Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Things to do when in Wexford - with and without Ca$h!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

feargale wrote: »
    Some years ago there was an annual Liars Competition somewhere in Wexford. Does anybody know anything about it? Does it still happen?

I know loads about it*

*I'm the founding member

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

vicwatson wrote: »
    I know loads about it*

*I'm the founding member

There's a large gap on my screen between the two sentences of your post. If this relates to a picture or something it's not showing. Could you let me have some more information please?
    Thanks.

Apologies, I was trying to be funny by telling a lie:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭bigron2109

Was down in Ballycross apple farm today.Lovely spot. Its very reasonable. 3.50 for a adult, or 12 for 2 adults and 4 Kids. Loads of things to do for Kids and adults and loads of animals too. Would highly recommend it, as its a cheap enough day out. You could even bring a picnic if you did not want to purchase anything from their Cafe.

Meh, ain't going there anymore since they started charging in the gates. Ah there was a time when you'd get a large bag of apples for 4 yo's (the horses would get fed on them too) and you'd get to see the animals free.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 mummyc

Gorey has so much to do for families,
    Kia Ora Mini Farm
    Adventure Alley, Gorey
    Pirates Cove
    Kidzone
    Gravity Extreme Adventure
    Wexford Lavender Farm
    Walks in Courtown woods and Courtown Beach
    Courtown Amusements,
    Flanaghan's Wharf

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mummyc

DubiousV wrote: »
    Took the family to Wells House yesterday and honestly can't recommend it enough. Lovely walks, craft shops, huge play area for kids, archery, picnic area and all for the six euro per car entry. Staff were lovely as well, will be returning to this one.
    Its now €8 per car

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭john47

Something to do that's free. Try your hand at a game of Scrabble. The club meets every Tuesday at 8pm in the Gaelic Bar on Distillery Road (go past Tesco's and its just after Domino's). All Welcome. Phone John for more info 086 3953846

john47 wrote: »
    Something to do that's free. Try your hand at a game of Scrabble. The club meets every Tuesday at 8pm in the Gaelic Bar on Distillery Road (go past Tesco's and its just after Domino's). All Welcome. Phone John for more info 086 3953846

Great idea

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jennifer.cox24

Highly Recommend Secret Valley Wildlife Park in Clonroche, Fully licenced zoo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Heritage Tours Wexford - what can I say! The indefatigable Cathy Keane invited my youngest and myself for a freebie tour of Historic Ferns yesterday afternoon. I have to say that I was of two minds - it clashed with the Munster v Ulster rugby match and I didn't think that Ferns Castle in particular would be worth the visit. I couldn't have been more wrong.

Cathy is a relative blow-in to County Wexford and a self-taught tour guide, but she is the real deal and we had the benefit of the full tour commentary.

First stop the ruins of Ferns Castle now managed by the OPW and although only a remnant of what was once stood here, it is quite dramatic up close and personal. The Castle was reputedly built by William Marshall (son of the 1st Earl of Pembroke) in the early 13th century and was eventually destroyed by Cromwellian forces in 1649.

Ferns%2BCastle.jpg

Just down the road through Ferns Village is the Church of Ireland Cathedral and early Monastic site - more history than you could shake a stick at - and the adjoining graveyard contains the remains of Dermot MacMurrough, King of Leinster, who invited the Normans to Ireland in 1169.

Ferns%2BCathedral%2BFINAL.jpg

D%2BMacMurroughs%2BGrave.jpg

In another part of the graveyard is the resting place of Father Murphy, the rebel priest of 1798 fame, but as he was hung drawn and quartered in Tullow only his head is said to have been buried in Ferns.

Down the road from Cathedral is St.Mogue's Well - credited with restorative properties - including hair loss - but the water was too murky for my liking. Still judging by the rosary beads and photographs, it's still attracting the faithful.

St.Mogues%2B2.jpg

The original well with a small stone roof and cross can be seen from the road but is now locked off - who knows why?

Back on the bus and on to Enniscorthy via the Harrow - just outside of which is the spot where the first serious incident of the 1798 rebellion took place on the 26th May. At a place now known as Bookey's Stream a party of the Camolin Cavalry were attacked by locals angered by the burning of nearby farmsteads. The aforementioned Lieutenant Bookey and another soldier were killed and the rebellion was underway....

Bookeys%2BStream.jpg

Just a tiny snippet from one of six guided tours run by Cathy and well worth a day-out for locals and tourists alike.

Check-out Cathy's site here for more information: http://www.bualadhbuscabs.com/page5.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Glenomra

I am going to wexford for a few days when lockdown ends. I love books especially our of print etc. Someone told me that there's an interesting book stand on some wexford but I can't find any mention of it online. Does anyone know if there's such a place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭RachelsCousin

Glenomra wrote: »
    I am going to wexford for a few days when lockdown ends. I love books especially our of print etc. Someone told me that there's an interesting book stand on some wexford but I can't find any mention of it online. Does anyone know if there's such a place.

If you're interested in books, Red Books on St Peters Square is a place to spend hours. You need time and patience, but a great place for book lovers. Wally is the owner, and somehow seems to know where everything is! He has over 50,000 books in stock.
    You'll find them on Facebook.

Thanks Rachel. I appreciate your reply. I intend going to Red Books as I've heard a lot of positive things about both the shop and the owner.
    I am still intrigued whether the other market place exists or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭RachelsCousin

There is a small market just off the Bullring in Wexford, and there are a few book stands in there. Interesting, but not a huge quantity.

There's another 2nd hand bookshop, Readers Paradise, in Selskar.

I can't think of any others.

There is a small market just off the Bullring in Wexford, and there are a few book stands in there. Interesting, but not a huge quantity.

There's another 2nd hand bookshop, Readers Paradise, in Selskar.

I can't think of any others.
    Thanks you have been very helpful. I hope Davy leads ye to the Promised Land!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Visit Enniscorthy home of the Brooklyn movie, admire the standard of maintenance at the 'Brooklyn Bench', site of the very shortlived bee hotels (hacked down by the village idiots), and note the council's ongoing efforts to eradicate botanical diversity.

Brooklyn%2BViewing%2BPoint.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭CRI0ST0IR

Never even knew this was located here.

Also there is load's of great walks with amazing views throughout County Wexford which are free to enter such as Curracloe, The Rocks in Wexford town, The trespan rocks walking trail, JFK (Was free when i visited) and Kilmore Quay and the list goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭jordata

If you are interested in walking routes look at the maps https://wexfordwalkingtrail.ie/trails-maps/

Gives into on the length and grade for each way-marked route. It's a great resource.

Advertisement