Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

toys for an extremely lively dog

• 15-07-2010 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭

Have a 9month old black lab... its mad... from dawn till dusk its bouncing about which is great

I take him on a 4 mile run most days the mrs takes him on a walk but still he wants more are there any toys or any thing like that, that I can get fro him to tire him out a wee bit or to keep him entertained when were away

thanks paddy

www.onlinemathsgrinds.ie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Have a 9month old black lab... its mad... from dawn till dusk its bouncing about which is great

I take him on a 4 mile run most days the mrs takes him on a walk but still he wants more are there any toys or any thing like that, that I can get fro him to tire him out a wee bit or to keep him entertained when were away

thanks paddy

This is what i got my cocker to chill him out during the day... its brillant...
    its solid to so he cants burst it, and hwne he jumps on it, it will go different ways each times... dut to its egg like desgin... its will tire him out and keep him entertained for ages :D

http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dog_toys_dog_training/intelligence_games/146815

Otherwise this webiste had TONS of cool toys for your dog

http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dog_toys_dog_training

• Registered Users Posts: 14,016 ✭✭✭✭tk123

What are you feeding him OP? Also you shouldn't be excercising him too much because he's so young - it can lead to joint problems as they get older.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Been tempted to get that egg shaped ball as well it looks pretty good.
    No toy is indestructable but some toys that dogs love are Kongs, try the larger red one first and if you notice he's able to damage it then move to a black kong. I'd say at 9 months he'd only destroy a puppy kong.

There's different types, the origional kong is one of the best and there's a ball one and long ones etc. zooplus have them and they're pretty common in most shops and some vets as well now.

I got a toy free with the dogs food on zooplus think it's called a boomer ball, it's a frizbee shape with a squeek in the middle, it's made from rubber and is fairly tough, not as tough as a kong but a toy that I bet your dog would love it perhaps with supervised play.

Hiding food in kongs or freezing food in them helps and puppies love ice cubes as well. Or you can freeze bananas or carrots for him to chew on.

Marrow bones can keep dogs busy too, perhaps supervised at first some butchers will give them out for free uncooked perhaps freeze them first. At 9 months it should be fine for him.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Rule of thumb is five minutes exercise per month for the first year :)

That's physical exercise.

Exhaust your dog with training, Kongs filled with frozen treats (the licking exercise to get the treats is stiumulating and relaxing), trash boxes (where you fill a cardboard box with a smelly treat and they have to hunt through paper/obstacles to find it), and training, 2-3 minutes of a time is enough.

You'll be amazed at the difference that combined with two 15 min walks a day will make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Smort Kid

May I suugest, NOT a squeeky ball.
    Its not a good toy when the mutt sits outside the bedroom/bathroom door squeeking it. Especially when us humans have already taken the mutts for a long walk and are trying to get some shut eye for night duty!

PS: I love my mutts :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭chprt

thanks for advice folks

will take it on board, order a kong and a yellow egg, will cut down on the running as well.

thanks again

paddy

www.onlinemathsgrinds.ie

Advertisement