Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Right.....here it goes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

So what exactly does one do once they've learnt all the kanji? Start with the various readings?

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭hibby

That's cheap enough, hope one of them works out for you.

I had my two trial lessons on Sunday. They were both good and I seriously considered going with both. But in the end I decided to go with the lady who will teach me at home, for practical reasons.

I must say I felt really guilty about telling the other lady I wouldn't become her student. She seemed really nice, and fun, and an excellent teacher (and beautiful, not that that should be relevant). Not only that, but she spent over an hour and a half on the trial lesson, which only cost 1000 yen (barely enough to cover her train fare, let alone her time and effort).

One option I considered is Skype lessons. You can pay up-front for 5 lessons. On the plus side, you save travel time and travel cost. On the other hand, I feel it would lack the immediacy of a face-to-face lesson and probably not be as effective.

So now I will be having 1-hour conversation lessons at home once a week on Sunday mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

Good luck Hibby!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭fanki na pengin

In my exuberance, I can't believe I didn't update this.....

HEISIG IS DONE! :D

BUT, it's just the beginning. Actually, Konata will know as I was messaging her, that I'm thinking of studying translation studies in DCU when I get back to Ireland. It means that (long story short), I need a decent level of Irish or French....sooooooooo

I must know turn my attentions towards one of them, while keeping a decent level of Japanese. :eek:

Honestly, looking forward to it! Plan of starting in DCU in 2014 I'd imagine. Leaving Japan in 6 months! Will have at least JLP4 by then, not taking it fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭just-joe

Nice one! It seems like you managed it quickly just by popping on here every once in a while, but it must have been a long road. I'll be interested to see how it leads to reading kanji - how is it going for ya? Can you recognise most/all the kanji you see?

And, (I guess I could check on the website but) do you need French/another language too? I thought only Japanese would be ok?

• Advertisement

Well, most of the time with the kanji I recognise it's general meaning. Let's say about 70%. For me, that's brilliant! there are people on the JET programme that I talk to about this and for them that's not enough. I also tell them it's better than 69% and far better than 0%.

The course I want to try for in DCU requires one of Spanish, French, German or Irish to a LC Higher level, then you can pick beginners Japanese. There's a feeder PLC for a year in Coolock for it, so I might give that a bash. My French might be lacking straight away, but I'll make up for it with the Japanese.

That's the plan anyway! ^_^

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

Go on the funky penguin!

JLPT results came out here today and I received the good word. Now the hard slog to N2!

Tristram wrote: »
    Go on the funky penguin!

JLPT results came out here today and I received the good word. Now the hard slog to N2!

Results are out? Well done on conquering N3, and best of luck with N2!

As expected, I failed.

However, my scores weren't quite as disastrous as I expected:
    Vocab/Grammar: 27/60
    Reading: 30/60
    Listening: 28/60

To my amazement, I actually scraped a pass mark (50%) in the reading and was not that far off in the other two sections.

I'm in no rush to try again, to be honest. That kind of intensive study is great for building up a solid body of vocab and grammar points, but it's pretty sterile.

Since I finished the exam I have felt much more free to learn in more "natural" ways.

Hibby, thats so close, unlucky! You will nail it the next time.

• Advertisement

Well, most of the time with the kanji I recognise it's general meaning. Let's say about 70%. For me, that's brilliant! there are people on the JET programme that I talk to about this and for them that's not enough. I also tell them it's better than 69% and far better than 0%.

The course I want to try for in DCU requires one of Spanish, French, German or Irish to a LC Higher level, then you can pick beginners Japanese. There's a feeder PLC for a year in Coolock for it, so I might give that a bash. My French might be lacking straight away, but I'll make up for it with the Japanese.

That's the plan anyway! ^_^

70% is a massive number. That's quite amazing. If you can progress to reading all the kanji you understand it will be great. I guess it would take a lot of time but if ya get to it the same way you did for going through heisig you'll kick ass.

Yeah I checked the translation studies and it seems there's a one language route or a two language route. It says you have to have a degree in one language though, I wonder is it ok to not have one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

just-joe wrote: »
    Yeah I checked the translation studies and it seems there's a one language route or a two language route. It says you have to have a degree in one language though, I wonder is it ok to not have one?

I'm currently studying the Applied Languages & Translation Studies course in DCU which fanki na pengin is considering. Here's a link to the course page: http://www.dcu.ie/prospective/deginfo.php?classname=ALIS

I'm not sure what course you're looking at? This one is an undergrad so no previous degrees required. It's also strictly a 2 language pathway course. Currently, there is an option to drop the second language after 2nd year and continue with a single language pathway for 3rd and 4th year but any incoming students from 2013 onwards no longer have that option and must study both languages for the whole 4 years.

According to Konata, it's now a two language route?

You used to be able to focus on one during the later years, but now you must continue with two (which I honestly don'y mind).

Wait, are you looking at undergrad or postgrad? I want to do the undergrad, as I have hopes and dreams of never leaving college! :pac:

PS hard luck hibby, but it sounds like you're not too bothered, and the experience itself was far more valuable than any result. Saying that, a friend here got 54%
    ....ouch.

EDIT: Woops, I'm mad late with that reply......

Ahhhh sorry sorry sorry, I was looking at the masters course.

****surei itashima****a.

Woah! Going back to start an undergrad would be a long road!

Yeah, but to be honest, I always saw myself doing two degrees. My first was in Music, which was just something I really wanted to do at the time. (I actually started that late too, at 20 years old). But now.....well I suppose it is going to take some more time (I'll be 33 when graduating) but I just don't see my career being in music.

Maybe sharing a bit too much. :pac:

I think you should go ahead and do it, if circumstances allow. So you'll have followed a unique career path - how many people will have a music degree and a Japanese translation degree? - but there's nothing wrong with having a unique skill set and making your own path.

Actually, a friend and colleague of mine, a qualified mechanical engineer with 10 years of experience (he's an extremely smart and competent engineer) recently left a good job and started a medical degree in his mid-30s. And that was the right decision for him; the great thing is that he was brave enough to go ahead and do it.

And you'll be qualified with a translation studies degree long before he's a doctor!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Decided to start the Heisig method myself, not gonna go at it too intensely but try for consistency, 20-25 a day. Will let you know how I do. Shame Funky penguin isn't around, would like to know if he bothered with the second book for learning the readings or tried to pick them up in a more natural method.

Any guesses on which language he'll re-register his username in? :p

funky penguin is gone?

gone where?

I dunno his account is closed again though. Probably finding boards a distraction and trying to spend as much time as possible immersed in Japanese!

What we should all be doing..:eek:

• Advertisement

395 Kanji. Will start an Anki deck later today and start adding stuff in context.

Covered a whole 92 Kanji yesterday, was feeling pleased with myself until I read the log of somebody who covered the book in 15 days. In a single day they covered 241 Kanji :eek:

I tend to be very sceptical about anyone who learns 241 kanji in a day. That's just ridiculous.

Well really the 'learning' comes through the weeks of reviewing following making up a little story about the kanji. So yeah I'd imagine after those two weeks his retention on Anki was probably quite a low percentage, but I'd say he was getting 98%+ right still months and months faster than most people who saw the book through.

That may be true. I guess if you use it enough and complete it it gets kanji into your head.

I'm yet to meet someone who did the book and can now read Japanese well. (though i dont many who have finished, just a lot who read the start and didn't go through with it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭ConFurioso

Decided to start the Heisig method myself, not gonna go at it too intensely but try for consistency, 20-25 a day. Will let you know how I do. Shame Funky penguin isn't around, would like to know if he bothered with the second book for learning the readings or tried to pick them up in a more natural method.

Any guesses on which language he'll re-register his username in? :p

I bet you he'll do something silly like use his PSN account name.....

>_>

<_<

Seriously though, fair play fewtins!

You're exactly right. After I finished heisig, the load was so much, that I needed no distractions. But I feel I have some sense of grasp on it at the moment.

Doing a few sentences but nothing too hyper. Honestly, I think the studying has taken a back seat to enjoying my last few months in Japan. Hope everyone is well and getting to grips with Japanese!

Lost a bit of enthusiasm for Heisig :p Lost a couple of days during St. Patrick's weekend as well >_<

845 kanji.

That's a HUGE amount! Really give yourself a moment to sit back and realise you can write 845 kanji! It's a great achievement! you're nearly half way there! ^_^

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭MomijiHime

Good on all of you for working so hard! I can't imagine learning over 100 kanji in a day.. I'm going to start studying Japanese once I finish my Junior cert in June and I'm in TY next year so I hope to learn a lot then!

Advertisement