Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

People of Distinction who were either born in or lived part of their life in Clonmel.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

pahy wrote: »
    I don't get it, I thought this thread was about people who were either born in or lived in Clonmel?
    so far we Newcastle ,Clogheen and Fethard mentioned twice surely we don't have to poach from our neighbours!! I'm surprised llyod Webber (Fethard) didn't get a mention!
    Wait till we get to Lorrha :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Vizzy

feargale wrote: »
    Wait till we get to Lorrha :)

Who's frpm Lorrha ??

• Registered Users Posts: 6 pahy

Cilla Black?

Vizzy wrote: »
    Who's frpm Lorrha ??
    Ken Hogan

Ken Hogan

I thought that you were going to say Tony Reddin

• Advertisement

I thought that you were going to say Tony Reddin

Born in Galway, lived in Lorrha, now lives in Banagher, hale and hearty at 90 plus. Anyway, maybe OP should lay down geographical rules here.

Born in Galway, lived in Lorrha, now lives in Bangher, hale and hearty at 90 plus. Anyway, maybe OP should lay down geographical rules here.

Good man.Bang on with the history.
    I was only talking to him last week.
    (He's my wifes uncle.)

Good man.Bang on with the history.
    I was only talking to him last week.
    (He's my wifes uncle.)

I met him not so many years ago. Nice man. Did he ever tell you about how he promised Jack Lynch a bye-election?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Christy Moore lived in Clonmel as he worked as worked as a bank official in the town before he launched his singing career.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

I remember reading notorious serial killers Shaw and Evans stayed in Clonmel for a while.
    Cant find any reference to it online though.

• Advertisement

Born in Clonmel, Co. Tipperary, Dónal de Buitléir was educated at CBS High School. From there he went to University College Dublin where he studied Economics, Politics and Statistics. Graduating with first class honours he joined the Revenue Commissioners where he spent seven years, progressing quickly through its ranks. During that time he returned to study at UCD, earning a Masters degree in Economic Science, again with first class honours, followed in 1980 by a PhD for which his doctoral thesis was entitled “The Equity of Irish personal Income Taxation”.

Throughout the 1980s Donal served in a range of influential positions in the area of taxation policy and economic planning. From the Revenue Commissioners he joined the Department of Economic Planning and Development and then the Department of Finance. When the ground-breaking Commission on Taxation was established in 1980, his expertise in the area was identified and he was seconded to serve as Secretary. The Commission worked for five years, developing what was widely acclaimed as a blueprint for a more equitable tax system in Ireland. When its work was completed in 1985, he returned to the Revenue Commissioners as Superintending Inspector of Taxes for four years. During this time he published a number of highly influential papers and reports on issues relating to taxation policy and reform of the tax code in Ireland, as well as on other topics in the area of public administration.

In 1989 Donal was head-hunted to join AIB as the Bank’s Head of Group Taxation and later General Manager of the Office of AIB’s Group Chief Executive. Since leaving the Civil Service to join the private sector, he has never ceased to be active in ‘public service’. He has been appointed as Chairman and as a Member of a number of review bodies established to advise government on matters of public policy - from local government reform; to development of enterprise strategy; to the integration of tax and social welfare system; and - of critical importance to higher education – a strategic review of post-secondary education and training. This latter report bluntly highlighted issues of non-completion rates at third level, under-representation of disadvantaged groups, and the strategic economic need for higher numbers at postgraduate level.

He has tested himself in many ways throughout the many phases of his career, but there is one test he has faced every year since 1979. That personal challenge has been the Dublin City Marathon – or rather, every single Dublin City Marathon since the event started! It is a record that stands as testament to his commitment and determination, and one of which he can be extremely proud.

Donal de Buitleir’s has accepted many challenges throughout his career and has merited many accolades. Today we honour him for his outstanding contribution, and we acknowledge him as a standard bearer for graduates here starting out on their own careers. Dublin Institute of Technology is privileged to award him this Doctorate of Philosophy, honoris causa
    President.

Donal de Buitléir is a former President of the Statistical and Social Inquiry Society of Ireland and a former Chair of the Foundation for Fiscal Studies. He is an Eisenhower Fellow.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Xenophile wrote: »
    Born in Clonmel, Co. Tipperary, Dónal de Buitléir was educated at CBS High School. From there he went to University College Dublin where he studied Economics, Politics and Statistics. Graduating with first class honours he joined the Revenue Commissioners where he spent seven years, progressing quickly through its ranks. During that time he returned to study at UCD, earning a Masters degree in Economic Science, again with first class honours, followed in 1980 by a PhD for which his doctoral thesis was entitled “The Equity of Irish personal Income Taxation”.

Throughout the 1980s Donal served in a range of influential positions in the area of taxation policy and economic planning. From the Revenue Commissioners he joined the Department of Economic Planning and Development and then the Department of Finance. When the ground-breaking Commission on Taxation was established in 1980, his expertise in the area was identified and he was seconded to serve as Secretary. The Commission worked for five years, developing what was widely acclaimed as a blueprint for a more equitable tax system in Ireland. When its work was completed in 1985, he returned to the Revenue Commissioners as Superintending Inspector of Taxes for four years. During this time he published a number of highly influential papers and reports on issues relating to taxation policy and reform of the tax code in Ireland, as well as on other topics in the area of public administration.

In 1989 Donal was head-hunted to join AIB as the Bank’s Head of Group Taxation and later General Manager of the Office of AIB’s Group Chief Executive. Since leaving the Civil Service to join the private sector, he has never ceased to be active in ‘public service’. He has been appointed as Chairman and as a Member of a number of review bodies established to advise government on matters of public policy - from local government reform; to development of enterprise strategy; to the integration of tax and social welfare system; and - of critical importance to higher education – a strategic review of post-secondary education and training. This latter report bluntly highlighted issues of non-completion rates at third level, under-representation of disadvantaged groups, and the strategic economic need for higher numbers at postgraduate level.

He has tested himself in many ways throughout the many phases of his career, but there is one test he has faced every year since 1979. That personal challenge has been the Dublin City Marathon – or rather, every single Dublin City Marathon since the event started! It is a record that stands as testament to his commitment and determination, and one of which he can be extremely proud.

Donal de Buitleir’s has accepted many challenges throughout his career and has merited many accolades. Today we honour him for his outstanding contribution, and we acknowledge him as a standard bearer for graduates here starting out on their own careers. Dublin Institute of Technology is privileged to award him this Doctorate of Philosophy, honoris causa
    President.

Donal de Buitléir is a former President of the Statistical and Social Inquiry Society of Ireland and a former Chair of the Foundation for Fiscal Studies. He is an Eisenhower Fellow.

Nice "cut & paste"!!

Google is great eh ?

Dr. Maria Eithne McNamara.

Young Clonmel lady who is currently a professor in Geology in University College, Cork. Heard her being interviewed last night on BBC World Service

http://research.ucc.ie/profiles/D026/mariamcnamara

Dr. John Rossiter from Clonmel received a prestigious award from PAIRO (Professional Association of Internes and Residents of Ontario) for the excellence of his contribution to post graduate education on medicine, at a recent reception in Ontario, Canada.

He is a Consultant Neuropathologist and Director of Autopsy Services in the Department of Molecular Medicine at Kingston General Hospital. Dr. Rossiter is also an Associate Professor in the School of Medicine, Queen’s University. His academic interests include developmental neuropathology and traumatic brain injury. The award was accompanied by a generous donation to Dr. Rossiter’s charity of choice.

He is son of John and Margaret Rossiter of Powerstown Road, Clonmel and received his early education in SS Peter and Paul’s CBS and the High School, Clonmel.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭hblock21

Thomas Dunne born in Clonmel 1849. Sheriff of New York City. Died 1905.

Seemingly he was known in New York as Thomas J Dunn.

The link is to an article published at the time of his death, in the New York Times dated 13th. December 1905. It's an interesting article.

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=F5091EFA3F5912738DDDAA0994DA415B858CF1D3

Raymond Chandler's 1939 novel The Big Sleep, features Rusty Regan as a main character: "A big curly-headed Irishman from Clonmel, with sad eyes and a smile as wide as Wilshire Boulevard."[30]

Above info taken from Wikipedia.

Count Arthur John Moore (1849 – 5 January 1904) was a wealthy Irish Catholic and nationalist politician

Moore financed the building of Ferryhouse Industrial School for Catholic boys near Clonmel. In 1884 he handed it over to the charge of the Rosminian Order to be run by them.

Moore was elected at the 1874 general election as a Home Rule League MP for Clonmel, holding the seat in the Parliament of the United Kingdom until the constituency's abolition for the 1885 general election.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭touts

President.

A bloke who worked for Revenue and AIB.... Where's the Distinction?

I had a look on the Web where there are some scattered references to C J Boland, which mention that he was born in Clonmel, though no date or details, that his parents were Master and Matron (to give them their proper titles!) of the Clonmel Workhouse, that he himself made a career in the Civil Service and became Valuation Commissioner, if I remember it rightly, in Dublin. He died in 1918. There was an obituary to him in an Irish literary magazine of the time, with a copy still in the National Library but not accessible online. Another reference seemed to suggest that he was an ancestor of the modern poet, Eavan Boland & her father Frederick who was an Irish diplomat at the UN.

My thanks to laurencebryan for providing the above information on C J Boland.

C J Boland is best known for this poem. Some of his other work may be found in "My Clonmel Scrap Book" by James White.

THE TWO TRAVELLERS

All over the world, the traveller said,
    In my peregrination’s I’ve been;
    And there’s nothing remarkable, living or dead,
    But these eyes of mine have seen.

From the land of the ape and the marmoset,
    To the tents of the Fellaheen”
    Said the other, I’ll lay you an even bet
    You were never in Farranalleen.”

I’ve hunted in woods near Seringapatam,
    And sailed in the Polar Seas,
    I fished for a week in the Gulf of Siam
    And lunched on the Chersonese.

I’ve lived in the valleys of fair Cashmere,
    Under Himalay’s snowy ridge.”
    Then the other impatiently said ,”See here ,
    Were you ever at Laffan’s Bridge?

I’ve lived in the land where tobacco is grown,
    In the suburbs of Santiago;
    And I spent two years in Sierra Leone,
    And one in Del Fuego.

I walked across Panama all in a day,
    Ah me! But the road was rocky.
    The other replied , “Will you kindly say,
    Were you ever at Horse -and – Jockey?

I’ve borne my part in a savage fray,
    When I got this wound from a Lascar;
    We were bound just then from Mandalay
    For the Island of Madagascar,

Ah! The sun never tired of shining there,
    And the trees canaries sang in,
    What of that?” said the other, sure I’ve a pair,
    And there’s lots of them in Drangan.

And I’ve hunted the tigers in Turkestan,
    In Australia the kangaroos;
    And I lived six months as medicine man
    To a tribe of the Kathmandoos.

And I’ve stood on the scene of Olympic games,
    Where the Grecians showed their paces,
    The other replied, Now tell me, James,
    Were you ever at Fethard Races?

Don’t talk of your hunting in Yucatan,
    Or your fishing off St. Helena;
    I’d rather see young fellows hunting the ‘wren’
    In the hedges of Tobbernaheena.

No doubt the scenes of a Swiss Canton
    Have a passable sort of charm
    Give me a sunset on Slievenamon
    From the head at Hackett’s Farm.

And I’d rather be strolling along the quay,
    And watching the river flow,
    Than growing tea with the cute Chinee,
    Or mining in Mexico.

And I wouldn’t much care for Sierra Leone,
    If I hadn’t seen Killenaule,
    And the man that was never in Mullinahone
    Shouldn’t say he had travelled at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭carter10

I am inspired to open this thread after reading An Appreciation in today's Irish Times (27th.May) of a person I never heard of before now, maybe some members can give more detail.

Judge Andrew Phelan.
    Born: Clonmel........July 25th. 1923.
    Died in his home Chiswick, London.....March 3rd. 2013.
    Judge, Sailor and Author of "Ireland From The Sea"

Andrew Phelan is from Kilgainey about a mile from the Loretto Convent on the Coleville Road. The house he was born in stood derelict for many years and was eventually knocked around the mid to late 80s.

Another notable clonmel Journalist Laura Noonan, formerly of the Irish Independent now working for Reuters in London

• Registered Users Posts: 6 pahy

I remember reading notorious serial killers Shaw and Evans stayed in Clonmel for a while.

Try looking under Fethard, they stayed in Ballinard for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

Some light reading.

"Figures in a Clonmel landscape"

Author Michael Ahearn.

2006 by Ardo Books, Melview

Yes I suppose Michael Ahern (I think this is the correct spelling of his name)

I know Michael and I suppose he deserves to be listed as a Clonmel person of distinction..........he was a very well liked and respected English teacher in Clonmel Vocational school for many years, the book you mention is currently for sale on the Amazon site as it is in other bookshops in Clonmel.

Could you list his other publications?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

The dust jacket and intro to the book are sparse in details.

It was printed by "Kilkenny People Printing"and I suspect it falls under the "self published" category.

The ISBN is 0-9554477-0-4 and 978-0-9554477-0-9

John Keating Artist.

http://www.johnkeating-art.com/

Born in Clonmel, Tipperary in 1953. John Keating studied at the Crawford College of Art, Cork, Trinity College, Dublin, Loughborough University, Leicestershire and The Arts Student League of New York, which he attended on a scholarship. Keating has exhibited nationally and internationally including exhibitions in the U.S.A., Italy, Spain, Greece, Monaco and China. His work is included in private and public collections in Ireland, the U.S.A., Australia, Italy, Greece and England. Keating has guest lectured and tutored on the drawing studies course at the National Gallery of Ireland, National College of Art and Design, Dublin Institute of Technology and at the University of Pittsburgh, U.S.A..

An opera singer who sang at venues from Milan to New York.

Monica Cullen is another who could set hearts racing with her voice. A world-famous opera performer during the 1950s and '60s, she married an Italian businessman and became Monique Delpiaggo. Before that, however, there were many performances with the St Mary's Choral Society in Clonmel while she lived at No. 17 Albert Street Clonmel.

Ambassador Anne Anderson is currently the permanent representative of Ireland to the United Nations. Current ambassador to the U.S. Michael Collins will become Ambassador to Germany. David Donoghue becomes UN Ambassador.

Previously Anderson was Ireland’s ambassador to France. Anderson, a native of Clonmel, Co. Tipperary, joined the Irish Department of Foreign Affairs in 1972 and has held posts in various parts of the world, including Washington, D.C., Geneva and Brussels.

From 2001 to 2005, Anderson served as permanent representative to the European Union in Brussels, before which she was Ireland’s permanent representative to the United Nations in Geneva.

There her responsibilities also included chair of the United Nations Commission on Human Rights (1999-2000); vice president of the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD)(1997); and chair of the trade policy review body the World Trade Organization.

Anderson earned a bachelor’s degree from University College Dublin, and a diploma in legal studies at Kings Inns, Dublin.

“I feel a tremendous sense of privilege in representing Ireland abroad. At the UN, there is real respect for what we stand for,” Anderson says.

“Ireland is seen as a country that struggled, survived, prospered, and understands the imperative to give back. We are a strong and principled voice on all the big issues — development, disarmament, human rights. I am proud to sit behind the Irish nameplate.”

Irish Times Tues. October 21. 2014.

At today’s Cabinet meeting, ministers approved five appointment to the High Court including Mr Binchy a former president of the Law Society who practices in Clonmel, Co Tipperary. The Government announced the nominations this evening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Yorker

Shaw and Evans stole a fern coloured Cortina in Mitchelstown and a roof rack in Wexford. They painted the car black and went to Clonmel where applied for, and got, provisional driving licences in the assumed names Roy Hall and David Ball

Advertisement