Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Running shorts with pocket big enough for smartphone?

Options
  • 23-11-2014 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭

Hi,

This is wrecking my head, I have one pair of running shorts with a bum pocket big enough to hold a smart phone (in its wallet case) in it, they area made by karrimore. I tried a good few shops trying to find another pair with a pocket big enough but no-one stocked them. Went online to karrimore and bought four pairs of what looked like the same shorts but turned out the pocket was much smaller. Emailed karrimore but they were unable to point me to a pair with a big pocket (quite annoying really).

So I now have regular tantrums with my pocket trying to squeeze the phone in and out once I've turned runkeeper on, getting the music to play again after phone calls received etc.

Can anyone recommend another pair that will hold my phone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭LaHaine

a148pro wrote: »
    Hi,

This is wrecking my head, I have one pair of running shorts with a bum pocket big enough to hold a smart phone (in its wallet case) in it, they area made by karrimore. I tried a good few shops trying to find another pair with a pocket big enough but no-one stocked them. Went online to karrimore and bought four pairs of what looked like the same shorts but turned out the pocket was much smaller. Emailed karrimore but they were unable to point me to a pair with a big pocket (quite annoying really).

So I now have regular tantrums with my pocket trying to squeeze the phone in and out once I've turned runkeeper on, getting the music to play again after phone calls received etc.

Can anyone recommend another pair that will hold my phone?

Maybe try an armband instead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Lidl's running bottoms have pockets in the back big enough for my phone (Samsung galaxy 2 ao its quite big) and I got a pair of Nike ones yesterday that hold it too. I always have to take it out of the wallet though.

I never mess with it once im off. ..once it goes into the pocket it stays there till I'm done. If you're going to be accessing your phone while you're out...would those earphones that control your phone be worth getting?

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭DarByrne1980

armband is the best job in my opinioin. At least its out of the way and u can use headfones no bother from the armband.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Thanks lads. I can't take to the armbands though, just doesn't feel natural to me. I have an app that reads texts and automatically mutes music for calls and then plays it again afterwards but, being android, it doesn't always work.

I usually run a mile from discount store sports gear but would try lidl if I can't get something else.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I use SPI Belts for carrying everything from gels to phones to insulin pumps when doing a very mucky race where becoming detached from the device on falling in a ditch is a possibility. They don't move and you can get all phones in them or loads of gels so I have several belts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭ger664

Maybe try leaving all the technology at home and go out and just run, no phone no watch no how fast/slow am i going app.

Just Run and enjoy the freedom of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

Meno wears a fannypack! Way to go if you've lost any self respect ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Meno wears a fannypack! Way to go if you've lost any self respect ;)

100% best purchase ever. 5 years and still going. Also use it to carry gels in marathons

il_340x270.637383333_syax.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

+ 1 on the spibelt.

Though I recently got a UP one that takes a Galaxy S4 no problem and has gel loops too.

• Advertisement

AKW wrote: »
    + 1 on the spibelt.

Though I recently got a UP one that takes a Galaxy S4 no problem and has gel loops too.

Mine is not a spibelt, just one of the standard 'Fanny Packs' that you pick up in the airport. They hold a lot more than your standard running belt and a lot cheaper.

menoscemo wrote: »
    Mine is not a spibelt, just one of the standard 'Fanny Packs' that you pick up in the airport. They hold a lot more than your standard running belt and a lot cheaper.

I have one of the fanny packs too, handy for loo roll, gels, phone, sink... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Arm band is the best way, u get them on grabone really cheap after xmas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

Where do I get one of these SPI belts, or is it just an online phenomenon?

The picture is not a spibelt, it's a normal money belt/Fanny pack/Bumbag. You can generally get them anywhere that sells luggage etc. Shouldn't cost more than a tenner.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

You'll find them on Wiggle or Amazon now, and variations on the theme by other manufacturers in pretty much any running shop.

http://www.spibelt.com/products/spibelt

menoscemo wrote: »
    The picture is not a spibelt,

Sorry I may have caused this confusion. A Spibelt was mentioned up top in a post and I commented after your bum bag appeared.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭shane1981

Can't stand running with phone attached to arm myself.
    I had been using an ifitness belt for years but lost it at after this years DCM. I've replaced it with one of these:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Friendly-Swede-Pocket-Running/dp/B00L34SOKU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1416850257&sr=8-2&keywords=running+belt
    I just clip it around my shorts and under my t-shirt. Comfy enough that you forget its on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Thanks lads, lots of suggestions there, I've tried running with a money belt before and it was a bit annoying because it would move or put pressure on my lower belly, but might consider one of the fancier belts above, if I can't find a short pocket that will do me

I kind of need the phone for work and do a reasonable amount of running during work hours, also I love listening to music if running alone, don't really GPS track that often as the results are too depressing these days!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭HelgaWard

I got a flipbelt before DCM, google it, great job and very discreet, just looks like it is the waistband on your shorts. I bought online.

• Advertisement

HelgaWard wrote: »
    I got a flipbelt before DCM, google it, great job and very discreet, just looks like it is the waistband on your shorts. I bought online.

I saw this at the expo, I didn't buy one at the time because it looked like it might be very warm and would move a lot - I'm a woman with big hips/small waste so wasn't sure if it would suit.

Do you find it moves about?

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭HelgaWard

I got a size small, I'd be a 10 on bottom, it does not budge at all. I didn't actually flip it over to put the slots on the inside, because I need to get gels out of it during the run and it still did not budge. I didn't find it added to my overall warmth at all, but I did put my phone in a little plastic sandwich bag just to prevent moisture damaging the phone.!! Wore it for my last about 3/4 long runs before the marathon and then for the marathon itself. I wear it just going for short runs now, handy for key and phone. Great purchase!!

Thanks for that, I might invest so!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

I purchased a pair of running shorts for the DCM which had pockets big enough for a smartphone. However the lightweight material of the shorts and pockets meant it was bouncing around too much during my training runs.

I think this is always going to be a problem with running shorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

ger664 wrote: »
    Maybe try leaving all the technology at home and go out and just run, no phone no watch no how fast/slow am i going app.

Just Run and enjoy the freedom of it.

While in theory this sounds good, I just cannot do that.

Whenever I leave the house cycling, walking or whatever my mobile comes with me charged & with monies on it; always bring small amount of monies also just-in-case.
    Just a safety habit of mine. I used use the armband for my ipod & just normally put mobile into pocket of top I'm wearing.

Nice linkies in here though, maybe an armband on each for me is the way to go,
    kerry4sam

I once went out for a 5km run back when I was only a running newb (still am mind you!), and I got lost. Ended up lost on country roads in thick fog, dusk setting in - petrified. Got home 12.5km later.

I only really bring my phone if I'm running somewhere I don't know, but I can see why people wouldn't like to leave the house without it.

Advertisement