Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Becoming a Real Runner

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭ Davis Big Limo

Forrest Gump does not have a patch on you:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Not sure If I should take that as a compliment or not :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

One day I just went for a run....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

"they just couldn't believe that someone could do all that running for no particular reason"

ha ha ha, reminds me of all the times peeps ask you 'what charity are you doing that run for?'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Forest gave up running in the end and took up table tenis ;)

• Advertisement

mrslow wrote: »

One day I just went for a run....

Nice pair of nikes there. Look like the precursor to the lunar racer :D

shels4ever wrote: »
    Forest gave up running in the end and took up table tenis ;)

I think meno should stay away from sports tables of all sorts, last time he broke his toe if I remember correctly

I think meno should stay away from sports tables of all sorts, last time he broke his toe if I remember correctly

That's right, my biggest injury since I started running is when a Table tennis table collapsed and landed on my big toe. That kept me out for 3 weeks.

Now I just stick to the tables (in my log).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

menoscemo wrote: »

Speaking of runners, I went back to Base2Race with the Brooks and they swapped them for New Balance 1080's, I'm optimistic about these.

7.3 @9 min/mile. Recovery run back into work this morning. I seem to be able to guage my fitness and freshness by the speed of this run, as I normally don't look at the watch and just go with what feels very easy. While I was not as fast as a few weeks ago, just before Barcelona I was faster than the week after when I felt pretty wrecked in general. That seems about right.

WTD 4 days running 31.3 miles

Month|No. of days Runnning|Miles
    January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|18/24|181.5
    Total|70/83|675.7

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

In Forrest's case I think they were Lunartic Glides........:eek:

mrslow wrote: »
    Speaking of runners, I went back to Base2Race with the Brooks and they swapped them for New Balance 1080's, I'm optimistic about these.

Fair play to them....They seem like a decent bunch....I spoke to them the other day and they gave me loads of free advice...So much so that one day I might do an Iron Man!!!;)

7 Miles @ 8:15 pace. Just a final leg stretcher before Mallow on sunday. Legs a bit tired from the 5 days straight running, will rest up now until the race. With Warm up/ cool down in Mallow I should easily make my 50 mile target for the week. Next week will be about 40 in total.

WTD 5 days running 38.3 miles

January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|19/25|188.5
    Total|71/84|682.7[/QUOTE]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

What time does our choo choo train pull out on Sunday Mr Organisatron?

I hope you all know what you're letting yourselves in for spending a pronlonged period of time in an enclosed space with me at this point in time. I have a new pain somewhere on my left limb by the way...

claralara wrote: »
    What time does our choo choo train pull out on Sunday Mr Organisatron?

Sorry. I must have sent that PM to the Other Clara Lara again :eek:. PM. resent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Sorry. I must have sent that PM to the Other Clara Lara again :eek:. PM. resent.
    Well done on the pb mate. Rested you could take another few mins of that.

I had tapered for this by not running too much. I was a happy man because Biranderunner agreed to pace me. He wanted to run 6:50 even spilt for 88:xx. Basically i was not too worried but I stayed with brian for 3 miles then did my own thing. I died at the end but I kept going somehow, just kept running. I was faster than the waterford half but dead on the second 5 miles. what can I do? All my distances shorter than HM are remarkably close on mcmillan now. can't wait for some speedwork.
    1 06:48
    2 06:52
    3 06:44
    4 06:52
    5 06:53
    6 06:56
    7 07:00
    8 06:55
    9 06:56
    10 06:54
    11 00:14

10.03 miles @ 6:53 (69.07 by the garmin, 69:10 offical time- no starting mat)

Total for the day 12.2 miles (1.5 miles running to the Luas and 0.7 mile warm up)

Weekly total 6 days running 50.5 miles

January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|20/27|200.7
    Total|72/86|694.9

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Well done on the running and hitting the Sub70. A proper recovery for the next couple of weeks will have you flying along for Connemara. no bother. Better tell Eddie you only accept cash!

Nice one divil.

Did someone bet against you for conn? Dear oh dear ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

I would be worried for you after yesterday tbh, even though its a pb, the shortness of your race report says it all imo. You seemed to have hit the dreaded plateau, brought on perhaps from post Barcelona fatigue. If i were you i wouldnt do another race after Conn until the Donore 5k and have an easy month and build back up again in May. Pot calling kettle black i know.

• Advertisement

I would be worried for you after yesterday tbh, even though its a pb, the shortness of your race report says it all imo.

The race report is very short because I attempted to write in when i was totally locked :pac: I've already had to go back into it to clean up some spelling mistakes, I also had even forgotten to put in my finishing time :rolleyes:.

I think you're right abou the dreaded plateau though. If speedwork after Conn doesn't help, I might even have to consider cleaning up the diet a bit :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Well done, great running (as usual!) :)

The race report is very short because I attempted to write in when i was totally locked :pac:

At least you got the report up last night...I was wrecked this morning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 576 ✭✭✭sarsfieldsrock

Well done on another PB. Those are fast times. I didn't think that you would be making that improvement when we made the bet.
    You should be well able for the 6:00 in Conn now.
    Don't try to go faster though as it is one that you could have problems on in the second half if you go out too fast.
    Anyway I will be hoping for a PB myself but that is anything better than a 6:43 for me and it probably isn't on given my training up to now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Well done (again! - I'm running out of different ways to congratulate you:)). I suspect the plateau is probably a natural levelling off for a period before the next step forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

Nice run & was glad to have bumped into all of ye afterwards. I take it you managed to find an open off-license for the train journey back to Dublin :)

opus wrote: »
    Nice run & was glad to have bumped into all of ye afterwards. I take it you managed to find an open off-license for the train journey back to Dublin :)

Cheers boss. Yesterdays hangover is proof enough that we did indeed ;)

Despite said hangover and achy legs I was mad keen to get out for a run yesterday evening to boost my mileage for a rather lacklustre March. I then realised that I'm supposed to be taperng and really only plan 40 miles for theis week, so it's only gonna need 5 runs....I left it until tonight:

5.3 miles @ just under 9 min/mile pace. Still some DOMS but the legs felt nice and loose when I got moving. Quite a relaxing and enjoyable run.

WTD 1 Run 5.3 miles

January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|21/29|206
    Total|73/88|700.2

Cleared the 700 mark for the year :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Cleared the 700 mark for the year :D

Sicko!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I can't believe you've run nearly 300 miles more than me, putting me to shame this year swine flu or no swine flu.

Saying that I can't believe I've run over 400, how did that happen? :eek:

• Advertisement

8.6 miles @8:30 pace.
    Nice and handy. Some muscles in the legs still a bit achy but don't seem to be affecting running.
    I was looking at some 5k-10k programmes in work today. Most are 8 weeks, but I have only 7 weeks after conn ultra before the Donore 5k (May 29th). I think I'll take a weeks rest and do the last 6 weeks of the advanced HH 5k programme- it looks good as it has 3 fast days running a week (1 interval and 2 tempos). That should set me up nicely for a 16 week programme for Berlin (Most likely P&D 55-70 mpw). I'll have to adjust the HH programme a bit as I have to do 2 4Hr marathon pacing gigs (Limerick and Cork), So I'll probabaly just lengthen the weekend LSR's to keep up stamina. I'll probably also run the Sportsworld 5 mile classic after week 4 of my modified 6 week plan (HH has a dummy race half way through his program so this fits well.)

WTD 2 Run 13.9 miles

January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|22/30|214.6
    Total|74/89|708.8

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement