Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Return of Republic of Telly

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

It's a bit ridiculous.. It took Delamere a few episodes to get the hang of working off the autocue, and he eventually got pretty good at it... And it was a solid enough show, without being particularly groundbreaking...

And now they have to train in somebody else from scratch...

Dermot Whelan has presented TV shows on both RTÉ and TV3 so I don't think they should have to train him in..... hopefully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Elmo wrote: »
    Dermot Whelan has presented TV shows on both RTÉ and TV3 so I don't think they should have to train him in..... hopefully.

so what you reckon then elmo, will he be better or worse than Delamere? Neil got the hang of it toward the end of the last season, and it was good enough show... comedy by numbers for sure, but still better than any of RTE's other 2009/2010 "comedy" offerings... (i.e. Fancy Vittles, Mattie, Val Falvey)

And did anybody on here go to the first show? Always someone on boards who attends these yokes..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Dermot Whelan is the least funny male "comedian" to ever appear on the panel so i wont be holding my breath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Namabillion

Neil was pulling in about 125,000 viewers each week and the show was quite funny. Not a huge fan of Whelan though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭el diablo

Awful show. Delamere was poor but I'm sure this new chap'll be even worse. I'll watch tonight just to see how bad it is. :D

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,683 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

hehe.. boobage slow mo.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,520 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

This new guy is miles better than that gombeen Delamere.

Good start to the season, Whelan seems to be better at this than he is on The Panel, very natural with the autocue.. Took Delamere about four weeks to get used to it..

Jennifer Maguire with her usual childish double entendre.

good to see that Crystal Swing can take the mick out of themselves, its pretty well done that!

That inbred chap with the bandy legs is an embarrassment to this country. Wish he'd just fcuk off. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

About as funny as having piles and driving over cobbles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

It's going down hill very fast since the break.

This Limerick stuff is really shít. I can't even understand what they're trying to say.. Why are the audience laughing? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭salad dodger

Rubberbandits A++

• Registered Users Posts: 14,520 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

ThisRegard wrote: »
    It's going down hill very fast since the break.
    It started off well but has degenerated into juvenile drivel.

el diablo wrote: »
    This Limerick stuff is really shít. I can't even understand what they're trying to say.. Why are the audience laughing? :confused:

And why was one of them talking with a "Cork" accent?

haven't even squeezed out so much as a grin since that Jen wan came on ranting about dvds.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭fruvai

Absolute ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

enjoying it meself, rubber bandits were funny, i like jennifer, dermot's surprisingly decent..not bad

It started off well but has degenerated into juvenile drivel.

Exact word I was gonna use. Very childish... No need for all the extra contributors.. just review all the mistakes on RTE TV and radio, god knows you could get an hour out of Tubridy alone..

• Advertisement

Harry Hill can get more laughs from 30 seconds with a knitted puppet than this program.

As has been said, why are the audience laughing and whooping like idiots ?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Awful awful awful.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Harry Hill can get more laughs from 30 seconds with a knitted puppet than this program.

As has been said, why are the audience laughing and whooping like idiots ?

There's a clue in the question, somewhere.

Yes, I was setting it up for such a reply :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭brennan1979

The show has definitely improved after getting rid of Delamere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

The first half of the show was pretty solid with a few funny moments, second half wwas car-crash stuff with the exception of the Rubberbandits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Tiny Explosions

The show has definitely improved after getting rid of Delamere.

Yea... it has improved but it's still fairly shíte though!:D

New presenter is much better than Delamare.

I thought the Star Wars bit was good...and the Limerick guy throwing the snail was funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭brennan1979

Yea... it has improved but it's still fairly shíte though!:D

New presenter is much better than Delamare.

I thought the Star Wars bit was good...and the Limerick guy throwing the snail was funny.

True. Laughed out load at the Rubber Bandits vid in Limerick and for a RTE comedy to make me laugh I have to give credit where credit is due. The Jennifer stuff is pretty lame but still not as bad as the guy down the cave talking about the miners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Shane10

enjoying it meself, rubber bandits were funny, i like jennifer, dermot's surprisingly decent..not bad

exactly what you said, never really watched it when delamere was on it so i said id have a look tonight. i laughed quite a bit i have to say, the rubber bandits at the map was very funny near the end. i'll tune in next week.

• Advertisement

Okay, my breakdown of the show:

Dermot Whelan - was very good to be fair to him... very natural on the camera. was expecting him to have some teething problems (like Delamere did), but he was straight into it right from the first line.

Jennifer Maguire - never liked her.. they get her onto the red carpet just to ask offensive questions.. dislikable as a person and contributes nothing to the humour. Hopefully Mairead Farrell will be back in this spot for the rest of the series..

Brendan - Was fairly hit and miss last year. Some were very good to be fair.. but the sketch last nite used the most obvious of mining puns and of course the LCD Brian Cowan joke to finish..

Rubber Bandits - Didnt get this at all.. Putting on a mask and a funny accent doesnt make you funny imo.. Cant understand how so many people here thought they were funny.. :confused:

Interested to hear what other people though..

Advertisement