Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RTE 1 Subtle Changes

Options
  • 23-01-2014 6:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭

As an experienced and committed radio listener I have noticed a few subtle changes in R1 recently.

#1 Audrey Carville now working on MI instead of The Late Debate.

What's Audrey's background, know she is ex BBC-NI but the listener would like to know ,I think, would she be at a Monaghan league game in February :D.

I like her as a presenter, excellent diction, good grammar, and gets stuck in.

Now !

As a result Brian Dowling has taken the LD slot

Great time for him, good solid performer,but,and this is a big one in my book is subject to serious grammatical gaffes .

A few 'seens' have been heard and other stuff but what I really want to hear is what other serious radio 'buffs' think about this .?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Homer Jay Thompson

The late debate seems to change presenter every 6-9 months

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

It reminds me of a similar way they handle Saturday's news & current affairs slot from 1:00-2:00pm on RTE Radio 1. For many years you had a lively and engaging programme called "Saturday View with Rodney Rice" but after he retired it's been "Saturday with whoever is available" rather than someone solid in place for a prolonged period. The theme signature tune for Saturday with...from 1-2pm also seems inappropriate and a bit over dramatic for this news & current affairs show - it sounds all wrong! "The Late Debate" on Tues/Wed/Thurs @10pm is another example of various presenters such as: Brian Dowling, Claire Byrne, Audrey Carville, Rachel English and possibly others that I may have missed along the way. If you want to build an audience you need to establish loyalty but this is always difficult if you are chopping and changing presenters from one month to the next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Evan DietrichSmith

It reminds me of a similar way they handle Saturday's news & current affairs slot from 1:00-2:00pm on RTE Radio 1. For many years you had a lively and engaging programme called "Saturday View with Rodney Rice" but after he retired it's been "Saturday with whoever is available" rather than someone solid in place for a prolonged period. The theme signature tune for Saturday with...from 1-2pm also seems inappropriate and a bit over dramatic for this news & current affairs show - it sounds all wrong! "The Late Debate" on Tues/Wed/Thurs @10pm is another example of various presenters such as: Brian Dowling, Claire Byrne, Audrey Carville, Rachel English and possibly others that I may have missed along the way. If you want to build an audience you need to establish loyalty but this is always difficult if you are chopping and changing presenters from one month to the next.

Black card there, you missed the main man - auld Vinnie B who iirc started political 'debate' in that time slot.

I write debate like that as was usually Vinnie joshing with his mates Sean Ardagh et al whilst filleting some poor no marker wheeled in to defend those in power.

all interspersed with a great amount of coughing and harrrrumping.

Good times, good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

I stand corrected as I do recall listening to many of Vincent Browne's shows in that time slot. In fact, the slot was called: "Tonight with Vincent Browne" which is the exact same name of his current TV3 show on the box in recent years. If I recall correctly his RTÉ Radio 1 show used air from Mon-Thurs from 10-11pm. Ocassionally that show used be extended beyond 11pm news. I used enjoy the radio preview of tomorrow's morning newspapers editions but he was nearly always up against the clock. Vincent nearly took over Radio 1 in the late night slot at one stage as you could have his Tonight with Vincent Browne extended and for a while Vincent also had his "Midnight Court" programme on the same nights! Ah, happy times on da radio when Vinnie would start wailing and sighing heavily if any of his guests would not give him direct answers to long winded questions - It could be quite comical at times - Good times deffo!! :)

Advertisement