Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Info about Wexford Campus?

• 08-07-2014 7:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭

I am just been given a transfer to a course for 2nd year at the Wexford Campus as I was not not happy or settling in at all at my previous college and it's town in 1st year. So was happy to have gotten this offer, especially since I am originally from Carlow.

Only thing is what is the student life like in Wexford? Would it just only be a campus to go to courses and go home, or is there a buzz to it, like clubs and societies, college facilities like restaurants, cafes, shops, bank and library, students mixing and getting to know each?
    Also is there any bus from Carlow to Wexford? I plan on getting student accommodation in Wexford, but this is for the times i would go home for the holidays.

Also how are the courses at the campus? I am planning on doing visual communications and design and I'd like to know what the lecturers are like, what the work is like, if it involves a lot of presentations and group work, or none at all.

Sorry for wanting to know a lot, it's just that I want to make sure I am not transfering to a place that could be a lot worse.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,258 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I've never personally been to the Wexford campus, but it is a lot smaller so it wouldn't offer the same facilities as the Carlow campus. Looking online it's actually pretty hard to find a list of them!

I would imagine they have some sort of cafe type facility for food at least. In terms of library facilities, as far as I'm aware, students on the Wexford campus have access to all the same online resources as Carlow based students, and can access the library at IT Carlow, which may be handy for you when you're home in Carlow.

Clubs and Socs, I do remember hearing about clubs and socs at the Wexford campus, but again I can't be sure. My own view is, if you want to make friends, you will, and it might even be easier at a small campus like Wexford.

Transport wise, as far as I can figure out, there's no direct bus, it seems the best way is to go via Waterford, which might take a while, but may not be an issue if you plan to live in Wexford.

Accommodation info and more Wexford info are on the IT Carlow website: http://www.itcarlow.ie/study-at-itc/wexford-campus.htm

Sorry I was a bit vague but I hope I could help!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 KildareBlue

I've just finished my second year of the Visual Communications and Design course so I'll try to give you as much information about the campus and the course as I can.

The college itself only has a library and a canteen, but the main shopping street in Wexford is about a five minute walk away, so it's relatively central. There aren't that many clubs or societies, definitely far fewer than in the Carlow Campus. Off the top of my head, there was a men's soccer team, yoga and basketball in the last year and a few fitness classes took place just after the Christmas break. There are also societies specific to some of the courses.

As far as I'm aware, there is no bus connection between Carlow and Wexford and unless you have a car, going between the two is very difficult. Most of the student body seem to be based locally, so unless lot more people from outside Wexford begin to attend the campus, I can't really see that changing for the foreseeable future. Finding student accommodation can be a bit of an issue, but I'd still highly recommend looking at the link in artanevilla's post.

I've found Wexford itself to be a very quiet town with not much student life, but I wouldn't be one to go out very often anyway. Over the past couple of years, as with most colleges, there were some events on around Halloween, Christmas and RAG Week. Between full- and part-time courses, there are less than one thousand students and I'd imagine also affects the number of events. Class sizes are small for the majority of the courses. It's quite easy to get to know people because of that.

If you're starting in second year, you'll be doing Marketing, Professional Practice, Creative Studio, Film Studies, Art & Design History and Media Arts. Based on my own experience, you will have to give one presentation in Marketing and perhaps a few in Professional Practice as well. There's a bit of group work in some classes, but not a whole lot and, generally, I've found the lecturers to be quite approachable. Do you have any experience with HTML and CSS? If you do, it would definitely help for Media Arts, as would experience with Flash for Creative Studio, but if you don't, you'll be starting with the basics of each in those classes.

I hope I've answered most of your questions there and, most importantly, not put you off the course or the college! If you want any more specific information, feel free to PM me.

Advertisement