Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nicky Byrne to replace Colm Hayes

Options
  • 04-02-2014 6:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭

Just announced by will Leahy, Nicky Byrne is to take over the 11-1 talk show on 2fm.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Lolz

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Caledonman

Like anyone else, he deserves a chance to see how he gets on, but not holding out much hope. If they go with a more musical chat show, he will be good but don't think he has the skills for a general chat show. I assume Colm will be facilitated in another show, just to keep the wage bill up!!

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

The merry go round, circus and joke that is 2fm continues.

Hayes will probably get a raise! Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Once again, Dan Healy does a U turn.

From last July -
    New 2fm boss Dan Healy has said the station is to focus on content rather than personalities, and that the Westlife singer won’t be returning.

Nicky covered for Ryan Tubridy recently, and even said he’d love to present more radio for the state broadcaster, but it doesn’t look likely.

“Why would we bring in personalities, when we already have some of the biggest personalities in Irish broadcasting?” he told the Herald.

http://radiotoday.ie/2013/07/no-more-2fm-programmes-for-nicky-byrne/

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭LeakyGee

Dan Healy. What a bull s*it artist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,119 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

From today www.rte.ie/2fm/static/2014/0204/502185-guess-who-just-signed-for-2fm/
    Head of 2fm, Dan Healy said: “I am thrilled that Nicky is joining the team. I started to talking to Nicky about 2fm as soon as I arrived. I believe that Nicky will appeal to young audiences through instant likeability and humour. Following our breakfast show announcement last week Nicky is the latest high profile bagging for 2fm....watch this space.”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭roshje

Is Colm Hayes on gardening leave at the moment?

LeakyGee wrote: »
    Dan Healy. What a bull s*it artist

A prerequisite for any job in RTE one suspects.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Major U-Turn right there.

It's great to see that nepotism is alive and well in RTÉ, that they are being consistently lousy, that Dan doesn't like change and made no difference, and that we can all continue to enjoy a rubbish network.

Piss away the money, lads. Piss it away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Nail and coffin spring to mind... It's not attracting me to listen one bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭e.r

How did they get rid of Jim Jim and were lumbered with Colm Hayes

• Registered Users Posts: 7,406 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Proves once and for all that this Dan Healy guy is a total spoofer.

Listening to Will Leahy this evening and he sounds like a man working out his notice. Shame, as I think he's one of their better presenters.

e.r wrote: »
    How did they get rid of Jim Jim and were lumbered with Colm Hayes

Because Hayes and Gerry Ryan were buddies outside of RTE. Have been for years. I suspect they couldn't get rid of Gerry's pal when Gerry was all powerful in Montrose.

Now if only Dan Healy's next move could be Radio 1 and get rid of Joe Duffy and Tubs then I might have some respect for him…..

I was at the match on Sunday. I would estimate there were 40-60 RTE heads (Sales people mainly, but also presenters etc) around the place that I saw (I used to involved in media buying as a client in a former life so would recognize these people quitter easily). Good to see my licence fee is being put to good use…….:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Proves once and for all that this Dan Healy guy is a total spoofer.

Listening to Will Leahy this evening and he sounds like a man working out his notice. Shame, as I think he's one of their better presenters.

I got that feeling too about Will this eve. It's a huge shame

• Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

As brought up in another thread...Dan Healy also confirmed he definitely wasnt getting rid of Hector ...a few weeks later he did!

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/hector-is-not-getting-the-axe-says-2fm-boss-29757165.html

• Registered Users Posts: 71,618 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Where's Matthew Bannister when you need him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

In fairness Nicky was brilliant on the RTE's new show "The hit"..............

It kinda stinks doesn't it? The only measure I'm taking from it is that one of the latest requirements to have any chance of securing a radio slot on the nations white elephant is having a ridiculous amount of Twitter Followers and having no or little radio presenting experience. #reciepefordisaster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Who's the target audience for this show? Grown up Westlife fans? Surely he's going to alienate a huge portion of the potential audience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭fatalll

that rte circle is still intact so i see...#jobsfortheboys
    ridicolous...Where was the advertisment for this job?

I'm surprised the gig didn't go to a Noel Kelly recruit. Am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Because Hayes and Gerry Ryan were buddies outside of RTE. Have been for years. I suspect they couldn't get rid of Gerry's pal when Gerry was all powerful in Montrose.

How could Gerry influence this when after he passed away? Am I missing something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

It's still an improvement IMO

News just in -Lottie Ryan to replace Miriam O'Callaghan on Primetime.......:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

i was at the match on Sunday. I would estimate there were 40-60 RTE heads [...] around the place that I saw [...] Good to see my licence fee is being put to good use…….:rolleyes:

http://www.rte.ie/about/en/serving-our-audience/2012/0417/317444-rte-and-freedom-of-information/

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭thesaurus2

For a so-called talk show with music Colm Hayes showed very little interest in talking about anything his listeners wanted to talk about, and he certainly hadn't a clue about music. From the moment he got that slot the show was doomed, with his pompous upper middle class nonsense taking over. He has no empathy with the 'common man' and no interest in music, but give him an upper class twit to talk to and a new Coldplay single to play and he was away. His twitter post tonight just about sums him up. Good riddance to him I say. He was rubbish.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Watch this space. <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=#notleaving2fm&amp;src=hash&quot;&gt;#notleaving2fm&lt;/a&gt;.&#10;&lt;a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=#honest&amp;src=hash&quot;&gt;#honest&lt;/a&gt;.&#10;&lt;a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=#lovemyRTEparkingspace&amp;src=hash&quot;&gt;#lovemyRTEparkingspace&lt;/a&gt;.&#10;&lt;a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=#lovetheRTEcanteenespeciallyonfridays&amp;src=hash&quot;&gt;#lovetheRTEcanteenespeciallyonfridays&lt;/a&gt;!&lt;a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=#wheresPatKenny&amp;src=hash&quot;&gt;#wheresPatKenny&lt;/a&gt;??&lt;/p&gt;&mdash; colm hayes (@colmhayes2fm) <a href=" 4, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

@colmhayes2fm
    Watch this space. #notleaving2fm.
    #honest.
    #lovemyRTEparkingspace.
    #lovetheRTEcanteenespeciallyonfridays!#wheresPatKenny??

All in all though, Dan Healy is making a shambels of his new announcements. There seems to be no plan, just sticking announcements out there willy nilly. He should have waited and did a thorough relaunch in one - bang - Here's Nicky, Here's Brezzie, Here's Republic of Telly, Here's yer man from the Voice, here's some of my old pals from iRadio, here's Tubridy who we can't get rid of and there's one of your old favourites on a 6am or in the graveyard shift.

Instead, Hayes goes on "holidays" two weeks into the new year, Leahy a dead man walking for weeks, a job-bridger on breakfast, poor Larry left dangling, Dan Hegarty auditioning for a Phantom show, Hector obviously walking before he was fired.

What will become of Fanning and Larry? Aside from his stupid studio guests on a Saturday, Fanning is brilliant and should be cherished as such. Larry would be grand at at the weekend, but one thing I've noticed in recent weeks, when all the others have either fecked off on hols or sound like their working out their notice, Larry is still enthusiastic about his music, which is how it should be at 2fm. There's enough talking on the other stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Have to ask how Tubbs can fit into this line up - 'yuff' breakfast show, then Tubbs, then Nicky Byrne with a music ?? based show (then Larry?) - cannot see this working

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭dr Golden

Apparently Larry is going to weekends
    Infoanon wrote: »
    Have to ask how Tubbs can fit into this line up - 'yuff' breakfast show, then Tubbs, then Nicky Byrne with a music ?? based show (then Larry?) - cannot see this working

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭withless

He's under 40 so that's something. He will be 'great craic'.

Advertisement