Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Looking for housing/flat shares? Post here *Do not post them in the main forum area*

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭9bred4

entropi wrote: »
    You're in the right place anyway. Hopefully some more first years will come along in the same situation as yourself and you'll get something sorted.

Enjoy your time in Carlow, it's a grand spot!

Hopefully I can find a few looking to do the same thing I am too!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭kdogkeith

9bred4 wrote: »
    Err, is it alright to start with this again? I might be going to Carlow this coming September as a first year and was looking for maybe other first years to live with.. wrong place? right place?

You should find somebody else on this also when you contact landlords ask who else you will be living with. There will be a lot of first years in carriag abhainn but its very expensive. Definitely view houses in person before agreeing to anything a place can look great in pictures but be a piece of crap when you get there (I got badly caught that way).
    Definitely read up on the rights and responsibilities of the tenant and the landlord because a lot of landlords will completely ignore them and try to scam you out of your deposit. Hope I haven't scared you off
    Good luck it's a great place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Awkward Badger

I've posted this in the third level accommodation forum but probably best have it here too.
    [Wanted]Mature student accommodation Carlow.

I'm a mature student going into 3rd year in IT Carlow in Sept and looking for somewhere with other similar type students. Whether its mature students or 3rd/4th years. Just mature, respectful, quiet people to share a house with near the IT.

Please drop me a pm if you need someone to fill a room in such a place, are also interesting in getting such a place or even just know of such a place.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jieggie

Hi guys, my friend and I are both 22 y.o. from Malaysia (both males if you are wondering) and we're both starting the semester at carlow IT next month. Since we're half a world away, it's quite difficult for us to make any commitments before even having the chance to view the places we see on the websites. If you need more people to fill up some vacant rooms, it would certainly makes things alot simpler and save us a lot of time as well. Pm me if you guys need extra people or have any recommendations that might prove helpful :)

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭LoveLamps

Lads what's the best way for two lads going into first year to look for accommodation? We wanna live together with other people but no idea where to start... Neither of us know Carlow either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Heiseinberg

Sean_pop wrote: »
    I am no longer a student of IT Carlow but I have lived in quiet a few places down there. I was lucky enough to find the best place in 2nd year. (47 Southern Gardens) It had 5 bedrooms and two on suites. 4 bedrooms upstairs and 1 downstairs. Your best option is to have a look at Daft.ie. I would highly recommend living in (47 Southern Gardens). Some of the places down in Southern Gardens are over priced and are not great. I paid 60 per week at 47 southern gardens and bins were included. broadband and electricity work out cheap enough with 5 people sharing. Very close to the college as well 10 min walk. I may have the landlords number if you are interested. let me know.
    hey can you please give me a number for the Landlord

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭oscillating wildely

Seems to me it is the landlord promoting himself.

Word of advice check to see if it is registered with PRTB as I couldn't find it registered hence you would have no legal rights!

Remember all properties must be registered with PRTB, you must receive a rent book and the property must also have a BER certificate; if any of these is not in existence then the property should be avoided as landlord is undeclared hence you will have no official rights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭DO'Carlo/Wex

Seems to me it is the landlord promoting himself.

Word of advice check to see if it is registered with PRTB as I couldn't find it registered hence you would have no legal rights!

Remember all properties must be registered with PRTB, you must receive a rent book and the property must also have a BER certificate; if any of these is not in existence then the property should be avoided as landlord is undeclared hence you will have no official rights.

While I agree 100% with you regarding the PRTB, the BER is too ambiguous. Like if Letting/Selling it's an "A", if Renting/Buying it's an "E".

My deciding factors are what type of heating's in the place; I swear by (natural) gas whereas mention of electric or storage heaters/heating puts me off due to horror stories re bills and indeed their actual effect or lack thereof?

As a long-term renter in the town I'd also suggest looking to cut, do a deal with landlord esp. if living in a 1 or 2 Bed Flat, Apartment etc.?

I.e. Get an "All In" to incl. Electricity & Gas etc. Most will do the bins as a matter of course.

The Union in the IT are quite helpful I find/found in the past as are Student Services regarding Threshold etc.

Touch base with the Welfare Officer there.

Also consider your options regarding TV & Broadband. Think about contracts.

UPC are in the town but if you break the contract within the 1st 12 Months it's a €200e Cancellation Fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭oscillating wildely

I don't understand your statement that a BER is ambiguous depending upon the position you find yourself in; the certificate is a legal document stating the rating so I fail to see where the ambiguity lies.

I agree with you regarding the hearing, gas is cleaner and probably cheaper.

My main point is that there are a lot of unscrupulous landlords out there and I speak from a position of being a landlord - not to students mind - and also from having lived in an estate that was heavily student populated.

Also, don't forget simple things like ensuring there is easy access out of the building in the case of fire and that fire extinguishers and blankets should also be provided.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Hi there, just started pre-nursing in the college of further education and im looking for a room for the year, any help much appreciated, thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 tom_iarmhi

Hello, I'm going into to second year and am finding it hard to get accommodation. Is the accommodation office open ?, because I have tried ringing but there was no answer

Advertisement