Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wynn's Engine Flush

• 14-04-2013 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I'm considering using Wynn's Engine Flush on my 1997 Toyota Corolla 1.3 efi engine with 156,000 miles on it. I Highly doubt the engine has ever been flushed properly before so i'm wondering could it end up doing more damage than good.

Shes also burning some oil particularly on start up so could this product ruin the piston rings even more than they already are? :P

Cheers in advance for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's not recommended for >75k cars, I think it says on the tin.
    What's the reason to flush it?

I don't like the idea of engine flushes as they can be very harsh.

I'm much happier running a good diesel engine oil of the correct viscosity etc in a petrol engine for 1000/2000 miles than dumping that out, I've done this on a few petrols with good results :)

The extra detergents in the diesel engine oil does wonders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

Oh right cool wont bother so.

Tis just due a service and wanted to give it a right good one :p

RoverJames wrote: »
    I don't like the idea of engine flushes as they can be very harsh.

I'm much happier running a good diesel engine oil of the correct viscosity etc in a petrol engine for 1000/2000 miles then dumping that out, I've done this on a few petrols with good results :)

The extra detergents in the diesel engine oil does wonders.

Cheers, any recommendation as to which viscosity?

A car that old will burn a bit extra oil.
    What oil is in it now? 10/40?

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »
    A car that old will burn a bit extra oil.
    What oil is in it now? 10/40?

It actually puts out a blast of bluish smoke for 5 or 6 seconds sometimes on start up. Had a lad who said he knew what he was at change the timing belt a few months back and reckon he bent a valve. Could that be the cause?

The oil thats in it normally is 10w40 but there is about 1.5ltrs of 15w40 in it at the moment (only oil to hand at the time on 2 occasions :p).

brembo26 wrote: »
    Cheers, any recommendation as to which viscosity?

Whatever Toyota recommend for it :)

Whatever Toyota recommend for it :)

So any diesel engine oil for 1000/2000 miles, drain, add new filter and top up with 10/40? :)

Yep, I used use Halfords stuff on special offer, that combined with the 10% group voucher makes it not much more than a can of flush, I've always left the old filter on too until I drain out the diesel stuff after the couple of thousand miles, new filter would do no harm either of course.

It actually puts out a blast of bluish smoke for 5 or 6 seconds sometimes on start up. Had a lad who said he knew what he was at change the timing belt a few months back and reckon he bent a valve. Could that be the cause?
    That sounds odd. Unless the timing belt snapped I don't see how you would have a bent valve. If belt snaps all valves will take a beating.

Blue smoke on diesel startup

• Advertisement

That sounds odd. Unless the timing belt snapped I don't see how you would have a bent valve. If belt snaps all valves will take a beating.

Blue smoke on diesel startup

He didnt set the timing right and tried turning the engine. I ended up getting the correct setting out of a book for him :rolleyes: Runs fine other than that few seconds at start up.

EDIT Also its the 1.3 efi petrol engine.

Ah sorry, all the diesel chat threw me off.

A bent valve should make an racket but take it to another mechanic and let them have a listen just in case.
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hea9L7CEvZU
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=he80qnVXD70

Hmm, certainly doesn't sound anything like them anyway. Actually doesn't sound rough at all. Possibly just piston rings?

Passed nct 3 weeks ago with nothing wrongs with emissions either?

Yeah it's probably oil seeping into the cylinders overnight and burned off in the morning, as you said she likes her oil.
    Once burned off car is back to normal and it won't show up on emissions test.
    Considering car age and miles I'd just keep driving it until something expensive breaks and then scrap it, but that's me.
    Hey, you could try a high mileage oil or switch up to 15w40?

Passed nct 3 weeks ago with nothing wrongs with emissions either?

200ppm HC spec on NCT facilitates a drop being burnt :)
    What was the actual HC result do you remember?

Low Idle: HC 35ppm

High Idle: HC 25ppm

A litre every 5000 miles ish?

Considering car age and miles I'd just keep driving it until something expensive breaks and then scrap it.

Oh I totally agree :p From what I hear about these particular engines ill still be expecting another 50,000 miles before things start going to badly wrong.

A litre every 5000 miles ish?

To be honest its more like 1ltr oil to 3500 miles :p

Edit!

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

sounds more like the valve seals are leaking a bit over night, I wouldn't use that oil flush, its very harsh and will loosen all the carbon and crap inside the engine which can cause more damage than its worth

• Advertisement

Cheers for the replies.

Would it be worth getting the seals replaced since shes only worth €800 ish?

Is there any damage being done to the engine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Cheers for the replies.

Would it be worth getting the seals replaced since shes only worth €800 ish?

Is there any damage being done to the engine?

In terms of labour it can cost a bit because the head has to come off and all the valves would be reseated too.

The seals themselves are probably about €30-€50 but you'll also need a headgasket kit (gasket/bolts etc), possibly a skim, it's just good practice to clean the surface, timing belt kit would be a good idea too while it's off. You're possibly looking at close to €800 all things considered

Just had the timing belt replaced before the christmas :P

If its not doin any harm I might just keep driving it the way it is. I dont mind feeding it oil once a month or so :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

I poured about 400ml of diesel into a 96 colt and let it idle for 15 mins before changing the oil.

You could literally hear the engine becoming smoother for the first couple of mins, used to idle at about 950, smooth as silk at 600 afterwards.

Probably a bad idea for newer cars but worked a charm on that old girl.

Did it again on a 01 Ka and the difference was really noticeable, much more eager.

Defiantly not for ever car but its worked well for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

Just had the timing belt replaced before the christmas :P

If its not doin any harm I might just keep driving it the way it is. I dont mind feeding it oil once a month or so :P

Its not really going to do any harm, just keep a eye on it to make sure you don't run low on oil

Would it be worth getting the seals replaced since shes only worth €800 ish?.......

Makes no sense from an economic viewpoint :)

If you did all the required work yourself it would still not be worth doing imo.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement