Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Classic Hits (Niall Boylan??)

Options
  • 17-12-2013 1:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭

Having never ever heard an ego as inflated or opinions as Mr. Boylan, I am just curious to hear if anybody finds his show interesting/entertaining or is there something I'm missing?
    I have been caring for a newborn (no sleep!), so am awake late. But as incoherent as I sound (due to lack of sleep), nothing comes close to the people who call this show.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

i like the show sometimes, some of the callers are good at times also, i do love when niall shuts down some of the idiots that come on who can't formulate an opinion or who come out with actual nonsense though, i suppose some will like it while a lot won't

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,352 ✭✭✭ofcork

Bit of overkill being on twice a day,repeating topics a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

Once a day ear bleeding is enough for any man!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Radio is for life

Having never ever heard an ego as inflated or opinions as Mr. Boylan, I am just curious to hear if anybody finds his show interesting/entertaining or is there something I'm missing?
    I have been caring for a newborn (no sleep!), so am awake late. But as incoherent as I sound (due to lack of sleep), nothing comes close to the people who call this show.

Maybe you are missing something Missy. I do believe there is a market for the Boylans, Kennedys and other late night talk show hosts of the world. Yes I believe they all can sound a bit Jeramy Kyleesk by times but that's the nature of night time radio. Having only heard the show at night on a couple of occasions I think verbally he handles himself very well compared to some of the presenters on the air who seem to emm and ahh there way through ad-lib like they are running out of things to say whilst waiting for the next outburst from some random caller. As a previous post mentioned I do think he is opiomated and that's not everybody's cup of tea but handling late night radio is no easy task I imagine for three or four hours, particularly when you depend on callers to drive the show.
    On the the flip side I heard the day time show one day and it was more balanced and less opinionated and on the day I heard it, some poor old dear was crying and I couldn't fault the empathy he showed throughout the call.
    To summarise, I think it's easy to throw stones at a presenter based on callers intelligence and the presentation style but caller driven radio is possibly one of the toughest jobs in the business and only a select few have pulled it off well and successfully. There is a skill to stirring the pot to encourage the callers to react and that's where opinion is important in most cases. If there is no calls there is no show.
    On a side note has anybody called a show at night because I was wondering to they call you back or put them straight on the air. The reason I ask is I heard a guy a while ago on another show threatening another caller in a serious manner and wondered legally they stood if the Gardai were to get involved. Would they always have a number for the callers.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭TheLonelyOne

Screams of poverty having him on twice a day and with the station apparently being in 11M of debt, I really doubt he is getting much more financially for both shows.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

He's a sh1t merchant, but a passable one.

Mildly entertaining but I couldn't listen to more than five minutes of it at a time.

It's just rotten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

I listen the odd time . I think its funny more than anything , the opinions some people have are unreal .
    Did ye hear the drink driver last night ? Talk about being bull headed that he should be drinking and driving

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Listened to a woman say that the contraceptive pill caused homosexuality the other night. Absolute gutter trash radio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Hanalei

Found this mildly entertaining for a while. But after listening to it most nights in the last few weeks I've quickly grown tired of it.

Ridiculously obvious that the callers with "controversial" views are basically hired actors. A lot of the callers have suspiciously similar voices and the regulars are ridiculous, Boylan will fire off a load of cheap little digs against these regulars who never react when he mocks them, and then they're back on a few nights later about some other "controversial" issue....

Boylan could go on air and ask "Should rape be decriminalised? Text Yes or No to blah blah blah" and sure enough, 30 seconds later we'd have someone (with a familiar voice) on air who will argue that rape should be legalised....

Extreme example perhaps, but then again; there's some guy who on more than one occasion has called in to argue that pedophilia is normal and misunderstood.....

An angry man who loves nothing more than to stir ****. Can be a bit of a laugh sometimes once you look past the fact that it's nothing but orchestrated trolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭house45

Sorry to bring up an old thread but was wondering if anyone could tell me if there is a podcast for the show on iTunes I tryed looking but could not find any results? Would it be listed as something else? Thanks very much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭snoopy84

house45 wrote: »
    Sorry to bring up an old thread but was wondering if anyone could tell me if there is a podcast for the show on iTunes I tryed looking but could not find any results? Would it be listed as something else? Thanks very much

There is a 4fm app in iTunes you can download with all the podcasts on

• Registered Users Posts: 43 bimlico

I'm always amused at the oul fish wife Lisa who seems to ring in most nights. Don't know if she ever went to school, but if she did, she left way too early. Incapable of formulating a sentence with using the word f**k. Told Boylan last week another caller was "intoxified" Ha!

She also partook in a discussion in which she said she disagreed with corporal punishment and if she caught her husband slapping one of her children, she would put him on a mortuary slab.

The irony was completely lost on her.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Nemanrio

Has to be a wum this fella, along with some of the callers. Pure trolling. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Given I was a plant for a couple of radio stations when they needed a very controversial opinion years ago, I would imagine many of the people on this show are similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

gimmick wrote: »
    Given I was a plant for a couple of radio stations when they needed a very controversyal opinion years ago, I would imagine many of the people on this show are similar.

I have been a regular listener to Niall Boylan at Night but I think Classic Hits 4FM have over used Boylan in recent years with not ONE but TWO live shows on most weekdays. The topics chosen, type of callers on air in addition to the show's style is just not as stimulating as it was in the early days. I used enjoy mind some of the intelligent chat Niall would have with his producer during his evening shows in the early days but those current work colleagues chatting on air with Niall in the studio at around 12midnight in recent times seem rather young and very inexperienced about life in general for some of the type of discussions they have gone into at times. It is borderline cringe-worthy and bottom of the barrel stuff which is a shame. As a result of the format becoming tired and silly, I think it is time to make big changes to their late night programming or else they risk losing more & more of their station audience with the regular repeat shows or repeat segment of shows.

Classic Hits 4FM needs a major investment in both personnel and programming if it is to hold on to it's existing audience and grow it further going forward. If it continues the way it has been going, it will become totally irrelevant and will risk losing all what's left of it's credibility.

RTÉ Radio has done very well with many of it's shows in it's most recent JNLR survey and perhaps shows like "The Late Debate" with Cormac O'Hara which goes out three nights a week from 10:00-11:00pm Tues/Wed/Thurs eats into shows on smaller independent stations like Classic Hits 4FM. I think any commercial station worth it's salt needs to sit up and take notice or you will get left behind if you keep repeating similar topics/similar callers/repeat broadcasts on a very regular basis.

Any radio station that takes it's audience listenership for granted is only asking for a rude awakening as commercial advertisers are watching the all important figures too and repeats are one thing if they start at 02:00am in the morning but another thing if they are going out at 9:00pm on Sunday nights Or; every time a presenter is off or during extended holiday breaks and so on! That dreaded message: Please do not call or text the station at this time because this is a repeat and you will be charged! is becoming all too familiar an occurrence for Classic Hits 4FM and the Niall Boylan at Night Show in particular!

I have been a regular listener to Niall Boylan at Night but I think Classic Hits 4FM have over used Boylan in recent years with not ONE but TWO live shows on most weekdays. The topics chosen, type of callers on air in addition to the show's style is just not as stimulating as it was in the early days. I used enjoy mind some of the intelligent chat Niall would have with his producer during his evening shows in the early days but those current work colleagues chatting on air with Niall in the studio at around 12midnight in recent times seem rather young and very inexperienced about life in general for some of the type of discussions they have gone into at times. It is borderline cringe-worthy and bottom of the barrel stuff which is a shame. As a result of the format becoming tired and silly, I think it is time to make big changes to their late night programming or else they risk losing more & more of their station audience with the regular repeat shows or repeat segment of shows.

Classic Hits 4FM needs a major investment in both personnel and programming if it is to hold on to it's existing audience and grow it further going forward. If it continues the way it has been going, it will become totally irrelevant and will risk losing all what's left of it's credibility.

RTÉ Radio has done very well with many of it's shows in it's most recent JNLR survey and perhaps shows like "The Late Debate" with Cormac O'Hara which goes out three nights a week from 10:00-11:00pm Tues/Wed/Thurs eats into shows on smaller independent stations like Classic Hits 4FM. I think any commercial station worth it's salt needs to sit up and take notice or you will get left behind if you keep repeating similar topics/similar callers/repeat broadcasts on a very regular basis.

Any radio station that takes it's audience listenership for granted is only asking for a rude awakening as commercial advertisers are watching the all important figures too and repeats are one thing if they start at 02:00am in the morning but another thing if they are going out at 9:00pm on Sunday nights Or; every time a presenter is off or during extended holiday breaks and so on! That dreaded message: Please do not call or text the station at this time because this is a repeat and you will be charged! is becoming all too familiar an occurrence for Classic Hits 4FM and the Niall Boylan at Night Show in particular!

It can only assume that since you have posted the same comments again on the thread albeit more detailed and full of venom, that you have some personal issue with 4FM and/or Niall Boylan.
    I find it very difficult to understand your promotion of another show late at night that holds a smaller audience. I may go as far as agreeing if the audience for these shows or his show was depleting when in fact I noticed him (or the station) stating both his day and night show had gone up and seems to constantly go up. The fact it's not your cup of tea is nether here nor there. It seems his growing audience disagrees.
    As for the presenter being absent or missing, I can't say I have ever noticed this absentisim and repeats you refer to all the time. Most talk shows on radio are repeated after midnight and weekends (Newstalk, RTE TV and Radio, fm104, 98fm) so I'm surprised you are zoning all your efforts on this one person and show.
    In relation to shows on RTE eating into Independents at night, you are wrong again as 2FMs bottom of the barrel has failed to gain any traction and Clasdic. Hits and Chris Barry on FM104 hold most of the night time audience in the country.
    The fact you believe the debates are not stimulating seems to indicate you are not listening to the same show I hear on a regular basis and it's quite clear by your general arrack on 4FM and the presenter that you have another agenda.
    "Cringeworthy" discussions? When was that? I think you need to listen to radio around the world and open your mind. It's an adult show with adults presenting it. Although I do believe you are letting the cat out of the preferable bag with that argument (again).
    I for one disagree with 99% of what you said and have never noticed this presenter missing/ absent (I assume he takes summer holiday) on air, repeating topics more than could be expected on any talk show on a yearly rotation or lacking stimulation but most importantly JNLR figures are what matter and the show had gained day and night continuously.

Could be worse and he could be an extra on Fair City!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Hi Niall

If I were you, I would proof read my letters before I post them. Your diatribe was bordering on unreadable. Punctuation is important and don't write as you think. It makes for literary diarrhoea. A bit like the verbal diarrhoea we hear on Niall Boylan's" program"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭badgersbelief

I noticed that Dave Kelly recently followed Niall Boylan on Twitter, he doesn't follow anyone else that's non-104, wonder if it's a sign for the future?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Would be ideal if Adrian & Jeremy went back to 9pm. What's come after them on 104 is dire.

• Advertisement

Nemanrio wrote: »
    Has to be a wum this fella, along with some of the callers. Pure trolling. :D

You seem to think that everyone who criticises this garbage on radio is a troll or as you put it, a WUM. Not true at all. My opinion is not trolling and if you think it is, then you don't understand the meaning of the term.

It can only assume that since you have posted the same comments again on the thread albeit more detailed and full of venom, that you have some personal issue with 4FM and/or Niall Boylan.
    I find it very difficult to understand your promotion of another show late at night that holds a smaller audience. I may go as far as agreeing if the audience for these shows or his show was depleting when in fact I noticed him (or the station) stating both his day and night show had gone up and seems to constantly go up. The fact it's not your cup of tea is nether here nor there. It seems his growing audience disagrees.
    As for the presenter being absent or missing, I can't say I have ever noticed this absentisim and repeats you refer to all the time. Most talk shows on radio are repeated after midnight and weekends (Newstalk, RTE TV and Radio, fm104, 98fm) so I'm surprised you are zoning all your efforts on this one person and show.
    In relation to shows on RTE eating into Independents at night, you are wrong again as 2FMs bottom of the barrel has failed to gain any traction and Clasdic. Hits and Chris Barry on FM104 hold most of the night time audience in the country.
    The fact you believe the debates are not stimulating seems to indicate you are not listening to the same show I hear on a regular basis and it's quite clear by your general arrack on 4FM and the presenter that you have another agenda.
    "Cringeworthy" discussions? When was that? I think you need to listen to radio around the world and open your mind. It's an adult show with adults presenting it. Although I do believe you are letting the cat out of the preferable bag with that argument (again).
    I for one disagree with 99% of what you said and have never noticed this presenter missing/ absent (I assume he takes summer holiday) on air, repeating topics more than could be expected on any talk show on a yearly rotation or lacking stimulation but most importantly JNLR figures are what matter and the show had gained day and night continuously.

Could be worse and he could be an extra on Fair City!!

Cat out of the "PREFERABLE" bag????????. You left school way too early too.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Nemanrio

bimlico wrote: »
    You seem to think that everyone who criticises this garbage on radio is a troll or as you put it, a WUM. Not true at all. My opinion is not trolling and if you think it is, then you don't understand the meaning of the term.

:confused::D

What you on about? Who are you? :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭ROY RACE

Hes got the same 5 or 6 plants ringing in all the time pathetic stuff-radio for numptys

• Registered Users Posts: 45,262 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

The show is aimed at sun and daily mail readers who have a lot of air between their ears. Awful stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Show is brilliant, it's like Judge Ringer on air.

The show is drivel. It's also false as they have paid plants who ring in to say something reslly controversial. This starts thf ball rolling and the rest of the idiots then follow like sheep by ringing in to add in their tuppence worth.

The usual formula for example would be a guy purporting to be a burglar ringing in to say he breaks into houses every night and he's not in any way remorseful and he's making a good living at it. That usually gets peoples backs up.

As I say, pure drivel.

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    The show is aimed at sun and daily mail readers who have a lot of air between their ears. Awful stuff

Totally agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

The last half hour at night is good.

• Advertisement

bimlico wrote: »
    I'm always amused at the oul fish wife Lisa who seems to ring in most nights. Don't know if she ever went to school, but if she did, she left way too early. Incapable of formulating a sentence with using the word f**k. Told Boylan last week another caller was "intoxified" Ha!

She also partook in a discussion in which she said she disagreed with corporal punishment and if she caught her husband slapping one of her children, she would put him on a mortuary slab.

The irony was completely lost on her.

Oops I listened to that show about corporal punishment on the night and it was the Chris Barry Show.
    I agree Lisa is still on every night but she has never been in Boylan's show, so me thinks you're confused. There is no Lisa on his show and I listen to both shows all the time.

Advertisement