Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Spurious bulb warnings - BMW E60

• 06-01-2015 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have a 2008 BMW 5 Series and over the past few weeks I've got a rear fog lamp bulb warning on the dashboard. This comes and goes but the bulb is working.
    In the last few days, this has been joined a few times by a brake bulb warning, again on the rear and just once by a right rear indicator bulb warning.

I'm taking it that this might be due to a poor earth or something similar. I noticed last night that the tail light on the right appears to have a slight flicker whereas the left light is rock solid. I think they're LEDs but I'm open to correction.

Where do I go from here?

TIA
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Some say on here buying from a bmw in some cases is cheaper than some motor factors. That and you get an oem quality pat, might be worth a visit? It's worth doing both sides when changing bulbs too as a general rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Selective posts from here
    http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=571079
    Yep... check the connector to the tail light assembly... specifically the brown and white wire terminal. I had high resistance there and melted the whole connector which caused my iDrive to go nuts because it did not know which failure to show first; brake lamp, park lamp, backup lamp, etc. The bulbs were all good. I had no moisture but you may want to check for condensation...
    There is a know issue with the connectors in the wiring harness for the rear lights. It starts as an intermittent problem but eventually progresses to include the taillights, brake lights and backup lights. I had both of mine replaced under warranty, and was told they had to reflash the software after the repair. Hope someone can help you with a DIY repair.
    Unfortunately, I started to experience tail lamp malfunctions as well in my 08 528xi (out of warranty). 1st it started on the left, then the right affecting all rear lights. I took the car over to my independent bmw mechanic who I've used since my 1st BMW in 02.

Basically, the connections had melted on both lights. I had to replace both light rear bulb carriers as some connection paths were fried as well. I literally saw the melted plastic. According to the mechanic, he'd seen this in almost all 3's but never a 5. He ended up creating an extra ground to prevent the issue from happening again.

Might be worth checking can't see US and European harnesses being much different

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭macrubicon

It is the harness...

If you open up the panel in the boot and take out the plug connector you will most likely see some melting!

I have one replaced when it happened on goodwill as the car was in for another fault with the PDC but more interesting for you is that at my last service they were both replaced again for free.

There might be something there for you at a dealer?

Mine is an 09 that's well out of warranty and service inclusive services and yet they did it for free back in November.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

macrubicon wrote: »
    It is the harness...

If you open up the panel in the boot and take out the plug connector you will most likely see some melting!

I have one replaced when it happened on goodwill as the car was in for another fault with the PDC but more interesting for you is that at my last service they were both replaced again for free.

There might be something there for you at a dealer?

Had an identical problem with my (2010) - again replaced FOC by the dealer.

Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

Thanks for all the replies. Plenty to work on there.

Hi

I have a 2008 BMW 5 Series and over the past few weeks I've got a rear fog lamp bulb warning on the dashboard. This comes and goes but the bulb is working.
    In the last few days, this has been joined a few times by a brake bulb warning, again on the rear and just once by a right rear indicator bulb warning.

I'm taking it that this might be due to a poor earth or something similar. I noticed last night that the tail light on the right appears to have a slight flicker whereas the left light is rock solid. I think they're LEDs but I'm open to correction.

Where do I go from here?

TIA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

There is actually a recall on these rear cluster connectors. Call your local dealer and you should be able to book it in for free.

Advertisement