Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 Irish National Championships

• 15-07-2014 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭

Thought I'd set up a thread for this as there hasn't been much chat about it here. I think it is better off in the main forum rather than getting buried among all the road races in the events forum.

The first of what I assume will be a few AAI previews has been posted.

http://www.athleticsireland.ie/news/glohealth-senior-champs-throws-preview

Fairly decent numbers entered in the men's javelin it has to be said.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Should be a good weekend of racing. Saw on Twitter that Ciara Mageean looks set to make a return. Will be great to see here back on her feet after a torrid time with injuries.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/28299022

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Anyone running? Not doing it myself this year, maybe next year when I'm a bit faster! Heading up on the Sunday anyway, and maybe the Saturday if I don't have to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

pconn062 wrote: »
    Anyone running? Not doing it myself this year, maybe next year when I'm a bit faster! Heading up on the Sunday anyway, and maybe the Saturday if I don't have to work.

Yep, running the 400 heats on the Saturday. Will need an improvement of Michelle Smith proportions to extend my interest into Sunday, so will up in the stands then.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Hoping to head in on Sunday. Knowing me however, I will probably forget it's on until about 2pm...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Down for the 8 and 15. Like Chivito it would take a motorbike or something to help me progress to Sunday, but I'll be down Sunday to watch also definitely, alongside the annual carnage that night ha. Hopefully no hospital visits this year! Also anyone know much about the public mile races on the Sunday at 11am? Great idea, I might well go up for it, will it be like the goal miles or what?

• Advertisement

Timmaay wrote: »
    Down for the 8 and 15. Like Chivito it would take a motorbike or something to help me progress to Sunday, but I'll be down Sunday to watch also definitely, alongside the annual carnage that night ha. Hopefully no hospital visits this year! Also anyone know much about the public mile races on the Sunday at 11am? Great idea, I might well go up for it, will it be like the goal miles or what?

Huh??! Tell us more! I might be up for the Sunday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭longjump67

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

Any athlete doing Europeans will have to compete in their choosen event.Little dissapointed with this as id love to see Mark English drop down to 400m again.

What are Robinson and McCarthy running, the 1500m then?

Edit: Just seen they are, alongside John Travers and Ciaran O' Lionaird. Should be some race.

• Advertisement

Interesting to see Fionnuala Britton in the 1500m, not the 5 or 10k.

Interesting to see Fionnuala Britton in the 1500m, not the 5 or 10k.

Maybe the rule of having to do your event at nationals to go to Zurich doesn't apply to long distance races. If so then I'd agree with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

highlights on RTE2 Sunday evening, 6 to 7.30

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭LacticAthlete

http:// jumpingthegun.ie/blog/2014/7/16/nationals-prediction-contest

Prediction contest on Jumping the gun for those interested

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

What are Robinson and McCarthy running, the 1500m then?

Edit: Just seen they are, alongside John Travers and Ciaran O' Lionaird. Should be some race.

Has Ciaran O'Lionard still to get the European qualifying time?

YFlyer wrote: »
    Has Ciaran O'Lionard still to get the European qualifying time?

Yeah, I believe so, didn't get it the other night at the Morton Games.

Yeah, I believe so, didn't get it the other night at the Morton Games.

He be hoping the pace be quick then.

YFlyer wrote: »
    He be hoping the pace be quick then.

He is racing in Watford tonight so you would imagine that he hopes to get it there. If so will make the 1500m at the weekend very interesting with 4 qualifiers and 3 to make the team

ecoli wrote: »
    He is racing in Watford tonight so you would imagine that he hopes to get it there. If so will make the 1500m at the weekend very interesting with 4 qualifiers and 3 to make the team

Cheers.

Yes it be interested. Travers is flying it and be full of confidence after the Morton Games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

3:37:73 tonight. Mission accomplished.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Some Kind of Wizard

Is it the case that the top 3 in the 1500m at the Nationals, given they have the standard, are guaranteed to go to Europe? Or do selectors have more discretion?

Is it the case that the top 3 in the 1500m at the Nationals, given they have the standard, are guaranteed to go to Europe? Or do selectors have more discretion?

Up to selectors discretion solely so while athletes have to run nationals and the results may influence the selectors decision it does not have a direct impact on the selection process.

https://athleticsireland.app.box.com/14-ecpolicy

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Don't know much about McCarthy...whats his form like? History?

Assuming all 4 get qualifying time on Sunday...would think Robinson would be a definite inclusion? and probably O' Lionaird too. Travers and McCarthy to fight it out for the last spot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Assuming all 4 get qualifying time on Sunday...would think Robinson would be a definite inclusion? and probably O' Lionaird too. Travers and McCarthy to fight it out for the last spot?

I would have thought Sunday could be a more tactical affair rather than a time trial? Given that they all have the time the onus would be on finishing place I would have thought (and also winning a national title) over the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Would really love to see John Travers get selected. I think it would be a great reward for him, and for club athletics in this country.

He's a young guy that AFAIK came through his local club structure - I'd say he's one of the few top guys that runs the national league for his club (he did both rounds this year), does the graded series, does county and national xc, IUAA, etc.

Could be a really good encouragement to domestic club athletes.

McCarthy was in really good form during the indoor season. Not too sure what his form is currently apart from that he had a bad run at the Morton Games last Friday in the mile. Was at the front at one stage but faded badly and finished in 4.09 I believe. But a quality athlete when he's going well.

Sacksian wrote: »
    Would really love to see John Travers get selected. I think it would be a great reward for him, and for club athletics in this country.

He's a young guy that AFAIK came through his local club structure - I'd say he's one of the few top guys that runs the national league for his club (he did both rounds this year), does the graded series, does county and national xc, IUAA, etc.

Could be a really good encouragement to domestic club athletes.

I think you could probably make a similar case for McCarthy to an extent (home based athlete running a couple of local road races and IUAA's over the years for DCU when he wasn't running in providence) also was on a number of the XC teams over the years. You could also argue that with Briton moving from our only home based professional coached group that it could be damaging to not have a runner from that group running at Europeans*.

I think overall each athletes selection would come with pro's and cons no doubt but regardless of that should make for a great race, eventhrowing in the likes of Harper and Mooney and there is the potential for a very competitive race.

McCarthy was in really good form during the indoor season. Not too sure what his form is currently apart from that he had a bad run at the Morton Games last Friday in the mile. Was at the front at one stage but faded badly and finished in 4.09 I believe. But a quality athlete when he's going well.

Went through the 1500m at roughly 4.00-4.01 pace so you can imagine how bad he did tie up after going with the initial pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

what times did each qualify with? O Lionaird was 3.37.72, what about the others?

• Advertisement

I think you could probably make a similar case for McCarthy to an extent (home based athlete running a couple of local road races and IUAA's over the years for DCU when he wasn't running in providence) also was on a number of the XC teams over the years. You could also argue that with Briton moving from our only home based professional coached group that it could be damaging to not have a runner from that group running at Europeans*.

I think overall each athletes selection would come with pro's and cons no doubt but regardless of that should make for a great race, evening throwing in the likes of Coghlan and Everard and there is the potential for a very competitive race.

What is the story with Britton these days? I know she moved on from Chris Jones but haven't heard whose looking after her now. What sort of shape is she in?

Advertisement