Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2014

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Comordha

Could James Barry be the new Tipperary full-back? He handled the situation so much more carefully than Paudie when he went in. I think it is time to move on from Curran, he was found out a lot in recent years too. I think Corbett did enough to deserve a place but there are definitely places up for grabs in that forward line.

I thought Bergin freshened things up when he came in but not sure he should be started yet in big games, Offaly game could be a good one to sharpen him up more.

Also, would have preffered to see another sub brought on toward the end instead of John O'Brien, O'Meara or Forde etc. prob need the chances more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

O'Meara was injured.

When was Curran exposed?

I would like to see O'Mahony at center back, Padraic Maher playing sweeper, Curran at full back. Barry and Brendan on the wings - Barrett and Cahill in the corners.

I would put Noelie, Woodlock in midfield. Have Gar dropping back to help out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Laois v Tipperary, O'Moore Park, Portlaoise, 4.45pm

Tipperary v Offaly, O'Moore Park, Portlaoise, 7pm - Live on Sky Sports

http://www.gaa.ie/gaa-news-and-videos/daily-news/1/0707141427-upcoming-championship-fixture-details/

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mags85

O'Meara was injured.

When was Curran exposed?

I would like to see O'Mahony at center back, Padraic Maher playing sweeper, Curran at full back. Barry and Brendan on the wings - Barrett and Cahill in the corners.

I would put Noelie, Woodlock in midfield. Have Gar dropping back to help out.

One too many players there? (7 backs)

I agree though put Paudie in for Barry/COM?

O'Shea tends to play a sweeper system...so he does play seven backs at various stages

There were at times Lar and Seamie on their own inside and sometimes just Seamie in the full forward line - with noelie and Gar dropping deeper also

Lar dropped deep into midfield at various times in the first half also after he was moved into the center forward position

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mags85

I think I'd prefer McGrath/Ryan/Lar to drop back and play sweeper than Paudie. Though he does like his glory runs and I suppose if he was sweeper he could get away with them more.

I think he could do a good idea of sitting behind the center back and in front of the full back - wouldn't have to mark anyone - and he's strong enough to hold a strong runner who tries to break through - and you've said he can run out ball

GAA.ie HURLING TEAM OF THE WEEK
    1. Alan Nolan (Dublin)
    2. David McInerney (Clare)
    3. JJ Delaney (Kilkenny)
    4. Jackie Tyrrell (Kilkenny)
    5. Joey Holden (Kilkenny)
    6. Eoin Moore (Wexford)
    7. Andrew Shore (Wexford)
    8. Richie Hogan (Kilkenny)
    9. Noel McGrath (Tipperary)
    10. TJ Reid (Kilkenny)
    11. Joe Canning (Galway)
    12. Liam Óg McGovern (Wexford)
    13. John O’Dwyer (Tipperary)
    14. Séamus Callanan (Tipperary)
    15. Conor McGrath (Clare)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 MrMike

Delighted to see Seamie Call playing well! Huge talent and if he keeps his confidence up he could play a huge part in the rest of the championship. Hopefully Lar can kick on from those 2 good scores and get fit for the next game!

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

MrMike wrote: »
    Delighted to see Seamie Call playing well! Huge talent and if he keeps his confidence up he could play a huge part in the rest of the championship. Hopefully Lar can kick on from those 2 good scores and get fit for the next game!

the bravery for the first goal,the skill and trickery for the second and the workrate for the third if he could bring that to every game he would easily beat lars goal record,serious hurler when hes on song and one of the most naturally skilful hurlers ive ever seen but the inconsistency would drive ya mad but hes having his best year in years and looks a different hurler this year so hopfully this is the year he finally fufills his potential

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Moyorris

Two difficult matches coming up.Laois will be hard to beat in Portlaoise.Offaly will raise their game,and often play well there,being accustomed to matches in O'Moore Park.Remember Thurles Sarsfields against Kilcormac-Killoughey.

Moyorris wrote: »
    Two difficult matches coming up.Laois will be hard to beat in Portlaoise.Offaly will raise their game,and often play well there,being accustomed to matches in O'Moore Park.Remember Thurles Sarsfields against Kilcormac-Killoughey.

Club level is a fairly level playing field as you have non intercounty players involved so there is really little relevance to the intercounty game.

Offaly were absolute dirt against Kilkenny and Antrim really should have put them out of their misery. If we manage to fúck this up well then we dont deserve to go on in the championship to be honest. It's one thing losing to Limerick who were unlucky yet again not to be promoted but losing to Offaly would be a new low.

The football i agree with you but i'm glad the lads got a really tough test. That way we will get a true measurement of just where Tipperary football is at

I would have loved if the footballers got Laois at home in Thurles....Laois in Portlaois might just be a bit too soon for these guys - if they pull it off then they really are going to go places over the next five years - Love to see it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Tickets now on sale for the game in Portaoise on the web. General Admission €20.

Go to https://www.tickets.ie/events.aspx/artist/gaa/111091

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,077 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Donal Og Cusack - "Tipp take a long time to get over both the bad days and the good days..."

I thing Donal Og is spot on. Listening to some supporters its just a matter of turning up in Portlaoise next Saturday. Anyone from Offaly who was watching tipp for the first 3/4 of last Saturdays game wouldn't exactly be quaking in his boots. We need to get back to reality, we were let off the hook on Saturday by a Galway team who ran out of steam.

I don't know if its as simple as that but it definitely played a part

I thing Donal Og is spot on. Listening to some supporters its just a matter of turning up in Portlaoise next Saturday. Anyone from Offaly who was watching tipp for the first 3/4 of last Saturdays game wouldn't exactly be quaking in his boots. We need to get back to reality, we were let off the hook on Saturday by a Galway team who ran out of steam.

Fair point and id hope the players will go about the job professionally. But in all honesty, Offaly are terrible. Yes they have good hurlers, but they dont look in any way fit or prepared for the demands of the modern game. They couldnt keep it pucked out to Kilkenny and while yes we arent exactly blazing a trail, we should more than have enough you'd imagine.

Not because we're any way out of this world but because Offaly have been dreadful this year. Arguably lucky to be at this point as by right Antrim should have knocked them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,077 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Fair point and id hope the players will go about the job professionally. But in all honesty, Offaly are terrible. Yes they have good hurlers, but they dont look in any way fit or prepared for the demands of the modern game. They couldnt keep it pucked out to Kilkenny and while yes we arent exactly blazing a trail, we should more than have enough you'd imagine.

Not because we're any way out of this world but because Offaly have been dreadful this year. Arguably lucky to be at this point.

Maybe so but with 18 minutes to go last Sat we were in trouble all over the place. THere were 3 or 4 players who were deserving to be substituted at that time and I can think of 3 or 4 teams who would have kicked on and beat us out the gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭robbiezero

buggy beag wrote: »
    Do You think lar should start next day?offered nothing really bar the two points an one or two lay offs wouldn't even known he was playing in the first half

Got two points and probably assists for 2/3 more. Thats good enough for me especially from a player who given he has only recently returned from injury should still have a bit more form and sharpness to find.

Maybe so but with 18 minutes to go last Sat we were in trouble all over the place. THere were 3 or 4 players who were deserving to be substituted at that time and I can think of 3 or 4 teams who would have kicked on and beat us out the gate.

I don't think we were ever in trouble all over the place. We needed to get tight on Joe Canning and stop Johnny Glynn running amok. Other than that Galway had little enough.

• Advertisement

Kilkenny for sure would have kicked on. They up the ante whereas others relax a bit too much.

Will be amazed if the game isn't more or less over by half-time. Offaly are stink. One of the worst hurling performances I have seen in a long time v Kilkenny, almost, but not quite bettered by their truly awful u21's v Wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Moyorris

Offaly will definitely give a much improved performance,but we should be able to win.It will be interesting to see how the supporters of Laois and Offaly react to each others involvement,as the rivalry is fairly strong between them.Maybe we might have unexpected support.

They've been getting serious abuse in their own county, similar to tipp post-limerick. There'll will be a backlash and a performance but I'd expect Tipp to win. Looks like Brian Welehan has asked Hanamy to spark them into life with a few cruel comments:

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/hanamy-losing-by-less-than-10-points-will-be-a-great-bonus-274703.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Paddico

Has the football team been announced yet?
    Any news on how bad Micheal Quinlavin's injury is?

I would have loved if the footballers got Laois at home in Thurles....Laois in Portlaois might just be a bit too soon for these guys - if they pull it off then they really are going to go places over the next five years - Love to see it

I'm not sure how good Laois really are. Only a point between themselves and Wexford. I think they are very beatable

I think they are decent and capable outfit - particularly at home - it must count for something - it's tough. If Tipp play like they did the last day - they have every chance like you've said

From the Star
    "Manager Peter Creedon also revealed that full-forward Michael Quinlivan suffered a back injury during the opening minutes of the game. The fitness of the star forward will be assessed during the week."

Still no news of his availability though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Tipp Team v Offaly:Gleeson Stapleton P Maher Cahill Barrett Barry B Maher Bergin Woodlock Ryan P Maher ODwyer N McGrath Callanan Corbett

Paudie as full back again. Is it not a chance to give another guy a chance there?

Stapleton takes over from Barrett who moves into the half back into Barry's spot who moves to CB. Bergin replaces Ronan Maher in midfield too. No room for O'Mahony either

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Also strong rumour that Barry will play as FB. Barry is a good player but probably lacks the strength and height to be a full back.

Offaly might not be great but they will provide a decent goal threat so it'll be one way to check out this FB line. Mikey Cahill should be given a run at FB with Barrett and Paddy Stapleton. I'd put Paudie at wing back with Barry and Brendan at CB.

Advertisement