Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserves on bikes???

• 13-04-2012 3:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭

Hello all. Now Garda Reserves seem to being recruited left right and centre. Now I now reserves have limited powers and there is talk that they will get public order powers. Ive always felt reserves should be put on beat duty in big towns and cities. So my point is would there be any harm in opening up the bike training to reserves?? Meaning we could accompany full time members on bike patrols. This would expand our operational status and maybe even patrols. Lets say its two full timers on one bike patrol were it could be one full timer and a reserve on one patrol and another full timer and a reserve on another patrol. Its an idea at the moment anyways. What do reserves and full timers think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

Tyron Jara wrote: »
    Hello all. Now Garda Reserves seem to being recruited left right and centre. Now I now reserves have limited powers and there is talk that they will get public order powers. Ive always felt reserves should be put on beat duty in big towns and cities. So my point is would there be any harm in opening up the bike training to reserves?? Meaning we could accompany full time members on bike patrols. This would expand our operational status and maybe even patrols. Lets say its two full timers on one bike patrol were it could be one full timer and a reserve on one patrol and another full timer and a reserve on another patrol. Its an idea at the moment anyways. What do reserves and full timers think?

Its one of the few things specifically listed as something Reserves "will not" do so I imagine its unlikely to happen in the next decade....

In many areas members on bikes travel solo anyway so it could just lead to actual "baby sitting". If there was independant patrol, or in areas where members patrol in pairs on bikes, then perhaps it may be useful.

Its also something comes with slight initial costs - training (although if GRs were to join in classes with regs this would be marginal) but also members on bike require additional (expensive) uniform items - so I dont know if there would be value for money unless the reserve was able to go solo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

never going to happen no matter how good of an idea it is!

I know a reg who got a car course before the gear to allow him out on the bike, even though the course was passed long before

if thats how the fulltimers are gettin treated, dont hold your breath for a GR on a bike anytime soon.

(have you any idea how costly the stablizers would be for us!?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

I find it madness that you need a course to cycle a bike, it's common sense. As for the kit ? A 10 euro helmet is the kit you need and maybe combats, a tee shirt, I really don't see why not. I can understand the patrol car, but a push bike is about as simple as it gets transport wise. Gob forbid the reserve might pull a wheelie :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

msg11 wrote: »
    I find it madness that you need a course to cycle a bike, it's common sense. As for the kit ? A 10 euro helmet is the kit you need and maybe combats, a tee shirt, I really don't see why not. I can understand the patrol car, but a push bike is about as simple as it gets transport wise. Gob forbid the reserve might pull a wheelie :pac:

Ah the course is there to cover issues like skills in navigating obstacles and bumps, hazard awareness and perception, use of a bike in public order situations and its use for personal protection. It's not just like cycling for pleasure and I can imagine it would be a scary experience to be just given the bike and told away with ya.

Cycling in crowded public situations on and off pavements and steps doesn't come naturally.

There is an entire industry devoted to public safety cycling in the states, with annual conferences and basic and advanced level courses. Even here the voluntary bodies such as Order of Malta insist on completion of a (Detailed) cycling course prior to going on bike duty.

As for equipment standard high visibility gear (or even standard combats) are not conducive to cycling and shorts etc need to be purpose made for both cycling and law enforcement. In the UK the medical bike unit high viz gear is about twice the price of standard ambulance gear.

For most services the helmet is actually the cheapest item needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭redsurfer

the uniform for the bike comes to about €700. all new uniformx2 plus a stab vest. the course is good from what i hear, it needs to be a week to cover everything.

anyone here like to come off a bike with a €10 helmet on:confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement