Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,445 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

buffalo wrote: »
    Ouch!

Done the same thing last year coming into the Centra Car Park that features at the end of a few audaxes, waved to LastGasp but left my hand resting on the hood of my front brake, doing about 10kmph, it was hilarious for spectators.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

buffalo wrote: »
    Ouch!
    Similar thing happened to a friend of mine years ago.
    Both cycling alongside each other on mountain bikes and without warning he just face plants the road. Running cantilever brakes, the upper brake cable snapped and the link cable dropped down onto his knobbly tyre and sent him flying over the bars without warning.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Dan Martin just tweeted that 16 Cervelos have been stolen off Garmin. No racing today. How messed up is that?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Dan Martin just tweeted that 16 Cervelos have been stolen off Garmin. No racing today. How messed up is that?
    irishbuzz wrote: »

Moved to stolen bikes thread.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Mcofferon

Did Saint-Andre borrow them so he and the French 15 could escape from the Stade de France?

Yes I did originally blame Rob Howley and the Welsh, but every time I slag them, the boys come good - Tidy!

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭xbox gamer

Would this be a boards theme tune/song? Sorry if it was posted here before. I only came across this yesterday and its catchy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

xbox gamer wrote: »
    Would this be a boards theme tune/song? Sorry if it was posted here before. I only came across this yesterday and its catchy.

New direction for Lenny Henry.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭furiousox

240619.jpg

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 24,952 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I saw a Garda arresting a young man with 2 bikes (stolen?) this morning. He was getting a bit mouthy so she handcuffed him to both bikes while awaiting backup. He looked ridiculous! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭tfrancer

how come paul kimmage aint a honorary life member of cycling ireland ?

Well, there's a vacancy for Pope now. Maybe he could be put forward for that?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

tfrancer wrote: »
    Well, there's a vacancy for Pope now. Maybe he could be put forward for that?
    My vote goes to Pat - he can probably do a bit less damage over there ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

I nearly came a cropper there on a Dublin bike with excellent brakes, I wasn't expecting to stop quite so suddenly..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Gotta feel for Celtic, hard luck to give away that.

Mod note, football spoilers also apply here

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

There's a collection being organised for pope Benedict. Donations can be made via Papal.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

For those of you that don't want to go to the bother of upgrading to one of those super fast ultegra chains talked about on the forum a few weeks ago...

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/friction-facts-publishes-ultrafast-chain-lube-formula-36424/

colm_gti wrote: »
    For those of you that don't want to go to the bother of upgrading to one of those super fast ultegra chains talked about on the forum a few weeks ago...

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/friction-facts-publishes-ultrafast-chain-lube-formula-36424/
    What sort of a clown uses metric and imperial in the same recipe? My heads hurts!
    1lb of household paraffin wax, 5g of pure PTFE (Teflon) powder, and 1g of pure molybdenum disulfide (MoS2). The wax is melted at approximately 180°F

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

What sort of a clown uses metric and imperial in the same recipe?

An imperiatric. It's like a geriatric but more mischievous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Was once informed that 1/2 " copper pipe was only sold by the metre ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

What sort of a clown uses metric and imperial in the same recipe? My heads hurts!

It's not uncommon - consider car tyres as an example: The diameter is imperial (i.e. 16 inch) but the width is metric (e.g. 205 mm).

• Advertisement

route66 wrote: »
    It's not uncommon - consider car tyres as an example: The diameter is imperial (i.e. 16 inch) but the width is metric (e.g. 205 mm).
    ....and the profile given as a percentage of the width.

I had just thought of tyre sizes after making the former post!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

doozerie wrote: »

An imperiatric. It's like a geriatric but more mischievous.
    I've always wanted to do 25 miles at over 40kph. Already managed it over 10 miles :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Beasty wrote: »
    I've always wanted to do 25 miles at over 40kph. Already managed it over 10 miles :)

dope-exploding-head.jpeg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

25335597.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

List of pro cyclists on Instagram
    http://www.velobeats.braynardwebdev.com/?p=517

May interest somebody...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭happytramp

285242_10151424583227180_787640638_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Keep_Her_Lit

This is quite possibly the most boring post ever submitted to 410. So I'll stick it in The Camper Van and apologise in advance for any induced comas*

I clipped a nasty, square-edged pothole just after leaving work this evening, as I was rolling onto a roundabout. There was a good thwack off the rear wheel and I immediately expected to hear a loud hiss, caused by the rapid loss of air through the four small parallel slits in the tube that typically result from a snakebite puncture.

But I heard nothing and judging by the feel of the rear wheel, couldn't detect any loss of pressure either. Happy days, I thought ... I seem to have got away with that one. About 10 seconds later there was a hearty bang and an instant after that I could feel and hear my wheel rim rolling and then skidding along the tarmac.

Thankfully, I got the bike over to the kerb without incident. Upon inspection, the tyre had parted company with the rim, while the tube had ruptured completely. One end of the tube got pulled into the wheel and had wrapped itself around the disc brake once and the cassette several times.

I surmised that although the tube hadn't been punctured by the initial impact, the rim must still have been deformed, at least enough to create a small gap through which the tube could protrude and then explode. But having untangled the tube, removed the wheel and carefully checked the circumference of each side, I could find no evidence of any damage. The tyre was unmarked also.

So this leads me to conclude that the impact was sufficient to dislodge the bead of the tyre from an ostensibly healthy rim, after which the tube completed the job of removing the tyre altogether before self-destructing. The two main contributory factors here, I believe, (apart from my hitting the pothole in the first place) are the very light weight and suppleness of the tyre (Conti GP4000S) and its very loose fit on the rim - it takes very little effort to fit the tyre without using levers.

I've never experienced a puncture like that before and it wasn't very nice, I have to say. Anyone else? For sure, it could be bad news if it happened on the front wheel in different circumstances. Hmmmmm.

[* apologising afterwards would be a bit late, clearly]

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Anyone else?

One of the guys I was cycling with on the dying light last year had a bad enough crash after touching wheels with another rider. Bike seemed ok, so we moved it to one side while tending to the injured rider. A couple of minutes later, a loud bang, and one wheel was de-tyred. Again, I'd guess a dislodged bead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

@Keep_Her_Lit I'm guessing that the tyre saw a reflection of itself on your bike and killed itself.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement