Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

All ye oul wans and oul fellas out there! Wakey wakey, rise and shine!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

They must be related Brens GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

My heart weeps for ya Rube. I know what its like to work for a horrible boss, but thankfully I didn't have to work for her for too long, as she made me and another staff member redundant! Grrrrr. I would have liked to have worked up to retirement. Dole queues are gross.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

This is off topic for the Easy Quiz thread but, because the topic keeps cropping up, maybe here would be an acceptable place. Incredible as it may seem, it appears that there are still people around who, for a variety of reasons (some of which cannot be discussed here before the watershed), have no memory of Torchy Torchy the Battery Boy.

Many of these people appear perfectly normal in every other way - they bravely manage to conceal their affliction and make the best of things. Well, having received so much "Care in the Community" myself, it's now my turn to give something back; to help humanity; to spread wisdom and understanding; to make the World a better place. Right here, at the click of your mouse, in glorious fifty shades of grey and full monosound, is the Genesis of Torchy Torchy the Battery Boy; his raison d'être, as those soap-dodgers would say.

It's my doody, no need to thank me. Just pick an opportune moment to open this and don't forget to leave time for post-Torchy contemplation after it. 30 minutes should do it.

And yes! Box sets are available.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytGWj46k8w4

• Registered Users Posts: 28,014 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I just have the smallest suspicion that I might be being got at...however I watched extracts of that - kept fast forwarding when it got too tedious profound and didn't actually finish it.

I think I have a good idea why I could not remember it :pac:

looksee wrote: »
    I just have the smallest suspicion that I might be being got at...however I watched extracts of that - kept fast forwarding when it got too tedious profound and didn't actually finish it.

Mid-afternoon???? To appreciate the Genesis of Torchy Torchy the Battery Boy????

Dear, oh dear! Face in hands.

Oh well, if and when you feel that you are ready to expand your horizons, this is a sample of my stock of classics. They are almost worn out but Mr. Youchoob probably has them and, if not, I have spares I could lend you.

353574.jpg

• Advertisement

Wallace and Gromett is funny, but other than that, I'm good thanks (as they say in the US of A)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Alice1

Oh, they are videotapes... that's alright then. Fraid I thought they were.... something else.

Alice1 wrote: »
    Oh, they are videotapes... that's alright then. Fraid I thought they were.... something else.

I remember vidgy-o-tapes but never got one to work. Oh, what fun we had! Miles of shiny black tape pouring out of a really expensive ornament called a vidgy-o-recorder like sudz pouring out of a washing machine. Then, pushing the debris back into shopping bags, bringing them back to Extravision and paying the fines. Oh, great days!

We still have a vidgy-o-recorder - it's programmed and locked to start playing first thing on 1st January 3000.

No, the classics shown above are on things called deeveedeez. Provided you put them into the right machine and the right way up, these work every time. No fun a tall a tall.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I've always been a Thunderbirds fan and one of my favourite memories was when I was working in London in a comic shop that Gerry Anderson came up and introduced himself to me. He liked my Fireball XL5 t-shirt. :) A wonderfully talented man with a tragic personal life. There are stories about that he burnt many of the original puppets and models of Thunderbirds in a fit of rage during his messy divorce from Sylvia.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

It's HOT......soooooo HAWWWWWWT! Need wathur.........see yiz later.

• Advertisement

Somebody. In one of the houses to the back of ours, the ones that are yards away but need a half mile trip to get to. Has been playing a tin whistle endlessly for about an hour now. One of those endless ditty things beloved of ceili bands, fast and twiddly and interminable.

I am seriously considering the 1812 on full volume.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Somebody. In one of the houses to the back of ours, the ones that are yards away but need a half mile trip to get to. Has been playing a tin whistle endlessly for about an hour now. One of those endless ditty things beloved of ceili bands, fast and twiddly and interminable.

I am seriously considering the 1812 on full volume.

Go for it.

Yup! Go for it. Similar story, I was driving in the hot heat today, 24 degrees and I could hear this loud music, couldn't figure out where it was coming from and it seemed to be following me round. Thought there was an event somewhere with music blaring. But when I looked in my mirror I could see the driver behind me singing along with the music and all his windows open, realised it was coming from his car. He wasn't a kid either, at least in his 30's. Now I am fond of music and often sing in the car, but never do I bombard the citizens of this town with loud music. I could hear it a street away.

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Now I am fond of music and often sing in the car, but never do I bombard the citizens of this town with loud music. I could hear it a street away.

Oh, I do! It's loike todally ossum, man, chillin' in my 1992 1.3liter zooped-up Mitsubishi with my choones, boom-box, blacked-out windowscreens an' trilby hat. After Glastonberry.....ahem.....I bought all of Kanye West's stuff. Then I loike swapped all my loike clothes'n'stuff for stuff that's loike 5 sizes too big an' now I is croozin', man, not snoozin'. See, we loike know that the wimmin tink's that only loike todally fit geezers know how to play choones at loike 11.

Is that new medication Brens? :D

So I am busy doing two other things and the mobile rings. So I answer it and a female voice says something along the lines of 'hello looksee, I am calling for Sherree/Cherie' or some such name. Who? I say, trying to do one of the two other things at the same time. 'Three, I am calling from Three Mobile' she says. 'Oh, no thanks I am not interested' I say on autopilot, 'byeee' and ring off.

Just as I ring off I realise that I am now with 3 since it merged with or took over O2. Ah! might have been some amazing offer. On the other hand it might not, and she has gone now anyway.

I just wonder though, why do these random people (including people calling to the door wanting to clean your gutters/ sell you tickets for stuff/ whatever) think that you are either willing or able to just drop whatever you are doing to attend to their uninvited wants? If you want to communicate with me, send me an email, pop a note through the letterbox, or some other non-invasive strategy. But don't expect me to change direction in mid activity to accommodate you.

tl/dr I am old, and grumpy, don't hassle me.

Blaring music from anywhere............usually by eejits just looking for a fight!

So I am busy doing two other things and the mobile rings. So I answer it and a female voice says something along the lines of 'hello looksee, I am calling for Sherree/Cherie' or some such name. Who? I say, trying to do one of the two other things at the same time. 'Three, I am calling from Three Mobile' she says. 'Oh, no thanks I am not interested' I say on autopilot, 'byeee' and ring off.

Just as I ring off I realise that I am now with 3 since it merged with or took over O2. Ah! might have been some amazing offer. On the other hand it might not, and she has gone now anyway.

I just wonder though, why do these random people (including people calling to the door wanting to clean your gutters/ sell you tickets for stuff/ whatever) think that you are either willing or able to just drop whatever you are doing to attend to their uninvited wants? If you want to communicate with me, send me an email, pop a note through the letterbox, or some other non-invasive strategy. But don't expect me to change direction in mid activity to accommodate you.

Funny! I don't mind the callers to the door provided they're here to "suggest" rather than "ram" their service down my neck. Getting a new business started can be tough and I (sort of) admire them for their effort.

But....those phone calls......reading from a script.......prepared answers......relentless yabbering.....all from the comfort of their desk.....at a time to suit them....!

I have asked before but didn't get an answer: In the old days, if you didn't hang up a nuisance phone call - leave the receiver sitting on your desk or whatever - the caller was unable to make another call until YOU hung up properly. Oh I do hope this is still true because well, a typical call to BrensBenz Manor: "Oh hello, this is Shard'n from Acme Perfect Company and we wondered if you might be interested in our new, super-duper, all expense spared wonder produ......" "Oh, very sorry Shard'n, would you mind if I just put the phone down for a moment?" This isn't in her script so: "Eh no, dat's grand....." Phone goes to desk, BrensBenz goes to kitchen to make tea, assemble a sandwich, take Woof for his walk, wash car, visit neighbours.

"Yeah buh yeah buh" I hear you say. "What if someone is trying to call your landline?" Well, if it's someone I know, they have my mobile number or can get it quickly. All others must wait.

But hark, is that the footfall of yonder postman I hear, carrying about his van my birthday pressie? Yes, it is, Woof is barking........see yiz anon.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

BrensBenz wrote: »
    Blah blah blah birthday blah blah.
    CAKE!

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

OldGoat wrote: »
    CAKE!

It's not for a few days yet but, yes, I think it's fair to assume that I may be called upon to inspect several cakes, particularly those with dairy products, health foods and five-a-day fruit stuff. Toblerone and mandarin cheesecake satisfies all requirements as does Black Forest Gateau.

Unfortunately, mounting the required number of candles onto a piece of gurrcake presents certain issues, not least the skill of a neuro-surgeon being required to insert that many candles into such a small space. Unless, of course, gurrcake might be available in proper sizes. Hmmmm, must investigate......

• Advertisement

Apathy birthday tooo yoooooo
    Apathy birthday tooo yoooooo
    App-AH-tee BIRTHday dear BrensBenz
    Apathybirthdaytoyou!

Have a nice day y'all! ;)

I just wonder though, why do these random people (including people calling to the door wanting to clean your gutters/ sell you tickets for stuff/ whatever) think that you are either willing or able to just drop whatever you are doing to attend to their uninvited wants? If you want to communicate with me, send me an email, pop a note through the letterbox, or some other non-invasive strategy. But don't expect me to change direction in mid activity to accommodate you

Hah, we had one of those today. Maybe he was on the level, and claimed he'd done the windows for "lady of the house" a few months ago. But I don't really like door-to-door touting, even if I was going to entertain the idea, and he blinked way too much.

Anyone else find they trust people less if their eyes are constantly fluttering?

Edit: Also, happy birthday, Brensbenz!

I want to cry
    Government dept. want to take me to court .... and they want to take my driving licence off me too.

Rubecula wrote: »
    I want to cry
    Government dept. want to take me to court .... and they want to take my driving licence off me too.

Eek! O.O That all sounds fairly alarming!

I want to cry

Aw no Rube. You don't need this. Rotten treatment. Get thee to a solicitor. Hope things go your way.

It is a real pain, and I live in the back of beyond too.

I want to cry

All is not lost! I know a place (ahem) with more laws and regulations than you can shake a stick at but without the resources to enforce them. In fact, this place has laws that are impossible to enforce and they have an online industry advising their citizens on how to circumvent the laws that can be enforced. They're also very good at refusing extradition requests on the most microscopic technicalities. Go west, young man! You'll be grand so ya' will.

If I go west from here I will end up in Ireland lol

If I go west from here I will end up in Ireland lol

You'd more likely just fall into the Irish Sea!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

and be done for swimming without a licence

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement