Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Show me your DDR

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭MedalFuhrer

Fuinseog wrote: »
    if you go over again there is plenty to see outside of Berlin. fewer tourists as well. Dresden has an army museum. Leipzig has a Stasi museum.

Yes would like to visit Leipzig as well as other surrounding areas. Would like to spent more time in Berlin itself too. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭HerrScheisse

Good ole uncle Erich :pac:

If you are curious on sizes, the one on the left is SG or very big, the one on the right is K or "Kurz" meaning "short" or more colloquially - stumpy.

In Bronze, Silver and Gold :)

DSC_0092-1.jpg

DSC_0095.jpg

DSC_0081.jpg

DSC_0082.jpg

DSC_0054-4.jpg

• Advertisement

DSC_0043.jpg

DSC_0050-1.jpg

DSC_0045-1.jpg

DSC_0088.jpg

DSC_0083-1.jpg

• Advertisement

The visitor ticket has the same shape as the awards above and is made of cloth material.

DSC_0155-1.jpg

DSC_0072-2.jpg

DSC_0071-2.jpg

DSC_0073-4.jpg

DSC_0015-3.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Those are excellent & sounds like a productive trip ! Very well photographed too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

I agree. Great photos!
    DSC_0081.jpg

DSC_0082.jpg

Do you know anything about this badge? I don't think it's a Bester (Bestenabzeichen) badge, but maybe it is. It doesn't appear in my awards reference book (printed 1979).

I must put some photos up myself at some stage!

I wonder did people actually wear these in public? And how many were disposed off after the wall came down?

DSC_0031.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

Long service in bronze, silver and gold. Service medal in bronze and silver.

DSC_0081.jpg

DSC_0082.jpg

DSC_0087.jpg

DSC_0054.jpg

DSC_0055.jpg

I wonder did people actually wear these in public? And how many were disposed off after the wall came down?

My understanding would be that many "fervent" supporters of the Grenztruppen would have been so in the hope of appeasing the authorities so that their village and farmhouses, located close to the border, would not be bulldozed, resulting in them being forcibly rehomed. Others may have had other motivations, of course.

• Advertisement

Same as Above
    DSC_0064.jpg

SED badge with profiles of Marx, Engels and Lenin:
    DSC_0042.jpg

SED enamel party pin type lapel badge:
    DSC_0033.jpg

Later SED polyester party screw type lapel badge:
    DSC_0050.jpg

DSC_0052.jpg

DSC_0051.jpg

Little Alex I took more photos that night so I would appreciate anything else that you can tell me about them.
    What do these numbers mean? Are any of them a date?
    The boots have been re-soled and re-healed at some stage.

DSC_0563.jpg

The stamp in front of the 7 looks like it might say "Weitschaft", which means they are wide-fitting.

See here for more details on the different stamps.
    My boots are different to yours!

Mine have:

- different soles, not hard brown leather like the ones above.
    - the sole does not extend as much around the edge of the shoe.
    - the shape of the foot is slightly different.

There are some official markings on the inside, and some handwriting, if I am not mistaken, possibly the name of the original owner.

Any opinions on these parade ground stompers?

DSC_0004-2.jpg

They're glossy parade boots. Probably is the owner's name written inside.

DSC_0073.jpg

For those chilly days and nights. NVA winter hat.
    DSC_0065.jpg

Anything interesting in the rolled-up newspaper?
    A "schlagstock" or whacking stick. A simple but effective tool of oppression and control used by The People's Police and prison guards. Also will be used if my dog takes my hat again! ;-)

Aw! He doesn't look like a disobedient dog at all! You'll need to get yourself the dog handler badge, by the way.
    Stasi jacket shoulder boards.
    DSC_0044.jpg
    DSC_0015-3.jpg

You're both second year officer cadets! Wiesler and Grubitz: who is who? :pac:
    DSC_0072-2.jpg

DSC_0071-2.jpg

DSC_0073-4.jpg

This badge comes with a blue or white background. The blue one was awarded by a civilian university (I think) and the white one is from the Stasi's own academy in Potsdam-Eiche.

Wiesler wears the white one while Grubitz chooses not to wear his. Grubitz wears his ribbon bar, whereas Wiesler doesn't. I guess you didn't have to wear your decorations???

Yours looks like the old version. The newer ones have a softish, bulging polyester coat on them.

Thanks Little Alex- that is actually interesting reading (in a boot lovers way!). Great info to have. Thanks! So from that my boots weren't actually resoled, the top leather sole that I presumed was a resole is actually they way that they are meant to be. And teh are definitely parade boots. I was wondering how they were so unused but yet were resoled. So they weren't! :)
    I didn't actually look at the newpaper padding in the cap yet. I was thinking that it was probably just a random paper but I will remove it to see if there is a date or anything interesting on it. Good question!

Second year officer cadets- interesting! Still have a way to go so! Wiesler and Grubitz! :-) Again another good question! :D

My Stasi Academy badge, but unfortunately the enamel is damaged and cracked.
    DSC_0040.jpg

DSC_0034.jpg

DSC_0024.jpg

DSC_0027.jpg

DSC_0028.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0006b.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg