Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Dubai Thread [Merged]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 ca3nie

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Its best to book a return flight.

When I fist moved over, I was still traveling around the UAE quite a bit before getting my Visa & had a return flight booked just in case I got stopped going through the airport.

Thanks for the info, will book a return flight. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Captain Commie

ca3nie wrote: »
    Hey, boyfriend is after being offered a job in Dubai and he is taking it, he is heading over in the next 2 weeks and I will hopefully follow him over once he is settled. I will be heading over augist some time with the dog :rolleyes:

I will be going over on a tourist visa and will be looking for work, does annyone no do I need to have a return flight book since I will be on a holiday visa:confused:

I assume you will not be living together. you may or may not know, but it is illegal for an unmarried couple to live together in UAE, even in Dubai where it is more liberal compared to others.

Still waiting on the dates for the wife to head out, but coming up soon i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭roryq

You technically don't have to leave the country on a flight.. You can travel across the border to Oman get a stamp and return again. I know some people who have been doing this for a number of months. It is about an 90min drive to where you need to go.

In relation to the whole not being married thing. Myself and my wife now did this for 3 months. Ya do kinda have to keep the head down. And it only really becomes an issue in my opinion in an area populated by a lot of muslims. So you have to be careful where you live. This is the same for the dog also. I live in an area where it is alright to have a dog. But it sounds like a lot of areas around Dubai are kinda enforcing a no dog rule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 ca3nie

Thanks for all the info :) As my boyfriend will be in company accommodation for the first couple of months and I will be getting my own apartment. Hopefully there wont be a problem with him then moving in after a few weeks.
    He will be looking out for a pet friendly complex before I head over, but if anyone knows of any please fell free to drop a few names :)

It all depends on where you boyfriend is going to be working. I live in The Greens which is near Dubai Internet City and close to the mall of the emirates. Lot of people around here have dogs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

roryq wrote: »
    It all depends on where you boyfriend is going to be working. I live in The Greens which is near Dubai Internet City and close to the mall of the emirates. Lot of people around here have dogs.

I hear there is a plan to ban dogs in the greens, after a child was bitten. I don't know how as theres loads of dogs there.

I didn't hear anything about that. There is a fairly big dog owner community down here. The only problem is that there is a lot of dog owners that don't clean up after their dogs and that is causing problems with Emaar from what I heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 quinn1

Hey Everyone,

I have a telephone interview for a school in Sharjah soon. What is Sharjah like? Any one had a telephone interview and have any tips on what they might ask?

Also, am I reading correctly, 8000 UEA is not enough to live on? even with accomadation paid for by school?

What do people do for fun over there? Do irish/ expats not get together?
    Also, last Q, what is the average age of expats/irish workers there? I'm 35 (female) and will be coming on my own (if I get the job!) is everyone else in their early 20's???

• Registered Users Posts: 36 London Irish

quinn1 wrote: »
    Hey Everyone,

I have a telephone interview for a school in Sharjah soon. What is Sharjah like? Any one had a telephone interview and have any tips on what they might ask?

Also, am I reading correctly, 8000 UEA is not enough to live on? even with accomadation paid for by school?

What do people do for fun over there? Do irish/ expats not get together?
    Also, last Q, what is the average age of expats/irish workers there? I'm 35 (female) and will be coming on my own (if I get the job!) is everyone else in their early 20's???

Sharjah is the most conservative of the emirates, and is a dry emirate, no alcohol. http://www.dubaifaqs.com/sharjah.php

8K AED isn't very much - do you have to buy and run a car out of that too? The accomodation will be in Sharjah?

Dubai has plenty of great places to each and drink. There appears to be a good irish community centered around the GAA (http://www.dubaicelts.com/) and the Irish society (http://irishsocietydubai.com/) - though I don't get to interact with either due to work.

I suggest reaching out to the Dubai Celts for advice - I understand most of the players are teachers, so you should get some practical advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

What is Sharjah like?

I was recently offered a job in Sharjah and while doing research (talking to people who worked there and on the internet), it appears that there isn't a whole lot going on in Sharjah. The general consensus was not to live there.

It does seem very little, to be honest. That is approx. 1600 Euro a month. Ask if you have to pay utilities (water/electricity/internet/tv) - this could take a chunk out of your salary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 quinn1

Thanks London Irish and Tom D, for replying...

I know €1600 is a bad salary over here but thought the cost of living might be cheap over there. Take it thats not the case then?

I doubt i'll be driving over there, will that be a problem? i.e is it possible to get buses/trains/trams or even walk, from e.g., Sharjah for example?

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭rusty_racer94

I grew up there, it's quite good. You'll love it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Polleta

I didn't hear anything about that. There is a fairly big dog owner community down here. The only problem is that there is a lot of dog owners that don't clean up after their dogs and that is causing problems with Emaar from what I heard.
    Dogs aren't banned yet in the greens but there have been several incidents with children from what I've heard. I live in the greens too and frankly i think the larger dogs shouldn't be allowed. There is no way these apts are big enough for some of the dogs here. It is cruel to keep an alsation and other large dogs in this accommodation! Better off looking in Arabian ranches where you can get a reasonable priced villa with garden. It's a bit far out but I have friends living there and they love it!

Yeah you see a lot of big dogs around here alright. It had me wondering how the hell they have them in there apartments. Even the two beds are not that large for that like.

Even with a garden that is alright in the winter in the summer ya can't do anything with the dogs during the day cause of the heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭rusty_racer94

My Neighbours in Dubai used to leave their dog alone at home while they used to be at work, the dog used to sit in the window and look outside. And when they'd come home, the Dog went for a run outside with the owner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Polleta

Yeah you see a lot of big dogs around here alright. It had me wondering how the hell they have them in there apartments. Even the two beds are not that large for that like.

Even with a garden that is alright in the winter in the summer ya can't do anything with the dogs during the day cause of the heat.
    Yeah I have no idea! I've been in the bigger two bed places and I wouldn't even keep a small dog in them without feeling like it was cruel! I guess tho people must manage it somehow or they wouldn't have them. Also a crazy amount of cats but its a lot less cruel to keep them I feel. Not that I'm.tempted myself!
    Will stick to trying to keep myself hydrated!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 nocanoesue

Irish Teacher in Mirdif!!!! Advice Needed!!

Hey guys... so Ive signed up with a recruitment agency for teachign jobs in UAE and have just been told I have an interview for Mirdif Private School Dubai on Wednesday coming !!!!! Anyway I feel like I have a good chance of getting this job so does anyone out there know anything about this school or work there or have any info in general about the Mirdif area..I know from my countless hours spent researchign that its about 20 mins by cab to downtown Dubai and its a rather family oriented area which is fine for me as I am not hoping to go to Dubai to party. But is there anyone out there who can share their experiences with me!! Ill a 29 year old single teacher so Id be literally going by myself knowing nobody out there so any help will be appreciated xxxx

• Registered Users Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

nocanoesue wrote: »
    Irish Teacher in Mirdif!!!! Advice Needed!!

Hey guys... so Ive signed up with a recruitment agency for teachign jobs in UAE and have just been told I have an interview for Mirdif Private School Dubai on Wednesday coming !!!!! Anyway I feel like I have a good chance of getting this job so does anyone out there know anything about this school or work there or have any info in general about the Mirdif area..I know from my countless hours spent researchign that its about 20 mins by cab to downtown Dubai and its a rather family oriented area which is fine for me as I am not hoping to go to Dubai to party. But is there anyone out there who can share their experiences with me!! Ill a 29 year old single teacher so Id be literally going by myself knowing nobody out there so any help will be appreciated xxxx

Dubai is a place to party (whatever your variation on partying is) so come here with the attitude that you need to enjoy it. Otherwise you will find it a lonely place. Mirdiff is a fine place to live, it has a good mall, places to eat (chain restaurants) a cinema etc. (no pubs or clubs). It has very little public transport, but is not too far from other places to go out - 20-30 mins taxi ride. Taxi's are cheap relative to the likes of Dublin. Make sure that the pay package you get is reasonable, as teachers salaries vary from very good to very poor, most veering towards the latter.

Its a great place, but don't think its like a European city where you can enjoy the city lifestyle cheaply... There are parks and outdoor amenities, but you pay to use them, there is no city centre so malls are considered places of recreation... a pint of beer is the equivalent of €9. I'm not trying to put you off, just trying to give you a realistic perspective. Its a great place, but be prepared to put in what you want to get out of it...

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭wuffly

Like bluefoam said mirdif is grand, but quiet there's tons to do in Dubai and you may as well do it, as all work and no play would drive you mad! if your here to save there wont be two much to tempt you in Mirdif. There's bound to be other international teachers like yourself probably a few even a Irish. I've had friends working in Sharjah which is a dry emirate next door so mirdif is bound to be better than that. Your licence will transfer if you want to drive here, its not as scary as it looks at first. Find a friend and invest in an entertainer book (big 2 for one book) everyone uses them, handy for dinners and the water parks etc... Dubai can be lonely so make sure to join a club or something to get to know some people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭FURET

I live down the road from Mirdif in Silicon Oasis. Mirdif is a lovely clean place, and Mirdif City Center is the focal point - it's not actually a city center, but rather a huge but very nice mall with loads of great restaurants, a cinema, clothes shops, and a great gym. I go there several times a week with my wife - usually to the gym, but more often to Gazebo (excellent Indian food), Chili's (very decent American food), La Creparis (for outstanding strawberry nutella crepes), or to The Butcher Grill or Texas Roadhouse if we fancy some steaks (all of which limit the effectiveness of the gym, but we soldier on!).

I also moved to Dubai without knowing anyone - I've met very few Irish people since being here. Wife and I are sticklers for savings, so we don't party - but we do like to head to the beach fairly often.

If you need any help or tips when moving to Mirdif or Dubai in general, feel free to send a PM. I'll be happy to help as I remember how daunting a solo move to Dubai seemed to me a couple of years back!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,746 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

The Dubai ex-pats guide is quite useful... http://www.livingindubai.org/moving-to-dubai/

For recruitment agencies - the job portals are usually a good place to start, eg... http://finance.monstergulf.com/finance-jobs-dubai.html

The above info is easily available with a quick Google search, so you may have this already. If there is more detailed/specific info that you need - let us know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

Hill Billy,

Can we get a sticky thread on Dubai? Most of the same questions keep cropping up time and again...

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭wuffly

Michealpage, roberthalf, charterhouse etc... I've mentioned applying to the banks in DIFC to you on another thread.

Re living here as a couple its not that strict, general cop on and you wont have a problem, no overt pda a peck on the cheek etc.. is fine. The older/more local areas will be stricter, you probably wont end up living in those areas and if you are visiting there you just need to be conscious. Dubai is a very social place plenty of bars and friday brunches, you'd be surprised at the amount of drinking you will see. Dubai is a bit more established in terms of expats so you wont get stared at generally as long as you dress reasonably, nothing too short or low, but in the last few years you see plenty of it even during Ramadan.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 QueenBey

I am contemplating moving abroad and have looked into Dubai, im not totally convinced I would be comfortable in a muslim country. Is it really all its cracked up to be, I see people I know moved over but all I see in their photos are luxurious photos of big cocktails and tall buildings, surely it cant be all so perfect?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Never understood the desire for trying to live like a westerner in a country that does not tolerate our western ways...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,746 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Threads merged. Please do not start another thread on this topic.

tHB

It is a great place to spend a few years with lots of freedoms. There are just a few things you shouldn't do, but these are things one probably wouldn't be inclined to do anyway.

If you're level headed and good with money, the average western professional should be able to save upwards of 50k euro per year (after the first year) living there.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Can you live in the same apartment as a boyfriend or girlfriend....what would happen if you got pregnant outside of marriage?

Advertisement