have to contact the manufactures themselves to get the nitrate concentration and compare it with the non-concentrated version (Unless it states on the container what the nitrate concentration is).
    The colour is very deep though, the amount of T-shirts I've ruined at this stage......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,962 ✭✭✭opus

Axiomatic wrote: »

Had to Google that one, the very first hit isn't very encouraging!
    CELLFOOD® (NuScience Corporation) is marketed as an "oxygen+nutrient supplement" for body detoxification, providing bioavailable oxygen to the body. However, the concept of ingesting oxygen is nonsense.

Will admit to drinking one of those litre cartons of beetroot juice split between the night before & the morning of any long races. Can't really say if it helps much but doesn't cause any problems and at the very worst it's some extra hydration.

opus wrote: »
    Will admit to drinking one of those litre cartons of beetroot juice split between the night before & the morning of any long races. Can't really say if it helps much but doesn't cause any problems and at the very worst it's some extra hydration.

and it's one of your five/seven/whatever a day;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

jane82 wrote: »
    lgk wrote: »

I am intrigued by this. So boiling a humble egg creates fat. I wonder what chemical reaction is occurring here.

And if it's true, does that make it nutritionally better or worse?

I am sceptical of much of the information out there on nutrition.
    This is a good example why.

• Advertisement

Ok it sounds solid enough. I reckon you'd have to contact the manufactures themselves to get the nitrate concentration and compare it with the non-concentrated version (Unless it states on the container what the nitrate concentration is).
    The colour is very deep though, the amount of T-shirts I've ruined at this stage......

Hence why i go to staple foods in Temple bar and get a small bottle made up for me, 5 euro ago but saves the mess.

I am growing beetroot at the moment on the allotment, so there will be a mess to come!!!

Advertisement