Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The "Today I did something to my car" thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,488 ✭✭✭Killinator

Reverse camera fitted and working

DSC_0097_zps850541a0.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

Top Dog wrote: »
    Nice to hear a positive review - cheers :)

Yep, they're the job alright, got a pair to replace my screechy worn-out ones, best €25 I ever spent. Halfords wanted something like €50 for them, got them for €27 delivered from mister-auto (although they took longer than I'd like to get there).

Halfords is like PC world IMO. Handy for certain things (like being open on Sunday), but just as PC World charges €25 for a HDMI cable you can get for €5 from an indy computer shop, halfords charges you €15 for the €5 bulb you get in a motor factors.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,288 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Haha PC world, i used them once to back up my entire desktop in terms of files( moved all the obvious stuff i wanted kept to my DT) as they tried to fix something, got PC back and they had backed up the shortcuts only, triple facepalm moment :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

Collected the car today from Larry in CleanCar, and I'm absolutely over the moon. Before I brought it back out into the rain, I took some photographs and wrote some words...

8639927051_f8f2625f12_z.jpg

8639926893_f31e4958d2_z.jpg

8641031924_e5e15e24cc_z.jpg

Stopped off in Aldi to grab some quick daylight shots...

8639927947_57e80c8bd9_z.jpg

8639928043_ed4fd59b79_z.jpg

More on my blog...

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Dr.Rieux

Paddy, I cannot think of anything I wouldn't sell to own that car. I include family in that :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭transam

mighty fine 3series , what is she Paddy ? 330d?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭tossy

Was the car up north at Dubshed Paddy?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I hoovered the inside but am getting the cleaning bug. Car needs a wash again :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

transam wrote: »
    mighty fine 3series , what is she Paddy ? 330d?

think it's a 320d

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

I replaced a brake light bulb and replaced the cabin bulbs with LED's on the 156. I then realized I had forgotten to order one for the boot so I improvised a little using some LED strips I had. (multimeter to check for polarity, not sure if that 9.9V is due to crappy wiring or an intentional voltage reduction on Alfa's part.. Battery read 11.7).

oOcLX9b.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Replaced the thermostat, took a lot longer than it should have but it done now, cost me €55 all in and the temp gauge heads to the middle now and I actually have hot air!
    Heading up currantoohil tomorrow so I figure we'd need the heat after! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

This evening was my first time since last summer washing the car after work thanks to the lovely weather! I used Meguiar's Last Touch detailer as a drying aid/gloss booster this evening and it's top class. It dries instantly, shines immensely and smells SSSSSOOOOOOOOOO good!!!!

I might be starting my paint correction tomorrow, not sure yet. Good thing is, the BM doesn't need anywhere near the amount of correction that the MPS needed so I'm estimating about 15 hours total instead of 30 last time.

OSI wrote: »
    You fix that wonky exhaust yet? :pac:

LOL :D Yep, bitta sellotape...be grand :pac:

Finally got some stuff done today i have been meaning to do.

First off tyres+wheels :)

img20130412195905.jpg
    img20130412200013.jpg
    img20130412200036.jpg
    img20130412200053.jpg

Difference in handling and comfort is night and day, however Teddy doesn't seem too impressed.

img20130412200535.jpg

In fairness the car is sitting fairly high so that's next on the agenda :)

img20130412200705.jpg

Would have had that done and dusted last week but instead i went and got a double din unit and an android phone to pair with it (Huawei Y300 bargain @ €129 tbh) so no more juggling phone while driving. It's sitting forward abit too much as they ordered the wrong facia type, will do for abit until i have time to fix it.

img20130412200827.jpg

Also thanks to these two wonderful products my tyres aren't brown and my wheels satin black :p

img20130412201011.jpg

Oh boy not again :(

img20130412200857.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Woot! With help from barura the front is now off the blue 156 so no slam panel, rads, lights, valance etc. Much easier to access the engine this way :)

Too dark for pics I'm afraid but I'm sure you can picture what it looks like now :p

Also discovered that the towing eye is replacable :pac::pac::pac:

Nice work Jim!

I have to say though, when you first posted a pic of the alloys after they were done, even though the finish was beautiful, I didn't think they'd go at all with the blue of the car. Boy was I wrong! Looks class!!!

Also, how do you find that wet n' black stuff? I used it once and followed the directions but the first time I drove the car it flew off the tyres and went all over the alloys and bodywork :( I use the wet n' black in the aerosol and I find it much better than the stuff you have and 10 times better than black in a flash.

I'm trying to find a product that will permanently shine the tyre wall but nothing as of yet. I thought it would be something that Gtechniq would make but no although they have a temporary version.

Thanks, still haven't gotten around to putting the centre cap decals on and have black nut+locking nuts set and mudflaps on the way.

Polybush front set/lowering springs and spacers should tidy it up nicely

Edit: Well i got it on halfords 3 for 2 tbh so it wasn't a pre planned thing or the like. It is abit messy mind and i ended up shampooing and rinsing the wheels and archers twice between dressing and shining as i was paranoid the wet and black stuff if let to dry would etch the finish of both.

Bit of advice when it comes to the mudflaps if they are black - get Gtechniq permanent trim restorer. It will deepen the black and stop them from going grey like mudflaps often do and will seal them better than any wax.

It can also be used on any black plastic trim on the car and is easier and less messy to use compared to PlastiDip ;)

Plastidip is a major pain in the backside to work with, the aerosol doesn't spray evenly/ the nozzle gunks up and in general i just don't like using it (not the miracle product people on the net make it out to be) although dar and afew others have got along well with it. Thanks will add that to the shopping as the arms on the windor wipers have gone abit grey too.

Use it on the black plastic on the wing mirrors, doors, fog light surrounds, rear valance reflectors surrounds, grille, wiper arms and aerial. It comes in a very small bottle but a little drop of it goes a LONG way.

It also produces excellent beading on its own and after a few hours curing, it can then be coated with wax without "whiting" the plastic.

The only thing you need to take time doing is prepping the surface and making damn sure there's no silicon-based product or grease on it. After that it's a superior product like the rest of the Gtechniq range.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Gavman84

Hey Super car is looking class. Did you get an RS clutch yet? I remember you saying clutch was acting up or was that something less serious than thought? I'd love an st myself ill get one eventually when doing less miles!

No i dodged that bullet thank god, i just think something got rattled when i hit a massive pothole but it's settled back down now. Prices here are extortionate and it's much cheaper to pay 700 sterling or so for a kit and ship it over. Ford themselves charge something like €520 just for the dmf + vat - 15% discount when for 700 odd sterling who can get the whole kit (Alot of the time if you just change the rest of it the DMF can come out of place and will go soon after so 2x the labour)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Gavman84

That's good to hear so its not an issue for ya anyway! Hefty prices alright in fairness. Gives you more cash to do what you want now as opposed to having to fix something.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭mooman

Finally got some stuff done today i have been meaning to do.

First off tyres+wheels :)

Difference in handling and comfort is night and day, however Teddy doesn't seem too impressed.

In fairness the car is sitting fairly high so that's next on the agenda :)

Would have had that done and dusted last week but instead i went and got a double din unit and an android phone to pair with it (Huawei Y300 bargain @ €129 tbh) so no more juggling phone while driving. It's sitting forward abit too much as they ordered the wrong facia type, will do for abit until i have time to fix it.

Also thanks to these two wonderful products my tyres aren't brown and my wheels satin black :p

Oh boy not again :(

Thats a nice, clean looking ST there doesn't seem to be too many around at the moment. I was supposed to go see this one today but the seller fobbed me off at the last minute, he seems to have it in his head that he can sell it easier in the UK even though I'm sitting here with cash burning a hole in my pocket seems bizarre.

mooman wrote: »
    Thats a nice, clean looking ST there doesn't seem to be too many around at the moment. I was supposed to go see this one today but the seller fobbed me off at the last minute, he seems to have it in his head that he can sell it easier in the UK even though I'm sitting here with cash burning a hole in my pocket seems bizarre.

That's odd as he is a member of the Owners club afew of the lads over here are on. Facelift have a much better spec if st2-3, i prefer the Pre myself but that's down to personal taste but that is a cracking car.

Mine was a pretty boggy spec when i got it no heated screen/scrap stereo about 700 quid of small pdr/rear bumper/small marks that need doing at some stage but i ended up going for it, best of luck finding a decent ST and start saving for petrol :p

If you have any questions feel free to ask here http://www.focusstoc.com/forums/forum/78-republic-of-ireland/

That's odd as he is a member of the Owners club afew of the lads over here are on. Facelift have a much better spec if st2-3, i prefer the Pre myself but that's down to personal taste but that is a cracking car.

Mine was a pretty boggy spec when i got it no heated screen/scrap stereo about 700 quid of small pdr/rear bumper/small marks that need doing at some stage but i ended up going for it, best of luck finding a decent ST and start saving for petrol :p

If you have any questions feel free to ask here http://www.focusstoc.com/forums/forum/78-republic-of-ireland/

I prefer the front end on the facelift, but to be honest it was the engine that made me want one not the looks so I'm keeping my options open, as long as I can find a well looked after car. I actually stumbled across him on that forum yesterday while I was looking through some posts he had a link to the ad posted, they all seem like a sound bunch of lads over there too!

mooman wrote: »
    they all seem like a sound bunch of lads over there too!

There's at least 3 of them here...pr!cks the lot of 'em ;)

There's at least 3 of them here...pr!cks the lot of 'em ;)

1343264435811088.jpg

Crap on car

Happened me today, washed the car to take pictures for donedeal, went in for a cup of tea and when I came out the sunroof was absolutely smeared :mad:

• Advertisement

What makes you think I included you in that comment??? :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement