Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do dog died

• 06-03-2011 9:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

My beloved black Labrador passed away totally heartbroken he has leukaemia only diagnosed 5 days ago.

Just looking for advice are we allowed bury dog in garden?

Someone said it's not allowed anymore.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Sorry to hear about your dog, that is very sad news :(

afaik it is perfectly ok to still bury cats and dogs in your own garden

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭lrushe

Sorry to hear about your dog Irishhomer, my sister's JRT died last June and she is buried in her back garden, just remember to put lime down first and it should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Sorry to hear about your dog :( x

I never even thought about it being allowed or not to bury your pets in your land. Just figured you were allowed.

We have good sized area and have buried all of ours over the years, never gave it a second thought seeing as it's our land, maybe it's different if you are in rented accomodation?
    I never put down lime though.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭ThisNoize

Hi, sorry about your loss.

Perfectly fine but I seriously recommend the lime, my mother learnt this the hard way as stray dogs dug up the family Lab, wasn't nice :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

so sorry for your loss.

when my cat died 10yr ago i was told by someone you can't bury them in your back garden - what if you move and some such. i was like i ain't moving any time soon and i don't give a fúck what anyone says, he is being buried in the garden.

two yr ago when the other cat died the vet had the option to have him cremated. we decided on this as if we do decide to move in the next few yrs i would have felt a bit crap having buried him - personal feeling but still.

if you want to bury him, you bury him and sod anybody else.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Sorry for your loss op
    hdowney wrote: »
    if you want to bury him, you bury him and sod anybody else.

Em no, no you don't.

You check if there are any health and safety / contamination issues.
    You check if there are any council laws / guidelines.
    You might ring a vet and query what is the best option, for you, for the environment, for your poor little deceased doggy.
    Etc etc.

It's called being a responsible citizen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭ Dangelo Damp Star

IMO if I wanted a bury a loved pet in the garden no one would stop me.

However a Lab is a large dog to bury, unless your strong/fit and can dig deep I'd recommend you taking it to the Vets and asking them to look after its removal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

Sorry for your loss.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055505524
    Discussion about pet cemeteries here

amdublin wrote: »
    Sorry for your loss op

Em no, no you don't.

You check if there are any health and safety / contamination issues.
    You check if there are any council laws / guidelines.
    You might ring a vet and query what is the best option, for you, for the environment, for your poor little deceased doggy.
    Etc etc.

It's called being a responsible citizen.

fair enough. but i just found people were BOSSING me about just after my pet died. honestly they were not kindly offering their advice and whatnot, they were ordering me about like they had the right. and i guess that is what got my back up. as i said i cremated my second cat (no pet cemetaries round here as far i kno).

it probably does pay to check things out, so you don't have hassles after you have buried your beloved pet, cos that could make things much worse for you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Cremation is another option. Sorry for your loss OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 mistyd

Sorry for your loss op, I lost my little jack russell just before christmas, soo horrible..we buried her in the garden.. as we have done with every family pet.. as another poster said, the local vet will take care of cremation for you if you want to go down this route..

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭kitchens decks

my advice is not to bury the dog in ur garden , i buried our cat in our yard 5 years ago in a small wooden box....two wks ago i dug out our lawn wit a digger for a new shed and ...yes.. i came across the buried box again so u never kno wat u will be digging out for in yrs to come, i reciently had to put my lab on donedeal for sale i kno how attached ppl get to labradors very loyal dogs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

So sorry for your loss, I don't know the legalities of burying him in the garden, I guess it depends how urban or rural you are.

I'm really sorry that you didn't have much time to say goodbye to him, our dog died 2 years ago of lymphoma, we had 4 weeks between diagnosis and him leaving us.

Take care of yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Taceom

lrushe wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about your dog Irishhomer, my sister's JRT died last June and she is buried in her back garden, just remember to put lime down first and it should be fine.

I too am sorry to hear about your dog. It is very difficult to lose a pet especially after such a short illness.
    I've never heard about the lime thing. Can anyone explain what it does or why it is recommended. I know my neighbours buried their lab in their garden and I don't recall them using lime.
    I would imagine you could bury your dog on your own property, why not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

If you have the disposable income I'd consider cremation. I had my dog cremated and his ashes places in a picture frame. Have him hanging on the wall. That way if I ever move I can bring him with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

I don't have anything to add other than sorry for your loss OP.

I bet you gave him an amazing life.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Wizard01

My lab was killed almost three years ago on the road, i was away when a sales rep came to the house and dog escaped. The sales man rang the dog warden after the accident and he came, took our dog and left a note for us.
    When i got home, i was devastated and rang him, he said she had passed away, I asked him could we collect her and give her a funeral in our garden with the children, she had been our pet for 8 years, he said no its illegal to bury any animals!!
    They would cremate her and we get charged, we never even got to say goodbye :(

Wizard01 wrote: »
    My lab was killed almost three years ago on the road, i was away when a sales rep came to the house and dog escaped. The sales man rang the dog warden after the accident and he came, took our dog and left a note for us.
    When i got home, i was devastated and rang him, he said she had passed away, I asked him could we collect her and give her a funeral in our garden with the children, she had been our pet for 8 years, he said no its illegal to bury any animals!!
    They would cremate her and we get charged, we never even got to say goodbye :(

Really sorry to hear of your experience :(
    Did they not give you her ashes at least??

Out of all the cats that have died our vets handed them all back to us.
    Not one word was mentioned of it being illegal to bury them at home. We even mentioned we would be burying them at home.

Maybe it's different in different counties? Like local councils and such have their own rules about it?
    I've never heard of anyone having any trouble burying their pet. Large animals obviously have to be taken care of in a different manner like horses....actually I've no idea what on earth folks do but guess they would get them cremated.

Really had never considered it to be possibly illegal to bury your pet :confused:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

OP, I would say it depends if you own your own house or are renting, if renting just check with your landlord, if you own the property, realistically I would just make sure you choose a place that is well away from any water supply, pipes or other services that may need excavated for repair purposes. I wouldn't even be bothered checking with regulations etc. I have always buried any pets on my own property and will continue to do so, there must be dozens of rabbits, guinea pigs, chinchillas etc burried in my garden all over the place. Due to the size of him and no-one had a clue where there was a 'vacant' space, the lab was burried in the field but as long as you go down deep enough, the garden should be fine.
    ToniTuddle wrote: »
    I've never heard of anyone having any trouble burying their pet. Large animals obviously have to be taken care of in a different manner like horses....actually I've no idea what on earth folks do but guess they would get them cremated.

Most of them are made into dog food, a few go the hunts and some are incinerated. As for my own?
    He's in the plot next to the lab . . . sshhhhh!!

Due to the size of him and no-one had a clue where there was a 'vacant' space, the lab was burried in the field but as long as you go down deep enough, the garden should be fine.

See now I'm paranoid as hell I didn't go down deep enough with my dog last year or now Sniffles.
    What do you mean about the garden should be fine? Like if you didn't go down deep enough then what would happen the garden?

I know it's a disturbing thing to think of but.....how long does it actually take for a small body of an animal to.....well.....be gone as such after you bury them?

Most of them are made into dog food, a few go the hunts and some are incinerated. As for my own?
    He's in the plot next to the lab . . . sshhhhh!!

Your spoiler made me laugh and go awwwww :D You will need the digger for that job :eek:

God....what happens to animals in the zoo when they die? Like elephants and rhinos. Do they get fed around the other animals or...incinerated? Imagine digging a grave for them. :eek:

The whole idea of cremating your pet esp if they are larger than a cat ....and then burying the ashes would be an good idea. Unless you wanted to keep the ashes that is....but if you had alot of pets at some stage it might be good idea to bury the ashes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭steph1

Sorry for your loss Irishhomer.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭reeta

OP, I would say it depends if you own your own house or are renting, if renting just check with your landlord, if you own the property, realistically I would just make sure you choose a place that is well away from any water supply, pipes or other services that may need excavated for repair purposes. I wouldn't even be bothered checking with regulations etc. I have always buried any pets on my own property and will continue to do so, there must be dozens of rabbits, guinea pigs, chinchillas etc burried in my garden all over the place. Due to the size of him and no-one had a clue where there was a 'vacant' space, the lab was burried in the field but as long as you go down deep enough, the garden should be fine.

Just listening to the radio this morning and apparently it is illegal to bury any animal in your garden..!! it wont stop me...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

reeta wrote: »
    Just listening to the radio this morning and apparently it is illegal to bury any animal in your garden..!! it wont stop me...
    Wouldn't bother me either. I own my house and I'm not likely to sell up so any of my pets that have died are buried in my back garden. Any I lose in the future, ditto.

I'd like to hear the actual legalities of it. It's not illegal in the UK to bury pets in your own garden and since our laws are very similar I'd be very surprised if it was illegal here. The legalities may refer to livestock, not domestic animals and that's where the confusion may arise.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    If you have the disposable income I'd consider cremation. I had my dog cremated and his ashes places in a picture frame. Have him hanging on the wall. That way if I ever move I can bring him with me.

i didn't have the disposable income, but it was a cost that i had to pay. as was the cost of the euthanasia itself. i know we have to pay for things fair enuff, but it was horrible that i had to walk out the room after the poor cat was put to sleep and pay for the 'privelidge'!

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭CrackisWhack

My JRT died 3 years ago and we consulted the vet, who said as long as the grave is about 6 foot deep, there will be no ground water contamination and its not at risk of being dug up by other animals, so thats what i did, took me all of about 5 hours with a little crappy spade, but that dog was one of the family and we wanted her buried in the back yard close to us.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement