Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

45,000 words done! Wahoooo!

Options
  • 04-07-2013 3:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭

Just wanted to post this somewhere because nobody I know has a clue what I am on about. I always said I wanted to write a book and i am in my last three months of freedom before college-->work-->retirement i.e. my last chance to do this for a long time. I just hit 45,000 words, it's flying in a good direction, my characters are beginning to show their true colours, I couldn't be happier. Even if it never gets published, I can tick it off my list. Hoping to hit 50,000 by tomorrow or Saturday and be over the halfway hump - I am aiming for 100,000 first draft.
    :D:D:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

Good Man :)

I'm in the exact same boat and trying to finish my novel until the summer ends. It's coming out well, but the amount of editing I'll be doing will be something to see.

5,000 words in one day. I thought I was good for 600:o

I wonder how people feel about a thread where we post our daily/weekly/hell, monthly, word counts? As in I wrote X amount of words? I've seen on a few other sites and it seemed pretty cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭etymon

Just hit 60,000. I'm trying to meet the deadline for the Irish Writer's Centre Novel Fair to keep me going and have a goal... I need time to do a full edit before I submit anything though. Have only a mild hope of publication but a great sense of achievement, ticking something off the list. It's actually enjoyable. Imagine writing for a living... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Agent Weebley

Good going, etymon.

The last time I checked in here, I giggled to myself, as it made me think about a Monty Python sketch with John Cleese being interviewed about playing King Lear:

[Paraphased] "It's not about the number of words; you have to get them in the right order."

This sent me on a wild ride, which I will get into a little later, so as not to monopolise the forum.

Oh: when you edit, pretend to not have ever seen the stuff you have written. This should expose inadvertent hanging participles that you can pluck like low hanging fruit.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭crfcaio

Congrats!

I currently set a minimum word count I must reach every day and have reached 3,500 words. That might not seem a lot compared to what other posters have shared, but to me it's awesome!

Hopefully I will be able to increase my minimum word count while continue to reaching it when I get back to college.

Advertisement