Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Broadcasting Moratorium tomorrow

• 10-06-2008 11:49pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭

On the news they just said there will be a 24 hour broadcast moratorium tomorrow to help people make up their minds for thursday.

Am I right in saying that they are not going to mention the lisbon treaty or any part of the debate tomorrow?

It seems strange to me as there hasn't really been any programmes or debates of substance on the treaty, I would have thought that we would get them this week, but there hasn't been any that I've seen, and now it looks like there won't be any tomorrow.

Can anyone shed any light?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well RTE and TV3 would beg to differ no doubt. The morri is of course long standing tradition and frankly I'm glad, it gives peeps 24 hours to mull it over and then clear the brain.

Is boards.ie playing along though?

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭johnnyq

mike65 wrote: »
    Is boards.ie playing along though?

Mike.

Restrict Free Speech on Boards.....never:D

Personally i'm delighted with the moratorium I was getting really sick that every time i turned on the radio the L word was being discussed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

On the news they just said there will be a 24 hour broadcast moratorium tomorrow to help people make up their minds for thursday.

Am I right in saying that they are not going to mention the lisbon treaty or any part of the debate tomorrow?

It seems strange to me as there hasn't really been any programmes or debates of substance on the treaty, I would have thought that we would get them this week, but there hasn't been any that I've seen, and now it looks like there won't be any tomorrow.

Can anyone shed any light?

Multiple radio and television programmes on the Treaty on state and commercial channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Tonights Prime Time special was the best i've seen you can find it here.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/primetime/index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭johnnyq

And don't forget the Questions and Answers Debate where members of the public got to ask questions. (A debate which the No side won)

http://www.rte.ie/news/qanda/index.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

johnnyq wrote: »
    And don't forget the Questions and Answers Debate where members of the public got to ask questions. (A debate which the No side won)

http://www.rte.ie/news/qanda/index.html
    That was an awful debate with lies thrown around like confetti. I was in the audience, and it makes it hard to take a debate seriously when Ganley is denying he ever said something, and the person behind you is shouting out the date he said it and quoting their source.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

sink wrote: »
    Tonights Prime Time special was the best i've seen you can find it here.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/primetime/index.html

Agreed - that was by far the best debate/discussion I've seen on the treaty so far and I've pretty much made my decision in light of it.

Kudos to Prime Time.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

That was an awful debate with lies thrown around like confetti. I was in the audience, and it makes it hard to take a debate seriously when Ganley is denying he ever said something, and the person behind you is shouting out the date he said it and quoting their source.

Ganley lying though his teeth about something? Never...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Lol, I think somehow I'll avoid making my decision based on something RTE (who've shown themselves to be pro-Treaty) created.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Rb wrote: »
    Lol, I think somehow I'll avoid making my decision based on something RTE (who've shown themselves to be pro-Treaty) created.

*makes Rb a nice pretty tinfoil hat to wear on Thursday*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

*Boosts signal on the chip implanted in Rb's tooth*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

nesf wrote: »
    *makes Rb a nice pretty tinfoil hat to wear on Thursday*
    Think I'd wear something created by someone pro-treaty?! :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

RTE have been known to be pro-FF and thus, go with whatever FF do. Wouldnt call it a conspiracy, such is life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 tmulcahy365

I wonder does the moratorium cover the banner ads from Libertas that are on this page right now!! Does anyone have a link to the moratorium conditions?

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

boards.ie asked the ASAI and they said no, it doesn't count.

See here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56211390&postcount=149

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Correct. We are not considered a "broadcast medium".

By the way, if the Yes side had approached us for ads we would have been more then happy to sell them some too :)

In fact they could have done it via Google and never had to interact with us.

I believe that the Lisbon treaty will be looked back upon as on of the milestones when online really got traction in the political process. There has been an ominous silence from political groups when it comes to really using the internet. This time a group with seemingly little to lose in terms of ongoing reputation, jumped in with both feet and reaped some rewards I think. (even though I feel the Yes vote won the arguments here).

Slowly the dam will crumble and we will see more advertising here and places like here. Then the first politician will "out" himself (cos we already watch them review a number of forums here... think we cant spot a Dail ip??).
    Eventually, it wont be just Sink and Scofflaw answering the questions...

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

i don't think libertas used the internet that much at all.

the moratorium is bit pointless when it doesn't cover newspapers.

Advertisement