Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Airsoft Upgrades!?!

• 23-07-2006 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭

The limit for Airsoft guns in the Republic is going to be 1 joule. Which means we cant upgrade the guns at all or theyll be illegal. And if you wanted to go to Northern Ireland or Britan for a competition you'd be greatly out-matched! :mad: What do ye think? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭whupass

good point, but isn't the point of the name "airsoft" that they are soft and don't hurt much?

we can upgrad the gun as long as they stay under a joule, thing is i don't think the guards will be cronoing them or anything

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭IronWolf

Both Northern Ireland and the British Mainland also enforce the 1 Joule rule. Many airsoft guns fire at the 260-280 mark so upgrades are still necessary to bring them up towards the 328 mark.

Just because the Gardai may not chrono the guns on a regular basis does not make it ok to power them above the 328 mark Whupass ;)

i did not mean that at ALL when i said that i meant......let me think....oh yeah got one "we as law obiding citizens should take it as our own duty to chrono the guns ourselves in order to maintain our status as law obiding citizens" hows that?;) :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

As said the 1 joule limit applies to AEGs in the UK also, although single bolt action snipers are allowed higher somewhere in the region 500FPS if im not mistaken. A PDI 120% spring or similar will upgrade to around 330FPS. As 1 joule is the law I cant see any skirmish sites permitting any weapons above that. 1 joule is better then nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭-Strawbs-

whupass wrote:
    i did not mean that at ALL when i said that i meant......let me think....oh yeah got one "we as law obiding citizens should take it as our own duty to chrono the guns ourselves in order to maintain our status as law obiding citizens" hows that?;) :rolleyes:

Good Cover :cool:

Ya it is better to have 1 joule than nothing. But still it would be good to have that extra bit of power, you know. More range and accuracy. BANG! Sorry im getting carried away....

• Advertisement

it's ok to get carried away, every now and then when i think of owning my own p-90 i jump up and down like the little boy i am, well adulesant

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭KutjeBef

Its not recommended for a beginner to get a upgraded gun.
    You will know why, when you get shot by someone who plays for the first time and shoots you from a few feet away.

Also, if the guards finally get the 1J rule in their head, you can bet that they WILL chrono guns, just to try and catch people out as this is new to them as well.
    Which will give them more ammo against airsoft.

I know its exciting that its legal, just dont go overboard. :)

Cheers

KutjeBef wrote:
    Its not recommended for a beginner to get a upgraded gun.
    You will know why, when you get shot by someone who plays for the first time and shoots you from a few feet away.

Also, if the guards finally get the 1J rule in their head, you can bet that they WILL chrono guns, just to try and catch people out as this is new to them as well.
    Which will give them more ammo against airsoft.

I know its exciting that its legal, just dont go overboard. :)

Cheers

I actually saw a thing for reducing the power of the gun, not sure how it works but i think you slip it into the barrel, so if you saw a guard coming you could pop it in. Chances are anyway that guards are going to go around chronoing guns, unless you give them reson to, (shooting in public, ect.) They have betters things to do :cool:

Strawbs

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Isn't it standard practise in the US to have chronys at fields and for all players to be required to use them before a match and to adjust their marker to get the velocity down below a set limit?

(Certainly seems to be a recurring theme in The Whiteboard at any rate :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 bniall

B00MSTICK wrote:
    As said the 1 joule limit applies to AEGs in the UK also, although single bolt action snipers are allowed higher somewhere in the region 500FPS if im not mistaken. A PDI 120% spring or similar will upgrade to around 330FPS. As 1 joule is the law I cant see any skirmish sites permitting any weapons above that. 1 joule is better then nothing.

note that the UK is wrong it is only in certain sites in england. over in scotland, wales, northern ireland and ireland you require a firearms licence and you would not be able to use them at any site either

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 bniall

B00MSTICK wrote:

note that the UK is wrong it is only in certain sites in england allow a 500fps sniper or any gun. over in scotland, wales, northern ireland and ireland you require a firearms licence and you would not be able to use them at any site either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

guess I was mistaken then.

Sparks wrote:
    Isn't it standard practise in the US to have chronys at fields and for all players to be required to use them before a match and to adjust their marker to get the velocity down below a set limit?

(Certainly seems to be a recurring theme in The Whiteboard at any rate :D)

Em, The Whiteboard is about Paintball not Airsoft..... But i think in some airsoft sites in the UK and NI you have to chrono the guns aswell. Not everywhere though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Harekin

Also at competitions EVERY gun is chrono'd.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

-Strawbs- wrote:
    Em, The Whiteboard is about Paintball not Airsoft.....
    /me points to the title of the forum...

Sparks wrote:
    /me points to the title of the forum...

Ya, the forum is Paintball and Airsoft but this thread is just Airsoft

Advertisement