Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Last Airbender: Legend of Korra [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,016 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Bit curious about other reactions to this (and the only distasteful element of book 3 - which I loved)

But Zaheer came across as being an idealist, fine - but was described as a terrorist and an anarchist. I find it hard to beleive him to be a terrorist (I actually sypathised with his a bit at parts, part of his appeal I suppose) and he most certainly was not an anarchist.

But by far one of the most thought-provoking bad guys I've seen in a long time. I think that's what reall made the series mor than anything.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭red dave

Bit curious about other reactions to this (and the only distasteful element of book 3 - which I loved)

But Zaheer came across as being an idealist, fine - but was described as a terrorist and an anarchist. I find it hard to beleive him to be a terrorist (I actually sypathised with his a bit at parts, part of his appeal I suppose) and he most certainly was not an anarchist.

But by far one of the most thought-provoking bad guys I've seen in a long time. I think that's what reall made the series mor than anything.

Totally agree. He was a fascinating character. I think Henry Rollins really owned that voice also which might of made him sound even more menacing. As soon as the season finished I was thinking to myself "I have to re-watch that season again because it was amazing". I didn't get the same feeling straight away after the other seasons (including TLA in that).

But yeah when you look at the Red Lotus where they want to remove the current corrupt system as they see it (and which it was very flawed) and to restore a balance between spirits and humans to live amongst each other, I wouldn't be surprised if that's how the whole thing finishes. Red Lotus might end up been the correct way to go in the end. Balance between the humans and spirits.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Presumably they considered him anarchist because he wanted there to be no system at all. Didn't he say he wanted civilisation to basically start all over again where each man fends for himself? That idea of lawlessness is the definition of anarchy

As for terrorism, he was murdering world leaders to achieve this goal. Rightly or wrongly, that is a terrorist act.

I'm not saying he's a bad character necessarily, in fact I find him fascinating, but he is definitely both anarchist and terrorist. Those aren't just bad words, they do describe particular things

• Registered Users Posts: 33,016 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Presumably they considered him anarchist because he wanted there to be no system at all. Didn't he say he wanted civilisation to basically start all over again where each man fends for himself? That idea of lawlessness is the definition of anarchy

As for terrorism, he was murdering world leaders to achieve this goal. Rightly or wrongly, that is a terrorist act.

I'm not saying he's a bad character necessarily, in fact I find him fascinating, but he is definitely both anarchist and terrorist. Those aren't just bad words, they do describe particular things

Anarchists don't believe in systemless society and violence - anarchists believe more in a lateral system of organisation rather than no organisation. The Occupy movements for example.

The terrorism one is more debatable, I think, but terrorists tend to want control rather than freedom.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

It's a testament to the quality of this show when you can have a discussion like this. I thought I'd stumbled into the politics forum by accident.

• Advertisement

7 days left to the new season :D

Nick just released a trailer for it. It shows quite a bit of stuff from the coming season so if you don't like spoilers I wouldn't recommend watching it.

It looks like it's going to be an exciting final season.

red dave wrote: »

Actually I think that's probably the biggest understatement I've ever made in the tv forum. :o

It looks absolutely epic and the music in the trailer makes for equally epic excitement for the coming season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Unbelievable trailer! Was happy enough with all of the spoilers until the very last sentence...
    The time jump is genius. Can't wait to see where all the characters are after 3 years.

A Neurotic wrote: »
    Unbelievable trailer! Was happy enough with all of the spoilers until the very last sentence...
    The time jump is genius. Can't wait to see where all the characters are after 3 years.

Haha yeah I couldn't believe my ears when I heard that also. Agree completely it's very clever.

The opening two minutes of Book 4 just released on IGN

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

red dave wrote: »
    7 days left to the new season :D

Nick just released a trailer for it. It shows quite a bit of stuff from the coming season so if you don't like spoilers I wouldn't recommend watching it.

That trailer can't have just been 2 minutes long!!!

Exciting stuff:
    Looks like there's a lot of time devoted to the fallout from the death of the Earth Queen. Kuvira at the head of a Metal nation perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Only realized Book 4 was en route last Tuesday, when I was just casually looking up stuff about Book 2 and the IGN article popped up. Follow Nickelodeon's official Korra pages across the web and there wasn't a jot about it.

Good stuff,
    So the earth kingdom looks like might be in for a big stand off down the line (excuse the pun). Was interesting not seeing korra until the very end. I guess there were quite a few foundations to cover before getting to that.

It's out there people!! Time to get watching!

Definitely has an air of finality to it. PTSD Korra trying to iron out how utterly vulnerable she was at the hands of Red Lotus will be interesting. They're wasting no time getting into it, anyway. Kuvira's Metalbenders going all Fire Nation sets up a nifty, if a little plain, villain.

Uhmygod, uhmygod, uhmygod, uhmygod

"Hello, Twinkletoes"

That was delicious, slightly melancholy and a dash hopeful. It's like the switch to completely online has made DiMartino and Konietzko go 'right, f**kers, behold this one'.

Also, commendations on how disciplined they were with holding back the Legend of Aang cast. Especially considering the question of series' fate, it would've been too easy to devolve proceedings into a 'hey, it's that guy...and it's guy' kinda deal, but they've stuck through and made sure Aang's verse only cropped up when it served the present/future cast best.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

That was some episode! Brilliant character development great journey across the episode can't wait to find out more

Stunning stuff.

Felt bit of a dumbo; somebody pointed out the 'Zuko Alone' reference in the title. Korra's business pretty much mirrors Zuko's in terms of personal desire vs duty. I'm really fascinated as to where they go with the idea of The Avatar. Korra's differed from Last Airbender because the big bads have attacked the point of the role rather than in Aang's case where it was more character-driven, and with Korra merging the Spirit/Human realms, task no. 1 on The Avatar job description became somewhat redundant.

It could really go either way. It could see Korra redefining the role in a new world that still needs it, or the final victory of The Avatar could see Korra leaving a world that does not need the role at all.

It was brilliant see goofy Aang airbending seaweed wraps.

Why spoiler tags, guys?

Should be open discussion here. The only thing you're spoiling is our reading experience. :)

• Advertisement

Just clocked 'Spoilers' in the thread title.

Sorry 'bout that, monster of habit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Perfect episode. I really wish Toph's appearance hadn't been spoiled in the trailer.

This is now my favourite show.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,794 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

A Neurotic wrote: »
    Perfect episode. I really wish Toph's appearance hadn't been spoiled in the trailer.

This is now my favourite show.

And that is why I don't watch trailers. :)
    Guess that means she's like Iroh? Or maybe not since she's about the age she would be.

Great episode overall. Wonder what Toph will do to get Korra back in fighting form, being that she was always so gentle with Aang. :pac:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Toph could be precisely the person to help her - tough love could do a lot to help someone with Korra's temperament where the softly softly approach only caused frustration...

I'm dying to see where this final season takes us!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

For ye Korra fans with a games console, the Legend of Korra game is being released next week.
    From what I hear it's downloadable only and should not cost more than €20.
    The game takes place between season 2 & 3 and has been scripted by a regular writer for the tv show.

I can't wait to play it and it's good to invest in all things Avatar. (I still need to get an Appa plush toy!)

Platinum_Games_The_Legend_of_Korra_alpha_screenshot_06-25-14.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Legend_of_Korra_(video_game)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

For ye Korra fans with a games console, the Legend of Korra game is being released next week.

It will be released on PC too, via Steam.

Eh, it was a set-up episode this week, which is needed if it's to all wrap-up handy, but doesn't make for the best stand-alones. It gives Korra's recovery another dimension and it was great knowing Toph has only gotten more trollsome in the time since last we saw her.

It is also worth noting that Korra has made its way back to telly in the US. Granted, it's only Nicktoons, but they're bombing through where Nick dropped Book 3 and I'm hoping they catch up so the finale can broadcast with a bit of hype, might actually give the show its deserved send-off.

Nice twist this week with Korra ending up removing the remaining metal herself. The friction between the Airbender kids is getting a little old though.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Toph's summation of various episodes were hilarious!

• Advertisement

Chimaera wrote: »
    Nice twist this week with Korra ending up removing the remaining metal herself. The friction between the Airbender kids is getting a little old though.

I did like it as a callback to the start of Legend of Aang, riffing on that dynamic, but I can see why it'd grate. The tone of The Last Airbender (that title doesn't even apply anymore, I guess) has shifted darker and darker since the first series of Aang, so these lighter callbacks can seem a little jarring as we go on. It's pretty much been a delicate mix of all elements thereafter, never really going too far in one direction.

Had a slight issue with the abrupt ending, but nyeh, it got where it needed to and anything too wrought and drawn-out would be a disservice to the Toph/Korra dynamic. Aye, tough-love, but love nonetheless.

We're a third-ish into the last book, so I'm expecting something to the effect of "Sozin's Comet" to creep in mid-season and raise the stakes double.

Actually, a slight aside, I'm rewatching Avatar: The Last Airbender with the Mrs, it being her first time, and it's quite cool to experience how much Korra has enriched its predecessor; hell of feat, really. Seeing the Aang/Katara thing develop can be a bit joyous and a little sad. There was some speculation on Imgur as to Aang's last words to Katara being "No, really, thanks for going penguin-sledding with me" and I nearly dropped.

Advertisement