Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Neighbourhood Watch Merged Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

DaveD wrote: »
    blue Ford Transit having a good look around Summerfield this morning. Only a driver in it. He went into every road within the estate. Seemed odd.

I was in Whitestown last week and I drove in to every road and I was the only driver.

What did I do wrong?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I don't think you're supposed to post reg details.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I was in Whitestown last week and I drove in to every road and I was the only driver.

What did I do wrong?

Ah come on Chuck, someone driving around in that pattern may be doing absolutely nothing wrong, but its exactly the sort of suspicious pattern that the Guards would tell you to watch out for. Cruising side streets and not having any particular business in any of them is remarkable from both a home security and a child protection point of view.

My guess is they might have been looking for those illegal charity clothes collection stickers and bags, that nobody seems to leave out. I've seen it on my own road. Allendale estate have put up their own signs warning vans doing that not to enter, such is the local concern. That might be a bit OTT, but its not unreasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭VeVeX

What did I do wrong?

You weren't driving a transit.

Apple Maps seem to be doing the rounds today so if you see a grey van with some weird looking rigging on the roof drive in and straight back out of your estate don't panic.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

No posting reg details - This was clearly stated on the same page that DaveD posted the reg of the blue van. Posting photos of the cars/vans also not a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Ah come on Chuck, someone driving around in that pattern may be doing absolutely nothing wrong, but its exactly the sort of suspicious pattern that the Guards would tell you to watch out for. Cruising side streets and not having any particular business in any of them is remarkable from both a home security and a child protection point of view.

My guess is they might have been looking for those illegal charity clothes collection stickers and bags, that nobody seems to leave out. I've seen it on my own road. Allendale estate have put up their own signs warning vans doing that not to enter, such is the local concern. That might be a bit OTT, but its not unreasonable.

Cars and vans do drive around every street in an estate when they are looking for a particular street and haven't a notion where they're going or where they have no satnav.

Of course suspicious activity is possible, but there can be innocent enough reasons for it too.

Take the reg, call the guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭DaveD

What did I do wrong?

:rolleyes:

To me, this fella was having a good luck in every house, and not just looking for clothes bags. There's been a few break in's lately, i was being vigilant and i suppose trying to warn anyone else in the area to be wary and perhaps report it if they see the same van in their area.

Gaspode wrote: »
    No posting reg details - This was clearly stated on the same page that DaveD posted the reg of the blue van. Posting photos of the cars/vans also not a good idea.

Just curious - but why can't reg numbers & photos be posted?

A reg will assit with identifying a particular vehicle which may be popping up in various estates acting suspiciously.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Because you have no proof that the owners of the vehicle are doing anything illegal. If you suspect illegal activity, bring the details to the gardai and let them investigate. The van could have been on legitimate business for all we know.
    Reporting what you saw on this thread is fine, no problems there, but it's enough of a heads up to say that there was a blue van driving around the area the you felt was acting suspiciously.
    General ID here, specific ID to the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 dublin.15

AAD wrote: »
    People of ethnicity - I know speaking with a Dublin accent is rare these days but to call them "people of Ethnicity" is a bit off the mark.

Anyway they knocked at my door selling cakes for the local drug clinic (coolmine lodge) I watched them come up and down the road and they went straight to doors and didn't seem to be looking at anything else.

I know this a month old post,but i work for Coolmine Therapeutic Community ,and i can 100% say that we do not send people around doors selling cakes or looking for money.If anyone calls to your door claiming to be from Coolmine lodge or Coolmine T.C,please notify the guards immediately.

We do do bag packs in supermarkets and church collections with a garda license.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭horse7

dublin.15 wrote: »
    I know this a month old post,but i work for Coolmine Therapeutic Community ,and i can 100% say that we do not send people around doors selling cakes or looking for money.If anyone calls to your door claiming to be from Coolmine lodge or Coolmine T.C,please notify the guards immediately.

We do do bag packs in supermarkets and church collections with a garda license.

They called around castleknock 2 weeks ago,and some time last year,and the gardai are not very easy to access via phone,also shortstaffed.

I saw a thing in the paper the other day about people collecting door to door for Pieta House. A spokesperson for the charity said they don't do door to door collections either so just another one to be aware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Regarding the posts about people going door to door selling cakes, I have just seen on facebook that two of these individuals have just been taken away by the Guards in Latchford in Clonee... one resident said "I seen only from when he was kicking the guards and about 6 guards trying to get him in the car etc" Must be a lot of sugar in those cakes!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

House set on fire in Wellview last night. Reports that it was intentional after a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

Cars broken into in the underground car park in Fawn Lodge, Castleknock. Lots of windows smashed and damage done to doors but does not appear anything of value taken from what I know. Gardai informed.

House broken into near Stockton area,broke into rear door,set off alarm,car keys taken,silver Audi a4,householder remained upstairs with wife and kids,gardai attended,say they know who is likely to be responsible.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,649 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

horse7 wrote: »
    .....,householder remained upstairs with wife and kids.....

Very wise. It's just a lump of metal.

Must have been terrifying though.

Someone set fire to trees near the pines,fire brigade attended on Monday 11am.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,114 ✭✭✭✭DvB

House broken into in Manorfields in Castaheany, family had moved out the day before so the house was empty, broke in by using a crowbar on the uPVC window to the rear & exited via the rear door which had again been forced open by crowbar.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement

Around 3pm Saturday, 17/10/15: Man in a red baseball cap with a golf bag on wheels delivering leaflets around Peck's Lane/Auburn Avenue seen trying door handles and checking under flower pots/door mats presumably for keys to property. Blanchardstown Gardaí informed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

January wrote: »
    House set on fire in Wellview last night. Reports that it was intentional after a row.

Bad people used to throw a Stone at a window now its burn the house. ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Bad people used to throw a Stone at a window now its burn the house. ...

House is now boarded up. Not council owned, was rented by a private landlord.

January wrote: »
    House is now boarded up. Not council owned, was rented by a private landlord.

Must be very stressful for the landlord that

House broken into in Stockton last night. Downstairs window forced open. Jewellery, cash and ipads stolen.

Alarm go off?

I don't have any more details at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

uPVC windows are absolute rubbish and extremely easy to pry open.

A family member had their house broken into last week and the locking pins on the 2 metal slots that hold it closed just snapped and they easily pulled the window out.

Extra locking units are badly needed to make it harder.
    Also upgrade and type of euro cylinder locks you may have on front and rear doors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭dibs101

uPVC windows are absolute rubbish and extremely easy to pry open.

A family member had their house broken into last week and the locking pins on the 2 metal slots that hold it closed just snapped and they easily pulled the window out.

Extra locking units are badly needed to make it harder.
    Also upgrade and type of euro cylinder locks you may have on front and rear doors.

Said the locksmith....

Advertisement