Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Local and European Elections in Tipperary.

• 28-02-2014 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Local and European Electins in Tipperary.

The date for both of the above elections is May 23rd.

Anyone prepared to make predictions!

Will Phil Prendergast (Lab} get a nomination for Europe or would she better to be a candidate in the locals and say this from the outset?

Will Denis Landy (Lab) opt to hold on to his Senate seat in the hope that he will retain it after the next General Election or will he decide to revert to putting his hat into the ring at the local elections where we he would be a shoe in for as long as he would it.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

Xenophile wrote: »

Will Phil Prendergast (Lab} get a nomination for Europe or would she better to be a candidate in the locals and say this from the outset?

Will Denis Landy (Lab) opt to hold on to his Senate seat in the hope that he will retain it after the next General Election or will he decide to revert to putting his hat into the ring at the local elections where we he would be a shoe in for as long as he would it.

They will all hop into any seat they are lucky enough to get,and afterwards say it was what they wanted...Like the animals in hibernation,they are all to be seen again on the doorsteps.I sent a few on their way during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Will Phil Prendergast (Lab} get a nomination for Europe or would she better to be a candidate in the locals and say this from the outset

I posted this last February, Phil Prendergast has no political acumen, she should be grateful that Eamonn Gilmore arranged that she got a Senate seat. She then got lucky when Alan Kelly ex MEP was elected to the Dail and his substitute namely Arthur Spring was also elected to the Dail and she inherited a European Seat.

This is the end of Phil Prendergast's political career and in three weeks time her name will have passed on to the history books. I doubt even if she stood for the local elections she would have won a seat..

As a former midwife in South Tipperary General Hospital she will have a fine pension, I have no idea what her Senate or MEP's pension will be.

Anyway this is the obituary to her political career, my estimation she will get 2% of the vote, but if FG vote strategically she will get more and thus enhancing the prospects of the FG candidates.

She never had a political cell in her brain Seamus Healy T.D. chose her to run for his party when they both worked together in South Tipperary General Hospital. As a Labour TD from up the country once confided in me "delivering votes is a completely different thing to delivering babies.

I now wish her every good wish in her life which in my opinion will have nothing whatsoever got to do with politics.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 John McClane

I haven't seen the full list of candidates for the local elections anywhere, have they been confirmed yet?
    in Fethard/Carrick area
    is Landy going to run?
    O'Brien who topped the poll in 2009 with almost 2 quotas i believe is not going for re-election

I haven't seen the full list of candidates for the local elections anywhere, have they been confirmed yet?
    in Fethard/Carrick area
    is Landy going to run?
    O'Brien who topped the poll in 2009 with almost 2 quotas i believe is not going for re-election

This website looks quite good for the info you are looking for, I believe it will be updated as new candidates appear.

http://adriankavanaghelections.org/category/candidates-local-elections-2014/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

is anyone else struggling to find a decent candidate to give their second preference to, theres no variety just FF,FG,LAB and independents who say nothing of substance

• Advertisement

is anyone else struggling to find a decent candidate to give their second preference to, theres no variety just FF,FG,LAB and independents who say nothing of substance

Simon Harris T.D. a young intelligent man who comes across as a man of honesty and integrity has the best future political prospects of any of the the candidates in our constituency of Ireland South.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

If I was in her area I would give Nessa Childers my No 1, who stuck to her principles when Labour abandoned them and stood up to the labour bullies when they tried to rail road her in to backing someone who misplaced 3 and half billion for one of the top financial jobs in Europe just because they wanted to move him on from his post.

Simon Harris T.D. a young intelligent man who comes across as a man of honesty and integrity has the best future political prospects of any of the the candidates in our constituency of Ireland South.

I have two for Europe, I wouldn't give FG a vote if they were the only option.

My main proplem is finding anyone decent to vote for in the locals its nearly all FF and FG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Won't be voting for any of them. Haven't bothered to read any of their junk mail or followed the campaign. Does it really matter to us which of them gets elected I mean seriously like.....

Won't be voting for any of them. Haven't bothered to read any of their junk mail or followed the campaign. Does it really matter to us which of them gets elected I mean seriously like.....

the council does have limited powers but if you are unhappy then vote for people who have not been in power and are saying something different. Bad politicians are elected by good people who don't vote

• Advertisement

the council does have limited powers but if you are unhappy then vote for people who have not been in power and are saying something different. Bad politicians are elected by good people who don't vote

Sinn Fein are singing the same old negative song that WUAG in Clonmel have been singing or more correctly "whining" for many years now and has got the town nowhere. Many people in Clonmel are very happy to see Clonmel Borough Council abolished, it just has been an expense to the taxpayer.

Sinn Fein are singing the same old negative song that WUAG in Clonmel have been singing or more correctly "whining" for many years now and has got the town nowhere. Many people in Clonmel are very happy to see Clonmel Borough Council abolished, it just has been an expense to the taxpayer.

FG and lab haven't done anything to help people we need people who stand up I'm just disappointed that theres only a SF candidate in my area and no other lefties

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭GoodLord

no it doesn't

very limited

will its replacement not also be an expense?

GoodLord wrote: »
    will its replacement not also be an expense?

We can only hope that it will be more efficient, it is up to us, as an electorate to hold them to account.

We can only hope that it will be more efficient, it is up to us, as an electorate to hold them to account.
    then why did you not hold the borough council to account.? it does not make sense to say people are glad to be rid of borough council as it was an expense while its replacement is an expense you "can only hope that it will be more efficient"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Never heard much talk from people in Clonmel regarding the waste of money in having the Corporation and then Borough Council. In fact most people I have heard say anything about it (and they were few enough) lament the loss of the Council along with the loss of Kickham Barracks and St. Micheals Unit.

Never heard much talk from people in Clonmel regarding the waste of money in having the Corporation and then Borough Council. In fact most people I have heard say anything about it (and they were few enough) lament the loss of the Council along with the loss of Kickham Barracks and St. Micheals Unit.
    From knowing people there i agree. Saying people wanted it abolished because it was an expense is nonsense as new one will be expense too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Any one got any tallies or first counts from Clonmel local elections?

• Advertisement

• Twitter is great for results,and Tipp FM,have a twitter feed,and Tipperary news.Tipp FM are also live there.You can get updates on Facebook as well..meself and mrs looby have them all on today.....sure tis only a day for the fire..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Tipperary Times on line blog has given great tallies all day to compared to The Nationalist and Tipperary Star twitter feed.

Martin Lonergan.................
    Non Party..1678

Michael Murphy..................
    FG..1477

Pat English................
    WUAG..1469

Siobhan Ambrose.................
    FF..1402

Andy Maloney.................
    Non Party..1397

Maria Murphy...........
    FG..1025

Michael Anglim................
    FF..1023

Liam Ahearn..............
    FG..872

Catherine Carey..............
    SF..864

Joe Leahy...............
    FG..677

Richie Molloy..............
    Non Party..674

Gabrielle Egan...............
    Non Party..455

PJ English..............
    FF..445

Darren Ryan...............
    Non Party..436

Seanie Lonergan................
    LAB..370

Pearl Sheehan...............
    WUAG..296

Kevin Brunnick...............
    SF..291

Ann Condon.............
    PBP..164

Martina Maher...........
    WUAG..147

Eoin O Flaherty.............
    Non Party..94

Spoilt Votes................85

Thanks to Pakie for the figures, I hope I have reproduced them accurately. Looks to me that the top nine will take the seats.

These are Tallies

9 Seats in this constituency

then why did you not hold the borough council to account.? it does not make sense to say people are glad to be rid of borough council as it was an expense while its replacement is an expense you "can only hope that it will be more efficient"

I am sure you mean we.
    then why did WE not hold the borough council to account.? it does not make sense to say people are glad to be rid of borough council as it was an expense while its replacement is an expense you "can only hope that it will be more efficient"

Was 12 seats on Clonmel Borough Council.+ County Councilors..+ Mayor etc.....now gone. Now 9 seats in Clonmel/Cahir area for Tipperary County Council, this represents a huge saving. If Clonmel Borough Council was more effective that would have been a different matter. The best of the Councillors will be elected to the New Council.

For Anyone Interested in the locations of the European Count Centres, here are they are!

Dublin
    Mr. James Barry
    RDS,
    Simmonscourt Halls 8A & 8B,
    Simmonscourt Road,
    Ballsbridge,
    Dublin 4.

Midlands-North-West
    Mr. Fintan J. Murphy
    Royal Theatre,
    Old Westport Road,
    Castlebar,
    Co. Mayo.

South
    Mr. Martin A. Harvey
    Nemo Rangers Hurling & Football Club,
    Trabeg Sports Centre,
    South Douglas Road,
    Cork.

So what happens to all the old town and county halls now that they will be out of commission due to the abolition of town and county councils?

Surely there will still be maintenance costs involved? The current government cost cutting is all well and good but it would seem that some muscle is being shed with excess fat.

I am sure you mean we.
    i don't i am not in clonmel

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

So what happens to all the old town and county halls now that they will be out of commission due to the abolition of town and county councils?

Surely there will still be maintenance costs involved? The current government cost cutting is all well and good but it would seem that some muscle is being shed with excess fat.

If they are not required by the council they will be leased privately most likely. Some of those buildings have had big money invested in them and it'd be criminal to leave them idle.

Well done to the tally people, you got your counts right and the nine Candidates who had the most 1st. preferences are elected.

Martin Lonergan...........(Mattie McGrath's man)
    Non Party..1678

Michael Murphy..................
    FG..1477

Pat English................
    WUAG..1469

Siobhan Ambrose.................
    FF..1402

Andy Maloney.................
    Non Party..1397

Maria Murphy...........
    FG..1025

Michael Anglim................
    FF..1023

Liam Ahearn..............
    FG..872

Catherine Carey..............SF..864

Correction

Liam Ahearn didn't get in in the end. Richie Molloy got in. Molloy got a big bump from transfers of Darren Ryan and Gabrielle Egan's votes.

See post # 31 on this thread by callaway92

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

^ ^

That's incorrect for final seats.

Liam Ahearn didn't get in in the end. Richie Molloy got in. Molloy got a big bump from transfers of Darren Ryan and Gabrielle Egan's votes.

Votes and distributions

Advertisement