Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Watch this Tonight - Breeding

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

bushy... wrote: »
    Same reason lots of things are banned.
    Way too much damage done by a few people (out of many).

Think about it.
    The dogs are happy because of attention , around other dogs/people etc
    Not because they won because their ears are pointy or similar.

I never said the dogs are happy because they won, they are happy because they enjoy what they are doing and are very well cared for and are doing something fun, instead of being stuck in the house all day bored out of their heads.
    Theres a lot worse things that can be happening to a dog than being at a dog show.

Also Bushy, I dont what you what you meant by "same reason lots of things are banned", what was that in reference to?

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

I started reading this thread last night and just finished now. I'm looking to buy a pedigree Samoyed at the moment (as some of you may know :) ) and this has frightened the daylights out of me!

But I suppose all I can do is try to find as reputable a breeder as I can (and I think I have rec by the sammy club Ireland and a lovely person but I'll judge myself too when I go to see but so far so good :)) and hope for the best.

After reading that the second I pick the puppy it's to the vets for a very good checkup..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭sos33

IvySlayer wrote: »
    I have this recorded on Sky, some of these comments make me not want to watch it.

Is dog breeding not licensed?

not that im aware off,watch it its hard viewing but it brings to attention a serious matter that is going under the radar
    ps:i have 2 dogs,that i picked up in the pound both mongrels but healthy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Call me Socket

bullets wrote: »
    I remember hearing stories from my father when I was a kid where he told me that dalmations used to be killed as pups if they did not have spots,

Aren't all Dalmatians born spotless white, literally?!!
    I don't think they develop their spots til they're a few weeks old...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭cloudy day

as far as i know they take a while for spots to come through, which is worse as they were cullling pups that had lived a time.

lots of boxers and other bull breeds were being born with cleft palates and were being culled, due to in breeding, it didn't matter as long as they got one perfect one that might make it big.

and all of the breeds have their own horror stories to match.

thankfully these practices are starting to die out, mainly thanks to the smaller dedicated breeders who are committed to doing things right and providing sound dogs for pet homes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Demonique

sos33 wrote: »
    the only appear happy cause of the face-lifts

Do you mean the dogs or the owners? (*cough*dumbblondewithcavalier*coughcough*)

Demonique wrote: »

:D:D:D:D right on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭sos33

:D:D:D oh yeah,nice one demonique,ill leave that open to debate

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

cloudy day wrote: »
    Tonight on Tv3

Pedigree and show dog breeding expose and all the health issues involved from bad breeding practices.
    have any of ever notice these program people never take on the breaders of race horses/greyhound breeders /farmers who breed animals for food ?yet at the same time think animal cruelty and inter breeding only happens in dogs ?

getz wrote: »
    have any of ever notice these program people never take on the breaders of race horses/greyhound breeders /farmers who breed animals for food ?yet at the same time think animal cruelty and inter breeding only happens in dogs ?

:) agree totally. mulitmillion dollar empires are well protected.

however have no problem with proper farmers who supply us with the food we need to exist, it's a hard job.

i think maybe it's because this vet, i forget his name, he's now delving into all these pet dog things due to the cruelty aspect etc and there's a lot more publicity given in england, i guess because the RSPCA are themselves a very wealthy organisation that can afford the fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

cloudy day wrote: »
    Hi Morganna thanks for pm. Gorgeous dogs.

Hi bullets, I agree with you, some of the show people come across as nuts ! Especially Americans. I guess a lot of the trouble is most people nowadays don't see dogs as - well exactly that, dogs!

They are not children,they are not babies, they are not cuddly toys, they are - DOGS.

Many different variations, many different temperaments and qualities and many different purposes. It seems the world has swung from one extreme to another. I hate cruelty but it also makes me a bit sick to watch the likes of Battersea, talking about them like they are people and letting them LICK THEIR FACES, URGH . . Dogs lick their genitals. also the RSPCA has come under fire recently. That they have swung far from their original purpose.

Did ye see the bassett hound. OMG I love bassets but the one on the progrram was awful. It looked like it was wearing clothes 3 times too big. and they advocate and push this kind of breeding.
    Thanks cloudy

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Triton

andreac wrote: »
    I didnt scarper from any thread by the way.

You cannot tar all people that show their dogs with the one brush from watching that show.
    I know a lot of people in a lot of different breeds at the shows and none of them are involved in anything like what went on in that programme.

Im talking about shows in ireland by the way, that show was based in the uk.

I must of missed where you failed to reply to replies from cloudy day and myself then.

If you read the above, I don't tar all people with the same brush. I say that dog showing is the same as anything - there are plenty of decent honest people and then there are plenty out to make a quick buck.

I love your point at the end. So you presume the same thing isn't going on in Ireland? Don't be naieve, of course it is.

And I know plenty of Irish people who source dogs and stud dogs from the UK for showing.

Advertisement