Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How long have you been running?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Started Couch to 5k at the end of january 2013. Another late convert, I was 48 then, I wish I'd have started about 20 year ago . My motivation was health related and have to say its the best think I've ever done for so may reasons , I absolutely love it. I usually run 5 days each week and from anywhere 3 to 5 miles each run. Planning on upping the distance in time but want to have a solid base to work on.

Before I started I used to see people out running in the rain and think they were lunatics, now I love running in the rain , I don't know if that means I was wrong about them being lunatics or if I am now one myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Gringo78 wrote: »
    Is that the drink or the running?

Do you now have a faster beer mile than your 2007 self mile PB?
    I'd have to go back and dig-up my notes (in 2007 I used a Polar watch/strap). Here's my first recorded Garmin training run though. A rather impressive 5k in 23:25. So my beer mile is slower than my first recorded Garmin running mile!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 RunningFree 2014

I started running around New Years with the aim of being able to complete the Operation Transformation run and haven't looked back since! I did that run and several others and have my sights set on the Dublin Series 10 mile and Half Marathon now. I was never sporty or athletic before this so its been a huge lifestyle change and probably one of the best decisions I have ever made!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭kchsligo

Proper running started when I did DCM back in 1996 after a three month training program. On and off for quite a few years before picking it back up again.
    Have now completed 4 marathons with my most recent being my best.
    Love the feeling of getting out running, even in conditions that make most of the people I know think I'm a bit soft in the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Started the C25K in Aug 2012 to aid weight loss with dieting.

Did my first Parkrun Oct 2012 in 30:35. My first 10k in Jan 2013, Half in April 2013 and DCM last year at which point I'd lost just over 5 stone.

I should get over a 1000 miles for the year this week and weight has been fairly stable since October.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

Jan 2011 - started running 3-5 miles 3/4 times a week. Target was to stop messin around and get fit once and for all
    April 2011 - first proper 10k (44mins)
    June 2011 - first half marathon (1:36)
    Oct 2012 - first marathon (2:59), joined club
    March 2013 - 2nd marathon, went travelling for 9 months but still ran a bit
    2014 - straight back into it with 3rd marathon, manically obsessed

so 3+ years really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Billy Mills

1992-1998 had a half decent High School/ College running career.

Stress fracture hell for a year.

Quit running and gained 25 lbs (until 2011)

Started back 3 years ago and just now starting to come back into the kind of shape I want. Giving up the sport for 13 years was idiotic to say the least!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

It's in my nature and education to take a precedent, amend it to suit the circumstances and charge an extortionate amount for the pleasure :cool:

Late 2009 Tried to ease off being pretty fond of the 3rd and 4th level education lifestyle of (ahem!) studying during the day and consuming death defying concoctions of alcohol and durty burgers during the night. Ran my first 10k: 63 mins. Ran half marathon: 2:04.

2011 Picked up a Garmin. Ran my second half marathon, first marathon: 4:28 in Connemara.

2013 Trained under the guidance of a great :rolleyes: and with an indescribable OCD problem to break the 3 hour marathon barrier in DCM: 2:57.

2014 Haven't yet lost count of marathons - 11. Garmin has tracked many miles of running - cannot be exact as I'm not THAT much of a nerd. Sometimes tired and struggle going up the stairs after the first couple of 20 milers in a marathon training program and every single club session. Do not miss the college lifestyle at all but wouldn't trade the memories for the world. Happier and healthier. Not in the slightest bit more mature. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭roseybear

Started when the local club started in 1997 - I was 7 yrs old. Up until then I was a spectator in the buggy/side of the track. 2014 and still going but not so much with the original group.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

started running august 2012 and loved it from the off.

2500 miles later and still loving it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Finnt

That's serious going claralara going from 4:28 to sub 3 in 2 years, fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PVincent

Started as a kid in Community Games and then a bit of Cross country in secondary school. Got injured training for 1981 marathon as a 19 yr old but ran the 1982 dublin marathon ( hit the wall at Fairview and don't remember much about the last 3miles ) . Then other sports (rugby and hockey) until I retired from team sport and began training for the New York marathon in 2003. And it's been a joy ever since . Berlin this September and then just have to do Boston to complete the Marathon majors.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 lewlew

Galadriel wrote: »
    3 months :eek:

Started the couch to 5k, I'm up to 20min runs at the moment but the hot weather is definitely slowing me down, I hope to catch this 'bug' soon that I hear runners talking about. I guess it just takes time, I am very unfit so to be able to run 20min is an achievement I suppose!

Oh I feel exactly the same. I was up to 25 mins on the C25k. I went on holiday am back a couple of week's now. I got right back in and was able to run no problem. But since this hot spell I am really struggling. The running bug only kicked in for me when I was able to run for 20 mins. I am bit disheartened at the mo as I have to walk at intervals in this hot weather. I just cant handle running but dont want to loose where I've got too!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

PVincent wrote: »
    then just have to do Boston to complete the Marathon majors.
    Including Tokyo? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

November 2009 was my first 5k run out of the blue. Since then multiple marathons, 50ks, 50 milers (and an 100 mile attempt this year). Great release, would be lost without running.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

Just gotta say, I love reading all your stories about how you started running. It's really inspiring to see how far people have come and how determined everyone is. :D Keep it coming!

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭FITZA

Just gotta say, I love reading all your stories about how you started running. It's really inspiring to see how far people have come and how determined everyone is. :D Keep it coming!

An oldie here:D Started running in 1974, under 10 - BLOE then not AAI. Was never very good but was dragged along to 'make up the team' for various competitions through my teens and 20s. Started doing 10ks in my 20s and loved them...again not particularly good at them. Continued running through my 30s and most of my 40s but didn't compete much in anything (mostly to keep weight in check:D). In April 2012 did a local 10k and have been running and training for 10ks since. My 10k time in 2012 was around 57mins, my best - April 2014 (and don't think I will better it) is 46.08 in the K Club 10k:), my first run in the over 50 category!!. Once I introduced tempo runs, LSRs and intervals into my training my times came down. I hope to continue running and enjoying it for a long time...if the body allows it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,418 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Took it up in summer 2011, aged 50, during a transitional period when a new work environment presented a good opportunity to quit the smokes. There was a gym available so started on the treadmill to help with the withdrawal symptoms. In 2012 I started running outside and did first 5k event. After doing the Frank Duffy 10 mile that August I thought I might be able to manage a marathon and did it in 4:02 with lots of help from the mentored novice thread that year. Second DCM last year in 3:46; training now for Berlin. I enjoy the training and try to do six or seven races a year, as well as regular parkruns. I really enjoy participating in races. I'm no speedster, I'm a pack runner. When I started I hoped to finish anywhere in the first 50 percent of finishers, now I'm slowly moving up and am usually somewhere around the 25-30 percent mark, depending on the event - not that anyone's counting!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Including Tokyo? :eek:

the real majors ;)

4 months this Sunday. Started a running class (similar to couch to 5k) on 27th March.

The night before last I ran 12kilometres.

Last night I stood at the boathouse at the end of Bray promenade and remembered that last year, I was unable to run from there to the Sea Life centre - a distance of around 600 metres.

I'm now completely addicted and have the Warrior's run in Sligo, and the Dublin half marathon coming up over the next two months :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PVincent

Tokyo will be done when I retire from work I think. I hear it's not too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

17 years ago this Saturday I ran my first race other than marathon distance, I already had 2 marathons behind me when I decided to step down in distance and compete in the world famous, in Mayo, Balla 10k. Balla was a race I was certain Id win convincingly before going on to dominate distance running on a world level. I was still involved with my local soccer club at that time and we had a match at the same time but I gambled my football career knocked off work an hour early and headed to Balla. On a hot humid evening I ran my guts out to finish 8th in 36:45, surprisingly despite my earlier optimism I wasnt too downbeat and if it wasnt for the fact that I was beaten by some really old men(some as old as 30!!) I would hve been happy. Straight after the race I headed to the soccer match, togged out and played the last few minutes then downtown for a feed of pints. At 2.30am in the chipper after 15 or so pints someone suggested we climb the Reek as it was Garland Sunday, the annual Croagh Patrick pilgrimage day. The soberest of us offered to drive, having only drank 10 or so. One problem: we were all in our "good" clothes. No problem he dropped us home first to change the gear. Another problem: auld lady. I sneaked in as silently and carefully as a herd of stampeding elephants wearing hob nail boots. Lights on "Glory be to god where are you going youl all be killed, whos driving? Anto " thats grand so hes in the army, a sensible lad and his mother goes to mass every day" Back into car for 25 mile drive to mountain climb The Reek in darkness and into camble s at the foot for "one for the thirst" and home in bed by 7. Woken at the ungodly hour of 10am by the afore mentioned auld lady screeching about mass, "But Im just after climbing the holy mountain" I protest but to no avail.
    I still have never won Balla after many attempts, my best was a second to the great Gerry Ryan in 2006, maybe this year but I doubt it.
    I know there must be drawbacks to being 22 but right now I cant seem to think of any.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Great to see the different lengths of time that people have been running, especially when all from the faster people to the not so speedy contribute.

As for me...apart from a year running in my early teens, where I was closer to, if not actually, last than first in every race I ran...for these purposes I started off 2 years ago, with my first race being the IKA 10k in 2012 (45:15). In the time since, I've raced all the more common distances from 5k up to and including my first marathon in Paris this year (4:18). Training for this year's DCM, hoping for sub-4, and I also have four half marathons under my belt. For the most part I'm enjoying it, and fingers crossed I can keep improving while the body's still up to it (early 40s). Well done to all, keep it up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

7 years running in Sept.
    Returned after a long break that started in my late teens.
    I was a 50s 400m runner back then.
    Ran a track race again in 2009 for the first time in 25 years.
    I try to live life without regrets but I regret not continuing running.
    Youth and the young etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 SliM Dedalus

Started running in 2012 after an acl injury cut-short my GAA playing days. Was living near the Phoenix Park at the time so it seemed a logical step to lace up and go for a few runs through the winter to replace training! I signed up for the Wicklow half that year and ran just over 2 hrs in the blistering heat. I was definitely bitten by 'the bug' at that point; as pictures from that finish line will testify. Got the half time down to sub 2 in Wexford, followed the race series and made DCM in my first year running at a respectable 4:28.

Whatever happened in 2013, I threw away my €50 runners that had got me through 2012, invested in shiny new asics, bought a Garmin but never ran above 10k and put on a pile of weight. I got lazy and struggled through my 10k's - at times making 1hr but mostly dis-improving. I started running with my youngest brother though; 10 years my junior and making that show in every event.

While getting 'back on the horse' in 2014, our family suffered an enormous loss in the death of our little sister, Triona from cystic fibrosis at fifteen years of age (some people may remember the story. It made international headlines as Ed Sheeran sang to Triona before she died). Needless to say, the world pretty much turned on its head at that point and the return to 'normal' has had its ups and downs for all of us.

My coping mechanisms were twofold - a few pints or a few miles (and I certainly did both). Nothing has helped clear my head or helped end a difficult day on a positive note like getting out for a run and working on my training regime.

I decided to run the New York Marathon in November of this year to raise funds for CF Ireland and in memory of Triona. I chose New York as it was Triona's favourite place and is one of very special memories for our family. Its a pilgrimage of sorts, for someone who believes in this world only, and part of the healing process.

Triona didn't care a great deal about running, she couldn't really partake. She was supportive, however, and appreciated the CF wristband I wore in DCM 2012 and gave to her afterwards. It helped get me around the course after a stop/ start training regime. She was nothing if mischievous and like to stoke the competitive fires between me and my brother, who I finally beat to the finish line last Sunday in Swords (just saying!).

Anyway, that's basically my running story that I'd like to add to the many I've read in this thread. I never thought that running would come to mean so much to me as I started out on a few jogs around the park. I'm pretty average at it and comfortable at mid-pack. I have been bitten by the bug, however, and can't imagine moving on to golf any time soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Ed Mc

I went to a fit for life group session in august 2012.
    Messed around for a few months running until the winter.
    Started again in january 2013 training towards a half marathon.
    Currently tapering for 100k.
    I think i've lost the RUN of myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

When I started in Secondary school (34 yrs ago) the PE teacher timed everyone on a 1 mile XC loop. With no running background I ran about 6 mins, afterwards the PE teacher asked if I would like to start a training program which I duly did.

On one of these runs I was stopped by a couple who lived a few rows behind my house and they asked was there a running club in Bray, I said I didn't think so. Turns out that they had just moved up from Tullamore and had been active Harriers committee members - I became the 1st member of 'Bray Striders'.

Ran for about 4yrs with the highlight being a bronze in the Leinster 3k track on cinder in 9:09 and a 15:48 5k in Belfield. However got injured pushing it too hard and training with the Seniors for those Nationals.

I didn't run through most of my 20's, but for the occasional sunny day trot somewhere.

Returned for a brief 2-3yr spell at the end of my 20's, before life took over.

Wind the clock forward, 1 year work assignment in India, returned overweight and unfit beginning of 08 and the journey begins again.

Running is in my DNA, it's the default go to activity, keeps me sane, gives me head space and you reap what you sow.

I've run (seriously) for 13 of the 34 years since I started running and I hope there's at least another 34 in front of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

I did my first run on 8th March this year. I was waiting for my son to finish gaa training, and whilst parked in Wicklow town, I decide to go for a walk, except I ran instead along the north beach. Haven't looked back since, ran the Bray cliff run in April, run most days now, even at lunch time in work in IFSC. As a result of the running I now get more and real use out of my moutain bike, tomorrow I'll do a 30k session in Clara vale. Feel much better in general, 8kgs lost too. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

I have been running since I was a teenager but sort of fell off the wagon in college and only started back properly a year and a half ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

My very 1st run (other than the likes of community games as a kid) was 9 years ago, with UCD, none other than Joe Sweeney and afew of the countries best athletics were out for an easy run that day that me and a friend jumped in and joined the club. We somehow managed to hang onto that group for about 4 of their 8 miles easy jog ha, then died an utter death, couldn't walk for days. Total baptism of fire, it's a wounder I ever came back!

Other sports took preference during them 9yrs and it's been the usual roller coaster, but I can safely say athletics has been part and parcel of my life over them years and I wouldn't swap it for anything.

Advertisement