Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Saorview channels coming to UPC [Merged - all RTÉ Two HD on UPC queries here]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

icdg wrote: »
    They're not. You appear to be suggesting that UPC should upgrade everyone to a HD STB, free of charge, in order to receive this one channel (whose programming is identical to regular RTÉ Two, only with **some** programming in HD).

That's akin to saying that UPC (or NTL as they then were) should have upgraded everyone to digital when it launched, because they were providing RTÉ One and RTÉ Two in digital quality on the digital platform. They didn't and it won't be the case now.

Remember, its the same service as RTÉ Two, just with some programming in a higher quality picture format. Its not a different channel and viewers won't miss any programmes by not having it. If they want HD from UPC, they'll upgrade to HD and receive it that way. Or they can buy a Saorview STB and install an aerial if its only RTÉ Two HD they're after.

RTE2HD will only be available as a HD option from RTENL in HD come October when analogue switch off happens.

I doubt at that stage RTE will take kindly someone re-encoding their HD carrier in SD format regardless of how many of the items are HD OR upscaled SD.

UPC afterall now have the channel under the must offer rules. UPC must now carry the channel and offer it to their subscribers without any HD subscription required.

It is bad enough that existing UPC customers with HD boxes are being told that they need to subscribe to the HD pack to get RTE2HD. They DONT.

RTE2HD will ONLY be available FREE to AIR on every platform on equipment that can decode HD come October. Botton line: There is no standard definition option. UPC's problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Virgin Media: Jason

Hi Benny Cake

We do not sell boxes, we rent and provide a full maintained service.

To get a HD + box from us you must upgrade to HD, This will normally incur a €45 charge,(self install) however, to avoid that charge you could move your existing box into another room, and make that a multiroom box,(€5 per month) and if you do not want to keep HD permanently, you can downgrade your service at any stage fo a €10 charge.

I hope that helps

Thanks

Jason
    Benny Cake wrote: »
    Jason,

Is it possible to purchase a HD box without availing of a HD subscription?

Benny

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Mearings

[QUOTE=UPC: Jason;77775049
    To get a HD + box from us you must upgrade to HD, This will normally incur a €45 charge,(self install) however, to avoid that charge you could move your existing box into another room, and make that a multiroom box,(€5 per month) and if you do not want to keep HD permanently, you can downgrade your service at any stage fo a €10 charge.
    I hope that helps
    Jason[/QUOTE]

Does " ,(self install) however," mean I can save 45euro by doing installation myself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Virgin Media: Jason

Hi Mearings

No, it is €45 if you self install the HD box on an upgrade, if you would like us to install it for you the charge is €60 in this instance.

Regards

Jason
    Mearings wrote: »
    Does " ,(self install) however," mean I can save 45euro by doing installation myself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭jeckle

Elmo wrote: »
    Anyone else having this problem?
    I was in a house that use a Pace DC221 yesterday & they receive RTE One +1

Have you tried just keying in 107? That box seems to show favourites first when arrowing through the channels & non favourites after.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I've had no problem with RTÉ One+1 on my Pace boxes.

STB wrote: »
    RTE2HD will only be available as a HD option from RTENL in HD come October when analogue switch off happens.

I doubt at that stage RTE will take kindly someone re-encoding their HD carrier in SD format regardless of how many of the items are HD OR upscaled SD.

They'll have to take kindly to it, otherwise, for reason's I've previously explained, both Sky and UPC SD customers with non-HD digiboxes would lose RTÉ Two. RTÉ won't countenance that. Whatever about your unreasonable expectation that UPC swap all their customers boxes for HD ones, Sky would just tell RTÉ where to go and RTÉ wouldn't be able to do a thing about it. And RTÉ isn't going to pull its channels off the Sky EPG.

Believe me, come October, there will still be SD versions of RTÉ Two on Sky and UPC. I'd bet a large sum on it.

icdg wrote: »

Believe me, come October, there will still be SD versions of RTÉ Two on Sky and UPC. I'd bet a large sum on it.

I am not interesting in taking money off you ICDG! :)

Galloping horses would have seen the number of threads entitled "when is RTE2HD coming to UPC (and/or Sky)".

RTE2HD is available without subscription with a Saorview box/IDTV. Obviously Saorview replaces Analogue. RTE2HD will not be carried in SD in parallel as part of the national terrestrial network. HD is the chosen output for the chosen station, RTE2HD under must offer arangement.

I am sure you understand my point. Section 77 of the Broadcasting Act sets out the legislation for the must offer of channels on other platforms other than Saorview.

In this case, RTE2HD is solely a HD encoded via H264/AVC station.

When the must offer was agreed it is then the responsibility of the network provider (UPC in this instance) to pick up all carriage costs. These costs cannot be recovered from the subscriber, the station must offer them as they are provided FTA, in my view.

Specifically.

An appropriate network provider shall re-transmit each national sound broadcasting service provided for the time being by RTÉ and each sound broadcasting contractor and which RTÉ or the contractor concerned requests the holder to so re-transmit.

One does not request a must offer HD service and then re-encode it as SD station under must carry because your customers haven't been provided with the necessary hardware. I presume it is unencrypted via a DVB-C tuner ?

Getting back to the point
    UPC: Jason wrote: »
    Hi Storem 10

In order to get a HD box from UPC you must subscribe to HD, or you could subscribe to multiroom viewing, and the box we send you to install is a HD ready box with a HDMI output. Either option will cost you €5 extra per month.

Thanks

Jason

Forgive me for misinterpreting this any other way, but it seems that in order to receive the RTE2HD on UPC you must pay extra subscription charges.

The HD box cost should at least be separated from HD subscription costs per month.

One does not request a must offer HD service and then re-encode it as SD station under must carry because your customers don't haven't provided with the necessary hardware. I presume it is unencrypted via a DVB-C tuner ?

Nope. Nothing on UPC is. (Or at least that's the official line, but at least one channel has been in the past unencrypted in order to allow installers to check that a signal is being received. In the past that used to be TV3 but I think its the dreaded Info TV channel now).

Anyway bottom line is UPC is a closed, pay-TV network. You get nothing for free. If you cancel your subscription UPC will remotely reauthorize your viewing card and you will lose all your digital channels. They're also within their rights (and have been known to do so) to send a service engineer out to physically cut
    your connection to the cable network so that you can't receive the analogue channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

The channel is showing up but it has a blank screen, full epg listing.

And yes before ye say it, during broadcast hours. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 jjj6894x

quick question -- will those who have a sky hd box be able to get rte?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭liamcu

Liam

Once again, please call our technical support team. It is likely you have an error.

All UPC customers that have a HD box installed will get RTE2 HD free of charge.

Thanks

Jason

Jason,

RTE2 HD reappeared on March 25 shortly after I received an automated text message from UPC telling me that my "service had been activated (?)." No other HD channel was available apart from RTE2 HD.

I assumed it had something to do with resolving the technical issues of customers like me who have a HD box but don't have a HD subscription.

I logged in to My UPC today and someone has added a HD subscription to my account without my consent! I have contacted Customer Care who were unable to tell me why it had been added and once again insisted that a HD subscription is necessary in order to view RTE2 HD. I referred to your posts here on the matter and was told by the person I spoke to that he had never heard of you.

Clearly, incorrect information is being given out by someone. You have previously posted that RTE2 HD is available to subscribers without a HD subscription but who have a HD box. No one else in UPC, including Customer Care, seems to be aware of this.

I now have the additional inconvenience of having to contact Billing to ensure that I am not charged for the HD subscription which was added without my consent.

I doubt I am the only person affected in this way.

Could you outline clearly what steps I need to take, and more importantly, who I need to speak to in order to resolve the matter?

I am at my wits end with this.

Liam

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭michaelduignan

liamcu wrote: »
    Liam

Once again, please call our technical support team. It is likely you have an error.

Thanks

Jason

Jason,

RTE2 HD reappeared on March 25 shortly after I received an automated text message from UPC telling me that my "service had been activated (?)." No other HD channel was available apart from RTE2 HD.

I assumed it had something to do with resolving the technical issues of customers like me who have a HD box but don't have a HD subscription.

I logged in to My UPC today and someone has added a HD subscription to my account without my consent! I have contacted Customer Care who were unable to tell me why it had been added and once again insisted that a HD subscription is necessary in order to view RTE2 HD. I referred to your posts here on the matter and was told by the person I spoke to that he had never heard of you.

Clearly, incorrect information is being given out by someone. You have previously posted that RTE2 HD is available to subscribers without a HD subscription but who have a HD box. No one else in UPC, including Customer Care, seems to be aware of this.

I now have the additional inconvenience of having to contact Billing to ensure that I am not charged for the HD subscription which was added without my consent.

Could you outline clearly what steps I need to take, and more importantly, who I need to speak to in order to resolve the matter?

Liam
    I can also confirm speaking to upc rep a few weeks ago, who tried to get me to take out a HD subscription, and when I quoted Jason, was told he was wrong.

Jason UPC

It is unclear to me how UPC are providing RTE2HD at no extra cost to your subscribers.

Surely existing customers with HD boxes who are not paying for HD subscription are being provided with the RTE2HD station without any further subscriptions involved. This would not seem to be the experience of the previous poster (liamcu). How many people are in the same position as Liam (i.e. charged incorrectly for a must carry channel).

Also is there any chance of a clear and coherent answer as to the various categories people fall into and how they are being dealt with when enquiring about RTE2HD.

Example. For People with SD boxes looking for a RTE2HD, I keep seeing a recommendation asking people to subscribe to multiroom at €5 a month (€60 per year) in order to avoid paying an apparent once cost of €45 for the HD box (which remains the property of UPC) which also seems to come with the proviso that this is an upgrade. Am I right in saying that SD box people who just pay the €45 upfront also have to pay some form of additional sub charge over the year in order to receive RTE2HD or they cant get the HD box ?

The whole idea of the must carry rule is to ensure that Irish PSB channels are platform neutral and friendly. The apparent misinformation being given to UPC customers regarding receiving the new RTE2HD service on UPC is anything but friendly and startling to say the least.

I say this obviously from a consumers point of view.

By the way,there are 2 recent related threads with much the same theme in this thread and this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭liamcu

Liam

Thanks

Jason

Jason,

Liam
    I can also confirm speaking to upc rep a few weeks ago, who tried to get me to take out a HD subscription, and when I quoted Jason, was told he was wrong.

***UPDATE***
    Following phone call to Customer Care a few hours ago. HD subscription has been removed. I still have RTE2 HD while the HD channels available with a HD subscription and the Digital Value tv subscription (BBC HD & BBC1 HD) are no longer available.

Will wait and see if RTE2 HD continues to be available following the removal of the HD subscription added without my consent by UPC.

***UPDATE***
    Following phone call to Customer Care a few hours ago. HD subscription has been removed. I still have RTE2 HD while the HD channels available with a HD subscription and the Digital Value tv subscription (BBC HD & BBC1 HD) are no longer available.

Will wait and see if RTE2 HD continues to be available following the removal of the HD subscription added without my consent by UPC.

Am I right in saying that the digital value+ is the basic package ?

The list of channels on digital value+ also include setanta hd and bbc hd according to this.

http://www.upc.ie/television/digitalvalueplus/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

Am I right in saying that the digital value+ is the basic package ?

The list of channels on digital value+ also include setanta hd and bbc hd according to this.

http://www.upc.ie/television/digitalvalueplus/

Digital Value plus does not carry BBC HD and Setanta HD you need Digital Value HD for this, Digital Value plus is only the Value pack with a recordable box

With regards RTE2HD and the free carry then the way I see it is UPC customers would eitheir need to have a HD subscription @ 5e per month where to would still recieve RTE2 HD if they cancelled there HD sub ( saving the 5e charge but paying a 10e downgrade fee ) but lose BBC and Setanta, or else they would need a HD ready box which they can order for multi room costing 5e per month and some UPC customer seem to already have one of these boxes and picks up RTE2 HD as part of their pack, if customer dont want to do this then they can buy a Saorview box but dont have to pay a subscription fee eitheir way you look at it you have to pay whether that is for a HD subscription via UPC, Multi Room via UPC or a Saorview box....no such thing as a free dinner

campo wrote: »
    Digital Value plus does not carry BBC HD and Setanta HD you need Digital Value HD for this, Digital Value plus is only the Value pack with a recordable box

Perhaps someone in UPC can change the website to say that as the channels listed under digital value+ package include 2 HD channels - BBCHD and Setanta HD.
    With regards RTE2HD and the free carry then the way I see it is UPC customers would eitheir need to have a HD subscription @ 5e per month where to would still recieve RTE2 HD if they cancelled there HD sub ( saving the 5e charge but paying a 10e downgrade fee ) but lose BBC and Setanta, or else they would need a HD ready box which they can order for multi room costing 5e per month and some UPC customer seem to already have one of these boxes and picks up RTE2 HD as part of their pack, if customer dont want to do this then they can buy a Saorview box but dont have to pay a subscription fee eitheir way you look at it you have to pay whether that is for a HD subscription via UPC, Multi Room via UPC or a Saorview box....no such thing as a free dinner

Yes well Campo I wonder if the regulator will see it that way. RTE2HD is offered on the basis of must carry as a free to air station without extra subscription being required by the consumer. In effect a FREE channel.

Telling the subscribers that they should pick up a Saorview box is missing the point. Must Offer and Must Carry = MUST in both cases, most importantly must not result in any additional charges.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2009/en/act/pub/0018/sec0077.html

Perhaps someone in UPC can change the website to say that as the channels listed under digital value+ package include 2 HD channels - BBCHD and Setanta HD.

Yes well Campo I wonder if the regulator will see it that way. RTE2HD is offered on the basis of must carry as a free to air station without extra subscription being required by the consumer. In effect a FREE channel.

Telling the subscribers that they should pick up a Saorview box is missing the point. Must Offer and Must Carry = MUST in both cases.

But you can look at it another way are UPC offering this channel.Yes
    Are they carring it...Yes
    Do you have to pay a subscription cost for this channel.No
    Do you need to pay for equipment for this channel.Yes

So are Saorview offering this channel.Yes
    Are they carring it..Yes
    Do you have to pay a subscription.No

So basically it is the same thing

But you can look at it another way are UPC offering this channel.Yes
    Are they carring it...Yes
    Do you have to pay a subscription cost for this channel.No

First off, lets not confuse Saorview and a Pay operator like UPC. Existing UPC customers are paying for this service under a private agreement. These new channels are meant to be free (in as much sense as the word free can be, given that UPC encrypts everything).

RTE2HD is a new digital only station approved by the Minister for Communication on 24 Feb 2011.

Must carry = must carry at no additional cost.

Why are people (with HD boxes already - posts above) being told that they have to sign up to a HD subscription charge to get this must carry station ? Surely their HD box decodes it.

If people want the hardware to decode these must carry services alone why are they being tied into upgrades and why cant they acquire a HD box for this one service alone for a set fee. Its all very well seeing commentary that UPC dont sell boxes answers and the around the garden answers, but it is not answering the question and points to every opportunity to get people paying for HD subscriptions for proprietary boxes when all they have requested is the new must carry channel.

From what I have read, no ongoing HD subscription = no proprietary HD Box = no RTE2HD.

• Advertisement

Existing UPC Customer are not paying for this service if you had Digital Value HD 6 months ago then you are paying the same as you are now except you have one extra channel RTE2 HD so hence this is a FREE Channel if you were paying for it then your bill would have went up so as you say there was no additional cost.

If people want the hardware to decode this channel of course they have to upgrade as they wont recieve it on a SD box they need a HD box whether that be a HD subscription or Multi room are you suggesting that UPC replace all there customers standard def box with a HD box free of charge so they recieve RTE2 HD , if this is the case what would be the point of Saorview you have to pay for a Saorview box anywhere between 60e and 130e why would UPC give a box for free...

As you state the rules are they must carry it which they do, they must offer it which they do and it must be free which it is..but there is nothing there to say they have to provide the hardware for free same as Saorview hardware both of them cost

Sorry just dont understand your point but maybe im missing something

Campo this is not about UPC providing its existing customers with HD boxes for free. What I said in my previous post is that there should be a facility for someone who is a subscriber to update their boxes to HD boxes for a set fee without having to subscribe to HD subscription or multiroom or any ongoing HD services. I fully understand that UPC is not a charity. But I also fully understand that the box is provided as part of the service and always belongs to UPC. "If's" dont belong with basic services.

Saorview boxes are a once off hardware cost of €60 (or nothing if they already have a capable IDTV). The box is yours to keep. There are no ongoing subscription costs.

Given Analogue Switch Off happens on October 24th this year, RTE2HD as a station will only be available as a HD station requiring HD hardware. It will not be broadcast simultaneously in SD. At that point will UPC customers loose RTE2HD altogether ?

From what I can see existing customers with HD boxes without subscriptions seem to be getting conflicting information at the service desks.

But maybe I am reading it wrong Campo :) This ain't an anti-UPC response by the way, I am sure the same issues will arise with Sky when they look for the must offer. Level playing pitches should be just that if the platforms are neutral.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Belfunk

Is RTE 2 HD freezing for anyone else? Every other channel is fine in both SD & HD but RTE keeps freezing every 10 minutes or so for me.

What baffles me about the UPC HD subscription is that HD subscribers on the Digital Value pack get 3 or 4 HD channels for €5 exra a month, those on the Digital Select Extra get 12 or 13 HD channels for €5 extra a month, & those on Digital Max get 1 or 2 more.

But, given that the HD channels all have their own seperate epg numbers why doesn't everyone that pays extra for HD not get all the HD channels, despite their SD counterparts not being included in their basic subscription, considering that what you are actually paying for is the ability to decode HD? After all €5 is €5 and HD is HD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

jjj6894x wrote: »
    quick question -- will those who have a sky hd box be able to get rte?

Not with a Sky HD box but RTÉ Two HD is freely available via an aerial

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

jeckle wrote: »
    But, given that the HD channels all have their own seperate epg numbers why doesn't everyone that pays extra for HD not get all the HD channels, despite their SD counterparts not being included in their basic subscription, considering that what you are actually paying for is the ability to decode HD? After all €5 is €5 and HD is HD.

Why should someone on HD get Nat Geo HD, Discovery HD Bio HD, etc, when you need a subscription to Digital Select extra of Max+ to see them iin SD?

What baffles me about the UPC HD subscription is that HD subscribers on the Digital Value pack get 3 or 4 HD channels for €5 exra a month, those on the Digital Select Extra get 12 or 13 HD channels for €5 extra a month, & those on Digital Max get 1 or 2 more.

@STB y apologies I did not read your post right the 1st time I do agree that a existing UPC customer who does not have a HD capable box should be able to ring UPC and get it swapped for a HD cpable box for a FEE, And I am far from Pro UPC I am actually a Sky customer so I will not recieve Rte2HD but if I realy wanted it that bad I would get a Saorview box

@Jeckle As stated above I am a Sky customer and I pay 15e a month for a HD subsription and I am on their basic pack so are you saying just because I have HD I should recieve Sports, Movies, National Geo, History etc.
    Does not work that way you only get the HD channels that you are paying for on your subscription with Sky and UPC and I think that is fair enough as if it was the other wat round it would not be fair on the customer who do not have HD or even worse has no chance of getting HD ( Might not have HD TV etc )

Why should someone on HD get Nat Geo HD, Discovery HD Bio HD, etc, when you need a subscription to Digital Select extra of Max+ to see them iin SD?
    Because they pay a €5 HD subscription. I wasn't suggesting they should have access to the SD channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Because they pay a €5 HD subscription. I wasn't suggesting they should have access to the SD channels.

You'd be looking for Sky Sports HD next, because you'll be paying a €5 HD sub...

Not the SD Sports, of course.

Your logic is flawed.

• Advertisement

@Jeckle As stated above I am a Sky customer and I pay 15e a month for a HD subsription and I am on their basic pack so are you saying just because I have HD I should recieve Sports, Movies, National Geo, History etc.
    Does not work that way you only get the HD channels that you are paying for on your subscription with Sky and UPC and I think that is fair enough as if it was the other wat round it would not be fair on the customer who do not have HD or even worse has no chance of getting HD ( Might not have HD TV etc )
    I was referring to the UPC HD subscription, but yes, I would consider SkySports & SkyMovies as premium channels anyway, & even the Eurosport HD channels but not the likes of History, Biography, Nat Geo Wild HD etc.

It doesn't affect me personnally, as I have a free digital max HD subscription so have never paid for HD, but it's just something that always baffled me, considering that the €5 subscription is basically for the pleasure of being able to receive HD channels.

€5 a month is not free, so it's not free to receive RTE2 HD on UPC. It's €5 a month no matter what way you look at it!

Advertisement