Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SSssooooo annoyed!

• 26-12-2009 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭

I went walking up by the marina in cork today with friends. There was 6 people in total, Gunnar, another Samoyed Ben, a golden retriever Joey, a Papillon Banjo and a labrador puppy Murphy.

All the dogs were off lead and Gunnar being curious went up to a terrier on lead to say hello.
    I wish we had been paying more attention. But usually we leave them off lead and there is never a problem.
    Anyway before I knew it Gunnar was being bitten by this MONGREL of a thing! The [strike]lady[/strike] IDIOT owner didn't so much as try to get him off, she didn't correct him or yank the lead. She just STOOD there and didn't even react. It was as if her dog was sniffing for a spot to cock his leg and she was just waiting :rolleyes:
    It took 5 of us to get him off Gunnar BUT then he went for Ben. Again 5 of us to get him off while she stood there doing nothing again! I even kicked the little runt to try and get him to get off Ben. I was terrified for Ben as I though his eye was gone. Luckily he only had a little scrape.

Anyway she roared abuse at us saying it was very intimidating with all our dogs.... :rolleyes: :mad:

What that little runt did to Gunnar earlier :(

AFE3D2E67BA4400784AD5932DD651B7B-800.jpg
    Very lucky that it wasn't a bit further down :nod:

0A9B46C2CBD24D5DBDF1DFC756BD743A-800.jpg

13245286183C4C93A5CA58AB286D77CC-800.jpg

6AF6D92ABD6D40AE91A497F6739B7EF1-800.jpg

E9FE58CC23AB40CF9694683B5BB0DDC1-800.jpg

7F729B57E1854FC8AFA546595938846D-800.jpg

I will not be responsible for my actions if I ever come across that person again... :mad:

Though I suppose I should be thankful as it was too close for comfort to Gunnars eye! We were supposed to be showing him in a championship show on Monday but there is no way I can show him now with his eye like that. Though thank GOD that is the biggest of my problems tonight.

I don't even want to think if it had been a little further south that was injured. He's happy in himself and seems to have forgotten about it too :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭MAB83

Sorry to hear about your dog but when you have your dog off it's lead you have to take responsibility for the consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

Oh absolutely. I have no problem taking responsibility for Gunnar going up to an unfriendly dog. What I have issues with is some idiot standing there not even calling her dog off!!

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

MAB83 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about your dog but when you have your dog off it's lead you have to take responsibility for the consequences.

And what about the responsibility of the person with their dog on the lead? I own a nervous dog and I'm very careful about being in control of him when they are off-leash dogs around. Its my responsibility to care for my dog and I'm not bothered what other people do with theirs as long as I know I have complete authority over my own little guy. That and I always carry a big stick with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭MAB83

Did she not react at all? :confused: Very odd.

Could have been a lot worse, thankfully it didn't get his eye, will you need to take him to the Vet?

MAB83 wrote: »
    Did she not react at all? :confused: Very odd.

Could have been a lot worse, thankfully it didn't get his eye, will you need to take him to the Vet?

She did nothing! She stood there while 5 people tried to get her dog off of Gunnar first and then ben.

Five people while she didn't so much yank the lead or tell him no.

When I say nothing I mean she didn't move 1 step. It really was nothing.

Unless it gets infected he should be okay. I've the area washed in disinfectant and an antiseptic cream on it. So I have my fingerscrossed that it's enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Sorry to hear about gunnar but there is nothing more annoying than having a dog on a lead and an owner with an offlead dog allows their dog approach without checking. She probably had him on the lead because he is dog agressive. I would be furious if I was her TBH. Many dogs will react that way if an offlead dog approched when they are on lead. It is intimidating.

I don't think the fact the dog isn't a pure breed has anything to do with him attacking?

Sorry to hear about gunnar but there is nothing more annoying than having a dog on a lead and an owner with an offlead dog allows their dog approach without checking. She probably had him on the lead because he is dog agressive. I would be furious if I was her TBH. Many dogs will react that way if an offlead dog approched when they are on lead. It is intimidating.

I don't think the fact the dog isn't a pure breed has anything to do with him attacking?

How typical of boards...... lets turn it into an argument of pure breed vs not :rolleyes:
    Of course I;m going to call her dog every name under the son. It attacked my FRIENDLY dog while SHE stood there and ALLOWED it to.

And so would you stand and allow your dog to bite another one. Doing nothing for a good 5 minutes? Well would you? Would you allow a childs hand to be bit off too??? For gods sake the majority of people with half a brain would pull their dog off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

jen_23 wrote: »
    How typical of boards...... lets turn it into an argument of pure breed vs not :rolleyes:
    Of course I;m going to call her dog every name under the son. It attacked my FRIENDLY dog while SHE stood there and ALLOWED it to.

And so would you stand and allow your dog to bite another one. Doing nothing for a good 5 minutes? Well would you? Would you allow a childs hand to be bit off too??? For gods sake the majority of people with half a brain would pull their dog off.

Jen I'm sorry, but I think thats very unfair on helena, you posted in capital letters the word MONGREL, she's not turning it into an argument of pure breed vs not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Personally - if you have your dog off a lead - it's mostly your responsibility what happens.
    I have my dogs on leads, they're nervous and wary, anyone comes close to them (with their kids or dogs on leads) I tell them, because I don't want someone trying to pet them or a dog to try sniffing just incase one gets spooked and something happens.

If a dog off lead came up and scared my dogs and they reacted I'd be well ticked off, especially if you kicked one of my dogs. Did you think perhaps the woman was scared?
    My mother gets terrified when my two dogs fight (on the odd occasion), she literally can't move. Even when they're only play fighting she's semi rooted to the spot. This woman may have been like that, is ok with her own little dog, but if there's a fight she's terrified, you say she didn't move an inch. Some people don't know what to do in a fight situation, it can be quite scary.

Now I'm really sorry for what happened to your dog and your friends dog, but you can't put all the blame on the person who had their dog on a lead and who was possibly frightened by what was happening and didn't know what to do. When it stopped she got annoyed at you/your friends for having 5 dogs wandering around off lead, to another dog that can be intimidating. (certainly would be to my dogs)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭Top Dog

If he's dog aggressive, which todays incident would definitely suggest, then he should be muzzled. Simple as that. You do not take a dog-aggressive dog to an area that is known to be popular with dog owners, most of whom give their dogs a good run there. There were a good number of other dogs off-lead, many out jogging with their owners, and not a single one had an issue with any of our 5. We've been there a good number of times at this stage, come across loads of other dogs (majority off-lead), never had an issue up to today.

As for the bit about being a pure breed - who on earth suggested the incident happened because the attacking dog wasn't a pure-breed? Maybe it was. Maybe it wasn't. Given the flurry of activity to separate the dog from Gunnar's & Ben's head, no-one really bothered to assess whether the other dog was a pure-breed or not. Either way doesn't matter to be honest so bringing it up is a bit pointless.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭turtle dubh

Well Jen if i was out walking with my dog on a lead and I met 6 people walking with their dogs off their leads, I would not be happy. I would feel very intimidated and Im sure my dog would as well. I feel that you were in the wrong and not the woman with her dog on the lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭tudlytops

This happen to one of my dogs a few years back, but the dog like yours mine wasn't gravelly hurt so I stayed foot and called the Guards, made an official complaint, they were made to pay all the vet fees and a fine.

My dog was fine and I was happy with the outcome.

Well Jen if i was out walking with my dog on a lead and I met 6 people walking with their dogs off their leads, I would not be happy. I would feel very intimidated and Im sure my dog would as well. I feel that you were in the wrong and not the woman with her dog on the lead.

Why? where I walk my dogs there are always loads of people with dogs off the leads, i often take mine off to so they can run about.

But I have one at the moment I have one that i wouldn't trust so i always keep that one on the lead, people know what kind of dog they have and should act accordingly

Tottaly agree, as i said at the moment I have one dog that i wouldn't trust so i always keep that one on the lead, people know what kind of dog they have and should act accordingly

Oh absolutely. I have no problem taking responsibility for Gunnar going up to an unfriendly dog. What I have issues with is some idiot standing there not even calling her dog off!!
    star-pants wrote: »
    Personally - if you have your dog off a lead - it's mostly your responsibility what happens.
    Note above I have already taken Part responsibiltiy for having him off lead.

Would a person have to take full responisibility for their child being bitten beacause a child curiously went up to the vicious dog? I don't think so. The point would not be that the child should have been on a lead the dog should have been muzzled!

If a dog off lead came up and scared my dogs and they reacted I'd be well ticked off, especially if you kicked one of my dogs. Did you think perhaps the woman was scared?
    Scared of what? that my dog who was yelping in pain because her dog wouldn't let him go? Scared of my overly friendly dog who didn't even retaliate?

I kicked her dog when he was attacking the second dog and wouldn't let go. We thought he had his eye! So yes! I bloody well kicked him. And I would do it again to any dog that was attacking gunnar like that and an owner didn't have any control to get him off.
    What was I supposed to do? Let him rip his face off or wait for the owner to come to her senses at somepoint when perhaps he had been mauled half to death to drag her dog off? I don't bloody think so!

She didn't seem to scared when she was shouting at us afterwords so no I don't think she was one bit scared.

Now I'm really sorry for what happened to your dog and your friends dog, but you can't put all the blame on the person who had their dog on a lead and who was possibly frightened by what was happening and didn't know what to do. When it stopped she got annoyed at you/your friends for having 5 dogs wandering around off lead, to another dog that can be intimidating. (certainly would be to my dogs)
    I've already said I take part blame. I should have had gunnar on lead but stupidly assumed it would be like any other walk in a place we had walked many times before.
    I can and will blame her for not doing anything to remove her dog from mine.
    What if it was a child? could you not blame her then? Because that is another possible scenario.
    Where we were walking is notorious for young families and dog walkers (most of whose dogs are off lead) to walk. Many times kids have come up to rub our dogs so what if they had gone up to hers and she froze?

I know what kind of dog I have and how he is behaves. I dont know what kind of dog you or someone else has or how he behaves. I was out walking one day with my dog when a dog off his lead came up behind Me and bit me on the leg. The owner said I dont understand that he is always so well behaved. So I can assure you I am always wary now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Jen_23 I'm not going to start a debate - I'm just giving my opinion.

You said you weren't paying attention and suddenly Gunnar was being attacked, so you don't actually know what happened in that split second. He could have come up and sniffed her dog and her dog didn't like it or anything. Had she seen a child coming toward her dog she might have warned it off - who says she didn't tell your dog to get away?

By scared I mean a dog bounding up to say hello (no matter how friendly) if a dog is of nervous disposition it might frighten it into reacting.

Maybe her dog should have been muzzled, maybe your dog should have been on a lead/under your strict supervision.

I'm not saying it's all your fault but I'm saying you can't blame someone for being scared (if she was). As I explained my mother gets rooted to the spot, she's grand once it stops though.

As I said - I can understand you being annoyed and upset, and I'm glad both dogs are ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭DoctorStrange

Think this is why people should have their dogs on a lead while out in public. You can only control your own dog and cannot expect other dogs/people to behave in a certain way.

Got to remember that this woman could have been walking her neighbours dog or one of here kids dog. Maybe this was the first time she ever walked a dog.

Think this is why people should have their dogs on a lead while out in public. You can only control your own dog and cannot expect other dogs/people to behave in a certain way.
    I fully agree with you

I fully agree with you

Yes but for a lot of dogs this is there only chance to get to run around, not everyone is able to run along with their dogs, so they go to places known to be used by people to walk their dogs and let the dogs have a good run.

If I have a dog that i don't know i keep him on a lead until I know what he is like, if i know the dog to be good with other dogs and people i let it off the lead.

• Advertisement

tudlytops wrote: »
    Yes but for a lot of dogs this is there only chance to get to run around, not everyone is able to run along with their dogs, so they go to places known to be used by people to walk their dogs and let the dogs have a good run.

If I have a dog that i don't know i keep him on a lead until I know what he is like, if i know the dog to be good with other dogs and people i let it off the lead.

Exactly. If I for one second though Gunnar had a bit of malice in him he would never be allowed off lead. He has never once growled at me. He has never been anything but friendly to all other animals and that includes dogs, cats, horses, cows and birds!
    He just submits to other dogs that growl at him he never retaliates.
    He is overly friendly. He is good with all people. Though I do put him back on lead when we are around kids and babies just in case he might jump up and knock them over out of friendliness.

If I ever owned a dog that had a tendancy to bite. He would be muzzled!

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭DoctorStrange

@jen_23 I don't think you did anything wrong. You sound like an ideal dog owner. The point I was making is that you can't choose the people you share the park with. If it's a public park then any weirdo etc can enter this park with their dog. I totally understand why your upset but if you let your dog off the lead then these things can happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

I know it was a horrible experience, but your dog really shouldn't run up to other dogs on lead and no permanent damage was done, so it might have actually have been a good learning experience for your dog. (Although the reaction of his walker was more than a little odd...)

Something similar happened to my guy when he was under a year old, he saw another dog in the distance and ran up to him, completely ignoring my efforts to call him back and got bitten in the face. Since then he's never once ran up to another dog and lies down and waits for dogs to come up to him or indicate they are friendly before approaching. At the time I was really upset about it and going on about the other dog really should be muzzled, but in the end it was completely my fault for not having proper control of my dog.

I always pop Jasper back on the lead when I see we're approaching another dog who is onlead, as it's not fair on the other dog to have off lead dogs running up to him and Jasper wouldn't like it either, even if he doesn't bite!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

What exactly are you looking from your post? some validation that you are in the right? you have admitted some fault and the owner of the other dog seems to be at fault.

Learn from it and move on, as has been said plenty of times on this post already you can only control your own dog and the best way to do that is with a lead.

Calhoun wrote: »
    What exactly are you looking from your post? some validation that you are in the right? you have admitted some fault and the owner of the other dog seems to be at fault.

Learn from it and move on, as has been said plenty of times on this post already you can only control your own dog and the best way to do that is with a lead.

She was just saying she's annoyed, not necessary that her dog got bitten, but that the owner of the other dog done nothing to try and stop it.

I know dogs will be dogs and really all dogs are unpredictable, but I would also be very annoyed if the owner didn't try and help and own up to vet costs if there were any.

She was just saying she's annoyed, not necessary that her dog got bitten, but that the owner of the other dog done nothing to try and stop it.

I know dogs will be dogs and really all dogs are unpredictable, but I would also be very annoyed if the owner didn't try and help and own up to vet costs if there were any.

All i am saying is that the story is very one sided and when the OP was called on the leash issue there was a small outburst.

Dogs will be dogs but i would also be equally be annoyed if the owner of an unleashed dog put me in a situation where i had to pull my dog off another dog and then expected me to pay because they couldn't keep their dog under control.

All i am saying is that the story is very one sided and when the OP was called on the leash issue there was a small outburst.

Dogs will be dogs but i would also be equally be annoyed if the owner of an unleashed dog put me in a situation where i had to pull my dog off another dog and then expected me to pay because they couldn't keep their dog under control.

I though she said her dog was on a leash?

If one of my dogs attacked any other dog I would pay for any vet treatment needed.

like I said at the moment I have a nervous dog and when we go out he is always on a lead and muzzled and this will be the case until i am satisfied that his behaviour as changed.

I know he is nervous and that if another dog approached him he would bit so it is my responsibility to make sure he doesn't.

Exactly as tudlytops has said below. That the owner did NOTHING to pull her dog off mine or the other dog.
    And quite frankly I was annoyed and upset not just because my dog had been bitten as I HAVE already claimed SOME responsibility for that but because the woman stood there and did nothing. Things could have been alot worse and luckily they weren't.

If I wanted validation I was in the right would I have admitted part responsibility? I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have:rolleyes:

I will learn from it and I will move on however right now I just wanted to vent about it....

Exactly thank you and i'm pretty sure alot of people in my situation whos dogs were being bitten and the owner just stood there and allowed it to happen would be rightly annoyed!

If your dog is any way inclined to bite other dogs or people it should be muzzled in places notoriously known for people walking their dogs off lead or families out for a walk. End of story!

I though she said her dog was on a leash?

If one of my dogs attacked any other dog I would pay for any vet treatment needed.

like I said at the moment I have a nervous dog and when we go out he is always on a lead and muzzled and this will be the case until i am satisfied that his behaviour as changed.

I know he is nervous and that if another dog approached him he would bit so it is my responsibility to make sure he doesn't.

the ops dog was not on a leash, there were 6 dogs not on leash running around.

It is your responsibility to make sure your dog doesn't bite but it is also the responsibility of other dog owners to have proper control of their dogs. in this case the OP's dog was off a leash and ended up being bitten so the owner is at part fault.

• Advertisement

the ops dog was not on a leash, there were 6 dogs not on leash running around.

It is your responsibility to make sure your dog doesn't bite but it is also the responsibility of other dog owners to have proper control of their dogs. in this case the OP's dog was off a leash and ended up being bitten so the owner is at part fault.

Actually there were probably about atleast 20 dogs off lead. Only 5 were belonging to our group.;)

Gunnar was after running ahead of us and had been attacked. I and my bf had to run up to him when we heard him yelping as the other dog was then biting him.

And I have several times in this thread claimed part fault. Do I have to claim it another 10 times before you are satisfied?

My issue is not that my dog was bitten but that the owner did nothing to pull her dog off! I would never stand and allow my dog to attack someone (not that he ever has and is unlikely to.... he might lick you to death possibly..... ) or another dog and not attempt to stop him. That is my issue.
    How can people not at the very least try and stop their dog from mauling another!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement