Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Jim Bowen

Clonmel is bigger than Nenagh and Thurles combined. That I didn't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭touts

Jim Bowen wrote: »
    Clonmel is bigger than Nenagh and Thurles combined. That I didn't know.

You'd never think that the way the merger of North and South Tipp has been handled like a hostile takeover of the South by the North with services and offices asset stripped from the South and shipped north.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

Took eye off ball.
    North Tipp better plan.
    Hence result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 dazzler24

Same with the GAA. Anyone remember when all Tipp inter county football matches were played in the Western Road? Now they're all in Thurles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

They are all in thurles because its where the players and officials want them to be played there. Trying to make some connection between the merger and the GAA is extremely disingenuous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 dazzler24

They are all in thurles because its where the players and officials want them to be played there. Trying to make some connection between the merger and the GAA is extremely disingenuous.

I wasn't trying to make any connection between the two whatsoever. I now live in North Tipp and was merely asking if anyone remembered matches in Clonmel as I think it's a pity that we don't have any there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Xenophile

dazzler24 wrote: »
    Same with the GAA. Anyone remember when all Tipp inter county football matches were played in the Western Road? Now they're all in Thurles.

Thurles is the place to play these games it's about equi distance from both Ballyporeen and Borrisokane. Tipp dropped a point in the league to Waterford in Clonmel, this would not have happened in Thurles, make Thurles our home venue for all inter county games. God knows Thurles could do with a bit of a lift!

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,341 ✭✭✭cml387

The problem with Clonmel as county town for the whole of Tipp is obvious. Imagine having to travel from Roscrea to do your business?

The British divided Tipperary for a good reason, and I don't see the point of uniting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭questionmark?

cml387 wrote: »
    The problem with Clonmel as county town for the whole of Tipp is obvious. Imagine having to travel from Roscrea to do your business?

The British divided Tipperary for a good reason, and I don't see the point of uniting it.

Thats very true. Reality is Thurles should have been devolped as a county town over the past few decades if Tipperary was to be one county, central position, close to cork/dublin motorway and a busy main line train station. But hey thats their problem Clonmel is much better :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

Thats very true. Reality is Thurles should have been devolped as a county town over the past few decades if Tipperary was to be one county, central position, close to cork/dublin motorway and a busy main line train station. But hey thats their problem Clonmel is much better :p

Aah, divide and conquer, it's a proven tactic that's still working well.

• Advertisement

Clonmel has a spirit of enterprise, much of which can be traced back to the input of The Society of Friends otherwise known as Quakers, they had many mills on the fast flowing River Suir,in fact barges came all the way up the river to Clonmel from Waterford.........it is particularly fast flowing in the Clonmel area, after passing under the Galtees, Knockmealdowns, (near Newcastle) where the tributary River Tar joins The Suir as it passes Clonmel it is under the foothills of The Comeraghs.

Quakers were very efficient farmers and very honest in their business dealings. The architecture of the Quakers can be seen in the buildings of Hotel Minella and Melview Nursing Home. The Quaker graveyard is in O'Neill Street just three minutes walk from the West Gate.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

I note in today's paper that Clonmel is one of a number of towns to get allocated money for more off-road cycle paths.
    Does anyone know of more paths being planned?

edit:
    Actually it's not in that link but Clonmel was mentioned in another paper.

I note in today's paper that Clonmel is one of a number of towns to get allocated money for more off-road cycle paths.
    Does anyone know of more paths being planned?

edit:
    Actually it's not in that link but Clonmel was mentioned in another paper.

As far as I know there is a plan to link some additional housing estates etc to the current cycle path around the bypass. It is nothing major. Most of the money being allocated is going to new "greenways" like the one from Dungarvan to Waterford.

touts wrote: »
    As far as I know there is a plan to link some additional housing estates etc to the current cycle path around the bypass. It is nothing major. Most of the money being allocated is going to new "greenways" like the one from Dungarvan to Waterford.

Actually I'm really looking forward to that greenway on the old railway line.
    Imagine cycling over the viaduct at Kilmacthomas?

Actually I'm really looking forward to that greenway on the old railway line.
    Imagine cycling over the viaduct at Kilmacthomas?

Definately. But it's a battle for money. Anyone who wants this should visit their Facebook page and support them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭AK333

Just participated in a Pilgrim Path walk which are happening all over Ireland today. Knockmealdown Active group arranged a 17k walk between Goatenbridge and Mt Melleray, over the Knockmealdown mountains. Absolutely fabulous day - great crowd, well stewarded and thank you to the Steward who gave a very informative talk at the Liam Lynch tower, great scenery, terrific weather. I'm a novice at hill walking and really enjoyed it. Just goes to show we have some wonderful things to see and do on our doorstep - get out there folks and enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Deminiman

Does anybody know why the man selling the fish from the van down the quay stopped coming to town? Somebody mentioned council rates were too high but probably guessing. Its a pity though because he had a great selection of fish and it was fresh, and well priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Deminiman wrote: »
    Does anybody know why the man selling the fish from the van down the quay stopped coming to town? Somebody mentioned council rates were too high but probably guessing. Its a pity though because he had a great selection of fish and it was fresh, and well priced.

Would he have been ratable if he wasnt a permanent shop??

BTW havent seen him there in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

Don't think you pay rates as a general trader on the street. You probably need some sort of licence all right but no rates. Hence it's easier for them to have cheaper prices, no overheads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

There is a few parking spaces there that were allocated to small traders there. Im not sure if they're still there but I do remember seeing them a while back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

Deminiman wrote: »

I heard the lady who took over John Walls old fish shop applied to the corporation for the street trading license and got it.

Also she only has to put out a stand every 1 week in 6 to keep it so don't expect to see much activity every Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Royco

I see abrakebabra is been taken over, heard a rumour its Peter from Emerald gardens for a Chinese take away, don't know how true this is,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

I'd say your on the money there!

I was passing by last week and there were contractor guys inside with clipboards, etc with an oriental man looking around.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,239 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Royco wrote: »
    I see abrakebabra is been taken over, heard a rumour its Peter from Emerald gardens for a Chinese take away, don't know how true this is,

The rumour I heard is that Abra was closed down by the health inspector. Poor enough source mind you but believable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭questionmark?

callaway92 wrote: »
    The rumour I heard is that Abra was closed down by the health inspector. Poor enough source mind you but believable.

Went belly up as far as I'm aware. Guy that had it had another outlet in Dungarven I believe and that went as well.

callaway92 wrote: »

Yes I would believe it, many years ago a lady came from cleaning the toilets without wearing any gloves and proceeded to serve food, I was not in there since. Just sorry I did not report the incident to Health and Safety myself. Just one tip if you ever need to contact health and safety do it through email or fax so that you have it on record.

• I was driving towards M&S last week,and just before the roundabout I saw a poster for Phil Prendergast up on a pole.I passed today,it was still attached to the pole,but had slipped to footpath level.Is this an indication that Phil is slipping in the polls?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

I was driving home yesterday and nearly got hit by Mattie McGrath's van. The driver (not MM) was on his phone, his front indicator and two back brake lights weren't working... Obviously too busy like the rest of us mortals to check his lights and GET OFF THE ****ING PHONE while driving! Boils my blood!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Folks, a friend. Is moving to town and asked what Hughes mill is like to live in? Any opinions ? I haven't lived in the town for quite some time so would value your views.
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

RobAMerc wrote: »
    Folks, a friend. Is moving to town and asked what Hughes mill is like to live in? Any opinions ? I haven't lived in the town for quite some time so would value your views.
    Thanks

Moved to Clonmel last year and we viewed an apartment in Hughes mill. We thought it felt quite cold and that it would be hard to heat. I think the BER of the apartment we looked in was actually an F. So we raised our budget slightly and looked elsewhere.

Also just thinking would it be in danger of getting flooded or stuck in if it flooded? I'm only a 'blow-in' so don't be giving out to me if I'm wrong!

Advertisement