Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Easiest way to move a car with the handbrake on?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

why dont you just message him on facebook and saying if its not removed by such a date you will remove it for him?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

I take it we're not going to see any photos of the inconsiderate parking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

http://pix.ie/khamilto/albums
    Hopefully you can see
    A)How little space I had to work with to eventually get my car in without blocking my neighbours
    B)How far his arse is sticking out needlessly

• Registered Users Posts: 64,762 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Tragedy wrote: »
    I'm waiting for the Directors of the Management Company to either give or refuse me permission to install them. At least if they refuse it, after I state my case and the consistent and recurring issues I've been having, I (hopefully) have a better legal leg to stand on for placing a parking barrier without their permission.

At last some sense / reason in this thread. You paid for your parking space. You pay the management company to ensure you can use it. If you can prove that you can't use it, the management company is in breach of your contract with them. Email / write to them and keep all documentation. No luck in a few months then take it to the small claims court. If you can't park anywhere legally in the mean time, pay for your parking and keep all your receipts. They will be refunded :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

As things stand, would he be able to wriggle out past that pole even with your car up against his bumper?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Right, I removed this guys Facebook account and name from this thread. It's hardly fair letting this kind of information loose on the net for some poor parking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

boo-urns boo-urns :P

Hopefully you can see
    A)How little space I had to work with to eventually get my car in without blocking my neighbours

Can folks get into and out of the parking space to the left of the shot from the other side?

43C6A3D973FB409E9CAFB7E4E0C894CE-0000353442-0002768014-00500L-7EB73515650940879B4143DA13EE099A.gif

Yeah, it's a weird spot that you're technically meant to parallel park in. The lady who uses the spot just drives in diagonally and leaves the arse of her 206 hanging out a bit (fair enough!).

Went to parents to get trolley jack, came back and car was gone. I r disappoint.
    @Alan fair enough, figured naming and shaming was ok but linking to his facebook might have been a bit ott!

Hopefully you can see
    Can see both alright - and fair play on squeezing in. I'm guessing about a 63 point turn?

My only concern now, would be what could happen to your own car now if its going to be left there for a number of weeks? Say the owner of the Merc comes back, contacts whoever (Gardai, Management company) to report that this Rover has been abandoned blocking him in, can point to the fact that he's (mostly) within a parking space where the Rover is clearly not ... I'd just be worried what'll happen your car. Is there any way of ensuring that your own car isn't removed/clamped for causing a deliberate obstruction?

• Advertisement

Went to parents to get trolley jack, came back and car was gone. I r disappoint.
    @Alan fair enough, figured naming and shaming was ok but linking to his facebook might have been a bit ott!
    Oh well - thats my post above now rendered completly irrelevant :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Maybe it's just the pics but I think I've seen your car around before - kinda green flip paint? Not too many Rovers in that colour I've seen! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I wonder did someone warn him via FB.

Anan1 wrote: »

I would guess so!

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Maybe it's just the pics but I think I've seen your car around before - kinda green flip paint? Not too many Rovers in that colour I've seen! :eek:

If you're around Sandyford then probably! Living in the apartments at the end of Brewery Road, have you spotted the black Holden that's always around here too?

If you're around Sandyford then probably! Living in the apartments at the end of Brewery Road, have you spotted the black Holden that's always around here too?

Yeah, I'm up Ticknock direction - think I saw you down near Knocklyon a few weeks back.

I travel Ticknock to Dun Laoghaire most mornings and have spotted a matt black 4 door Monaro up around Sandyford Cross a few times. Also often see a black 4th Gen Camaro some mornings heading towards Sandyford coming from Foxrock direction on the N11. There's an 8er that I usually see on my way home, a few regular classics too to include a 280Z and a little 'ole fella in a 7er that gives me a wave or thumbs up every morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 64,762 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Very likely he was warned off. The power of boards :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,595 ✭✭✭creedp

listermint wrote: »
    Thats rubbish and you know it. The OP says he paid 10K for the spot. Thats all we know. For all we know there may very well be gates on the carpark, they may not work. that should be the job of the residents commitee to repair.

Again WE DONT KNOW the ins and outs.

Once again whos 'fighting the power' there are plenty of cases on here of ruthless clampers clamping visitors cars/cars that have all the documentation and various other legitimate cars parking in their own spots.

Then come out to go to work only for sum jumped up clamper to take away my rights of going to work? Are you going to compensate that person for missing the start of work?

Fact is clampers are notorious about their work and they do more harm than good here. You cant honestly say that is not true.

And meanwhile there you are flicking your curtains from behind the window looking out at your neighbours where rules and regulations just kill any sense of neighbourhood. Its true what they say people arent nice anymore. That was killed off during the boomy times.

Clamping can be effective if managed properly. In the apartment block I lived in clamping was implemented but clampers would only be brought in when the management was satisfied that the car was illegally parking and had not moved on after messages were placed on the car warning it would be clamped. I know not every management company is that hands on and I agree allowing clampers to clamp cars on a the basis of an individual complaint is a recipe for war in an apartment complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,184 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Yeah, it's a weird spot that you're technically meant to parallel park in. The lady who uses the spot just drives in diagonally and leaves the arse of her 206 hanging out a bit (fair enough!).

Did you leave him a note or is he completely unaware of his impact on you and this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

At least you've made a friend out of this thread.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

Are there any signs or indications that the space is reserved?
    Not condoning what yer man did, but if theres no indication YOUR space is reserved, then I could understand why yer man parked there...

Are all spaces in this car park reserved?
    Is it a secure car park?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

marketty wrote: »
    I wouldn't toRch it if I were you. Find some way to block him in but if you touch/move the car you could be causing a lot of bother for yourself

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Yeah, I'm up Ticknock direction - think I saw you down near Knocklyon a few weeks back.

I travel Ticknock to Dun Laoghaire most mornings and have spotted a matt black 4 door Monaro up around Sandyford Cross a few times. Also often see a black 4th Gen Camaro some mornings heading towards Sandyford coming from Foxrock direction on the N11. There's an 8er that I usually see on my way home, a few regular classics too to include a 280Z and a little 'ole fella in a 7er that gives me a wave or thumbs up every morning!

That kind of bonhomie is one of the great pleasures of driving your (one means "one's", of course) type of car. Every driver to his own. You'll always be floating someone's boat with what you're driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,613 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You think this may be the OP's own fault for not gating the car park to physically protect the space that they own? This just gets weirder and weirder.

Your getting weirder and weirder if you can read what i wrote. Were did i blame the OP for getting a gate repaired ?? I didnt thats why.

I said its up to the residents commitee to repair the gate.

Also it seems that people are abusing the system (or not) in relation to access to the carpark. So it would appear that system needs to be examined maybe theyve issued too many gate passes. A review of that should be held.

Clamping cars is not the answer. We are never going to agree, sure your the biggest advocate for this practice on these boards so debating the ins and outs is a never ending process. I think we will just agree that we both have our views and leave it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,263 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Are there any signs or indications that the space is reserved?
    Not condoning what yer man did, but if theres no indication YOUR space is reserved, then I could understand why yer man parked there...

Are all spaces in this car park reserved?
    Is it a secure car park?

Is there any sign on your driveway to indicate that the driveway is reserved and not free for your neighbours to use to park up their cars for a week at a time? This Kerryman didn't need to know who's space it was, to know it wasn't his. Anybody living in a building with an underground car park will know what's what. In general, anybody visiting shouldn't be there. The 'oh, nobody told me' routine just doesn't cut it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Biscuit tin lids tomorrow it is! Hoping to wedge it into the corner so I can park beside it. I only use the car at weekends and I'm intending to lay it up for 4 weeks ASAP, so if the offending merc isn't gone by tomorrow or Wednesday it'll be stuck until April.

...unless the Merc owner has some biscuit tin lids handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

alias no.9 wrote: »
    Is there any sign on your driveway to indicate that the driveway is reserved and not free for your neighbours to use to park up their cars for a week at a time? This Kerryman didn't need to know who's space it was, to know it wasn't his. Anybody living in a building with an underground car park will know what's what. In general, anybody visiting shouldn't be there. The 'oh, nobody told me' routine just doesn't cut it.

But some car parks operate policies of reserved spaces, some dont. Some even have a mix of guest + resident spaces... Driveways are different with only one or two spaces. I'd be a little pissed off with the management company if I was paying for a space, and if there was no indication that said space actually belonged to me!

Not condoning the illegal parking, i'd have the car moved/tires deflated long ago:p

But some car parks operate policies of reserved spaces, some dont. Some even have a mix of guest + resident spaces... Driveways are different with only one or two spaces. I'd be a little pissed off with the management company if I was paying for a space, and if there was no indication that said space actually belonged to me!

Not condoning the illegal parking, i'd have the car moved/tires deflated long ago:p

From above

Visitors parking where it exists is usually very clearly marked as such and more often than not is surface parking. The OP stated the space cost €10k making it unlikely that any parking spaces in the underground carpark are unallocated given that at least at one time they commanded such an economic value.
    This is nothing more than a chancer who saw the space empty for a few days and decided to squat on the offchance that the apartment it belonged too was unoccupied. The only solution to this is to build a reputation of zero tolerance to the occupation of other peoples spaces, they are exactly the same as driveways in that they're the parking for a persons home, even if that involves clamping. The balance to this, because there's clearly an underprovision of spaces, should be the tolerance of parking in any dead space in the carpark where it doesn't affect access or transit through the carpark

• Registered Users Posts: 33,613 ✭✭✭✭listermint

From above

Visitors parking where it exists is usually very clearly marked as such and more often than not is surface parking. The OP stated the space cost €10k making it unlikely that any parking spaces in the underground carpark are unallocated given that at least at one time they commanded such an economic value.
    This is nothing more than a chancer who saw the space empty for a few days and decided to squat on the offchance that the apartment it belonged too was unoccupied. The only solution to this is to build a reputation of zero tolerance to the occupation of other peoples spaces, they are exactly the same as driveways in that they're the parking for a persons home, even if that involves clamping. The balance to this, because there's clearly an underprovision of spaces, should be the tolerance of parking in any dead space in the carpark where it doesn't affect access or transit through the carpark

just to clear this up, I lived in an apartment in Cabinteely. All spaces had a number on them. The underground had a gate system. But none of the spaces were 'allocated' despite being numbered.

And there were no signs to indicate either if there was or not allocated spaces.

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    just to clear this up, I lived in an apartment in Cabinteely. All spaces had a number on them. The underground had a gate system. But none of the spaces were 'allocated' despite being numbered.

And there were no signs to indicate either if there was or not allocated spaces.

If they were unallocated, is it fair to say that nobody ever paid €10k for a space making it clearly different to the situation the op described? No doubt, everyone living there understood how things worked too.

Advertisement