Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Need Help musically

Options
  • 01-05-2014 1:32pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1

Hey guys My name is tobi kaye. I play drums bass guitar keys and i sing as well. I've been playing music for a long while but only recently started taking it seriously. I've setup a youtube channel and a facebook page and i'm a bit stuck on how to improve. I need suggestion comments and just all round input so i can improve as a musician. Please if you have the time have a look

<snip>

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Tobi Kaye wrote: »
    Hey guys My name is tobi kaye. I play drums bass guitar keys and i sing as well. I've been playing music for a long while but only recently started taking it seriously. I've setup a youtube channel and a facebook page and i'm a bit stuck on how to improve. I need suggestion comments and just all round input so i can improve as a musician. Please if you have the time have a look

FaceBook and youtube :- Tobi Kaye

Twitter @supersaiyantobi

Disclaimer: the following is only my opinion, and the best advice I can give you. I'm not having a go...

- You say you want to improve "as a musician"
    - You play "drums bass guitar keys and [...] sing"

This seems quite unfocused if you don't mind me saying. Are you really playing all these instruments as well as you can? Pick one instrument, and work on it. Work long. Work hard. Take lessons if you can. Really. Of course you can play the other instruments for fun, but don't get distracted. In a year, or two, or three, you may decide you are happy and can move on to the next instrument. I had to stop messing on the piano when I started playing the bass, because I knew that I would not be able to do both seriously.

You have a youtube channel etc. Make sure you know what your objective is ? How are these really benefiting you as a musician? Or are they just distracting you when you should be practicing?

I hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

Learn and understand Scales & Modes thet should keep you busy for a while and will improve you musically on all instruments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭Rigsby

I would agree with Oink in that for now it would be better to focus on just one instrument. The only thing that I would add is to get a good teacher. To become an accomplished player on any given instrument takes a lot of time and focused practice.

Often when learning on our own we reach an impasse, which seems to be the case here. A teacher can help to "kick start" the learning process by putting you back on track and keeping you motivated. They can also show you if/when you go off course and can correct accordingly, something a book or the internet can not do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 disraeliears

Hi Tobi,

I've just watched your video of Isn't She Lovely on youtube and I want to say I really enjoyed it. You have a voice I enjoyed listening to and nice guitar chords there too.

I disagree with the opinion that you should focus on one instrument at a time if that is what you enjoy doing. Remember that what you learn on one instrument can add to your overall musical knowledge. For example, what you learn playing jazzy chords on guitar will probably make your bassplaying more melodic. If you learn an interesting beat on the drums, that could give you a new perspective to help your rhythm playing on another instrument and so on. It's all music! And if you enjoy spending time on each, don't give that up!

I like your attitude and I wish you success.

I would also like to add that I hope posters on this thread can understand that not everyone is in a position to hire a music teacher. Better self-taught than nothing at all!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

I would also like to add that I hope posters on this thread can understand that not everyone is in a position to hire a music teacher. Better self-taught than nothing at all!

Absolutely. I have a friend who can play 7-8 instruments very, very proficiently, "just" because he practices 2 hours every night (hasn't had a lesson in a long time). I call that cheating :).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭Rigsby

As it was I who suggested a teacher, I'd like to say that I fully understand, and I also agree with the above.

I obviously assumed that the OP could afford one. If he could, he would learn faster and make more progress than going it alone. The fact that the OP needs advice on how to progress, suggests he is not faring so well on his own and that's why a teacher was suggested. :)

Advertisement