Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

FREE Slots for Rock/Punk/Grunge/Alternative Night

Options
  • 19-01-2012 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

FREE Slots available for Rock/Punk/Grunge/Alternative bands on the 29h of January in the Pint Bar on Eden quay Dublin 1

Live and Unsigned Dublin are running this night but its not a competition, just a night where good bands can come and play similar music together, were really only looking for bands who can bring a bit of crowd with them on the night, so basically when all bands do this, all bands will get to play to a decent crowd. After the success of the first one of these nights on the 14th of January, we ve decided to put on another one so soon, great bands and great crowd, place rocked!!

5 Euros in at the Door
    over 18's
    bands do not get paid

email liveandunsigneddublin@gmail.com if interested in playing!!

Comments

Are the bands getting paid?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Timeline1979

I was at the last one and as far as I know none of the bands were paid, despite the place being packed at a fiver a person. I don't know the overhanging costs of the Pint on a Saturday night but I would have imagined what was left over could have been distributed between the bands, even if it was a few quid for bus fares/petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 benestoria2

Yeah I have to say usually the live and unsigned gigs in the pint are very well run and have a great reputation because they offer bands decent prizes but if there are no prizes being offered for this there should be a few quid dished out to the bands otherwise you will lose that reputation you have built up and you will become another ***** *******...and nobody wants another one of those

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Daycentbill

I was at the last one and as far as I know none of the bands were paid, despite the place being packed at a fiver a person. I don't know the overhanging costs of the Pint on a Saturday night but I would have imagined what was left over could have been distributed between the bands, even if it was a few quid for bus fares/petrol.

Ok Im sorry about this lads, but how many of ye can name a well know regurlar gig night in Dublin that pays unsigned bands to play for 20/25minutes or less, I can't actually think of one.

its very hard to win in this business, if you run a successful unsigned band night and make sure there a good crowd there for the bands to play to its not good enough anymore.

Look at this way I've been playing in bands for years, and I know well that unsigned bands never get paid for a 20/30 minute slots, not even for festivals etc thats just the way is is. for example i know 2 well know Irish Bands who played Reading festival in the UK this year and they barely got 50euros each for playing, so they had to pay all there travel costs etc but they did it as there trying to promote themselves to brigger crowds, so if one of the biggest festivals in the UK can barely play well known acts how do you think small time promoters can do it for ''unheard of unsigned bands''.

I think most people dont realize how much work goes into these nights so they reckon if they play they should get paid but actually what were doing at these nights is providing a platform for unsigned bands so they get there name out there by playing to as many people as possible. FREE PROMOTION!!

And now to make things even tougher for us as the bar has brought in new rental fees, €150 extra rental fees per night, if you don't believe me call them today and try and ask to book a night.

So if we had to pay 9 bands that played that night, just say for example we paid each band 30euros which is nothing anyways for one band, so 9 x 30 is €270 plus €150 extra for the venue, so this doesn't leave any profit and there a good chance of making a loss on other nights.

So any nights ran like this wouldn't last long as the promoters wouldn't be arsed making sure the night runs/goes well if there not making any profit!!

I genuinely believe people need an incentive to do something, obviously one of ours is too make bit of profit for the hard work we put in and also to have some purpose in life in this downturn economy.

And unsigned bands incentive should be to play to as many people in the one venue as possible and be happy that there are people running these nights and lots of people get to hear ye.

Lastly we'll try run our nights the best and fairest way possible, and will always try and help bands out in any way we can. If the venue was FREE of charge obviously for our gigs that weren't competitions we d pay bands but these new charges it not possible to make it work on a regular basis.

Also we have taking into account your submissions so now we ll provide some free drinks/tokens/Free band photo-shoots/FREE rehearsal time in practice rooms/ to bands that are bringing 10 or more fans with them on the night. that the best we can do!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Timeline1979

Ah yeah, I get you totally, it's a nightmare to put on a gig in Ireland.
    But after the costs of the venue, how much roughly was made that night? Only asking because I saw your book with the band's names when I paid in and there was a lot of ticks beside all of their names. At a fiver a pop, that looked like a decent nights earnings to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭MrVoracious

You should do one on Feb 17th so that I can go ;P

I actually think it's great idea for up-and-coming bands to get followers so good luck with it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Daycentbill

You should do one on Feb 17th so that I can go ;P

I actually think it's great idea for up-and-coming bands to get followers so good luck with it! :D

cheers, if you email us at liveandunsigneddublin@gmail.com we ll let you know when we ve another one booked

Advertisement