Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Written a book-now what

• 10-08-2013 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭

In simple terms can anyone help me.

I have written a book, what next?

Do I need to find an agent or do I can I send it direct to publishers.

Will I edit it completely myself or do the publishers edit it (assuming , a big assumption someone is interested).

Self publishing is not an area I am interested in.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

Put it in a folder and don't look at it again for a month or two. Then come back to it and edit until its as perfect as you can make it. Once you're 100% happy with it, give copies your most critical friends and family and ask them to tear it to shreds (metaphorically) and give you feedback. If negative trends appear in your feedback, edit the work again to resolve the issues. Polish the thing again to within an inch of its life.

Then think about getting an agent, and an editor. The editor will point out everything that's still wrong with your work. The editor is right about everything. Fix whatever they say is wrong until they are happy with it. Then it's ready to be sent out to publishers and if you're really lucky they'll pick it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

It really is a longer process than I thought. But as they say one has to persevere.

Would you recommend any good editors someone told me the publisher will do that. The list I have of editors is on self publishing sites but I have been warned not to go that route.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

femur61 wrote: »
    Would you recommend any good editors someone told me the publisher will do that. The list I have of editors is on self publishing sites but I have been warned not to go that route.

Why on earth would a publisher edit a book for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

Make sure you copyright it first though - it used to be that you could send it to yourself by registered post and not open it? Not sure if it's still the same though! Best of luck though and think of all the places that it will go :)

Antilles wrote: »
    Why on earth would a publisher edit a book for you?

Thats what I thought it was a writer who said that to me:confused:

Sorry to be a pain is the order proofreader, editor agent then publisher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

d1234 wrote: »
    Make sure you copyright it first though - it used to be that you could send it to yourself by registered post and not open it? Not sure if it's still the same though! Best of luck though and think of all the places that it will go :)

That's a myth. There is nothing to stop you sending an empty envelope to yourself, then stuffing the MS of Harry Potter into it on the morning of the court case.

It's copyright as soon as you write it, but keep your early drafts as proof of how you developed the story.

To be honest, it's incredibly unlikely that anyone will steal it. If they think it's good, why not pay you for it, instead of paying someone else to steal the idea and write it for them?

I do know an editor who is not too expensive, but she's picky about who she takes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

femur61 wrote: »
    Thats what I thought it was a writer who said that to me:confused:

Sorry to be a pain is the order proofreader, editor agent then publisher.

Send me the synopsis and I'll rip it apart for you.

The order is write the synopsis. Write the book. Edit the book. Send to beta readers. Fix every damn thing they mention. Edit again. Get a proper editor to edit it. Look for agent/publisher.

EileenG wrote: »
    That's a myth. There is nothing to stop you sending an empty envelope to yourself, then stuffing the MS of Harry Potter into it on the morning of the court case.

I do know an editor who is not too expensive, but she's picky about who she takes on.

Would you mind PM me her name or email?

Advertisement