Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

Today, 10:00   #6376
davegrohl48

Quote:
Originally Posted by km79 View Post
Anyone hear rumour that Donie Vaughan is starting midfield instead of Barry Moran with cuniffe returning .......
I think long term Vaughan is more suited in that kind of role but it would need to have been road tested already for at least one game. I remember a lot of Ballinrobe match reports had him listed midfield. His percentage of scores to shots is way below Lee Keegans so that is one important point to consider. Vaughan/Keegan neither can really contest in the air that I'v seen in Mayo matches. So if going to make that kind of switch Lee Keegan would cause more damage. Keegan might be able to come short to gather kickouts from Hennelly.
At this stage unlikely to be many changes but there is one I think is worth doing with an eye towards Dublin in a final. In the 2013 final if we had properly man marked Paul Flynn I think the final would have been over at half time. Flynn had way too much time and space to pickout his pass for Bernard Brogans goal. He had a big influence throughout the game. Keith Higgins if instructed to just concentrate on Flynn for 70 minutes would at least have been getting pressure on with his speed off the mark.
If Cunniffe returns then Keith Higgins can move out. Flynn is too tall for Barrett and too quick for Vaughan. Flynn kills you with his passing not his scoring. Disrupting passing is all about the defender being as close as possible to make the pass rushed and as innacurate as possible.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
Today, 10:01   #6377
keane2097

Would be a really bad sign for Mayo if they were to implement such a drastic system change as breaking up their excellent half back line and playing a completely untested player at midfield ahead of several quality performers IMO.
Today, 11:55   #6378
km79

team named shows no changes
Thanks from:
Today, 13:03   #6379
yop

Quote:
Originally Posted by km79 View Post
team named shows no changes
1.) Robert Hennelly - Breaffy
2.) Chris Barrett - Belmullet
3.) Ger Cafferkey - Ballina Stephenites
4.) Keith Higgins - Ballyhaunis
5.) Lee Keegan - Westport
6.) Colm Boyle - Davitts
7.) Donal Vaughan - Ballinrobe
8.) Barry Moran - Castlebar Mitchels
9.) Seamus O'Shea - Breaffy
10.) Kevin McLoughlin - Knockmore
11.) Aidan O'Shea - Breaffy
12.) Jason Doherty - Burrishoole
13.) Cillian O'Connor - Ballintubber
14.) Andy Moran - Ballaghaderreen (Capt.)
15.) Alan Dillon - Ballintubber

Minors:
1.) Matthew Flanagan - Balla
2.) Conor Kilkenny - Aghamore
3.) Seamus Cunniffe - Ballaghaderreen
4.) Eoin O Donoghue - Belmullet
5.) Jason Forkan - Kiltimagh
6.) Barry Duffy - Balla
7.) Sean Conlon - Castlebar Mitchels
8.) Gary Walsh - Breaffy
9.) Matthew Ruane - Breaffy
10.) Gary Boylan - Belmullet
11.) Cian Hanley - Ballaghaderreen (Capt.)
12.) Sharoize Akram - Ballaghaderreen
13.) Fionan Duffy - Crossmolina
14.) T.J. Byrne - Kiltimagh
15.) Brian Reape - Bohola Moy Davitts

16.) Scott Kilker - Belmullet
17.) Stephen Brennan - Claremorris
18.) Dylan Cannon - Breaffy
19.) David Clarke - Ballintubber
20.) Keith Hopkins - Crossmolina
21.) Conor Byrne - Bohola Moy Davitts
22.) Oisin Horan - Kilmovee Shamrocks
23.) Liam Byrne - Bohola Moy Davitts
24.) Jack Reilly - Charlestown Sarsfields
Today, 13:15   #6380
seligehgit

Quote:
Originally Posted by davegrohl48 View Post
I think long term Vaughan is more suited in that kind of role but it would need to have been road tested already for at least one game. I remember a lot of Ballinrobe match reports had him listed midfield. His percentage of scores to shots is way below Lee Keegans so that is one important point to consider. Vaughan/Keegan neither can really contest in the air that I'v seen in Mayo matches. So if going to make that kind of switch Lee Keegan would cause more damage. Keegan might be able to come short to gather kickouts from Hennelly.
At this stage unlikely to be many changes but there is one I think is worth doing with an eye towards Dublin in a final. In the 2013 final if we had properly man marked Paul Flynn I think the final would have been over at half time. Flynn had way too much time and space to pickout his pass for Bernard Brogans goal. He had a big influence throughout the game. Keith Higgins if instructed to just concentrate on Flynn for 70 minutes would at least have been getting pressure on with his speed off the mark.
If Cunniffe returns then Keith Higgins can move out. Flynn is too tall for Barrett and too quick for Vaughan. Flynn kills you with his passing not his scoring. Disrupting passing is all about the defender being as close as possible to make the pass rushed and as innacurate as possible.
Excellent post, yeah as much as Cluxton nullified Aidan O Shea's influence with his kickouts alongside Michael Dara McCauley's mobility. Paul Flynn's influence was immense and he does require a marker who compete height and speed wise. Who better than Zippy.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion