Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

AR/tist in the spotlight, this week: ultrapercy

• 17-11-2014 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭

Many thanks to Timmaay who stepped up last week to give us some great insights and answers. This week we are moving to the other end of the distance spectrum as ultrapercy has kindly agreed to take questions over the next week or so. Anyone who follows his log will know he is one of the top runners on the whole forum, a regular race winner with some extremely impressive PB's. He has detailed his efforts of trying to crack the magical 2.30 barrier in the marathon, with all the ups and downs that go along with that. So I'll get us started:

When did you first take up running?
    Were you always drawn to the longer stuff or did you ever compete in the middle distances?
    Are you coached or self coached?
    Greatest attribute a successful long distance runner needs?
    Can you tell us a little more about Mayo AC?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

pconn062 wrote: »
    Many thanks to Timmaay who stepped up last week to give us some great insights and answers. This week we are moving to the other end of the distance spectrum as ultrapercy has kindly agreed to take questions over the next week or so. Anyone who follows his log will know he is one of the top runners on the whole forum, a regular race winner with some extremely impressive PB's. He has detailed his efforts of trying to crack the magical 2.30 barrier in the marathon, with all the ups and downs that go along with that. So I'll get us started:

When did you first take up running?
    Were you always drawn to the longer stuff or did you ever compete in the middle distances?
    Are you coached or self coached?
    Greatest attribute a successful long distance runner needs?
    Can you tell us a little more about Mayo AC?

Thanks!

Thanks for the nomination. It will be hard to follow Timmay, who was very interesting and detailed but here goes.
    I started running at 19. I never ran in school, I was very overweight as a child and early teenager. I addressed the weight issue to some extent through diet but was still overweight when I left college. I started training with my local soccer club. They were very successfull and trained hard and I went from very unfit to the fittest there very quickly, by the end of that season I was flying and really enjoyed it. I then started to run a 2.8 mile loop on the road where I lived (at night so I wouldnt be spotted) these runs were always ran as hard as I could push it.In 1996 I decided to run the Dublin Marathon influenced by some neighbouring lads who had run it for Charity in the 80s and early 90s.
    I suppose because of the way I was introduced to the sport distance was always going to be my focus.I thought the marathon was the ultimate test of fitness because I knew nothing different. Also I believed I was dead slow, because of my soccer training experience, so would have seen short events as "Too fast for me". I carried that believe with me most of my running life and only recently realised that Im not as lacking in speed as I thought I was.If I had come to the sport through the club scene and been introduced to shorter events and proper structured training from the start I may have had an entirely different focus and sometimes I do wonder how that would have developed.
    I have been coached since the beginning of this year and have found it very interesting and helpful. Its a real eye opener for me though I found it hard to change my ways to start with. Its something I wish I had done sooner to be honest and Its something I would recommend to any runner of any level who is eager to improve.
    Mayo AC was, until recently, the only senior club in Mayo. We were formed in 1987 as an amalgamation of a a few clubs so we could have an opportunity to have teams be competitive at National level. The recent running boom has seen the revival of a number of senior clubs in Mayo and that is a healthy thing I believe. Most of those clubs were very active anyway at juvenile level. We have 200 plus members now but no base and no under age athletes which is a worry. We had a lot of success over the years in Cross Country ans Road Championships. Our women as individuals and teams have delivered a lot of the glory over the years, Ann Lennon won the National Marathon Championship in 2002 and is our most successful senior runner. The women won bronze at the European Club Championship in Almerim in 2011, which is probably our clubs proudest moment. We also have a very active and successful Masters element within the club that has been a Conveyor belt of silverware over the years and 5 of our members are on the Irish team running in the 5 Nations Cross Country in Nottingham this weekend. We just last week got a huge boost when Sinead Diver, a 2:34 marathon runner originally from Belmullett but domiciled in Austrailia, joined us. Its probably unlikely that she will compete in the Mayo AC vest very often but its brilliant to have someone of her calibre as a member.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Is there any particular race performance your most proud of and why?
    What benefit do you think you get from posting on Boards?
    Best piece of advice you have ever received running/non-running?
    Biggest/toughest rival on road race circuit?
    Favorite beer?

tang1 wrote: »
    Is there any particular race performance your most proud of and why?
    What benefit do you think you get from posting on Boards?
    Best piece of advice you have ever received running/non-running?
    Biggest/toughest rival on road race circuit?
    Favorite beer?

I suppose the performance Im most proud of are Ultra races. I ran 7:09:33 for 3rd in The Anglo Celtic plate 100k in 2011 having spent the previous night getting sick with a migrane. I honestly thought I wouldnt be able to start let alone finish. I only got 1 hour of bad sleep and felt very fragile on the start line but once I got going I felt great and it was one of those days where nothing went wrong and it never felt tough.
    The World Trophy 50k Was another pleasing race, I finished 5th in 3:09:54 in very windy warm conditions. I had to dig deeper than I ever had before and even tho it was 2 minutes outside my PB it was a PB performance.
    I think there are some very informative posters and threads on boards and its often the first place Il hear of results races or big athletic stories. The logs are very interesting too and its intriguing to read the different training at different levels.
    Best piece of advice: "you wouldnt worry so much what people thought of you if you new how rarely they did" or "if your waiting for a day you feel good to do speedwork you will never do it".
    When I was in good shape over 10k or HM I used to have some savage battles with Paul Buckley from Ferbane. Matt Bidwell is another who wont accept he is beat, both gentlemen but fierce competitors.
    Guinness is my favourite beer and its not a very close contest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Good choice..

Whats a typical training week for you ?
    Key session for the marathon what would it be ?
    Do you train all year round or take a break and stop running?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

1) The IOC have allocated 1 event from Ultrarunning to be included on the Olympic Programme, and have asked you to decide on which one. With the view of showcasing ultrarunning to the wider sporting public, which event/distance do you choose and why?

2) Do you ever foresee ultrarunning being included in the Olympic Games? Is this a goal among the various governing bodies of ultrarunning around the world?

3) What sort of speed sessions do you do?

4) Do you incorporate core/ gym/ weights/ strength work into your training? How often, and what types of exercises?

5) What's your mile PB?

6) There seems to be a natural progression by many new runners of couch --> 5k --> 10k --> Half Marathon --> Marathon --> Ultrarunning, without any real emphasis at getting faster at the shorter distances first before doing the Jerry Kiernan and moving up. What are your opinions on newbie runners taking on the marathon, and ultra distances so soon?

7) Do you watch elite level track and field? Favourite Irish moment and favourite international moment?

8) Jerry Kiernan or Tony Mangan?

9) What's the most inspiring place you have run in the world? What places are at the top of your bucket list?
    ultrapercy wrote: »
    We just last week got a huge boost when Sinead Diver, a 2:34 marathon runner originally from Belmullett but domiciled in Austrailia, joined us. Its probably unlikely that she will compete in the Mayo AC vest very often but its brilliant to have someone of her calibre as a member.

I didn't realise this. Great news for Irish Athletics in general. Now that she is registered with an Irish club she is eligible to represent Ireland, if she so chooses to go down that path. She obviously has options available with regards international competition. I think her story is inspiring and AAI should do everything in their power to get her running for Ireland. Stories like hers sell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

What is your 5K PB and how fast do you think you could go if you focused on it?

What can you tell us about your coach, how did you link up with him, what has he changed about your training?

Where do you do most of your training roads/grass/trail/track ?

Have you ran any international master events, or would you in the future?
    What running events are on your bucket list?

If you were head of Athletics Ireland for a week, what would you change?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

How much attention do you give to diet?
    Has the way you train changed much in the past ten/ fifteen years?
    Do you think there is a confidence issue with runners, regarding the point you made about speed, with respect to moving down to shorter distances on track such as 800m/ 1500m where speed is more of a factor? Or do you think people just prefer longer distances.
    Do you think running clubs need to invest more in facilities?
    Would you miss Christmas dinner to go out on a long run?

Well done to Mayo AC, really impressed with the list of achievements.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    1) The IOC have allocated 1 event from Ultrarunning to be included on the Olympic Programme, and have asked you to decide on which one. With the view of showcasing ultrarunning to the wider sporting public, which event/distance do you choose and why?

2) Do you ever foresee ultrarunning being included in the Olympic Games? Is this a goal among the various governing bodies of ultrarunning around the world?

4) Do you incorporate core/ gym/ weights/ strength work into your training? How often, and what types of exercises?

5) What's your mile PB?

6) There seems to be a natural progression by many new runners of couch --> 5k --> 10k --> Half Marathon --> Marathon --> Ultrarunning, without any real emphasis at getting faster at the shorter distances first before doing the Jerry Kiernan and moving up. What are your opinions on newbie runners taking on the marathon, and ultra distances so soon?

7) Do you watch elite level track and field? Favourite Irish moment and favourite international moment?

9) What's the most inspiring place you have run in the world? What places are at the top of your bucket list?

I didn't realise this. Great news for Irish Athletics in general. Now that she is registered with an Irish club she is eligible to represent Ireland, if she so chooses to go down that path. She obviously has options available with regards international competition. I think her story is inspiring and AAI should do everything in their power to get her running for Ireland. Stories like hers sell.

We were aware of Sinead Diver through an article in our local paper but it was your recent interview with her that initiated the move to get her to join us. Thank you for that. You have asked some very good questions that Id like to consider properly so Il delay answering them until Ive given some thought.

youngrun wrote: »
    Good choice..

Whats a typical training week for you ?
    Key session for the marathon what would it be ?
    Do you train all year round or take a break and stop running?

I average 65 or 70 miles a week all year, I dont take a break. Some weeks are higher some lower but I clock 3200 to 3500 miles every year. I rarely take more than 1 day off at a time although post marathon I can take 3 to 5 days off.
    Key marathon session for me is a long run with something like 4 x 5k at mp. in the build up to 50 races I used to do a 16 mile midweek session of 5k (sub17) 5x 1k (3:10) 5k (sub 17) 1k float (4:10) between 5k and 1k and 500m float between the 1 ks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

We were aware of Sinead Diver through an article in our local paper but it was your recent interview with her that initiated the move to get her to join us. Thank you for that. You have asked some very good questions that Id like to consider properly so Il delay answering them until Ive given some thought.

Fantastic. Delighted some good has come out of it.

• Advertisement

dna_leri wrote: »
    What is your 5K PB and how fast do you think you could go if you focused on it?

What can you tell us about your coach, how did you link up with him, what has he changed about your training?

Where do you do most of your training roads/grass/trail/track ?

Have you ran any international master events, or would you in the future?
    What running events are on your bucket list?

If you were head of Athletics Ireland for a week, what would you change?

My 5k pb is 15:09 in Rathfarnham from 2008. Its a very fast course but I was running 15:20 tru 5k in a 4 mile race so it probably holds up. Im not sure I could have ran much quicker to be honest. Its nice to say "I could have run 14:xx " but talk is cheap and the times you run are all that count really not coulda shoulda woulda. I do all my training on the road or on local cinder tracks. I never ran master international events but I would love to. So far the timing hasnt been right, thats the problem with marathon obsession!!
    I think the AAI could be more respectful towards the ordinary club athlete that make up the main body of their membership. The FAI get a lot of flack but in my experience they are miles ahead of the AAI in how they operate at grass root level. I think the AAI are making an effort to change and thats admirable,I dont want to be too critical because a lot of the organisation is volunteery and they do their best in sometimes challenging circumstances.

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    How much attention do you give to diet?
    Has the way you train changed much in the past ten/ fifteen years?
    Do you think there is a confidence issue with runners, regarding the point you made about speed, with respect to moving down to shorter distances on track such as 800m/ 1500m where speed is more of a factor? Or do you think people just prefer longer distances.
    Do you think running clubs need to invest more in facilities?
    Would you miss Christmas dinner to go out on a long run?

Well done to Mayo AC, really impressed with the list of achievements.

I pay almost no attention whatsoever to my diet. It something Im always threatening to address but never get round to it. I believe as I get older it will become more important. I do believe that we eat too much processed carbohydrates but I would never go the paleo route.
    I dont like to comment too much on the choices of other adults, I mean if someone wants to run a marathon or only marathons why should that bother me. I would say though that I would have liked to develop upwards as in start at the shorter track events developing whatever speed I did have before moving upwards.My first 2 races were marathons and I was only 21 when I ran my first one.The latest "running boom" is mostly a recreational boom rather than a renewed interest in the sport of athletics. Most of the entry level runners now are 20s or 30s and have no real interest in the sport itself as such. They follow what their friends are doing which is usually distance and the marathon is seen as the ultimate goal. There is huge enjoyment and satisfaction to be had from shorter distance,track XC etc and the AAI could try to get these entry level or F4L runners to experience that. Its a tough one though because as I said adults make their own minds up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Enduro

You haven't competed in an ultra race for a while (AFAIK)... Are you going to resume your ultra career anytime soon?

What do you think your best distance is?

I'm really enjoying this thread, but I'm finding it impossible to think of an overweight version of you :)

Enduro wrote: »
    You haven't competed in an ultra race for a while (AFAIK)... Are you going to resume your ultra career anytime soon?

What do you think your best distance is?

I'm really enjoying this thread, but I'm finding it impossible to think of an overweight version of you :)

I have been concentrating on the sub 2:30 attempt recently but Ultra is something I love and really miss. The people I have met alone make it so worthwhile. I still have big ambitions (for me) in Ultra running and hope to get back to 100k and 50k soon and run a 24 hour race in the medium term. As we found out trail running isnt for me!! but the road Ultras are something I love particularly the Donadea 50k.
    I think Half Marathon and 50k are my best distance, I seem to have a blind spot with the marathon.
    Hard as it may( or may not be) to imagine a fat version of me my uncle used to call me Billy Bunter. At 13 I had a 38 inch waist and an inside leg of 28, Id say the BMI calculation might read morbidly obese.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Enduro

Really glad to hear that! You're definitely missed in the ultra world. Hurry up and nail that sub 2:30 :)

(FWIW, My own opinion is that your 100km is your standout PB, and is probably your best distance. Sub 7 looks to be a great target there!!)

Those figures are unbelievable. That's some transformation.

What are your favourite sports to watch?
    Do you have a list of sporting heros? And similarly, non-sporting heroes?

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

Hard as it may( or may not be) to imagine a fat version of me my uncle used to call me Billy Bunter. At 13 I had a 38 inch waist and an inside leg of 28, Id say the BMI calculation might read morbidly obese.

We want a photo

1) ultrapercy to run sub 2.30 or Mayo to win the all Ireland?
    2) Do you do all your training alone?
    3) Favourite racing and training shoe?
    4) Outside of the Olympics or big marquee events do you watch athletics?
    5) Have you ever ran the nationals on track?
    6) Any races on your bucket list?
    7) Without giving away personal details, is your coach from your club or someone external who you approached?

Enduro wrote: »
    Really glad to hear that! You're definitely missed in the ultra world. Hurry up and nail that sub 2:30 :)

(FWIW, My own opinion is that your 100km is your standout PB, and is probably your best distance. Sub 7 looks to be a great target there!!)

Those figures are unbelievable. That's some transformation.

What are your favourite sports to watch?
    Do you have a list of sporting heros? And similarly, non-sporting heroes?

As Ive got older Ive become more and more disillusioned with professional sports stars. The more money and fame they achieve the more detached they seem from reality and the people who pay their ridiculous wages. I watch almost all sports on TV but not nearly as avidly as I once did. I cant sit through a full soccer match now. I have come full circle and GAA is my new favourite sport to watch. The fact the top players are amature and still grounded (most of them anyhow) appeals to me. The over hype of sports on SKY etc gives me a pain in my hole, yesterday there was a 30 minute programme about a fight next week. The 2 boxers faced each other and abused and insulted each other when the fight is over and they divide up their millions they will hug and kiss each other and declare how much mutual respect they have for each other. Its just marketing. Same with "sky super sunday" where villa bore their way to a 0-0 draw with Sunderland and the pundits tell us how privileged we are to pay to see it.
    All that said I dont think any of our top Irish athletes get enough credit. Ireland doesnt produce many best in the world sports people and for 4 years Sonia was that. Mark Carroll is another hero of mine mainly because outside athletic circles he is unknown.

We want a photo

1) ultrapercy to run sub 2.30 or Mayo to win the all Ireland?
    2) Do you do all your training alone?
    3) Favourite racing and training shoe?
    4) Outside of the Olympics or big marquee events do you watch athletics?
    5) Have you ever ran the nationals on track?
    6) Any races on your bucket list?
    7) Without giving away personal details, is your coach from your club or someone external who you approached?

Its going to sound very selfish and self absorbed but I must be honest and admit that running sub 2:30 would win hands down over Mayo winning AI. Hopefully 2016 will see both happen. The new management have a tough task to refresh the existing tight nit group without disrupting it too much.
    I do almost all training alone but I had company in a lot of long runs leading up to Dublin this year from a friend of mine who ran just over 3 hours. When doing the 30 mile plus runs for ultra I recruit some friends to run 10 mile legs with me to break it up.
    I watch any athletics thats on TV regardless of what type or standard but my knowledge of the sport isnt great, I like to watch it but dont seem to absorb the information any more. When I was a kid I had a mastermind knowledge of sports I followed, I used to think Jimmy Magee was a con man.
    Nike Pegasus are the shoe Ive bought most often but I wear anything. I really liked the old addios racing shoe but not new one so much.
    I have never ran national senior and I regret not trying it when I was going really well. In 2006 I was entered and set to travel, I even missed a mates wedding to go, but got sic the evening before. I was pissed off about that one.
    There are lots of races Id like to do New york marathon and London marathon are obvious ones that most runners have on their list. Id love to do the sparthatlon eventually but more immediately I want to give 100k a good go. I have 24 hours in my head but I dont think It would suit me, theres only one way to find out I suppose.
    I got in contact with my coach after a google search of coaches. Hes a prominent coach involved with the AAI and coaches one of Irelands best Athletes (apart from me!!)

Chivito550 wrote: »

5) What's your mile PB?

1. I think it would be very difficult to pick one event to showcase ultrarunning as a whole. Ultra is almost as diverse as the sport of T&F. Ultra is in my opinion a very unfortunate an lazy description of anything longer than 26.2 miles. There is no comparison, for instance, between 50k on the road and 24 hour racing or between anything on the road and a trail race. Id love to see a trail ultra in the Olympics but Im not sure TV could do it justice. I competed in The World Trail Championships in Connemara a few years ago(a race I couldnt finish because it was too tough for me) and it inspired and amazed me how people could cover ground like Ben Bann at the speeds they did.
    2. I dont know if Ultra will ever be in the Olympics I dont know if its even an ambition of the IAU.In my opinion there are some sports in the Olympics now that devalue it. Any sport where an Olympic Gold medal is not the top achievement should not be there, for me football, tennis, golf and many others should be ditched. I think an Ultra trail race would tap into the heritage and ethos of the ancient Olympics, better than Rugby sevens anyhow.
    3.I do a lot of core work and from time to time I lift weights. Its all self coached tho and Im not sure how effective it is. I often think about getting help but never get around to it. My staple speed sessions over the years were 4x 1mile as close to 5 as I could get usually done on an undulating stretch of road near my house.6 x1k, 8x800 etc I always took fairly short recoveries 60-90 secs if I wait too long between reps I lose the motivation to complete the session.
    4. I didnt run too many mile races, something I now regret but I ran 4:29 in 2008 or 2006. An incredibly painfull experience with the last lap alone seeming as long as the 100k I ran in Scotland.
    5. my favourite Irish Athletics memory is John Treacy winning silver in LA in 1984. I was 9 and my mother woke me up in the early hours to watch the second half of the race. I remember leaving a night club in Castlebar to watch Sonias Atlanta meltdown through the window of an electrical store that had left a TV on. I wouldnt say that was a favourite memory but the happenings of that summer will live forever with me. Its a shame because it seems all the good memories of Sonia can sometimes be outweighed by the few bad/sad ones but she was certainly dramatic and never dull, Irelands best ever sports person IMO.
    6. I have never met Tony or Jerry but I have great respect for both as athletes. As a pundit Jerry gets on my wick but thats true of almost all pundits. I think he follows the Dunphy motto of "it doesnt matter what you say so long as its controversial". Tony has a few world records to his name and that is amazing, not many Irish people achieve best ever performances in anything. As for his World Jog I dont really see that as an athletic acheivement but rather a very personal crusade that he had the balls to complete. I admire him for having the courage and passion to follow his dream I certainly couldnt do what he did. I cant choose between the two or even compare the two but I think they are cut from the same block, driven confident passionate courageous and not too bothered what anyone else thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

From what I have read in your log, your wife/partner is also a very good runner. Do you ever train together?

15.09 is very impressive running for 5k, do you have any ambitions left when is comes to shorter distances like 5/10k?

What is the road racing scene like in the West? Is it booming like in other parts of the country?

I've seen you mention the difficulties of the conditions you sometimes have to face with the weather in the west? How much of an impact does this have on your training?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Hi Ultrapercy,

If you could go back in time and re-run a race again, which race would it be and why?

The marathon talk one, with 6 months of perfect training from now, what time do you think you could run a mile in?

Outside of training what are the most important factors to making up an overall athlete?

Are there any of these that you can/could improve on, or maybe why you feel you can't?

Why are the times being run by elite Irish male marathon runners now much slower than they were back in the 80's?

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

Posters on here might not realise but you are quite the superstar in Mayo. I remember you winning Sportsperson of the year on at least one occasion and are a regular winner of the sportstar of the month award. That's quite an achievement in a county that only really recognises one sport! Do you feel those accolades drive you on or are they just "nice to have" achievements?

Do you ever do Parkrun in Castlebar/Westport?

Next big achiever in the Mayo AC (apart from Sinead Diver!)?

Mayo is a big county and Mayo AC has runners from all over the county. Do ye ever have group sessions and if so, where do ye do them?

If you had the choice to play with Mayo and possibly win an AL or run a 2:16 and qualify for the Olympics, which would you take?

pconn062 wrote: »
    From what I have read in your log, your wife/partner is also a very good runner. Do you ever train together?

15.09 is very impressive running for 5k, do you have any ambitions left when is comes to shorter distances like 5/10k?

What is the road racing scene like in the West? Is it booming like in other parts of the country?

I've seen you mention the difficulties of the conditions you sometimes have to face with the weather in the west? How much of an impact does this have on your training?

My GF, Sarah is a very solid runner with a 39:33 10 road pb and a 3:13 marathon. We often go to various locations to train but dont often actually train together. We have done a few easy runs and parts of long runs together.
    I was happy with that 5k pb but its so close to sub 15 its a nearly. I have a lot of nearly PBs 70:39 HM 2:31:50 marathon 7:09 100k sometimes it can seem like the clock is teasing me. Id love to improve my shorter distatance times but at this stage I feel I would have to concentrate on each one for a full training cycle and I have to prioritise my goals.
    The running scene in the west is like it is nationally, there are a lot of people running for recreation and fitness but dont really see themselves as participating in a sport. That is a major problem for Athletics as a sport I believe. Every junior B footballer sees themselves as a footballer but not every runner sees themselves as athletes. Capturing the imagination of the entry level runner and getting them to commit to their club the way GAA Soccer and Rugby can with their entry level people would be a big leap forward for Athletics.
    I dont usually moan about weather because I really like running in all types of conditions. Last spring was an exception though, it was 3 months of unrelenting misery. In 3 months I didnt get one day where I didnt get soaked or blown off the road, and I mean not even one.In 20 years it was the first time the weather got to me. The build up to Dublin on the other hand was the best Ive ever trained in.In general we are lucky in this country because we rarely encounter weather that stops us running.

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Hi Ultrapercy,

If you could go back in time and re-run a race again, which race would it be and why?

The marathon talk one, with 6 months of perfect training from now, what time do you think you could run a mile in?

Outside of training what are the most important factors to making up an overall athlete?

Are there any of these that you can/could improve on, or maybe why you feel you can't?

Why are the times being run by elite Irish male marathon runners now much slower than they were back in the 80's?

If I could go back in time I would finish The World Ultra Trail Championship that I dropped out of in Connemara. No matter what I achieve in the future Il never finish that race. I could have gone on but I had lost it mentally, lost motivation,had gotten cold and the lure of a seat at the 40k check point combined with the vista of Ben Bann in front of me broke my resolve. Its a major regret.
    At nearly 40 Im not sure I could run very fast over a mile. By normal standards my pb 4:29 is fast for me and every second in a mile race is an amount of work. Im going to say I believe I could run 4X 64 sec 400s so with 6 months maybe sub 4:20 but maybe not.
    I think in running and in life in general the most important and useful characteristic is persistence. If you keep trying eventually you succeed, within the parameters of your own abilities.
    Regarding the present situation with elite marathon running in Ireland Im not sure I know but participation in elite athletics is a factor. Back in the 80s every rural village and town had a sports day where people actually competed as opposed to participated.They might not have all been very talented but competition was an ethos and striving to do better was what mattered. It seems to me that competition has become something of a dirty word or a taboo subject.It takes a bit of guts to try really hard at something and still not be very good, which is what all of us who run do, but thats the nature of athletics it lays you bare. In other sports there is no exact evaluation of the individual but athletics is measured in minutes, seconds, meters and centimeters. To succeed in running you must accept that you will most likely fail and thats not something many people can accept.The draw of GAA particularly but also soccer and rugby attract much of the young athletic talent, they use what they need and the surplus are cast aside to return to sport when their best years for development are behind them. The current running boom is fantastic from a "health of the nation" point of view and also from a social point of view but I dont think the AAI should be concerned with the average BMI. To sum up what Im rambling on about: the children/teens are playing GAA, not enough 20 plus people are motivated by hard training and racing due to other distractions and the 30 plus dont have the time. Lets not forget though that marathon times are on the upward trend again so maybe its a generational thing.

Cleanman wrote: »
    Posters on here might not realise but you are quite the superstar in Mayo. I remember you winning Sportsperson of the year on at least one occasion and are a regular winner of the sportstar of the month award. That's quite an achievement in a county that only really recognises one sport! Do you feel those accolades drive you on or are they just "nice to have" achievements?

Do you ever do Parkrun in Castlebar/Westport?

Next big achiever in the Mayo AC (apart from Sinead Diver!)?

Mayo is a big county and Mayo AC has runners from all over the county. Do ye ever have group sessions and if so, where do ye do them?

If you had the choice to play with Mayo and possibly win an AL or run a 2:16 and qualify for the Olympics, which would you take?
    I think superstar might be just a tad overstating it! I have won two Western People awards and they definitely mean a lot to me. I was very lucky as on the two occasions I recieved the award the guests were Paul McGrath and Kevin Kilbane, two people who I really admire. McGraths humble nature is well documented and he was as nice in person as the reports suggested he would be. Kilbane was training for the London Marathon when he was guest at the awards and to be honest I had to make excuses to get away from such was his interest but he gave everyone the same time, a real gentleman.
    Nobody trains to win awards but they are nice and you have to respect that people have gone to the trouble of nominating you and choosing you and thats what makes them special.
    I have ran both parkruns twice. The Castlebar course must be one of the toughest parkruns in the country. I have the quicest time run on both so far and I check that the records are still there every week, thats sad I know but....
    As I have said Mayo ac dont have an under age structure so we dont develop talent that way so its always hard to predict where the front runners of the short term future will come from. The beauty of the sport is how quickly previously untapped potential can come to the fore with the proper training. Someone leaving the couch this winter to join F4L group could be running internationaly next year, you never know.
    The club is so spread out, over what is physically a huge county, so that its very difficult to organise group sessions. Groups do train together regionally tho in Claremorriss Castlebar and Ballyhaunis.
    Id take the Olympic Qualifier over the AI medal every time, its a matter of Global versus parochial. Nobody in Brazil knows who Sam Maguire is. That isnt a slight at the GAA in fact I believe the parochial nature of the sport is its biggest appeal and asset but athletically qualifying for the Olympics is a much bigger achievement than an AI win, IMO. This is all very hypothetical anyway just in case you think Im getting carried away.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

I think superstar might be just a tad overstating it! I have won two Western People awards and they definitely mean a lot to me. I was very lucky as on the two occasions I recieved the award the guests were Paul McGrath and Kevin Kilbane, two people who I really admire. McGraths humble nature is well documented and he was as nice in person as the reports suggested he would be. Kilbane was training for the London Marathon when he was guest at the awards and to be honest I had to make excuses to get away from such was his interest but he gave everyone the same time, a real gentleman.
    Nobody trains to win awards but they are nice and you have to respect that people have gone to the trouble of nominating you and choosing you and thats what makes them special.
    I have ran both parkruns twice. The Castlebar course must be one of the toughest parkruns in the country. I have the quicest time run on both so far and I check that the records are still there every week, thats sad I know but....
    As I have said Mayo ac dont have an under age structure so we dont develop talent that way so its always hard to predict where the front runners of the short term future will come from. The beauty of the sport is how quickly previously untapped potential can come to the fore with the proper training. Someone leaving the couch this winter to join F4L group could be running internationaly next year, you never know.
    The club is so spread out, over what is physically a huge county, so that its very difficult to organise group sessions. Groups do train together regionally tho in Claremorriss Castlebar and Ballyhaunis.
    Id take the Olympic Qualifier over the AI medal every time, its a matter of Global versus parochial. Nobody in Brazil knows who Sam Maguire is. That isnt a slight at the GAA in fact I believe the parochial nature of the sport is its biggest appeal and asset but athletically qualifying for the Olympics is a much bigger achievement than an AI win, IMO. This is all very hypothetical anyway just in case you think Im getting carried away.:)

I think it's mainly hurling in Brazil, isn't it. Strong Ennis connections.

Enjoying this thread, John. Great insights as always. I'm a bit disappointed you didn't mention me as the great hope if Mayo A.C though. ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭conavitzky

Hi ultraman. Some great honest answers here.
    1. What is the toughest cross country course you have run?
    2. How will you react when you reach the point where your race times start going in reverse?
    3. Can you see yourself running later on in life ala Tom Hunt?
    4. Do you ever have days when you question why you are going out for a run?
    5. Is the belleek 10k a pb course?
    6. Is running a form of addiction for you?
    7. What is the longest you were out injured, did you cross train and did it turn you into a psycho?

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

Cleanman wrote: »
    Next big achiever in the Mayo AC (apart from Sinead Diversnailsong, belcarra and SfM!)?

Fixed my own post snailsong! Apologies for the error:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Great thread and a great read.
    How quickly did your 5km times come down from starting running? Was it a slow burner or was the potential obvious pretty quickly?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭ECOLII

Interesting read

* If you could go back in time and talk to your 21 yr old self starting off;

- What is the one piece of advise you would give him?
    - What one mistake that you made would you tell him to avoid

* Most under-appreciated figure in Irish athletics?

* If you could win any Olympic event which would it be and why?

* In charge of AAI for one day, what changes would you implement

Advertisement