Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surgery is required, too late for health insurance??

• 25-10-2010 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi all, i could really use some advice. My dad is in awful pain and needs a disc removed from his lower back as soon as possible as it is pressing on the nerves. He has been told he'll be waiting approximately a year for surgery and until then he just has to stick the pain. Chiropractors cannot treat him and physio, difene and painkillers arent working.

He cant walk or sit or even drive with it. Because of the waiting time we have been looking into getting the surgery done privately but its quite expensive, so i was wondering if VHI would accept him as a patient now and cover him for the surgery?

I would really appreciate any advice!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Most private health insurance have a 6 month wait before you're covered, and it's usually longer for pre-existing conditions unfortunately.

Call them tomorrow to discuss (avoid giving name, date of birth or any contact details), but I'm pretty sure that getting private health insurance now won't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Lorraine_ie

Thanks for the reply. not what i wanted to hear :(. I will call VHI tomorrow for information. Hopefully something can be done as theres no way anyone can be expected to go through that pain for a year or more. the public health system is absolutely ridiculous!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭phormium

What about the purchase treatment fund, kicks in after 3 months waiting

http://www.ntpf.ie/home/

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Lorraine_ie

phormium wrote: »
    What about the purchase treatment fund, kicks in after 3 months waiting

Oh that looks like a good system! I might call them tomorrow and enquire. Anyone know of anyone who got treatment this way?

Thanks Phormium

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

There is not a chance of your relative been covered. Sorry.

I wish him all the best in his treatment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Because of the waiting time we have been looking into getting the surgery done privately but its quite expensive, so i was wondering if VHI would accept him as a patient now and cover him for the surgery?

I don't think pre-existing conditions are ever covered as part of health insurance, regardless of any waiting period. He'd have to check with each of the insurers first though, and make sure to disclose this particular requirement when asking.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

There is a 5 year wait until pre-existing conditions are covered.
    The National treatment purchase fund is probably a better bet. It kicks in after you are on a waiting list for surgery for 6 months.
    Details here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

Chiropractors cannot treat him
    totally off topic but no proof that chiropractors can help anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Ive been through what your dad is going through now, except i was 19 (long time ago). Cutting a long story short, chiropractors are useless, dont waste your time or money anymore on them (in my experience and my opinion).

Painkillers are indeed useless, the pain is so intense, the only real relief i got from this problem was by sleeping for 3 months on the floor beside my bed. It was very uncomforatable but this is what i had to do and it was far less uncomfortable than the pain extending down the back of my thigh from the nerves. Essentially, a sleeping bag and a pillow. The hard surface helped alot. I was admitted to the beaumount hospital, had my surgery on day 2 and went home on day 9/10.

Unfortunately, i cannot advise you directly on insurance but i would advise you to get information on this from your local tax office or the revenue commissioners in respect of any monies that may be paid out in the future. Tax relief may be found there, im not 100% but just throwing it out there for you to think about. Taken from revenue commission website...........

"You may claim tax relief in respect of the cost of certain medical expenses paid by you. You cannot claim tax relief for any expenditure which: a) has been, or will be, reimbursed by another body such as the VHI, Quinn Healthcare Insurance Ltd., Hibernian Aviva Health Insurance Ltd, the Health Service Executive or other body or person b) has been, or will be, the subject of a compensation payment c) relates to routine dental and ophthalmic care.

Good luck.

amen wrote: »
    totally off topic but no proof that chiropractors can help anyone

...but lots of testimonies from people who could get help nowhere else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

...but lots of testimonies from people who could get help nowhere else.

Lourdes also gets lots of testimonies but it's all a load of rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭gleep

Anyone ever heard of "Health Tourism" in Britain? Apparently people come from other countries to get treatment on the NHS, which is, of course, absolutley free.

Sean_K wrote: »
    Lourdes also gets lots of testimonies but it's all a load of rubbish.

There's a difference between a (lazy) spiritual belief and actual physical treatment.

Your comparison carries no merit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

There's a difference between a (lazy) spiritual belief and actual physical treatment.

Your comparison carries no merit.

I'm not comparing the two, I'm highlighting the fallibility of testimonials.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

Oh that looks like a good system! I might call them tomorrow and enquire. Anyone know of anyone who got treatment this way?

Thanks Phormium

Yes the system is a good one. Once one is in the public system, it generally works. The waiting lists on that website help GPs and patients alike ascertain specific waiting times for specific procedures in specific hospitals. Your/his GP should assist, you can assist him/her by dojng all the spade work re waiting times etc. The staff in the NTPF are very helpful as well though.

Different hospitals in different locations with different consultants is also another option that is worth looking at.

Private health insurance helps skips queues despite what some distractors have previously stated but is no help to you at this time or for this example due to pre existing conditions.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,901 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Guys let's keep it on topic here.

Sean_K wrote: »
    I'm not comparing the two, I'm highlighting the fallibility of testimonials.

And peer review has no fallibility?

Toots* wrote: »
    Guys let's keep it on topic here.

OK.

Advertisement